Adam Gase interview

Jets head coach Adam Gase joins Ethan Greenberg and Eric Allen to discuss (among other topics). Gase interview (3:37): Virtual offseason program (3:56), thoughts on the roster (5:50), thoughts on Mekhi Becton (7:40) and Sam Darnold's improvements this offseason (11:38).

https://www.newyorkjets.com/audio/adam-gase-talks-jets-virtual-offseason-roster-draft-4-28

apple users

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-official-jets-podcast/id1033342807#episodeGuid=https%3A%2F%2Fnflnewyorkjets.cachefly.net%2Fcontent%2Fjets%2Fproduction%2F20200428172913-Pod4.28AdamGase.mp3

34 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

I've been pretty unimpressed with Gase since he arrived. Shoddy game plans, poor adjustments, poor analysis post game and seemed to start guys based on reputation rather than merit. He made a bad situation worse.

Has to be under pressure. Sam too. There's only so long the excuses can last.

am not a gase fan nor am i so down on him either ....   he's meh so far....so was bb, so was carroll...     

not so sure anyone coulda made the situ significantly better. 

we're still in the detritus left by cleveland and macc,

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

am not a gase fan nor am i so down on him either ....   he's meh so far....so was bb, so was carroll...     

It was little things like playing a defence 32nd in the league at defending outside runs and then proceeding to not try a single outside run. Scapegoating the WR's, namely Robby Anderson for the week one loss when the offensive line was folding like a pancake every other play. It literally took Osemele and Kalil's bodies falling apart for him to get them out of there, despite them both playing as badly as anyone in the league.

Seen countless play designs when players would be running to the same place, plays where literally one guy would be a receiving option, he would often move away from things that were working for no discernible reason. Total inability to scheme around the line's deficiencies, at least early on in the season to the point of utter negligence in some games. Cleveland comes to mind.

What's worse is Miami fans were talking about all of these problems in advance. 

He got a solid F on the season. We won our 7 games mostly against trash and Gregg Williams carried the team to most of those. If things unravel early again he should be gone before season's end. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

lanyway...  yeah running outside vs cinci with the slowest rb in the league...   meansu just get tackled further behind the line...

did you see him try to revers filed vs pittsburgh? ******* keystone cops

incapable of getting t the edge...

anyway...  you say .. F,    i'd say C-     

not tryna get you to change your mind. 

a good hc wasnt doing jack with that team. that qb. 

• Upvote 1

More than anything else, Gase will hold this team back.

I think any reasonable Jet fan knows this, whether they’ll admit or not.

The sooner we move on the better, Unfortunately, I think CJ is going to give him way too much time.  Only real hope is WJ comes back and takes over and wants brings in how own guy.

This was a very bad hire from the start and isn’t going to change.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3

2 hours ago, Losmeister said:

Spot on. Gase is going into year 2 of perhaps a 3 yr. deal. JD got him some tools to work with in FA & draft. He will expect to see better production offensively. The record may not reflect it, but if he gets this offense putting 20+ pts./game with well schemed chunk yardage plays and Sam takes a big step forward, he probably sees a 3rd yr. with higher expectations. Signature wins over Pats and Bills and some PO teams will help.

I don’t see how you can give gase a playoffs or else when he went 7-9 with darnold having mono and with mccagnan’s roster last year. This year you’re starting a lot of rookies with limited training camp. More than anything I think gase should be judged on the eye test, how guys look, are they developing, are they scoring. 

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

gets this offense putting 20+ pts./game with well schemed chunk yardage plays and Sam takes a big step forward, he probably sees a 3rd yr. with higher expectations. Signature wins over Pats and Bills and some PO teams will help.

this is what we need...

not, "we are not using bell properly, we need to give him the ball more"

I think if Darnold gets decent protection this year, and he should, the Jets don’t really have an excuse to not be 9-7 or better. Even in 2017, the whole team looked competitive when Darnold had some time to throw. It cannot be overstated how much Maccagnan ****ed Sam by ignoring OL for five years. This year, they started to address it and vast improvements should follow.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think if Darnold gets decent protection this year, and he should, the Jets don’t really have an excuse to not be 9-7 or better. Even in 2017, the whole team looked competitive when Darnold had some time to throw. It cannot be overstated how much Maccagnan ****ed Sam by ignoring OL for five years. This year, they started to address it and vast improvements should follow.

assuming they play a full 16 game schedule you're looking at a tough sched for the division playing kc, sf, etc, so the division winner will be decided by pulling out those tough div games like the jets failed to last year opening day.  for the first time in 20 yrs those games will decide the division.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I've been pretty unimpressed with Gase since he arrived. Shoddy game plans, poor adjustments, poor analysis post game and seemed to start guys based on reputation rather than merit. He made a bad situation worse.

Has to be under pressure. Sam too. There's only so long the excuses can last.

I think he will definitely be under pressure but Devils advocate... wouldnt you say the entire 2nd half of the season was an adjustment by Gase unto itself? 

I just don't see a world where anyone would have pulled through the first half with the amount of injuries and Sam's situation. The QB play we got after Sammy went down was historically inept, and the teams we played absolutely knew that going into the games. 

Also not sure why it matters you start guys based off reputation when the guys behind those guys sucked as well. 

• Upvote 1

We need continuity while the roster is being fixed. No excuses for anyone if they have time to learn the system and improve. This year should be 7-9/8-8 given the tougher schedule. 2021 season has to be playoffs.

Give Gase his 3 years and then move on from him and Sam if they don’t turn it around. At least we’ll probably have a better roster and GM so we’ll be on the right track still. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

He made a bad situation worse.

I see versions of this statement made a lot about Gase. My question is - how so? He won more games than Bowles did in any of his last three seasons as HC, despite dealing with a ton of critical injuries and coaching 2.5 games with Luke Falk at QB.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

The sooner we move on the better, Unfortunately, I think CJ is going to give him way too much time.  Only real hope is WJ comes back and takes over and wants brings in how own guy.

The hire got us Joe Douglas which may make it worthwhile regardless of how he coaches. Nevertheless I’m withholding judgement until I see what he can do with a decent roster. I also am reasonable and would happily admit what I knew if I knew it. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

55 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I don’t see how you can give gase a playoffs or else when he went 7-9 with darnold having mono and with mccagnan’s roster last year. This year you’re starting a lot of rookies with limited training camp. More than anything I think gase should be judged on the eye test, how guys look, are they developing, are they scoring. 

I think Williams deserves a lot of credit for the 7-9. Not a talented group of players FTMP. Injuries hurt D as well.

I would expect our D to avg. less that 18 pts/game (depending on schedule). Definitely expect that in our division with Brady gone. If the "O" steps up, don't see why 8-10 wins this year.... especially with Miama & a crippled NE in our division. Payback time lil' Blii

51 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

The AFC East hasn't been this winnable since Bernard Pollard snapped Brady's knee. 

The year Pennington put Favre in his place. Absolute scenes.

I wouldn’t say Pennington put Favre in his place. I’d say Favre’s ego and Mangini’s acceptance of it was thier end.

Miami had to mitigate Pennington’s faults by Wildcatting into the playoffs. They were crushed and Pennington humiliated after the Ravens stifled the Wildcat.

in Jets poetic symmetry- Rex put Pennington “in his place” and proceeded to replace Mangini a couple of months later.

48 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

In 2017 we had  McCown, Petty, and Hackenberg.

Sam went in the 2018 draft man. I agree with everything else you said though. With a 90% oline overhaul, things are looking up.

To me Gase's biggest weakness is his in-game play calling.  Typically when he has time to prepare, the team does well on their first drive. Then defenses adjust and he has no counter.  Loggains seems worthless on game day.  IMO to succeed, he's going to need Darnold to turn into Peyton and ad lib the play calls at the line...

Why does it feel like we have been treated to a long line of not-very-smart coaches.  We've had coaches that needed an entire coach just to help manage the clock, coaches who completely fail to make in-game adjustments, coaches who stare blankly at the field while the team is getting man-handled...

Is it the water in Florham Park?

I look forward to being able to run the ball. I think that will change Gase’s offense. Gase is a believer in throwing on first down, running on second and throwing on third. It’s statistically a good way to get first downs but when you have no running game it doesn’t work. I think this is gonna be Becton’s biggest value added to the team. GVR and McGovern are good pass blockers and average run ball blockers, Becton will give the line a dominant run blocker that will make the whole OL a little nastier. 

32 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think Williams deserves a lot of credit for the 7-9. Not a talented group of players FTMP. Injuries hurt D as well.

I would expect our D to avg. less that 18 pts/game (depending on schedule). Definitely expect that in our division with Brady gone. If the "O" steps up, don't see why 8-10 wins this year.... especially with Miama & a crippled NE in our division. Payback time lil' Blii

Williams does deserve credit, I agree. He is a killer. 

With that being said, if the buck stops with Gase for the losses, it should also stop with him for the wins. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Spot on. Gase is going into year 2 of perhaps a 3 yr. deal. JD got him some tools to work with in FA & draft. He will expect to see better production offensively. The record may not reflect it, but if he gets this offense putting 20+ pts./game with well schemed chunk yardage plays and Sam takes a big step forward, he probably sees a 3rd yr. with higher expectations. Signature wins over Pats and Bills and some PO teams will help.

i'm no gase lover or hater.  after 11 seasons of the clown and bowles the losing gets pretty old.  but considering that gase had a bad team and then that same team managed to finish at 6-2 should be encouraging to everyone.  gase got the team to play as a team and it worked. and not just williams coaching the defense.  boyer did a good job with specials.  and darnold was healthy down the stretch.  now we are right to expect more. many positions have been improved and douglas addressed the problem areas of the team.  it's all about the wins.

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Well one thing that may work is that Darnold will be running the show more and more and once Sam told Gase what worked better or he was more comfortable with then as long as he takes the lead like that we saw we were mainly just limited by a bad Oline that due to that was only allowing inconsistent to bad play. This can work, but Sam has to be the real brains behind the outfit.

The Jets biggest problem in 2020 is the travelling and the schedule.

If the Coronavirus helps any of that a bit, maybe the Jets end up better.

Could make it worse-the Jets could end up playing the AFC East teams only once.  Those teams could be their easier games in 2020.