Bryce Hall, Astyn Davis, Lamar Jackson and Javelin Guidry

6 hours ago, flgreen said:

Not sure Williams feels that way.  Bless was benched the last two games.  Suspect Williams is having something to say about all these DB's the Jets are signing. 

He had a couple bad plays but I do not think he was benched. It was pretty amazing he could play at all, and I just think they shut him down for the remainder of the season.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

8 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Here’s a fun fact: 

Brian Poole, Marcus Maye, and Quincy Wilson all played together on the same secondary at Florida.  

We also just added former Gators, Jabari Zuniga and La’Mical Perine to the team. @JiF should be stoked. 

Douglas was serious when he mentioned building the mist cohesive team in sports. That starts with pairing of friends and former teammates. Our secondary plus Gregg Williams has the potential to make us the best D in the afc east now.

Desir, Austin, Poole, Maulet, Hall, Adams, Maye, Davis, Wilson, Jackson, and Hairston hive give us fabulous depth and surprising young talent on the back end. We haven't had a secondary with this kind of depth since the Rex Ryan years. We now have speed, height and physicality in our db core. Better coverage equals more sacks also. Pretty excited about this group for the first time in a long time.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

25 minutes ago, TNJet said:

Douglas was serious when he mentioned building the mist cohesive team in sports. That starts with pairing of friends and former teammates. Our secondary plus Gregg Williams has the potential to make us the best D in the afc east now.

Desir, Austin, Poole, Maulet, Hall, Adams, Maye, Davis, Wilson, Jackson, and Hairston hive give us fabulous depth and surprising young talent on the back end. We haven't had a secondary with this kind of depth since the Rex Ryan years. We now have speed, height and physicality in our db core. Better coverage equals more sacks also. Pretty excited about this group for the first time in a long time.

Agreed.

It's also why I think if Pittman Jr. had fallen to 48, he would have been the pick in the 2nd round. Reuniting him with Darnold. 

• Upvote 2

Not a fixed secondary at all. It’s a lot of names with a lot to prove. We have depth and we don’t have a Trumaine Johnson shaped hole anymore so that’s good. There’s upside here but there is a lot to prove.

i think our depth chart ends up

LCB- Desir, Hall, Maulet

RCB- Austin, Hairston, L Jackson 

NCB - Poole, Maulet, Guidry

FS - Maye, Davis, B Jackson

SS- Adams, Farley

That’s not a great secondary but it’s better than last year. I also don’t think Wilson makes the team. He has the most to prove. 

• Upvote 1

Competition will push the cream to the top for GW. I don't think I've ever seen the Jets have this many athletes vying for 2 CB spots. Poole is a lock, Bless was freaking impressive for a guy missing his senior season & playing in the NFL with zero camp? I think GW benched him because he was spent mentally & physically. 

Jets CBs were on a freaking Island last year with no pass rush unless we blitzed. Even when we blitzed we were very inconsistent in our pass rush. 

Depth allows you rotate guys, play match up, and with the addition of Davis you'll have occasions where only 1 of who you consider THE BEST CB in that group on the field. Our LB core is TREMENDOUS! When you consider that Avery Williamson is expendable you've got a really good LB group. The return of Mosely, one of the best interior Dlines in the NFL vs the run, QW in his 2nd year with GW screaming in his ear, Adams, Maye, if JD can somehow add Clowney or Griffin, this defense ATHLETICALLY is way better than 2009-2010 Rex years outside of Revis. Way faster at every other position. 

• Upvote 2

A lot of comments about Clowney in this thread ... worth noting that FA signings are approaching the date where they no longer count against the comp pick formula (some time early May). I reckon the Clowney discussions will pick up shortly.

• Upvote 3

On 4/26/2020 at 3:11 PM, JetBlue said:

Did we just draft a brand new secondary?  In all the talk about wide receivers and OL, Joe D has pulled off something that is borderline miraculous.   We may have totally revamped our secondary for years to come both in starters and depth.   If healthy I think Hall beats out Austin,  Davis may or may not start but he will get plenty of playing time.  Lamar Jackson may be the biggest CB in football at 6'3 215.   I could see him playing against big, physical receivers, TEs and in the red zone.   In Guidry we may have someone to defend all those small, quick receivers that Bill Belichek loves to use.   Dude is only 5'9 but is tough as nails and runs a 4.2 forty!    This doesn't even include Quincy Wilson and Pierre Desir.   If we can get any semblance of a pass rush, this team could surprise some people.  

Competition is going to be INTENSE!

Yea I noticed secondary and OL both could have totally different starting units.  Great work by JD.

Jets starting receiving unit...along with TE Herndon...and Bell's elite receiving skills...can do serious damage.

Pass rush.  If healthy Zuniga can be a big contributor.  Jenkins solid for his usual 7-8.  If this guy can have a breakout season...he can make it formidable.  And Jets could compete for the wide open AFCE.

Release the Kraken...

• Upvote 1

On 4/26/2020 at 3:38 PM, johnnysd said:

Not sure why everyone is so sour on Bless, he played REALY well last year.

Funny you feel this way.  I feel the opposite.  I like Austin, but he played okay for a few games against generally atrocious competition.  3/4 of the board is already anointing him as a plus starter.  I think the Ravens were the only team with an offense he played against.  He had the blown coverage against the Steelers before the half and never saw the field again.  He has potential, but IMO he has as much to prove as anybody else out there.

On 4/26/2020 at 4:42 PM, flgreen said:

Not sure Williams feels that way.  Bless was benched the last two games.  Suspect Williams is having something to say about all these DB's the Jets are signing. 

C'mon it was only a game and a half.  ;)

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2020 at 1:29 AM, kdels62 said:

Not a fixed secondary at all. It’s a lot of names with a lot to prove. We have depth and we don’t have a Trumaine Johnson shaped hole anymore so that’s good. There’s upside here but there is a lot to prove.

LCB- Desir, Hall, Maulet

SS- Adams, Farley

That’s not a great secondary but it’s better than last year. I also don’t think Wilson makes the team. He has the most to prove. 

ILB2 - Adams

FS - Davis

SS - Maye

On 4/26/2020 at 8:14 PM, C Mart said:

You forgot Quincy Wilson 

Not sure how I feel about this one.  Indy FO seems to have their act together, so I can't see why they'd give the Jets a starting CB for pick 211.  I've seen a lot of people refer to him as CB2 or a starting player but if that's the case, why was Indy in such a rush to dump him?

All secondaries suck if you can't pressure! Did you guys watch the final game Miami vs Patriots? Gilmore, McCourty, Fitzy tore them a New A hole because they got zero pressure! He was converting 3rd downs over & over in the 2nd half! This is the NFL, YOU HAVE TO PRESSURE THE QB! 

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Not sure how I feel about this one.  Indy FO seems to have their act together, so I can't see why they'd give the Jets a starting CB for pick 211.  I've seen a lot of people refer to him as CB2 or a starting player but if that's the case, why was Indy in such a rush to dump him?

Having Rhodes and Ya-Sin as your starters sets you up pretty well I think.  I guess they feel they have enough depth and didn't want to pay him the $1.25 million this year.  Cap hit would have been 1.75 million, but only 0.5 million dead cap with the trade to the Jets.  

On 4/26/2020 at 3:34 PM, jetstream23 said:

Is this what we're thinking?

CB1 - Desir, Austin, Hairston, Hall

CB2 - Wilson, Maulet, Jackson, Guidry

Nickel CB - Poole, Austin

I think at Guidry's size he is pretty much looking at being a slot/nickel guy.  HIs arm length is actually pretty good considering his size, but I am pretty sure that is what he played at Utah.

On 4/26/2020 at 3:56 PM, Jetlife33 said:

Didn’t realize Quincy Wilson is only 23 years old, still huge upside with him as a man press corner. 

He is young, but this is his contract year.  He has missed games with injury every year, and quite a few on coach's decision.  I like the pickup, but I am not penciling him in anywhere until he proves himself.

• Upvote 1

Poole, Bless and Desir are the best CBs the Jets have right now. 

Hall does not have the speed or athleticism that Bless has nor does he have the vet savvy or positional skills of Desir. I think you can pretty much pencil those two at CB 1 and CB 2. Poole has the Nickel spot locked down. Maulet has shown enough to have the edge in holding down the #4 Dime spot. I really like Hall but and I think he will make the roster. Q.Wilson is a wild card. If healthy he has a great shot to take the last CB spot on the roster. This means Hairston would get cut and so would K.Brown. 

I like Guidry, he's a fantastic athlete and really fast but his size will hold him back, regardless of where he plays. That's why he was not drafted. He is probably a PS candidate. 

L.Jackson is a big, athletic CB with a ton of upside but he's also a major project. Also a PS candidate IMO. 

As far as safeties, barring a trade, Maye and Adams will be starting and Davis will get a lot of reps in different packages. I would imagine they keep 1 more safety on the roster and I have no idea who that would be. Farley? Jackson? Maybe they move one of the CBs to safety? K.Brown or L.Jackson? 

On 4/27/2020 at 1:29 AM, kdels62 said:

LCB- Desir, Hall, Maulet

SS- Adams, Farley

It's far superior than what we had last year at this time. The 2 biggest needs we had were OL and CB and JD has done a great job upgrading both. 

10 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

Yea I noticed secondary and OL both could have totally different starting units.  Great work by JD.

Jets starting receiving unit...along with TE Herndon...and Bell's elite receiving skills...can do serious damage.

Pass rush.  If healthy Zuniga can be a big contributor.  Jenkins solid for his usual 7-8.  If this guy can have a breakout season...he can make it formidable.  And Jets could compete for the wide open AFCE.

Release the Kraken...

I'd add the kid Huff from Memphis that we signed as an UDFA into that mix of  pass rushers.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

It's far superior than what we had last year at this time. The 2 biggest needs we had were OL and CB and JD has done a great job upgrading both. 

This time last year we heard “Tru is back with Greg Williams so he’ll be better.” At this point of the year there’s optimism but with our CBs there should be a lot of skepticism. It’s a young group that has proven inconsistent (Poole and Desir) or has accomplished nothing at the pro level.  If Desir and Poole have good years the rest will fall into place but I’m not counting on it, I am hoping for it tho.

On 4/26/2020 at 3:11 PM, JetBlue said:

Did we just draft a brand new secondary?  In all the talk about wide receivers and OL, Joe D has pulled off something that is borderline miraculous.   We may have totally revamped our secondary for years to come both in starters and depth.   If healthy I think Hall beats out Austin,  Davis may or may not start but he will get plenty of playing time.  Lamar Jackson may be the biggest CB in football at 6'3 215.   I could see him playing against big, physical receivers, TEs and in the red zone.   In Guidry we may have someone to defend all those small, quick receivers that Bill Belichek loves to use.   Dude is only 5'9 but is tough as nails and runs a 4.2 forty!    This doesn't even include Quincy Wilson and Pierre Desir.   If we can get any semblance of a pass rush, this team could surprise some people.  

Competition is going to be INTENSE!

Who was the CB we drafted a couple of years ago (from a small school) who had blazing speed but couldn't stay healthy?  What ever happened to that guy?

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

ILB2 - Adams

FS - Davis

SS - Maye

I think something like this is right..

Just feels to me like they want to keep Adams near the LOS - it's where he seems to have the most impact.  From what understand Davis is a bit of a jack of all trades.

From hearing the way he tackles I get the sense Davis will be more the SS while Maye can play centerfielder.

I just think we're going to see the 3 of them on the field a lot.

57 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Who was the CB we drafted a couple of years ago (from a small school) who had blazing speed but couldn't stay healthy?  What ever happened to that guy?

Do you mean Derrick Jones? They took him in 2017.  He was as athletic as they come but he wasn't from a small school.  He went to Ole Miss and they are in the SEC.  He was a converted WR and not very good.  They cut him mid-camp last year.  A couple of teams had him in, but he failed physicals.  Last I heard he was in the XFL (RIP).  Maybe you meant Jeremy Clark? He was taken in the same draft out of Michigan.  He was hurt when drafted (like Blessaun Austin) and couldn't work out and never really got any run.  He was IRed before Jones got cut and waived injured at the start of the season.  I think he is/was on the same XFL team as Jones.   

The only other CBs drafted by Maccagnan were Austin last year, Nickerson from Tulane now with the Panthers and Juston Burris.   Burris actually got a contract this year with the Panthers 2/$8M, but I think he converted to safety.  Idzik drafted McDougle who was always hurt and was trade to the Eagles.  He was the definition of always hurt, but Maryland isnt a small school and he isn't blazing fast.  He kicked around a bit and I think is in the CFL now.

Damn these guys were pathetic at drafting in the secondary.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

Having Rhodes and Ya-Sin as your starters sets you up pretty well I think.  I guess they feel they have enough depth and didn't want to pay him the $1.25 million this year.  Cap hit would have been 1.75 million, but only 0.5 million dead cap with the trade to the Jets.  

If they want to deal him that's one thing, but why not get fair value for a "starting" cornerback?  Surely that would fetch more than pick 211 if they thought he was any good, right?

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do you mean Derrick Jones? They took him in 2017.  He was as athletic as they come but he wasn't from a small school.  He went to Ole Miss and they are in the SEC.  He was a converted WR and not very good.  They cut him mid-camp last year.  A couple of teams had him in, but he failed physicals.  Last I heard he was in the XFL (RIP).  Maybe you meant Jeremy Clark? He was taken in the same draft out of Michigan.  He was hurt when drafted (like Blessaun Austin) and couldn't work out and never really got any run.  He was IRed before Jones got cut and waived injured at the start of the season.  I think he is/was on the same XFL team as Jones.   

The only other CBs drafted by Maccagnan were Austin last year, Nickerson from Tulane now with the Panthers and Juston Burris.   Burris actually got a contract this year with the Panthers 2/$8M, but I think he converted to safety.  Idzik drafted McDougle who was always hurt and was trade to the Eagles.  He was the definition of always hurt, but Maryland isnt a small school and he isn't blazing fast.  He kicked around a bit and I think is in the CFL now.

Damn these guys were pathetic at drafting in the secondary.

Yep Parry Nickerson.  Sorry for making you type all that out when I was just lazy about looking up his name.  I see he's with the Jags now.

18 hours ago, AFJF said:

He is in his walk year. He was a part time starter coming off a down year.  You aren't getting much for a guy like that.   

e

is

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I think something like this is right..

Just feels to me like they want to keep Adams near the LOS - it's where he seems to have the most impact.  From what understand Davis is a bit of a jack of all trades.

From hearing the way he tackles I get the sense Davis will be more the SS while Maye can play centerfielder.

I just think we're going to see the 3 of them on the field a lot.

Davis is fast.  Maye is not.  Slow centerfielders defat the purpose.  Davis is a nice prospect but reckless with short arms which pushed him down. I don't think he I as prototypical as we are hearing.