Jump to content

Ashtyn Davis and Bryce Hall among Top Draft Steals


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

I’d like to review some old draft steal articles from 5 years ago. I wonder if any analysts get them right. 

Whatever you think of Francesa, on Sunday he said you can't grade a draft until 3 years later, I agree with him. As far as Davis and Hall the reason they are considered "steals" is mainly due to injuries holding them back in their last year of college football. When healthy their body of work is equivalent to a much higher selection. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Ashtyn is definitely here to replace Maye and let Adams roam free closer to the LOS.

But, while we still have Maybe I’m actually excited about the prospect of Ashtyn playing center field true free safety and Maye playing closer to the LOS along with Adams in 3 safety dime looks.

Maye has been fine as a feee safety, but I think he’s better suited as a ss.

We need a fast and athletic free safety who can get ints and turn up the field fast. Let Adams be our “edge” rusher.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Interesting that Mims didn't make the list. Its clear personnel people just aren't as high on him as many pundits/fans are.

I think the fact he plays offense makes Jet fans excited. Everyone else probably expects teams to pick offense in the first two rounds once in awhile. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Interesting that Mims didn't make the list. Its clear personnel people just aren't as high on him as many pundits/fans are.

It's harder for Mims to make this list because he was chosen earlier than these two and there were a ton receivers in the draft.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I think the fact he plays offense makes Jet fans excited. Everyone else probably expects teams to pick offense in the first two rounds once in awhile. 

Last time we drafted all offense was 2009 of course we only had 3 picks..B)

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Adoni Beast said:

 Ashtyn is definitely here to replace Maye and let Adams roam free closer to the LOS.

But, while we still have Maybe I’m actually excited about the prospect of Ashtyn playing center field true free safety and Maye playing closer to the LOS along with Adams in 3 safety dime looks.

Maye has been fine as a feee safety, but I think he’s better suited as a ss.

We need a fast and athletic free safety who can get ints and turn up the field fast. Let Adams be our “edge” rusher.

Maye > Davis

You're welcome.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ashtyn Davis has a good interview on the Move the Sticks podcast.  It was around the time of the Senior Bowl and he talks about his work ethic.  I am so happy the Jets landed this guy as I didn't think they would draft a safety this early with Adams and Maye in the mix.   When I first heard this interview back in January, I just remember thinking this guy is smart, athletic, has a great work ethic and pays attention to the details.

The video for the interview just came out on nfl.com:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/move-the-sticks/0ap3000001108521/Move-the-Sticks-Ashtyn-Davis-talks-about-his-journey

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bryce Hall is a more risky pick than Bless Austin because of the severity of the injury apparently.

However, he also has the higher upside IMO.  Hall, if healthy, could be a CB1 within 2 years.

I just don't know enough about that ankle injury, how it will affect his mobility, change of direction, cutting, explosion, etc.

This was a risk/reward type pick....but in Round 5 I think it was a calculated risk worth taking.  The combination of upside, position of need, and where we got him makes this a pitch worth swinging at.  It could either be a home run or a whiff.  But again, in a Draft where the Jets traded down to get more picks Hall was almost a freebie here.  The signing of Desir, trading for Quincy Wilson, snagging Lamar Jackson and Javelin Guidry as UDFAs.... all make the Hall pick look worth it!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, slats said:

It's fun seeing the most hated pick getting praise. 

I thought Morgan was the most hated pick by most. I don't know enough about him to argue the point, although I see the need. 

So everyone is hating the Ashton Davis pick? I thought all the Adams/Maye haters would love the pick.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Bryce Hall is a more risky pick than Bless Austin because of the severity of the injury apparently.

However, he also has the higher upside IMO.  Hall, if healthy, could be a CB1 within 2 years.

I just don't know enough about that ankle injury, how it will affect his mobility, change of direction, cutting, explosion, etc.

This was a risk/reward type pick....but in Round 5 I think it was a calculated risk worth taking.  The combination of upside, position of need, and where we got him makes this a pitch worth swinging at.  It could either be a home run or a whiff.  But again, in a Draft where the Jets traded down to get more picks Hall was almost a freebie here.  The signing of Desir, trading for Quincy Wilson, snagging Lamar Jackson and Javelin Guidry as UDFAs.... all make the Hall pick look worth it!

Here is some more info on Hall’s injury.  https://www.cover1.net/2020-nfl-draft-inside-virginia-cb-bryce-halls-ankle-injury/

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

This is going to sounds nuts but after getting over the initial shock of drafting a safety and then learning about the guy - my immediate thought was:  Ashtyn Davis is here to neutralize Lamar Jackson.  

Will we be playing the Ravens this year? I don't think so.

He will be a good "spy" on Josh Allen 2x/yr.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Will we be playing the Ravens this year? I don't think so.

He will be a good "spy" on Josh Allen 2x/yr.

I didn't mean this year - but eventually - in the playoffs.

I'm trying to be optimistic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

IMO the important quote from a good, but lenghtly article.

Epidemiologic studies of distal fibula fractures in the NFL indicate that 90% of players that suffered a distal fibula fracture returned to play. Furthermore, 95% that had a combined fracture involving more than just the distal fibula which included ankle dislocations were able to return to play. The average return to play with surgery was 145 days with surgery which is just under five months recovery. Considering how long the season is, most often, these are season-ending injuries, but not career-ending.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, flgreen said:

IMO the important quote from a good, but lenghtly article.

Epidemiologic studies of distal fibula fractures in the NFL indicate that 90% of players that suffered a distal fibula fracture returned to play. Furthermore, 95% that had a combined fracture involving more than just the distal fibula which included ankle dislocations were able to return to play. The average return to play with surgery was 145 days with surgery which is just under five months recovery. Considering how long the season is, most often, these are season-ending injuries, but not career-ending.

Return to play is one thing.  I have almost no doubt Bryce Hall will see the field again, but will he be 98% of the player he was, 80%, etc?

Only time will tell.  I think taking him in Round 5 was a good risk/reward calculation.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...