JetBlue

No Excuses - Darnold needs to STEP IT UP!

Agree completely with the sentiment. No more excuses, and for the love of god can we please stop talking about his age as if he's a delicate flower? This will be his third year in the league. Anyone who says "he's only 23 years old" should be tarred and feathered.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Again excuses for what? Being the best player on the field since the day he became the starter? 

fwiw he was the 27th ranked QB (qualified) for QB rating in 2019 with an 84.3. Sandwiched right between Winston and Trubisky.

Sam Darnold has been OK. He's flashed moments of brilliance. He's also done a lot of dumb ish.

He needs to play better, simple as that.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, nico002 said:

That is worth zero. How many of the QBs that qualified for that list had the worst offensive line in NFL history? How many battled mono? Oh yea, none. Sam Darnold is the only reason the 2019 Jets didn't have the #1 pick in the draft. Like I said, if Darnold gets even average protection, we are winning the east. The OL needs to STEP UP. 

You forgot to say he was only 22 years old.

• Upvote 1

I also want to say that I think Darnold has the potential to be the best Jets QB ever. He's got all the tools and I hope he puts it all together. We just haven't seen it yet. Improved o-line should go a long way.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Why? You act as if 2 seasons in college and 2 seasons in the NFL for a 22 yr old makes you a seasoned vet. It doesn't. So it matters. Darnold is still very much a young QB who has a lot to learn. 

This idea that he should be a top 10 QB after this season because "NO EXCUSES" or he's a bust and the Jets need to move on is absolutely ludicrous. 

Show me where anyone said he's a bust and the jets need to move on?

This is his third season. He's now a veteran player. Stop treating him like a delicate flower. 

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

I'm not treating him like a 'delicate flower'. Do I need to repeat what I just wrote? All I'm saying is that he is a 22yr old QB going into his third season with 26 total NFL games under his belt. That's not exactly a 'veteran' player. When you say a player has 'no excuses' it suggests that if he doesn't drastically improve his game he should be outta here. Right? 

He needs to dramatically improve his game. Again, 27th ranked QB sandwiched between Winston and Tribusky. I'm not OK w/it and neither should any Jets fan.

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Name 27 other QBs you’d rather have, or that you think would have performerd better on the jets last year. Heck, name 15, jimmy g? Dak? Gtfo. I think you’re speaking about statistics which are ******* irrelevant.

Statistics do not tell the whole story but pretending they're irrelevant when you don't like them is silly. Darnold was out performed by almost every QB in the league last year when you look at QB rating which is a good measure of efficiency.

I like Darnold and think he can be our guy - but he hasn't been the man we need him to be yet. He's a veteran now. It's year 3. The o-line is beefed up. No more excuses.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Name 15 QBs you think would have performed better on the Jets last year.

1. Patrick Mahomes
  2. Drew Brees
  3. Lamar Jackson
  4. Russell Wilson
  5. Deshaun Watson
  6. Aaron Rodgers
  7. Matt Ryan
  8. Jimmy Garoppolo
  9. Matthew Stafford
  10. Dak Prescott
  11. Carson Wentz
  12. Tom Brady 
  13. Philip Rivers
  14. Kirk Cousins
  15. Jared Goff

2 minutes ago, peebag said:

I only see 3 on your list that would do better - Mahomes, Rodgers and Wilson.  L.Jackson and D.Watson would have been killed by running on almost every play and the rest would have been killed due to being sitting ducks.

So you view Darnold as a top 5 QB then?

3 minutes ago, nico002 said:

So you have Darnold as a top 10 QB. Got it.

I just want you to understand one thing, and one thing only. Somewhere out there on the internet there's a poster on a Bears message board who laughs at everyone who doesn't believe Mitch Trubisky is a top 10 QB. You would be correct if you thought he was delusional.

• Haha 4

Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company