Veteran WRs who might come loose around the league

1 hour ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I know injuries can come into play, but with Perriman, Mims, Crowder, Smith, Doctson, and Berrious(who has to make the team since he is the PR) that are the 6 spots with only Doctson as somebody that can be beaten out. So even in a deep draft after the Mims pick we probably would be looking at any WRs picked making the PS and perhaps have no better of a chance making the roster than UDFAs Cager or Campbell one of which may surprise.  

I wouldn't say any of the bold would be locks at all. A punt returner can be changed, especially if they find another guy who can offer something in that area too (Ashtyn Davis could probably return punts). None of these guys have proven a thing beyond the odd flash. They should absolutely be fighting for their place. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sign me up for Deontay Burnett and Devin Smith!

Does anyone know if Lyn Bowden will line up all over the field for the raiders?

With a heavy emphasis on WRs in the draft comes consequences:  Several teams around the league are going to need to cut loose or trade some of their veteran receivers.   Here's a few teams with recei

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

With a heavy emphasis on WRs in the draft comes consequences:  Several teams around the league are going to need to cut loose or trade some of their veteran receivers.  

Here's a few teams with receivers that might end up on the chopping block.  Perhaps not right away, but at some point later in the offseason.  

Eagles

Drafted receivers:  Jalen Reagor (1.21); John Hightower (5.168); Quez Watkins (6.200)

Notable veterans who may be cut/traded:

• Alshon Jeffery
  • DeSean Jackson
  • JJ Arcega-Whiteside
  • Deontay Burnett

Cowboys

Drafted receivers:  CeeDee Lamb (1.17)

• Michael Gallup
  • Cedrick Wilson
  • Devin Smith

Raiders

Drafted receivers:  Henry Ruggs (pick 1.12); Lynn Bowden (3.80); Bryan Edwards (3.81)

• Nelson Aholor 
  • Zay Jones

Broncos

Drafted receivers:  Jerry Jeudy (1.15); K.J. Hamler (2.46); Tyrie Cleveland (7.252)

• DaeSean Hamilton
  • Diontae Spencer
  • Tim Patrick

Jaguars

Drafted receivers:  Laviska Shenault (2.42); Collin Johnson (5.165)

• Chris Conley
  • Keelan Cole

Rams

Drafted receivers:  Van Jefferson (2.57)

• Robert Woods

Ravens

Drafted receivers:  Devin Duvernay (3.92); James Proche (6.201)

• Willie Snead

Chargers

Drafted receivers:  Joe Reed (5.151); K.J. Hill (7.220)

• Mike Williams

Texans

Drafted receivers:  Isaiah Coulter (5.171)

• Will Fuller
  • Kenny Stills

I could see, Jeffrey, Burnett, Stills and Zay Jones being cut, the others IDK, the Rams still need Woods, no way do the Boys cut Gallup, Mike Williams? I think the Chargers want every weapon they can conjure to help out Herbert.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The let play it out comment is non committal.

I was very happy to get mims, elated to get him after the trade down.  That doesn't mean we could have not gotten at least one more really good prospect in case he does not turn out or gets injured or recycles guys like perriman or docton fail.

If a raft is super strong in one position it is prudent to take advantage of that.  We did not even have to invest a high pick to do so.

I think you are going to be amazed at what this offense can do with an improved online. We have some serious speed at the position if Enunwa is healthy which is a big if then we got something. We got 2 good tightend's and now 2 running backs who can catch out of the backfield. We'll be ok

• Upvote 1
I could see, Jeffrey, Burnett, Stills and Zay Jones being cut, the others IDK, the Rams still need Woods, no way do the Boys cut Gallup, Mike Williams? I think the Chargers want every weapon they can conjure to help out Herbert.

Williams was rumored to be on the trade block months before the draft. They likely don’t want to extend him beyond his rookie deal. And his 5th year option is expensive.
The top names on your list are all wishful thinking.  

Of course, but kicking the tires can’t hurt.

The Rams, for instance, are $5M over the cap. Trading Woods now saves them about $6M.

I think Fuller is the most realistic trade target on here who I’d be interested in. He hits FA after the season, so he’d essentially be on a 1-year prove it deal if acquired on the cheap. JD, as we know, likes those 1-year deals.

Take Robert Woods and Mike Williams off this list.
Both are potentially top 20 WR's in the league.

Woods is, yes.

Williams, decidedly not. He was drafted high but has been a pretty massive disappointment. And as I said a few posts up, the Chargers were rumored to be looking to trade him away weeks prior to the draft.
4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course, but kicking the tires can’t hurt.

The Rams, for instance, are $5M over the cap. Trading Woods now saves them about $6M.

I think Fuller is the most realistic trade target on here who I’d be interested in. He hits FA after the season, so he’d essentially be on a 1-year prove it deal if acquired on the cheap. JD, as we know, likes those 1-year deals.

Texans fans may legitimately hunt down BoB if he trades Fuller.

Even with his injury issues he’s a huge fan favourite and they’ve already lost Hopkins - The blowback to that has been so significant that there’s no way he’s not aware of it. Not to mention Watson might just say f*ck this and demand a trade.

I doubt there’s any chance you get him without grossly overpaying. They have the same plan to let him prove himself this year.

For our Jets offense it's all about health. HERNDON + GRIFFIN WILL BE WEAPONS, Sam Darnold loves TEs. 

Though Herndon f*cked up last year getting suspended & hurt rehabbing by himself, HEALTHY he's easily the best TE in the AFC East based on his numbers with a Rookie QB! Sam is going into his 3rd year, 2nd in the same offense. Mims + Perriman is already better than Robby + who ever played at #2 WR last year. 

Now you have Bell + Perine, both RBs can catch out of the backfield, but the biggest improvement that will help EVERYONE will be the revamped starting Offensive Line! You guys know this, in the NFL if you give an AVERAGE QB time, his guys will get open! You can't cover EVERYONE when a QB gets time. Our routes will be deeper, teams won't be able to crowd the LOS, the running game will be stronger which means PLAY ACTION will even afford Sam MORE TIME to find guys open. 

It will take some time to get all of these new guys on the same page but just look at our 2nd half of last year when that crappy Oline settled down. What we'll need is the defense to hold the fort for the 1st quarter of the season & we should see offensive growth each week. 

We went from having 1 skinny dude & a bunch of question marks to a 6-3" 207 Lb Mims, plus 6-2" 209 Lb Perriman, plus the return of Herndon, which will make it now MUCH HARDER for defenses to bracket Crowder. It's like dominos, and with these additions compared to last year, Bell becomes that much more dangerous with more room to do his thing. 

It will be a much more balanced team with speed & more strength. 

• Upvote 2
5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I did. If they trade him after June 1 they save almost $10M with about a $5M dead cap hit.

Oh Wow! Didn’t see that. He played big when they won the SB. Played well the following year too, but dropped the pass that would have gotten them into the playoffs. Would love to have him in NY. 

We need Herndon to turn into a legit Top 10 TE and/or Mims to be Michael Thomas for us to be okay.

Darnold is in a bad situation again. He was always going to be unless we paid out the ass. It still should be better though and if the line improves as it should we’ll see what he can do.

A lot of pressure on Sam this season to perform.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Some rumors coming out of Pittsburgh that the team doesn’t want to re-up JuJu and he could be on the block.

Now getting this guy ends all talk about WR’s sucking.

• Upvote 1

I think if JD grabbed another WR instead of the QB in round 4, it would have made this a perfect draft for him on paper. We passed on plenty of WR names that are going to contribute to NFL rosters for a developmental backup QB.  That being said, we signed a few UDFA's at the position and I'm curious if Berrios and Smith can build on their limited time last year and have an impact in 2020.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Some rumors coming out of Pittsburgh that the team doesn’t want to re-up JuJu and he could be on the block.

Typical Steeler move, and it will probably not work out well for the team that acquires him.  

• Upvote 1
23 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Woods is, yes.

Williams, decidedly not. He was drafted high but has been a pretty massive disappointment. And as I said a few posts up, the Chargers were rumored to be looking to trade him away weeks prior to the draft.

Massive disappointment?  Really?  He had 1000 yards last year, 10 TDs in 2018.  The Jets will be happy if Mims disappoints like that.

• Haha 1
17 minutes ago, adb280z said:

Massive disappointment?  Really?  He had 1000 yards last year, 10 TDs in 2018.  The Jets will be happy if Mims disappoints like that.

We didn't use a top 10 pick on Mims.  But point taken.  

15 hours ago, ChuckkieB said:

I think if JD grabbed another WR instead of the QB in round 4, it would have made this a perfect draft for him on paper. We passed on plenty of WR names that are going to contribute to NFL rosters for a developmental backup QB.  That being said, we signed a few UDFA's at the position and I'm curious if Berrios and Smith can build on their limited time last year and have an impact in 2020.

Everyone keeps saying this. please tell me how another 4th round or 5th round WR isn’t the same as Doctson? Doctson is a former first round pick who put up 4th round pick numbers. Healthy and in a better system, he’s the same (if not better) than those 4th round guys. 

im glad we used the picks on other needs- like backup QB and potential safety to replace Maye. 

• Upvote 2
6 hours ago, NOSIDE said:

Everyone keeps saying this. please tell me how another 4th round or 5th round WR isn’t the same as Doctson? Doctson is a former first round pick who put up 4th round pick numbers. Healthy and in a better system, he’s the same (if not better) than those 4th round guys. 

im glad we used the picks on other needs- like backup QB and potential safety to replace Maye. 

Exactly, and in Washington expectations were super high, right now? Right here he'll be the 4th WR after Mims, Perriman, Crowder. 

4 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Another Deep WR class coming up . Just sign a cheap vet (DT) .. and draft one again next year . 

yep, that's what they'll do.

what i like most about douglas is his confidence and patience.  traded back to 59, didn't seem to worry about missing out on wrs.  took a db at 68, a pick being universally praised.  turned the 48 pick into mims, perine and morgan.  doesn't panic about not getting free agents, doesn't bid against himself.  only drafts athletes.  it's a pleasure so far and we've only seen one draft and FA period.

10 hours ago, NOSIDE said:

The more Doctsons you have on your roster, the more likely it is that one of them will actually step up and contribute to the team in 2020, and for a team with so many holes, wasting a draft pick on a player that hopefully won't play a down in 2020 seemed wasteful.  If they insisted on drafting a developmental QB, they could have waited until the 6th round and grabbed a higher ranking WR or ANY other position in the 4th.