6 WRs on Jets 2020 Opening Day Roster?

6 WRs?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Assuming the Jets keep 6 WRs and that Crowder, Perriman, and Mims are locks, please select 3 other WRs to be on the Jets opening day roster........

• Josh Doctson 6'2" 205 TCU
    • Braxton Berrios 5'9" 190 Miami (FL)
    • Vyncint Smith 6'3" 202 Limestone
    • Josh Malone 6'3" 208 Tennessee
    • Josh Bellamy 6'0" 208 Louisville
    • Keon Hatcher 6'1" 215 Arkansas
    • Jehu Chesson 6'2" 204 Michigan
    • Quincy Enunwa 6'2" 225 Nebraska
    • Jeff Smith 6'0" 195 Boston College
    • Lawrence Cager 6'5" 220 UGA (UDFA)
    • George Campbell 6'4" 185 UGA (UDFA)
    • Some Other Player Not Currently on Roster #1
    • Some Other Player Not Currently on Roster #2
    • Some Other Player Not Currently on Roster #3

I like Berrios and Smith to make the roster. Smith fits the exact mold they’ve been looking for at outside receiver (big, fast), stuck all year, reportedly works hard, and produced some when he got the opportunity. Berrios has return value and provides nice slot depth.

Think the other one is a complete wild card. Could be one of a variety of options but I think off roster is most likely. It’d be nice if Doctson sticks here but I wouldn’t bet on him breaking out. We don’t think about things this way but if the WR group is the three locks listed above, Doctson, Berrios, and Smith - Doctson is the oldest WR on the roster. He’s older than both Perriman and Crowder.

• Upvote 2

I think Berrios is a goner.  He's not going to beat Crowder for the slot, and we don't need him on STs with Ashtyn Davis just drafted. 

I can see keeping Vyncint as the developmental holdover; Doctson is 50/50 to get his sh*t together, but if he doesn't--Jeff Smith for surezies... and I think we go out and sign some speed like Paul Richardson.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

I think Berrios is a goner.  He's not going to beat Crowder for the slot, and we don't need him on STs with Ashtyn Davis just drafted. 

I can see keeping Vyncint as the developmental holdover; Doctson is 50/50 to get his sh*t together, but if he doesn't--Jeff Smith for surezies... and I think we go out and sign some speed like Paul Richardson.

I agree.  If Davis is going to be our returner, Berrios doesn't really have a place.  I'd assume Cager can hit the PS and so could one or two more of these guys.  A lot also depends on if Quincy is healthy enough to even try playing.  If he is, on his guaranteed contract, I think he'll take a spot.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I agree.  If Davis is going to be our returner, Berrios doesn't really have a place.  I'd assume Cager can hit the PS and so could one or two more of these guys.  A lot also depends on if Quincy is healthy enough to even try playing.  If he is, on his guaranteed contract, I think he'll take a spot.

I think if Enunwa is healthy enough to pass a physical, the Jets will just cut him. His contract is guaranteed for injury only. I expect an injury settlement. 

• Upvote 3

Berrios led the NFL in punt-return average, and is the backup slot behind Crowder. Can't see him being cut. Davis returns kicks, but don't think he returns punts.

Smith and Doctson currently the other two frontrunners, with Cager an outside contender.

• Upvote 3

Berrios has to get a spot because of PR.

Smith and Doctson are the best of the rest.

Douglas suggested they were open to getting a second WR in the draft. The players they liked didn’t line up. He also said he likes our current guys. Personally, I don’t think we are not done.

Mims has a ton of upside, but it’s unrealistic to expect him to be a big time contributor this year. I think we are going to trade/sign someone and have Mims be our 4th guy. 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Berrios has to get a spot because of PR.

Smith and Doctson are the best of the rest.

Douglas suggested they were open to getting a second WR in the draft. They players they liked didn’t line up. He also said he likes our current guys. Personally, I don’t think we are done.

Mims has a ton of upside, but it’s unrealistic to expect him to be a big time contributor this year. I think we are going to trade/sign someone and have Mims be our 4th guy. 

I'd like the Jets to bring in Rashard Higgins, who is still a FA, to compete for the last spot.

Young veteran, still just 25, with some decent NFL experience.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Berrios led the NFL in punt-return average, and is the backup slot behind Crowder. Can't see him being cut. Davis returns kicks, but don't think he returns punts.

Smith and Doctson currently the other two frontrunners, with Cager an outside contender.

I think you are correct.  Good catch.  

I like Cagers' chances as he fills a definite role of big physical possession receiver and red zone threat.  Campbell could be a candidate for the PS.  6'4 and runs a sub 4.3 and out of 19 catches he recorded 7 touchdowns.  Seems like there is something to work with there.   Also like Jeff Smith the converted quarterback.  If he is healthy I think he could surprise; another guy with sub 4.3 speed. 

I siad Berrios, Smith and player not yet on roster.  Berrios likely makes it as punt returner -- think that mkaes his spot a bit more secure,  I do think Douglas will add one more expetienced WR to the mix between now and start of season.  That leaves SMith and Cager in battle for the last two spots. 

Every year it seems there is a UDFA  or street FA WR we all fall in love with who does not make the team.  Guessing that will be Cager; maybe he sticks on the practice squad.

• Upvote 1

I think Cager has a good chance to make the roster. He gives the Jets size and a great Red Zone target- something they lack. The other two are probably Berrios and Smith but Doctson could take that spot away from Cager b/c he is PS eligible. 

I'm gonna go with Cager, Berrios, Smith. Doctson is odd man out. I think Bellamy gets cut as well .J.Smith goes to PS again.  

• Upvote 2

Berrios, Smith, and Cager with DT coming in after a game or 2. 

Berrios is the only other slot guy on the roster and he’s the best punt returner in the league. Boyer plus positional specialty keeps him on. I really like Berrios

Vyncint Smith will compete with Perriman for snaps. Both are freaks and Smith saw an increase in play time as the season went on. Plus he returns kicks well in a time when no one returns kicks well.

I was torn between Doctson and Cager and ultimately chose Cager. Special teams will be the decider here and Cager just seems more blue collar. Plus Doctson hasn’t put it together yet so he gets no benefit.

• Upvote 1

Here’s a wild thought. What would it take in a trade with the bears to get Allen Robinson. He’s on the last year of his contract and we should of signed him when the jags let him go a couple of years ago. Still young and is a beast. I’d happily give up a 2nd and a player 

• Upvote 1

Doctson, Smith and George Campbell!  He's wicked fast and ST demon.  Gotta chance...
This is how I see it too... Campbell or Berrios for that last spot. I think Smith is gonna stick due to specials and he flashed as a WR. Doctson, if he stays healthy, will breakout under Sam.

We will need fast gunners for this new punter. He routinely out punted the coverage in the highlights I saw.
  • Upvote 1

https://www.thehuddlereport.com/blog/?p=1046

I had never heard anything about this guy before reading this article, but if what he says comes true, Douglas has hit the ball out of the park! I originally voted Berrios, Smith and Doctson but changed my mind, switching Cager for Doctson (assuming that Cager is healthy).. 

Lawrence Cager WR Georgia

by Drew Boylhart • April 6, 2020

STRENGTHS
Lawrence is a tall, strong, fluid athlete. He has those long strides that make it very difficult for defensive backs to keep up with him despite the fact they may be faster. He has the athletic talent to adjust to the ball in the air and the excellent hands to catch those acrobatic, contested and difficult passes. Lawrence does a good job blocking for his teammates. He is a pass-catching machine in the red zone and will move the chains on third downs but what he brings with him is the ability to catch the deep ball in the air, above his defender when everyone in the stadium knows that the play is going to him. Lawrence is a clever and cagy route runner, using his size when he needs to but mostly, using his long legs and long strides to his advantage also. If a team is looking for a receiver to build your offensive passing game around than Lawrence should be on that team’s raider for sure. He as talent, that reminds me of Buccaneers Mike Evens.

CONCERNS
Lawrence has been hurt a lot, and although he has played with some injuries his medicals will be the one issue that will hold teams back from selecting him as high as I have him rated. He only played a few games this year for Georgia after transferring from Miami. That being said, he is the type of player that made the hair on the back of my head stand up the first time I saw him catch the ball.

BOTTOM LINE 2.64
The team that selects Lawrence might have to Red Shirt him for a year and get this kid healthy. Then after that happens he will, of course, go through a learning phase and a competition level phase, and that could set him back a bit too. Of course, during all of that time, you have to hope he doesn’t get another injury that slows his future progress. Of course, if he does get injured at the next level you might not see this kid hit the field in his first contract years. Lawrence has talent like the Buccaneers WR Mike Evans. Mike was selected in the first round but he wasn’t injured and we had a normal Draft process that year so the medicals on Mike were completed. Add to that, the talent at the receiver position in this draft and you can see what Lawrence is up against. As far as I’m concerned if, his ankle injury that kept him off the field for most of the 2019 year for Georgia, is not a chronic issue than selecting him as early as the first round would be a given. But this year everything is in flux so let’s take a hard look at what most teams are looking at if they want to select Lawrence. First of all, there is a lack of production and more than one injury that cannot be confirmed how they will affect his play in the future. That being said, Lawrence does have the size, strength, hands, and overall athletic talent to move the chains, catch the deep ball, and be a weapon in the red zone. You do the math and come up with a round you would select Lawrence in. Remember, if he is healthy, he has the potential to be the Offensive Rookie of the year. I’m on record here and I say second round.