Bryce Hall, Astyn Davis, Lamar Jackson and Javelin Guidry

On 4/28/2020 at 12:39 AM, #27TheDominator said:

Funny you feel this way.  I feel the opposite.  I like Austin, but he played okay for a few games against generally atrocious competition.  3/4 of the board is already anointing him as a plus starter.  I think the Ravens were the only team with an offense he played against.  He had the blown coverage against the Steelers before the half and never saw the field again.  He has potential, but IMO he has as much to prove as anybody else out there.

C'mon it was only a game and a half.  ;)

There is an excellent breakdown here of how much GW protected Austin last year.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2020/4/22/21229707/is-the-jets-best-bet-at-cornerback-starting-bless-austin

The bottom line on Austin is that he stayed healthy and showed he can at least compete at the NFL level.  He also had 3 months to train before this whole mess started, which was basically his first offseason without rehab in years.  Hopefully he can build on his few games in 2019 and battle with Hall for CB2 this season.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 10:50 AM, PepPep said:

Poole, Bless and Desir are the best CBs the Jets have right now. 

Hall does not have the speed or athleticism that Bless has nor does he have the vet savvy or positional skills of Desir. I think you can pretty much pencil those two at CB 1 and CB 2. Poole has the Nickel spot locked down. Maulet has shown enough to have the edge in holding down the #4 Dime spot. I really like Hall but and I think he will make the roster. Q.Wilson is a wild card. If healthy he has a great shot to take the last CB spot on the roster. This means Hairston would get cut and so would K.Brown. 

I like Guidry, he's a fantastic athlete and really fast but his size will hold him back, regardless of where he plays. That's why he was not drafted. He is probably a PS candidate. 

L.Jackson is a big, athletic CB with a ton of upside but he's also a major project. Also a PS candidate IMO. 

As far as safeties, barring a trade, Maye and Adams will be starting and Davis will get a lot of reps in different packages. I would imagine they keep 1 more safety on the roster and I have no idea who that would be. Farley? Jackson? Maybe they move one of the CBs to safety? K.Brown or L.Jackson? 

Hall is head and shoulders above Bless in terms of talent and I like Bless.  But if Hall doesn’t get hurt he gets picked way earlier.  It’s a really good problem to have.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Mavericknyc1980 said:

Hall is head and shoulders above Bless in terms of talent and I like Bless.  But if Hall doesn’t get hurt he gets picked way earlier.  It’s a really good problem to have.

I like Bless alot.  I know a lot of posters here also do.

I'm not sure Greg Williams shares our feelings.  

On 4/26/2020 at 3:48 PM, derp said:

I think Shyheim Carter has a very legitimate chance to make the roster.

I don;'t.  He's not a actually very good. Nor is Guidry.  Those guys may just be a part of the first cuts. 

On 4/26/2020 at 3:11 PM, JetBlue said:

Did we just draft a brand new secondary?  In all the talk about wide receivers and OL, Joe D has pulled off something that is borderline miraculous.   We may have totally revamped our secondary for years to come both in starters and depth.   If healthy I think Hall beats out Austin,  Davis may or may not start but he will get plenty of playing time.  Lamar Jackson may be the biggest CB in football at 6'3 215.   I could see him playing against big, physical receivers, TEs and in the red zone.   In Guidry we may have someone to defend all those small, quick receivers that Bill Belichek loves to use.   Dude is only 5'9 but is tough as nails and runs a 4.2 forty!    This doesn't even include Quincy Wilson and Pierre Desir.   If we can get any semblance of a pass rush, this team could surprise some people.  

Competition is going to be INTENSE!

This really illustrates JD focused more on revamping the secondary and OL than WR corp.  Next year's draft JD focuses on WR and edge.  

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2020 at 7:27 AM, Jetster said:

Competition will push the cream to the top for GW. I don't think I've ever seen the Jets have this many athletes vying for 2 CB spots. Poole is a lock, Bless was freaking impressive for a guy missing his senior season & playing in the NFL with zero camp? I think GW benched him because he was spent mentally & physically. 

Jets CBs were on a freaking Island last year with no pass rush unless we blitzed. Even when we blitzed we were very inconsistent in our pass rush. 

Depth allows you rotate guys, play match up, and with the addition of Davis you'll have occasions where only 1 of who you consider THE BEST CB in that group on the field. Our LB core is TREMENDOUS! When you consider that Avery Williamson is expendable you've got a really good LB group. The return of Mosely, one of the best interior Dlines in the NFL vs the run, QW in his 2nd year with GW screaming in his ear, Adams, Maye, if JD can somehow add Clowney or Griffin, this defense ATHLETICALLY is way better than 2009-2010 Rex years outside of Revis. Way faster at every other position. 

I don't know if I am giving GW too much credit, but I think he benched Bless to light a fire under him for this year. He made one mistake and was put in the dog house. If I am a player, I am pissed. If I am the "right" player, I make sure I dont make that mistake again and look to come back the following year ready to go. 

10 minutes ago, Alentador31 said:

I don't know if I am giving GW too much credit, but I think he benched Bless to light a fire under him for this year. He made one mistake and was put in the dog house. If I am a player, I am pissed. If I am the "right" player, I make sure I dont make that mistake again and look to come back the following year ready to go. 

I totally agree with you. He messed up vs Pittsburgh, his only really glaring mistake all year. Maybe he didn't respond the way GW wanted in practice the following week, sulking, whatever, and he sent a clear message to him. Probably wanted to straighten his attitude out right from the start. Coaches usually don't do that to guys unless they really see something in them.

On 4/29/2020 at 8:36 AM, BCJet said:

There is an excellent breakdown here of how much GW protected Austin last year.

https://www.ganggreennation.com/2020/4/22/21229707/is-the-jets-best-bet-at-cornerback-starting-bless-austin

The bottom line on Austin is that he stayed healthy and showed he can at least compete at the NFL level.  He also had 3 months to train before this whole mess started, which was basically his first offseason without rehab in years.  Hopefully he can build on his few games in 2019 and battle with Hall for CB2 this season.

This was a great breakdown.