Veteran WRs who might come loose around the league

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

The fact that in a very deep wr draft we only draft one despite having many  chances to double dip means the jets are fine with who they have.  And this was Douglas's big sin in an otherwise fine to better than fine draft.  There is going to be a bit of remorse over some of these wrs we did not draft, mark my words.

The argument also can be made he didn’t double dip because he thinks he can get a more proven guy elsewhere. That being said I agree with you, one of only a few problems I had with this draft class was the only one receiver taken. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I think he'll let Gase take a look at what we have first. May see another Demaryius Thomas situation. May even be Demaryius Thomas again.

Definitely look short with a lot of unknowns. Perriman looked legit for the last 6 weeks of 2019 but was utter trash before that. Obviously have high hopes for Mims but it's possible he takes time to adapt. They probably want to see what they have in Doctson and Smith too. I do think we'll make a move eventually.

• Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The fact that in a very deep wr draft we only draft one despite having many  chances to double dip means the jets are fine with who they have.  And this was Douglas's big sin in an otherwise fine to better than fine draft.  There is going to be a bit of remorse over some of these wrs we did not draft, mark my words.

Or there could be wide praise around the league that they got Mims at the end round 2 if he turns to be a true number #1 none of us know they have never played a down in the league. Let's let it play out 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With a heavy emphasis on WRs in the draft comes consequences:  Several teams around the league are going to need to cut loose or trade some of their veteran receivers.  

Here's a few teams with receivers that might end up on the chopping block.  Perhaps not right away, but at some point later in the offseason.  

So we get to hope for the WRs the other teams don't want to have on their roster, huh?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

30 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Denver did a fantastic job surrounding Lock with talent this offseason, and they already had Sutton and Lindsey. Would love Fuller, Stills, or Cole if they shake loose. 

i dont thin Stills likes Gase much and I sont see why a team replacing Hopkins with Cooks and a 5th rounder would be moving anybody.  

That's a whole lot of puke. 

I seriously doubt Robert Woods shakes free from the Rams. That seems like one of those short sighted looked at the contract only situations. Rams *love* woods and his complete game. He's one of the better blocking WRs in the NFL right now as well.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I think he'll let Gase take a look at what we have first. May see another Demaryius Thomas situation. May even be Demaryius Thomas again.

Definitely look short with a lot of unknowns. Perriman looked legit for the last 6 weeks of 2019 but was utter trash before that. Obviously have high hopes for Mims but it's possible he takes time to adapt. They probably want to see what they have in Doctson and Smith too. I do think we'll make a move eventually.

I know injuries can come into play, but with Perriman, Mims, Crowder, Smith, Doctson, and Berrious(who has to make the team since he is the PR) that are the 6 spots with only Doctson as somebody that can be beaten out. So even in a deep draft after the Mims pick we probably would be looking at any WRs picked making the PS and perhaps have no better of a chance making the roster than UDFAs Cager or Campbell one of which may surprise.  

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With a heavy emphasis on WRs in the draft comes consequences:  Several teams around the league are going to need to cut loose or trade some of their veteran receivers.  

Here's a few teams with receivers that might end up on the chopping block.  Perhaps not right away, but at some point later in the offseason.  

Eagles

Drafted receivers:  Jalen Reagor (1.21); John Hightower (5.168); Quez Watkins (6.200)

Notable veterans who may be cut/traded:

• Alshon Jeffery
  • DeSean Jackson
  • JJ Arcega-Whiteside
  • Deontay Burnett

Cowboys

Drafted receivers:  CeeDee Lamb (1.17)

• Michael Gallup
  • Cedrick Wilson
  • Devin Smith

Raiders

Drafted receivers:  Henry Ruggs (pick 1.12); Lynn Bowden (3.80); Bryan Edwards (3.81)

• Nelson Aholor 
  • Zay Jones

Broncos

Drafted receivers:  Jerry Jeudy (1.15); K.J. Hamler (2.46); Tyrie Cleveland (7.252)

• DaeSean Hamilton
  • Diontae Spencer
  • Tim Patrick

Jaguars

Drafted receivers:  Laviska Shenault (2.42); Collin Johnson (5.165)

• Chris Conley
  • Keelan Cole

Rams

Drafted receivers:  Van Jefferson (2.57)

• Robert Woods

Ravens

Drafted receivers:  Devin Duvernay (3.92); James Proche (6.201)

• Willie Snead

Chargers

Drafted receivers:  Joe Reed (5.151); K.J. Hill (7.220)

• Mike Williams

Texans

Drafted receivers:  Isaiah Coulter (5.171)

• Will Fuller
  • Kenny Stills

Mike Williams?   Where do we sign?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

Denver did a fantastic job surrounding Lock with talent this offseason, and they already had Sutton and Lindsey. Would love Fuller, Stills, or Cole if they shake loose. 

Still have Garret Bolles blocking the blindside... but I do really like what they did for Lock as far as weapons; added Jeudy & Hamler and that TE on day 3. 

If Bolles continues how he played down the stretch and the continue to protect him with scheme, and Juwaun James stays healthy, the sky is the limit for Lock. 

I think if a decent vet becomes a cap casualty we’ll consider it. Also think Cager and Campbell will have every opportunity to make the team.

i know this isn’t exactly on thread topic but I truly believe the upgrades across the o line that give Sam time, make the current wr group so much better. A run game will make the wr group better. Add in a healthy Herndon combined with Griffin, we’ll be ok. A lot of size, speed, and youth.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Yep. 

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

That offense is loaded. Gordon and Lindsay, all those WR and TE??? Damn.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Eagles

Drafted receivers:  Jalen Reagor (1.21); John Hightower (5.168); Quez Watkins (6.200)

• Alshon Jeffery
  • DeSean Jackson
  • JJ Arcega-Whiteside
  • Deontay Burnett

Go look at Over-the-Cap for Eagles. Alston just signed a big contract in off-season. Dead money is huge

• Upvote 1

I'm looking at our roster and I'm thinking the Jets carried 5 WRs last year. 

Mims, Crowder, Perriman are locks. They signed Doctson. They have V.Smith, Berrios and Bellamy who along with PS guys in Malone, Hatcher, Chesson, J.Smith.  

Then they signed a big red zone target in Cager as an UDFA who I personally like a lot. I think he has a great chance to make the roster because of the unique skill set he brings.  And then there is UDFA George Campbell, another big target at 6'4 but more of a speedster. 

I'm thinking they have plenty of options on the roster to fill those two depth spots on the roster. Even if they carry 6 WRs, 3 guys from this list could easily make the roster without signing other team's scraps. 

However, if a really good receiver is cut, I have no issue bringing him in. OBVIOUSLY. I just want to see what we have in the young guys we brought in.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, JETSALLDAY24X said:

Or there could be wide praise around the league that they got Mims at the end round 2 if he turns to be a true number #1 none of us know they have never played a down in the league. Let's let it play out 

The let play it out comment is non committal.

I was very happy to get mims, elated to get him after the trade down.  That doesn't mean we could have not gotten at least one more really good prospect in case he does not turn out or gets injured or recycled guys like perriman or docton fail.

If a draft is super strong in one position it is prudent to take advantage of that.  We did not even have to invest a high pick to do so.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Maybe. Maybe not. 
They’re already talking up the 2021 WR class as better than the 2020 WR class. 

59 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I know injuries can come into play, but with Perriman, Mims, Crowder, Smith, Doctson, and Berrious(who has to make the team since he is the PR) that are the 6 spots with only Doctson as somebody that can be beaten out. So even in a deep draft after the Mims pick we probably would be looking at any WRs picked making the PS and perhaps have no better of a chance making the roster than UDFAs Cager or Campbell one of which may surprise.  

Ashtyn Davis is just a kick returner right? Does he do punts?

i hate having Berrios take up a roster spot just for that.  Though I guess with game day rosters going up to 55 from 53 it’ll be less of a sacrifice 

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The let play it out comment is non committal.

I was very happy to get mims, elated to get him after the trade down.  That doesn't mean we could have not gotten at least one more really good prospect in case he does not turn out or gets injured or recycles guys like perriman or docton fail.

If a raft is super strong in one position it is prudent to take advantage of that.  We did not even have to invest a high pick to do so.

I prob would’ve liked another WR instead of Davis at that point in the draft. After that I’m fine with the directions they went. 
Not gonna fix it all in one shot. 

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I'm looking at our roster and I'm thinking the Jets carried 5 WRs last year. 

Mims, Crowder, Perriman are locks. They signed Doctson. They have V.Smith, Berrios and Bellamy who along with PS guys in Malone, Hatcher, Chesson, J.Smith.  

Then they signed a big red zone target in Cager as an UDFA who I personally like a lot. I think he has a great chance to make the roster because of the unique skill set he brings.  And then there is UDFA George Campbell, another big target at 6'4 but more of a speedster. 

I'm thinking they have plenty of options on the roster to fill those two depth spots on the roster. Even if they carry 6 WRs, 3 guys from this list could easily make the roster without signing other team's scraps. 

However, if a really good receiver is cut, I have no issue bringing him in. OBVIOUSLY. I just want to see what we have in the young guys we brought in.  

This.  We’re acting like these 4th and 5th rounders we didn’t take are all locks to make their teams. We already have plenty of developmental guys to look at. Hopefully one of them makes the grade like Robbie did. 

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Davis drafted in the 3rd is also a returner... And well accomplished... So berrios may be gone

• Upvote 1