Do the Jets regret not having Mike McCarthy as HC?

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Gase had a crap roster to deal with and a QB who got Mono to start the season.  But, he was smart enough to get Maccagnan ousted and a new GM put in place.  The new GM then gets rave reviews for signing 4 Offensive lineman, using the #11 pick on another and drafting/signing multiple more players at WR and RB.  Fans now "see the light" and are raving about Joe Douglas when in fact Douglas is just proving that Gase had Zero to work with last season.

If you approve of the job Douglas has done this offseason in terms of prioritizing the offense then you agree that the offensive roster was complete sh*t.  It's a small miracle that this team went 6-2 over its final 8 games!

I have zero regrets about not hiring Mike McCarthy.  80% of his offensive playbook is from 2006.

Exactly. Gase gets a lot of criticism from media and fans, and only some of it is justified. He had a lot of garbage on that roster. When Darnold went down with the Mono, Gase was screwed. I actually like Gase as an OC. I like his play calling. As a HC, I’ll reserve judgement until after this coming season if we play the games. 

And on a side note, Gregg Williams should’ve gotten an award for what he did with that defense last year. A bunch of backups filling in for injured players, and they actually played really well down the stretch. That was all GW. He made rib eye steaks out of mushy ground beef. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Hated the idea of McCarthy he was last on my list of prospective head coaches. Of course they signed the second to last candidate. So McCarthy leaves, Green Bay gets better and because GB drafts a QB I am supposed to regret getting McCarthy? FFS McCarthy is a stiff. He has steadfastly refused to adapt to the changing NFL landscape. He is a complete dinosaur. Plus if we got McCarthy we likely still have Mac too. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Aaron Rodgers is the reason why McCarthy was successful and why LaFleur had a 13-3 season. McCarthy was 3-8-1 without Rodgers. When I see two full seasons of McCarthy in Dallas, I'll decide if passing on him was a mistake. In comparison, Belichick was 15-5 without Brady. 

Weren’t they 3-1 when Brady was suspended, not 4-0?

3 hours ago, docdhc said:

Weren’t they 3-1 when Brady was suspended, not 4-0?

The game Tom Brady got hurt is not included. Belichick went 10-5 in games started by Cassel that year. 

Edit - My math still isn't adding up. Add a loss to my original stats and it still shows that Belichick can win without a QB and McCarthy can't.

6 hours ago, ljr said:

unlikely we have JD without Gase though ... which appears to a giant win for us at the moment

This is really everything.  JD is looking like he just might be the strongest GM we've ever had.(We've actually had TWO accountants hold the positions ugh)

The way he managed and navigated through the draft was fun to watch. If the actual selections work out we are about to witness a major turnaround for the Jets. I don't think JD is so married to Gase as to let his own career slide down the terlet for him though. If Gase is being a bonehead who is too stubborn to adjust from what isn't working I think JD will pull the trigger on and move on.  

If all Gase did for us was net us JD then it's worth not grabbing McCarthy when we had the chance. 

Now Rodgers??? I'm really curious to see if he does the same thing to Love as Favre did to him. You'd like to think he would act differently, but probably not. He's a derkherd of epic proportions but Lafleur better be careful what he wishes for. Chances are Love is not Rodgers. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Gase had a crap roster to deal with and a QB who got Mono to start the season.  But, he was smart enough to get Maccagnan ousted and a new GM put in place.  The new GM then gets rave reviews for signing 4 Offensive lineman, using the #11 pick on another and drafting/signing multiple more players at WR and RB.  Fans now "see the light" and are raving about Joe Douglas when in fact Douglas is just proving that Gase had Zero to work with last season.
If you approve of the job Douglas has done this offseason in terms of prioritizing the offense then you agree that the offensive roster was complete sh*t.  It's a small miracle that this team went 6-2 over its final 8 games!
I have zero regrets about not hiring Mike McCarthy.  80% of his offensive playbook is from 2006.

Great post!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Sympathy 1

Gase gets credit for ridding us of Mac and rightly so but he also got rid of Lee for which he we should be thankful as well.  I just hope going forward we see the 6-2 Gase and not the 1-7 Gase.  Right, holding the locker room together after that start was a HUGE feat as well.  I have my green colored glasses firmly in place, go Jets!   

• Upvote 1

I wanted McCarthy. And I think Gase is a moron. Not sure we end up with JD in charge without him though, so all in all I'd rather have Gase here *right now*.

Besides, I personally think that a healthy Sam, going into year 2 of a system, is going to make Gase look a whole lot smarter this year. 

13 hours ago, Jetsfan4life90 said:

Does Joe Douglas still come here if we hire Matt Rhule, though?

Probably not, but the question asked on this post is if I regret not having McCarthy as the coach.  My answer is an emphatic no and that if I had a choice AT THAT TIME I would have chosen Matt Rhule.   

14 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

At this point I am fine with Gase, since he is here, and like most hope for the best.

In truth, I think Gase is going to have very very GOOD season as a play caller!

The question is did Roger's attitude help dictate what McCarthy ran?

Appreciate your positivity but I guess we will see about Gase.  Remember it took Darnold to meet with him when the Jets were abysmal in the middle of the season and convinced him to change things around with the offense.

That's supposed to be the coaching staffs job.  

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, JoePNYJ1 said:

Remember it took Darnold to meet with him when the Jets were abysmal in the middle of the season and convinced him to change things around with the offense.

Oh, wait, you mean the QB gave feedback to his first year coach and the coach listened and implemented it? My god that sounds horrible.

39 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Oh, wait, you mean the QB gave feedback to his first year coach and the coach listened and implemented it? My god that sounds horrible.

It sure does since its the head coach that needs to make the offensive adjustments.  Guys like Andy Reid and Doug Pederson would have made these adjustments. 

17 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Absolutely agree. I just pray everything works out for the best. Unbelievable how many negative Nancys here wanted Gases's hide right off the bat. Give the guy a chance if he's not right for the Jets ...... THEN we can hang him.

Can you point to a solitary  readon Gase earned his soot as the HC. Was bringing the most unimaginative O that utlized none of Sam's strengths  the reason? 

2 hours ago, JoePNYJ1 said:

It sure does since its the head coach that needs to make the offensive adjustments.  Guys like Andy Reid and Doug Pederson would have made these adjustments. 

Seems like Adam did make those adjustments hence the better results as opposed to not taking feedback from his QB. It was also their first year and they only had one game together prior to Sam, a second year player in a new system, sitting out for a few weeks with mono. So you should probably take it easy with the monday morning quarterbacking and the laughably thin narrative you're pushing. Maybe if McCarthy listened to Rodgers they'd have won more and he'd still be their coach.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Seems like Adam did make those adjustments hence the better results as opposed to not taking feedback from his QB. It was also their first year and they only had one game together prior to Sam, a second year player in a new system, sitting out for a few weeks with mono. So you should probably take it easy with the monday morning quarterbacking and the laughably thin narrative you're pushing. Maybe if McCarthy listened to Rodgers they'd have won more and he'd still be their coach.

Wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed!  I am just expressing my opinion.  Now go back on your knees for "Adam".

my first choice was mccarthy.  i wasn't a big fan of gase although he did appear to have good teams when he had a stable qb situation.  at this point i want to see things play out.  more visible and significant improvement this season.  playoffs aren't a must but it's also a goal.  division championship likewise.

23 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Can you point to a solitary  readon Gase earned his soot as the HC. Was bringing the most unimaginative O that utlized none of Sam's strengths  the reason? 

I think there a couple positive things you can point out about Gase that gives hope.

1. We were quite excellent on scripted plays at the beginnings of games.  In year 2 we should see marked improvement outside of that as the offense has better personnel and a dramtically better OL

2. Gase just let Williams and Boyer do their jobs. Not something you could say about Rex, Bowles, Mangini or Herm. Their fingerprints were all over the opposite side of the ball

Gase was saddled with among the worst if not the worst offensive roster in the NFL and LITERALLY an incompetent offensive line. Like I said Gase would not have been my choice but he did some good things and hard to judge him when he had nothing to work with other than Sam for the most part.

• Sympathy 1

On 4/30/2020 at 3:40 PM, JoePNYJ1 said:

Wow someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed!  I am just expressing my opinion.  Now go back on your knees for "Adam".

I was just expressing my opinion too in response to your opinion. After that I was merely dispelling your poorly thought out response to mine. I guess supporting the coach instead of blindly hating him and attacking others who disagree as you did means I'm on my knees. Seems you're just upset that your argument clearly doesn't hold water so you attack me like as if you're still a child. Yes, Adam, that's his name just like Rex, Todd, or Joe.

Definitely no issues with not hiring McCarthy. Wish we had hired Flores instead, but hoping for the best with Gase. He now has 4 years as a head coach under his belt, and I don't think it is out of the question that he can improve and become at least an above average head coach. I do think he is an intelligent person (albeit a little socially awkward) and the fact that the team didn't quit last season is encouraging.

Right now I'm willing to go with Gase and Douglas because after a wild start last year in terms of the HC getting the GM fired and losing most of their games first half of the season they won 6 out of 7 and that's a cause for much optimism. Gase was able to turn things around. So I'm willing to buy into their plan. As for Douglas and his first draft I'm not going to give him any medals yet or say how great the draft was. We know it doesn't work that way. It takes in normal circumstances 3 years to make that call. Hopefully most of the guys he drafted will be contributors. If a few years from now none of these guys have plus careers you know what is going to happen. 

McCarthy clearly is the better head coach. There’s no disputing that. Gase is younger and can still turn it around, or keep sucking.

But in the Jetsiest way imaginable...hiring McCarthy would have kept Mac here for awhile, and we would have kept getting sh*t players. As a result, Mccarthy would hover at around .500 during his time here and barely move the needle.

Gase bringing us Joe Douglas might be the best thing Gase ever ends up doing. 

Coaching isn't as relevant as people think.

Unless your coach is part GM, and has a final say in personnel hiring and scouting, like Belichick, most of those guys are place-holders.

QB is, and always will be, the most important person in the organization. An elite QB masks incompetence like nothing else. Most of the coordinators in the league piggy-back on good QBs.

Get darnold a good supporting cast and he'll get it done.

On 4/29/2020 at 5:17 PM, jetstream23 said:

And mcCarthy eventually realized he was behind the times. He spent the whole season with a shadow coaching staff including jim hazlet in his well equipped barn office breaking down film of every game and devising new schemes. He “changed” so much that he decided to keep the cowboys OC. He wouldn’t have done that last year. The year away probably made him a better HC, which is a good thing because the guy he was the day after GB fired him was a dinosaur.

• Upvote 1