Mims Vs. Metcalf

KRL

Great article.

To me, it's almost as disturbing as it is impressive that Joe D. traded down to #59.   I mean, it was a calculated risk.  I thought for sure someone was going to leap in front of the Jets and take Mims.  If Mims is such a great prospect why did Joe D take that chance?  Either A.) He really, really knew the board well and the needs of the teams behind him or B.) There is some kind of flag/flaw about Mims that GMs and scouts know more than we do and truly went in the right spot at the end of Round 2 rather than in the 30's.

In any case, thrilled we got him.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Great article.

To me, it's almost as disturbing as it is impressive that Joe D. traded down to #59.   I mean, it was a calculated risk.  I thought for sure someone was going to leap in front of the Jets and take Mims.  If Mims is such a great prospect why did Joe D take that chance?  Either A.) He really, really knew the board well and the needs of the teams behind him or B.) There is some kind of flag/flaw about Mims that GMs and scouts know more than we do and truly went in the right spot at the end of Round 2 rather than in the 30's.

In any case, thrilled we got him.

It was a risk but there is always a risk when trading down.  Douglas must have seen the teams after us and calculated that there was a good chance he was Available at 59.  Honesty I thought the Ravens were gonna grab him because they always seem to get fortunate with guys who slide.  Moms seems pissed he dropped so far so know he had even more motivation 

1 hour ago, win4ever said:

That's 13lbs off, not that big of a difference. .

I'm not saying he's Julio, because Julio was more polished, but their athletic profile is very similar.

https://assets-global.website-files.com/5988f684fda8db00017f4dee/5e63a8e4bdffbd5d60ad23ce_CFM20_WR-b_Mims_Denzel_PDF.pdf

13 pounds at the same height is a big difference for speed and agility numbers

17 hours ago, cant wait said:

Mims reminds me a lot more of DeVante Parker than Metcalf. Hopefully he doesn’t need 5 years to break out like Parker though 

Mims reminds me of Demaryius Thomas.  Limited routes, great hands, runs away from defenders after the catch, can go up and get it if they need to.

21 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Mims seems to be a guy who fell because the experts over analyzed and picked on the fact that he didn't run a full route tree, plus it was a deep wr draft of course. Presumably, he didn't run a full route tree in college because he wasn't asked to because he was dominate otherwise. Just throw him the damn ball and he goes and gets it. He's going to get plenty of chances to prove himself early.

He impressed at the Senior Bowl and showed his potential to be capable of expanding his tree at the NFL level.

A far as draft prospects go.  Almost all need to polish and refine their route running...if not named Jerry Jeudi.

Here's a good breakdown on Mims...

Download video

• Upvote 1

From a measurables  comparison they have a lot of similarities.   
From a football performer point of view...he's going to be...Mims!   Mims is going to be somebody in this league you're going to compare upcoming draft prospects too.
 2043523546_DenzelMims_TheBestAthleteinthe2020NFLDraft(ScoutingReport).mp4_000425_719.thumb.jpg.d062a1befb06972c11570dd3a4c0f751.jpg

Yeah, he's not Julio on the field. Julio was much better with his route set up, which is something Mims can stand to improve on.

He wasn't my favorite WR in this draft either, that would have been Juedy. However, the upside is certainly high, and higher than anyone I can remember for the Jets. By the time Braylon/Marshall came by, they weren't at their peak.

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Serious question.  Do any receivers not kill in those drills?  One on one with an entire field to use, who can't get open?  I get that he was exceptional, but the O is at a huge advantage there.

Actually no. PFF grades them extensively on the drill and many receivers dont do great and Mims was like all time great in the drill. People will say that "it's only a drill" but it has historically had a very strong correlation to success in the NFL

image.thumb.png.ec0e8d94c67e74fccaaa5f4c0256556a.pngimage.thumb.png.ec0e8d94c67e74fccaaa5f4c0256556a.png

image.png

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, nyjbuddy said:

Mims reminds me of Demaryius Thomas.  Limited routes, great hands, runs away from defenders after the catch, can go up and get it if they need to.

Yeah that’s a good one. The way he uses his long arms to keep defenders away is very reminiscent of DT

On 4/27/2020 at 7:57 PM, johnnysd said:

I don't love PFF for everything but they did a prescient article where they expected Mims to drop because of being from Baylor and his limited route tree. That turned out to be true. But the reality is that it does not seem Mims is not skilled at running other routes just was never asked to.What the article also said is that one on one success in individual drills at the Senior Bowl has a high correlation to success in the NFL. Mims was maybe the most dominant EVER at those 1 on 1s at the Senior Bow. There is a video floating around of them, but it is not only amazing how well he gets separation at the LOS but how diverse the routes he ran were and they were very very crisp. But as to all things there is a flip side. He also had some of the lowest separation in the entire draft class on his routes in college. He also caught a lot if not the most contested catches because of that. So which guy is he? The dominant guy at the Senior bowl, or the guy who didn't consistently separate at FBS level? Time will tell. If he can consistently do what he did at the Senior Bowl he could easily be a Top 5 receiver in the NFL. 

Here is the video. It is amaze-balls. Seriously

I've noticed in several videos that he uses his hands to the push the DB off almost every play.  I just wonder how much of an concern/issue this will be on the next level.  (penalty wise) 

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2020 at 9:25 PM, ljr said:

he was abusing those cb's in that video ... poor # 7 probably took his little self home and cried!  ... is Mims that learge or were all those corners just extra small?

These guys are the best seniors in the country.  Some of them are in the NFL now.  One thing he's going to have to watch.  He's always got his hands on the DB.  I like it, but some of them are going to get a flag.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, flgreen said:

These guys are the best seniors in the country.  Some of them are in the NFL now.  One thing he's going to have to watch.  He's always got his hands on the DB.  I like it, but some of them are going to get a flag.

He's going to have to get more "subtle" in getting rid of CB's.  That's on the coaches and where

Shawn Jefferson and Hines Ward have to earn their $$$

• Upvote 1