Given what you know right now, would you attend a home-opener Jets game on September 13, 2020?

With what you know right now, would you attend a Jets game on September 13?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend a Jets game September 13?

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Don’t even comment in here because it’s going to turn into a bizarre tin-foil hat-wearing, political-psycho warfare toxic waste dump. Just answer the poll question. 

We know you’ll need to “see where we are,” and “well, is there a vaccine?” etc. I want to see where you are right now.

BASED ON WHAT YOU KNOW TODAY, WOULD YOU GO TO THE JETS HOME OPENER IF IT’S HELD SEPTEMBER 13, 2020

Yes, but if I was in the compromised health category with pre existing conditions I may wait depending on new cases rate in 2 weeks leading up to game

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Actually, the mortality rate is about 12 times higher than influenza. In a month and a half the US has lost more people to COVID than they did in the entire Vietnam War. The death rate for influenza over a full year in 2018 was around 34K. If half the population in the US is exposed to COVID, there will be around a million dead. By any measure, that's a very big number. Unlike accidents, this is potentially preventable if people are disciplined. It's a dreadful condundrum, and I appreciate your desire to go about your business and take whatever comes. I also appreciate the enormous economic cost. I hope there will at least be treatments available soon so we can bring mortality rates down significantly. That would be a gamechanger.

The mortality rate will continue to fluctuate, but will ultimately trend down, as they realize the extent of those infected. Right now a large portion of the people who were tested were the ones doing the worst and of course the worse off, with preexisting conditions, people are dying at a higher rate than normally healthy people, most of which will go through their exposure without any symptoms.  If all the people who have been infected and haven't been tested and haven't shown any symptoms were all of a sudden added to the formula you'd see a much lower mortality rate. In fact it has been said that a portion of the covid attributed deaths were from the flu, but right now the system is just going with the flow and moving to the next patient. I myself have actually complied with the social distance/quarantine unlike many people, but come September it becomes a matter of living life. We can't stay home forever due to some random possibility that has always existed. More people will probably die from the cure (social isolation economic disparity and all that comes with such things like depression, alcoholism, and abuse) than the disease we just won't count and trumpet those tallies. Accidents are often preventable too, but we accept the odds as we move through life. Also, models that get pushed on TV aren't set in stone. Often those models are incorrect.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes, agreed.  If I test positive for the antibody and its proven that the antibody is protection, I'll grab my hoodie, my hat, my boat shoes, and my khaki's and off we go to MetLife Stadium.

SAR I

That was simple. Clearly if you're part of the demographic at high risk (older and or preconditions) make an educated choice and probably stay home, but otherwise life goes on. You can't save everyone, and just because someone else may not be able to partake doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

No.  Not a chance.  Let's see....

Parking lot is tailgate Vietnam as it is, can't imagine having to joust and fight my way through through the unwashed masses but this time knowing they could kill me.

Congestion at security, no way anyone will respect 6 foot distancing, hell, sober people don't do it at my grocery store.

Un-sanitized bins that we're all forced to put our phones and keys in.

Minimum wage scanner person fuddling with my phone because they don't understand QR technology.

Mass of people at the escalators.

Too many people packed too tightly in seats, people behind me leaning forward breathing on my neck.

Food lines.  Food workers not wearing masks and talking too much.

Bathroom lines.  Drunken idiots not wearing masks and talking too much.

Egress crowds.  The drunk and the hungover, no masks, farting is a transmission source.

SAR I

This a sea change. But almost all of these things would be true anyway without any virus. Which is why home is still a better option if every one of these things were addressed. 

Vietnam, while bordering on a police state, is probably more pleasant and orderly on a Friday night drinking excursion than anything in the MetLife lot. In fact, the Vietnamese government  no doubt would do a better job than the NJSEA does forever. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The mortality rate will continue to fluctuate, but will ultimately trend down, as they realize the extent of those infected. Right now a large portion of the people who were tested were the ones doing the worst and of course the worse off, with preexisting conditions, people are dying at a higher rate than normally healthy people, most of which will go through their exposure without any symptoms.  If all the people who have been infected and haven't been tested and haven't shown any symptoms were all of a sudden added to the formula you'd see a much lower mortality rate. In fact it has been said that a portion of the covid attributed deaths were from the flu, but right now the system is just going with the flow and moving to the next patient. I've myself have actually complied with the social distance/quarantine unlike many people, but come September it becomes a matter of living life. We can't stay home forever due to some random possibility that has always existed. More people will probably die from the cure (social isolation economic disparity and all that comes with such things like depression, alcoholism, and abuse) than the disease we just won't count and trumpet those tallies. Accidents are often preventable too, but we accept the odds as we move through life. Also, models that get pushed on TV aren't set in stone. Often those models are incorrect.

Statistically when people talk about fatality rate, its very hard to figure that. What population are they talking about.Increasingly appears up to half of the US population has been either infected or exposed to the virus. But the vast majority have not become sick, or at least not sick enough to be hospitalized. As to the hospitalized population, that rate of fatality is known. But even there, some issue with the monkeying of cause of death when it wasn't necessarily or even determined to have been COVID19.Also you have to account for false positives  or people who have been tested multiple times. In short it's a mess. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

I had season tickets to the Nats, as well as concert tickets for Dead & Company, Roger Waters and Jimmy Buffett this summer.

I would say no to all of those right now.

No, I don't think I'd go to any stadium at all in 2020.  Better safe than sorry.  TV is good enough.

I mean the average age at those shows , should stay home anyway, just sayin

• Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Don’t even comment in here because it’s going to turn into a bizarre tin-foil hat-wearing, political-psycho warfare toxic waste dump. Just answer the poll question. 

We know you’ll need to “see where we are,” and “well, is there a vaccine?” etc. I want to see where you are right now.

BASED ON WHAT YOU KNOW TODAY, WOULD YOU GO TO THE JETS HOME OPENER IF IT’S HELD SEPTEMBER 13, 2020

200.gif

1 hour ago, Embrace the Suck said:

The mortality rate will continue to fluctuate, but will ultimately trend down, as they realize the extent of those infected. Right now a large portion of the people who were tested were the ones doing the worst and of course the worse off, with preexisting conditions, people are dying at a higher rate than normally healthy people, most of which will go through their exposure without any symptoms.  If all the people who have been infected and haven't been tested and haven't shown any symptoms were all of a sudden added to the formula you'd see a much lower mortality rate. In fact it has been said that a portion of the covid attributed deaths were from the flu, but right now the system is just going with the flow and moving to the next patient. I myself have actually complied with the social distance/quarantine unlike many people, but come September it becomes a matter of living life. We can't stay home forever due to some random possibility that has always existed. More people will probably die from the cure (social isolation economic disparity and all that comes with such things like depression, alcoholism, and abuse) than the disease we just won't count and trumpet those tallies. Accidents are often preventable too, but we accept the odds as we move through life. Also, models that get pushed on TV aren't set in stone. Often those models are incorrect.

Just to clarify, the infection rate will decrease, but until there is a treatment or vaccine the case rate (i.e., mortality among those with confirmed COVID) will remain alarmingly high. Those who want to mimimize he virus tend to cite infection rate figures, which naturally will be much smaller as testing shows the extent of exposure. My biggest concern is that there is a tremendous push by many governors (not to mention our federal government) to undercount, under-test, and do whatever is necessary to convince the public that all is well or will be all too soon. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Just to clarify, the infection rate will decrease, but until there is a treatment or vaccine the case rate (i.e., mortality among those with confirmed COVID) will remain alarmingly high. Those who want to mimimize he virus tend to cite infection rate figures, which naturally will be much smaller as testing shows the extent of exposure. My biggest concern is that there is a tremendous push by many governors (not to mention our federal government) to undercount, under-test, and do whatever is necessary to convince the public that all is well or will be all too soon. 

I don't think the mortality rate will be seen as alarmingly high once there is a larger more diverse set of data to work with, and put things in context. I think the infection rate is higher than people are assuming and once people figure out that it spread like wildfire throughout the US prior to people social distancing they'll start feeling more secure knowing the mortality rate isn't as high as the worst case scenario projects.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

I don't think the mortality rate will be seen as alarmingly high once there is a larger more diverse set of data to work with, and put things in context. I think the infection rate is higher than people are assuming and once people figure out that it spread like wildfire throughout the US prior to people social distancing they'll start feeling more secure knowing the mortality rate isn't as high as the worst case scenario projects.

Which will be misleading unless they do autopsies on everyone who died from illness dating back through January, and possibly earlier. 

6 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

A simple yes or no will do .

4 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

We agree that overall mortality rates will drop once it's understood how many people have been infected. But as I said, the issue is not the overall mortality rate. The virus has barely scratched the surface of overall population. It will be the case rate once people are ill with COVID that will be staggering, unless there is treatment and/or a vaccine. I can't imagine anyone would simply say that it's okay for a million Americans to die so we can get a haircut or see a football game and call it life or natural selection. I don't think that's where you're coming from, but I think you're being a bit blase about outcomes. A million deaths would equal approximately the losses of life in the American Civil War and WWII combined. Those numbers are not okay. In a month a half we are already approaching double the rate of a full year of influenza. They're not in any way comparable illnesses.

Being around the virus every single day, seeing how fast it progresses, and what it does?  You couldn't pay for me to go.

I just bought a new 55", 4k, HDR TV, that I calibrated to near perfection.  I'll stick with that.

4 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Not sure.  I live in NYC and have been extremely cautious for a month and a half, but it's wearing on me.  It will depend on how the numbers continue to trend.  

Also, when I was 5, I got chickenpox from some jerkoff in front of me at a Jets game.  I must've been one of the last chickenpox cases lol

Cannot wait to go out to dinner or spend an evening in a bar.