The Athletic Big Board team draft rankings

45 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

I would guess that teams that have greater positional needs overall would have a higher chance grading out higher?

Yeah probably. For what it's worth Of the 10 teams  that picked before us only 3 were rated better then the Jets on this chart. Arizona, Cleveland, and Cincinnati.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Irish Jet said:

"After one of the worst picks in the first round I can ever remember, the Seattle Seahawks didn't draft any positions of need or draft for the future. 

Pete Carroll is proving why he didn’t make it in the NFL the first time. Not only was Bruce Irvin a reach at No. 15, the Seahawks proved they were oblivious to their madness by celebrating their selection.

As if the day wasn’t bad enough, Seattle selecting Russell Wilson, a QB that doesn’t fit their offense at all, was by far the worst move of the draft. With the two worst moves of the draft, Seattle is the only team that received an F on draft day."

- Bleacher Report on the 2012 draft

Gotta be Matt Miller

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

These things are always framed as “wow, these teams got some steals based on our rankings” when it’s really just “wow, our rankings sucked and we know very little.”

Normally I agree, but these are aggregate rankings of 60 individual sources, most not affiliated with the site that wrote this article.

It's not perfect(obviously) but of all of these million grading articles, it's probably one of the least biased.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IMO, the problem is that all of these rankings end up being aggregators anyway. They all putz around for nine months of the year and wait for Kiper/McShay/Jeremiah-types, who actually have sourcing, to put out their top-100 or whatever, then they just crib that info, make some minor changes to wording, then present it as though they were out beating the bushes scouting any of these guys. Of those 60 sources, maybe two of them could watch a college football game featuring non-FBS ranked teams and tell you which of those players, if any, are NFL caliber without having prior knowledge of those players. It’s a racket. So, the rankings they produce emanate from the same two or three guys every year.

That's a very good point.  I made a rather tongue in cheek comment in a thread about Michael Pittman about how it's just so coincidental that everyone from the McShay/Kiper/Jeremiahs of the world to the amateur draft "tape watchers" all have the exact same people rising and same people falling at the same time pre draft.  Their film reviews must be done in unison.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

These things are always framed as “wow, these teams got some steals based on our rankings” when it’s really just “wow, our rankings sucked and we know very little.”

Yep. I mean, it's one thing to say a guy drafted a round or so below your projections in the early parts of the draft was a value, since teams weight positional need heavier at the top and other teams are only passing on him once. 

It's another thing to have a guy you ranked as a borderline 2d round pick (Tega Wanogho, 73) get drafted at 210 and insist that's huge value because the entire NFL disagreed with how you ranked him. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Normally I agree, but these are aggregate rankings of 60 individual sources, most not affiliated with the site that wrote this article.

It's not perfect(obviously) but of all of these million grading articles, it's probably one of the least biased.

Aside from Tom's point, the draft itself is a true aggregate ranking. 32 NFL GMs passed on Prince in the fourth round, the fifth round, and sixth round, some multiple multiple times. At that point in the draft, nobody who has him ranked as a late second early third round pick is passing on him. So the NFL did not value that player as a second or third-round pick. And it's not like he dropped because of injury, so it's not a "could be a great value pick if he comes back healthy" argument. 

Bottom line, the thing with analyses like this is that at a certain point, the more excess value the player has based on how far below where you ranked him he was drafted, the less likely it is is that your ranking was correct and therefore the less likely it is that he was a particular value at all.

The funny thing is, that issue only works in one direction. Was Damon Arnette a reach? The draft won't tell us. We know that he was taken ahead of where he was projected to go by various rankings in websites, but the fact that the Raiders took him at 19 doesn't tell us anything about where the NFL as a whole had him ranked. It's entirely possible that 31 other GM's viewed him as a late 2nd rounder. It's also possible that multiple other teams had him as the third cornerback on their board and a first-round pick. There's no way to know

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Doesn’t make their board’s ranking of the Cheats’ new PK any less hilarious. 

• Haha 2

1222791944_ScreenShot2020-04-28at9_33_53AM.png.854d5702f80fcdfed3fdd663cae2ebbc.png

Crazy!  The Top 7 "Steals" were ALL guys that we've been talking about extensively.  I'll go to the grave pounding the table that Zack Baun should have been the pick at #68, and seeing both OT Jones and Wanogho last so long does raise a very fair question about whether an approach of WR first then double-dipping at OT would have been better.

Jeudy, Ruggs or Lamb at #11 would have let the Jets take BOTH of those OTs later.  BUT, it was a risk, right?  First, we don't know if either is starting caliber....at least in Year 1.  Becton is closer to being on the field than either of those guys by a decent margin.

It's nuts that Joe D pulled off what he did in terms of value at positions of need.  He played the board almost perfectly.  Players he wanted + at positions of need + getting them later than expected = Masterclass drafting.  But man.... Baun at #68 and the Jets are sitting on 3 legit steals in this table!

• Upvote 2

We got 2 of the top 5 steals according to these (flawed) rankings!  

Who were the biggest steals of the draft?

PLAYER

SCHOOL

POSITION

TEAM

PICK

BOARD RANK

Josh Jones
Houston
OT
Prince Tega Wanogho
Auburn
OT
Curtis Weaver
Boise State
EDGE
Bryce Hall
Virginia
CB
Denzel Mims
Baylor
WR

Question - What does the positions RBC mean?  Is that a RB by Committee type guy?  I notice The Athletic seems to use more specific position designations here.

Statement - How cool is it that "reaches" by NE for a kicker and Buffalo for a kicker were listed..... but Jets Punter Braden Mann was NOT a reach?!?!?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

1222791944_ScreenShot2020-04-28at9_33_53AM.png.854d5702f80fcdfed3fdd663cae2ebbc.png

Crazy!  The Top 7 "Steals" were ALL guys that we've been talking about extensively.  I'll go to the grave pounding the table that Zack Baun should have been the pick at #68, and seeing both OT Jones and Wanogho last so long does raise a very fair question about whether an approach of WR first then double-dipping at OT would have been better.

Jeudy, Ruggs or Lamb at #11 would have let the Jets take BOTH of those OTs later.  BUT, it was a risk, right?  First, we don't know if either is starting caliber....at least in Year 1.  Becton is closer to being on the field than either of those guys by a decent margin.

It's nuts that Joe D pulled off what he did in terms of value at positions of need.  He played the board almost perfectly.  Players he wanted + at positions of need + getting them later than expected = Masterclass drafting.  But man.... Baun at #68 and the Jets are sitting on 3 legit steals in this table!

I will reiterate my stance here. The drop off from Becton to Jones was much more significant than Jeudy to Mims. I imagine @RobR and @Paradis likely have thoughts on this, but it was my general feeling from watching/reading about all these prospects. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

30 minutes ago, TheMo said:

I will reiterate my stance here. The drop off from Becton to Jones was much more significant than Jeudy to Mims. I imagine @RobR and @Paradis likely have thoughts on this, but it was my general feeling from watching/reading about all these prospects. 

It's the biggest reason why we needed to go OT in the first round because you could get great WR's later on and I did see a huge drop-off with the tackle position even though it was a strong overall class. I'm a bit pissed that the Giants got Peart but after we selected the best OT in the class I'd have to think he was off of our board.

And Mims will be better than Jeudy......I was never a big fan of Jeudy. After this draft I feel like I'm living in this world:

285?cb=20151203235242

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TheMo said:

51 minutes ago, RobR said:

It's the biggest reason why we needed to go OT in the first round because you could get great WR's later on and I did see a huge drop-off with the tackle position even though it was a strong overall class. I'm a bit pissed that the Giants got Peart but after we selected the best OT in the class I'd have to think he was off of our board.

And Mims will be better than Jeudy......I was never a big fan of Jeudy. After this draft I feel like I'm living in this world:

285?cb=20151203235242

Ha!  Good stuff.

I honestly wouldn't have changed at thing in the first two rounds of the Jets Draft.  It was a win-win and asking for anything more would be greedy.  I had no scenario, mock draft or otherwise, except for a crazy expensive trade up in Round 2 that got us BOTH a Top 4 OT and a WR like Mims.

Becton - Mims is better than Jeudy - Jones, Lamb - Jones (oh, the irony!), or Ruggs - Jones.  But the double dip of something like Josh Jones and Wanogho, or Jones and Matt Peart is an interesting thing to consider.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

"After one of the worst picks in the first round I can ever remember, the Seattle Seahawks didn't draft any positions of need or draft for the future. 

Pete Carroll is proving why he didn’t make it in the NFL the first time. Not only was Bruce Irvin a reach at No. 15, the Seahawks proved they were oblivious to their madness by celebrating their selection.

As if the day wasn’t bad enough, Seattle selecting Russell Wilson, a QB that doesn’t fit their offense at all, was by far the worst move of the draft. With the two worst moves of the draft, Seattle is the only team that received an F on draft day."

- Bleacher Report on the 2012 draft

Cray cray. Cray cray cray cray. Cray!

• Post of the Week 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/28/2020 at 12:42 PM, jetstream23 said:

I think you need to look at what the ceiling of your picks will be. Prince and Josh Jones don't have nearly the same off the chart athletic ability and Becton. At the #11 pick you're searching for All-Pro LT not settling for starting LG in 2-3 years.  I'm good with how the draft played out considering we got a #1 W/R in middle-late 2nd round.

• Upvote 2

On 4/28/2020 at 12:42 PM, jetstream23 said:

Baun was a guy I really liked at that spot, i thought it would have made a lot of sense for the jets too. Player that had a higher grade falls due to a failed test, good production, really good school. In the third i thought it was just too much value to pass up.  But i can understand if as a GM youre not comfortable with the positive test being a diluted sample and not wanting to go that route.  

Anae at that spot in the draft I liked too, although I was not very high on the player overall.  He had a standout senior bowl applying consistent pressure, but all he profiled to me was a good first step in that game and had to do very little hand work or passrush moves in order to apply pressure.  Plus athletically he didnt profile at all with the way JD was looking to go.  Factor that in as he was predominantly a right side rusher and hadn't shown much versatility, I understood why he fell that much.  

• Upvote 2

On 4/28/2020 at 10:37 AM, T0mShane said:

IMO, the problem is that all of these rankings end up being aggregators anyway. They all putz around for nine months of the year and wait for Kiper/McShay/Jeremiah-types, who actually have sourcing, to put out their top-100 or whatever, then they just crib that info, make some minor changes to wording, then present it as though they were out beating the bushes scouting any of these guys. Of those 60 sources, maybe two of them could watch a college football game featuring non-FBS ranked teams and tell you which of those players, if any, are NFL caliber without having prior knowledge of those players. It’s a racket. So, the rankings they produce emanate from the same two or three guys every year.

Agree with 2 caveats

1. It is actually much easier to see which guys are NFL talent on non-ranked teams.  When you are watching Alabama who the **** can tell which of those guys is a 1st rounder and which is Saivion Smith.

2. I agree that people crib off the big boys, but sometimes there are valid reasons.  We can all watch the players have opinions of varying validity on their play.  The guys with real sources can tell what the coaches are saying about guys practice habits, what scouts thought (particularly at places like the senior bowl), what the medicals said, and have more info on character concerns and drug tests.

For instance, I'm pretty sure that two of the reaches, the tackle from Auburn had significant medical concerns and didn't Baun test positive at the combine?  Those guys probably knew that stuff way before us.  I know that read those kind of blurbs from them.

I have told the story before, but during the 2016 pro day season I flew into Tallahassee with a bunch of coaches and scouts headed to Florida State's pro day.  They were extremely candid with each other.  Hearing them talk about Bud Dupree was pretty funny.  If you were able to sit with those guys in a hotel bar you'd get a hell of a lot of information.

• Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Agree with 2 caveats

1. It is actually much easier to see which guys are NFL talent on non-ranked teams.  When you are watching Alabama who the **** can tell which of those guys is a 1st rounder and which is Saivion Smith.

2. I agree that people crib off the big boys, but sometimes there are valid reasons.  We can all watch the players have opinions of varying validity on their play.  The guys with real sources can tell what the coaches are saying about guys practice habits, what scouts thought (particularly at places like the senior bowl), what the medicals said, and have more info on character concerns and drug tests.

For instance, I'm pretty sure that two of the reaches, the tackle from Auburn had significant medical concerns and didn't Baun test positive at the combine?  Those guys probably knew that stuff way before us.  I know that read those kind of blurbs from them.

I have told the story before, but during the 2016 pro day season I flew into Tallahassee with a bunch of coaches and scouts headed to Florida State's pro day.  They were extremely candid with each other.  Hearing them talk about Bud Dupree was pretty funny.  If you were able to sit with those guys in a hotel bar you'd get a hell of a lot of information.

Good or bad?

11 hours ago, section314 said:

Good or bad?

Mostly it was just Jay Hayes the DLine coach for the Bengals and Clarence Brooks (RIP) the DLine coach from the Ravens talking about running Dupree through drills  Apparently on one of the mirror drills Dupree screwed up and popped Hayes a big shot.  Some guys were asking where he was going, 2nd or 1st and those two looked at them incredulously and said "oh he's going in the first, question is how high." 

There were a bunch of other guys, but the only other one who I remember by name was Don Bosco Prep's own Brian Gaine, who was a front office guy with the Texans at the time.  He was with the Jets as a player and scout under Parcells and Bradway.   I think he's with the Bills now.  Nice guy.  He also found the coach talk pretty amusing. Those guys were certainly clowning.   Did seem to be a little differentiation between the suits and the polo shirt guys.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1