No Excuses - Darnold needs to STEP IT UP!

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

fwiw he was the 27th ranked QB (qualified) for QB rating in 2019 with an 84.3. Sandwiched right between Winston and Trubisky.

Sam Darnold has been OK. He's flashed moments of brilliance. He's also done a lot of dumb ish.

He needs to play better, simple as that.

That is worth zero. How many of the QBs that qualified for that list had the worst offensive line in NFL history? How many battled mono? Oh yea, none. Sam Darnold is the only reason the 2019 Jets didn't have the #1 pick in the draft. Like I said, if Darnold gets even average protection, we are winning the east. The OL needs to STEP UP. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

GM - Check

Defensive Mind - Check

Offensive Mind - TBD

QB - TBD

It’s all on Gase and Darnold now. When I look at our roster, there aren’t many spots I dislike. I would like us to add an edge and a WR. However, this team goes as Darnold goes. 

Absolutely.  The QB is the most important.  However the previous 2 years we had nothing to help our young QB.  This year our oline is much improved so Sam will have time to work with so now it’s up to him

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, nico002 said:

That is worth zero. How many of the QBs that qualified for that list had the worst offensive line in NFL history? How many battled mono? Oh yea, none. Sam Darnold is the only reason the 2019 Jets didn't have the #1 pick in the draft. Like I said, if Darnold gets even average protection, we are winning the east. The OL needs to STEP UP. 

You forgot to say he was only 22 years old.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

fwiw he was the 27th ranked QB (qualified) for QB rating in 2019 with an 84.3. Sandwiched right between Winston and Trubisky.

Sam Darnold has been OK. He's flashed moments of brilliance. He's also done a lot of dumb ish.

He needs to play better, simple as that.

especially we can;t be out of playoff contention  by week 8 or 9... 

as we have the last 2 years by Sam stringing together BAD games.  

2018 Minny/Bears/Phins he was godawful.

2019 Pats/Jags/Phins he was godawful.

Gardner Napoleon Dyanamites Brother Minshew has flashed moments of brilliance too.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I agree, he should now be able to step it up.....like step up in the pocket and throw the ball since he won't be running for his life anymore.

Yup.  Somebody posted a bunch of videos of snaps where the defense was in top of him in like a second ?.  That’s why I give Douglas a lot of credit this offseason for how he handled the OL.  He improved it without spending a huge amount on 1 player 

Just now, Jets723 said:

Yup.  Somebody posted a bunch of videos of snaps where the defense was in top of him in like a second ?.  That’s why I give Douglas a lot of credit this offseason for how he handled the OL.  He improved it without spending a huge amount on 1 player 

At a minimum Douglas has swapped about 80% of the starters on the OLine.  It might turn out that he replaced all 5 of them by the time Week 1 gets here.  Amazing job in one offseason.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

At a minimum Douglas has swapped about 80% of the starters on the OLine.  It might turn out that he replaced all 5 of them by the time Week 1 gets here.  Amazing job in one offseason.

Absolutely.  I think for Sam that’s the biggest thing.  He has shown he can have great chemistry with guys who arent considered bigtime weapons.  But he needs time and protection and now he had it.  So yeah he needs to step up and I think he will!!

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Lol If you can't see that Perriman runs a better route tree, does a better job on 50-50 balls, better after contact, then no point in debating it. 

There is no debate

Perriman has been an all time bust who had a handful of productive games

I'd love to believe this is what he is but there has to be a reason its never been that way prior to those last 5 games.  I'm optimistic as anyone but lets see 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PCP63 said:

Can't blame last year's poor decision-making on the OL. When Darnold did have a clean pocket, he still made terrible decisions. He still has a lot to prove. Especially in today's NFL, where QBs come in and shine immediately.

I remember those exact two times last year when he had a clean pocket!!  And one was right after the mono.  the other?  well...no one's perfect!!  LOL

2 hours ago, PCP63 said:

Can't blame last year's poor decision-making on the OL. When Darnold did have a clean pocket, he still made terrible decisions. He still has a lot to prove. Especially in today's NFL, where QBs come in and shine immediately.

All you said is true. Just keep in mind that when Darnold had time, he was still worried about his blind side and a pressure that wasn't there because he did NOT trust the line. Either would I.  Therefore, Darnold rushed the throw on many occasions when he did not have to. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, DonCorleone said:

ust keep in mind that when Darnold had time, he was still worried about his blind side and a pressure that wasn't there because he did NOT trust the line. Either would I.  Therefore, Darnold rushed the throw on many occasions when he did not have to. 

there's a word for that...     maybe thats why JD had to talk wif his mommy and daddy

• WTF? 1

Rome wasn't built in a day, but I think JD has improved the team enough (on paper) on offense, to help Sam take the leap to the next level.  He should have a better running game, he should have more time to throw,and he should have a deeper compliment of WR to target.

But as a wise man once said, "that's why you play the games."

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

You forgot to say he was only 22 years old.

No joke....When I read your initial post with the "fwiw" beginning my initial thought was it is worth absolutely nothing to Nico and he came in right on cue. My gawd it had me rolling.

With a hopefully (chemistry plays a big role) improved offensive line, the run game should be able to help Darnold out a little more.  If runs on 1st down can get them to 2nd and 6 or 2nd and 5 this should allow the Jets to keep teams guessing as they will not be forced into passing on 2nd down.  If the runs can even get to 2nd and short, this will give Darnold the opportunity to take shots deeper down the field.  With speed at every level, he should be able to find the defense spread out with holes all over the field.

Not sure Darnold has to make drastic improvements to his game but if he continues to play like he did the 2nd half of the season and continues to improve, he'll be fine.  The game tends to slow down for these QBs in the 2nd year and it seems like it may have down the stretch of last season.  He does need to make quicker reads, get the ball out sooner and continue to clean up his mistakes.  The hope is that we can see him in a full year where he is healthy.  One thing to remember about Darnold is that he has had a lot of small injuries throughout his career.  He has missed time due to foot/ankle problems and mono, but also had knee problems, a lost toenail, a bruised rib and thumb surgery in two years.  He also sat out a year in high school due to a foot injury.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Agree completely with the sentiment. No more excuses, and for the love of god can we please stop talking about his age as if he's a delicate flower? This will be his third year in the league. Anyone who says "he's only 23 years old" should be tarred and feathered.

Why? You act as if 2 seasons in college and 2 seasons in the NFL for a 22 yr old makes you a seasoned vet. It doesn't. So it matters. Darnold is still very much a young QB who has a lot to learn. 

This idea that he should be a top 10 QB after this season because "NO EXCUSES" or he's a bust and the Jets need to move on is absolutely ludicrous. 

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Why? You act as if 2 seasons in college and 2 seasons in the NFL for a 22 yr old makes you a seasoned vet. It doesn't. So it matters. Darnold is still very much a young QB who has a lot to learn. 

This idea that he should be a top 10 QB after this season because "NO EXCUSES" or he's a bust and the Jets need to move on is absolutely ludicrous. 

Show me where anyone said he's a bust and the jets need to move on?

This is his third season. He's now a veteran player. Stop treating him like a delicate flower. 

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

There is no debate

Perriman has been an all time bust who had a handful of productive games

I'd love to believe this is what he is but there has to be a reason its never been that way prior to those last 5 games.  I'm optimistic as anyone but lets see 

Some times a player just needs an opportunity or in Perriman’s case, another opportunity.

Last year, Perriman had a higher average yards of separation (2.6) than Robby (2.2). Robby is a starting WR, but he also benefited from playing with low end starters (aside from Crowder). The talent level between those two is close. Personally, I’m expecting Perriman to be our first 1,000 yard WR in some time. Not because he’s better than Robby (they’re about the same talent wise) but because I’m expecting Darnold to take a step forward. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Some times a player just needs an opportunity or in Perriman’s case, another opportunity.

Last year, Perriman had a higher average yards of separation (2.6) than Robby (2.2). Robby is a starting WR, but he also benefited from playing with low end starters (aside from Crowder). The talent level between those two is close. Personality, I’m expecting Perriman to be our first 1,000 yard WR in some time. Not because he’s better than Robby (they’re about the same talent wise) but because I’m expecting Darnold to take a step forward. 

And I'm not arguing agains that.  I said to now hes been an all time bust.  I said, "I'd love to believe this, the last 5 games are what he is but there has to be a reason its never been that way prior to those last 5 games.  I'm optimistic as anyone but lets see"

And was in reponse to being told "Lol If you can't see that Perriman runs a better route tree, does a better job on 50-50 balls, better after contact, then no point in debating it."  

I'm not ragging on him.   I just need more than a handful of games to make statements like that.  This all

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Show me where anyone said he's a bust and the jets need to move on?

This is his third season. He's now a veteran player. Stop treating him like a delicate flower. 

I'm not treating him like a 'delicate flower'. Do I need to repeat what I just wrote? All I'm saying is that he is a 22yr old QB going into his third season with 26 total NFL games under his belt. That's not exactly a 'veteran' player. When you say a player has 'no excuses' it suggests that if he doesn't drastically improve his game he should be outta here. Right? 

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

I'm not treating him like a 'delicate flower'. Do I need to repeat what I just wrote? All I'm saying is that he is a 22yr old QB going into his third season with 26 total NFL games under his belt. That's not exactly a 'veteran' player. When you say a player has 'no excuses' it suggests that if he doesn't drastically improve his game he should be outta here. Right? 

He needs to dramatically improve his game. Again, 27th ranked QB sandwiched between Winston and Tribusky. I'm not OK w/it and neither should any Jets fan.

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

He needs to dramatically improve his game. Again, 27th ranked QB sandwiched between Winston and Tribusky. I'm not OK w/it and neither should any Jets fan.

Name 27 other QBs you’d rather have, or that you think would have performerd better on the jets last year. Heck, name 15, jimmy g? Dak? Gtfo. I think you’re speaking about statistics which are ******* irrelevant.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Name 27 other QBs you’d rather have, or that you think would have performerd better on the jets last year. Heck, name 15, jimmy g? Dak? Gtfo. I think you’re speaking about statistics which are ******* irrelevant.

Statistics do not tell the whole story but pretending they're irrelevant when you don't like them is silly. Darnold was out performed by almost every QB in the league last year when you look at QB rating which is a good measure of efficiency.

I like Darnold and think he can be our guy - but he hasn't been the man we need him to be yet. He's a veteran now. It's year 3. The o-line is beefed up. No more excuses.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Statistics do not tell the whole story but pretending they're irrelevant when you don't like them is silly. Darnold was out performed by almost every QB in the league last year when you look at QB rating which is a good measure of efficiency.

I like Darnold and think he can be our guy - but he hasn't been the man we need him to be yet. He's a veteran now. It's year 3. The o-line is beefed up. No more excuses.

Name 15 QBs you think would have performed better on the Jets last year.

3 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

Why do I end up quoting you all the time? It’s getting creepy so I apologize. A lot of the bad decision making was Sam being frustrated with losing and trying to force things. He can’t do that this year and will not have any excuses once the OL builds chemistry. The the 2nd half of the year or last 12 games will be crunch time for him. Of course this all depends on if the season is starting on time etc. 

ok, who do you recommend fill that slot?