Tony Pauline on Mims

1 minute ago, TNJet said:

Sometimes the board just falls that way. I think its more because of the depth at the position.

I could see that, but that can be translated as JD got lucky, and luck isnt a strategy. So I'm curious as to who JD may have been truly targeting with the move back. 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

When JD traded down, it basically said that he had a bunch of players all equally valued with respect to need/talent and whatever formulae he uses, and that he was pretty confident at least one of them would be there 11 picks later.  We will never know the priority order of that list or what positions it included.  Maybe Mims at the top of it, maybe not.  I'll bet Davis was on the list. 

Fair. The equal values aspect does make sense. 

2 hours ago, RobR said:

He was considered a late first-second round pick. He went in the middle of the second round. I'm not sure what you're getting at.

This. He was a second round pick BEFORE the combine. We was a second round pick AFTER the combine. 

The only people who moved him up their boards are sitting at their computers discussing why he dropped. The reality is a lot of WRs went in unexpected slots. Who REALLY thought Ruggs would go first? Or, Lamb would go third (and to DAL at that?!), or that DEN/PHI wouldn’t trade up but SF would?

12. Ruggs

15. Jeudy

17. Lamb

21. Raegor

22. Jefferson

25. Aiyuk (traded up for)

33. Higgins

34. Pittman

42. Shenault

46. Hamler 

49. Claypool

57. V Jefferson

59. Mims

——

Truth is we may wanted YAC monsters like Aiyuk/Hamler and when they left the board, the remaining guys (Claypool, Jefferson, and Mims) were very closely ranked together for their skill set, and we took the calculated risk of getting ONE of them, and at the upside of gaining more picks. It’s why teams trade down. 

• Upvote 3

35 minutes ago, JTJet said:

It HAS to be brought up for the sake of debate. 

If Mims is as good as suggested, why was he passed over twice by essentially every team and the 13th receiver taken? 

I'm not bashing the player at all, and I love that we got him. But we have to take that into account when reading every single "pro Mims" article out there. 

I mean, its a fair point. Here are the WRs that were taken ahead of Mims in order. 

Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamb, Reagor, Jefferson, Aiyuk, Higgins, Pittman, Shenault, Hamler, Claypool, Van Jefferson, Mims

So rather than look at why Mims slid, I'm just gonna think about why the other guys may have gone ahead of Mims. It certainly surprised me that Aiyuk went as early as he did. I thought Van Jefferson would be drafted much later. Personally, I thought Hamler was going to slide but I knew he was rated high. Claypool may have been a surprise but I knew he would go earlier than many prognosticators expected.

Other than that, all of these WRs were projected Rd. 1, early Rd. 2. So yes, Mims definitely slid, maybe the drops (due to a broken hand or not) concerned GMs, maybe teams just wanted a specific type of WR with specific skill sets (Claypool, Hamler, V.Jefferson, Shenaullt), but I don't see any red flags with the way Mims slid. I think the Jets for once just got some luck and nabbed a talented player while netting an extra pick via trade down.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

It’s a copy cat leuage so everyone wants compact Yac speed recievers like Hill, 5+ years ago Mims is a first rounder based in profile and the other guys are 3rd rounders.

Mims is also a little older and played at Baylor in an offense that didn’t fully showcase his skillset.

Think about it this way, in the deepest WR draft ever he still went in the second. 

4 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Its funny that people actually think he knew Mims would be there.  Can you imagine if he picked Davis there.  OMG. He'd be villified.

The fanbase is always sure that they’re smarter than the guy that’s paid to do this. Hindsight is always 20/20 when the results come in. The guy living in his mom’s basement will always emerge two years later, screaming “I told ya so!”  

It’s comedy. And actually, quite sad too. 

• Upvote 1

A lot of things were going on.  IMO there is a genuine Baylor bias.  It's mostly deserved.

Because of the virus players couldn't make visits.  Very good WR draft.  Claypool was taken at 49.  Guys a beast, but he was still on the board.  GM's probably went with the safer picks from more NFL ready schools.

Doesn't mean this guy isn't the best WR in a good draft.  I think he is

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure the scouting staff was as high on Mims as this board. One thing that concerns me about Mims is he doesn't get much seperation, and that is against some weak defenses. His lack of Yac has also been beaten to death. I'm rooting for the kid but he has work to do.

2 hours ago, TNJet said:

Sometimes the board just falls that way. I think its more because of the depth at the position.

Exactly. I think teams needing WR help took them early and often. By the time the Jets were on the board half the league had taken WR and moved on to other needs. JD imo took this into account and figured, like Becton, he’d still have a few good WR to choose from even after trading back

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

17 minutes ago, tdoublee said:

I'm not sure the scouting staff was as high on Mims as this board. One thing that concerns me about Mims is he doesn't get much seperation, and that is against some weak defenses. His lack of Yac has also been beaten to death. I'm rooting for the kid but he has work to do.

Then why did the Senior Bowl competition have to resort to holding him if he couldn’t separate? This according to Pauline. Called him best receiver at senior bowl

Something about Mims bothers me on tape, I think he takes plays off.

Hard to know exactly what it was without access to all of his film, only highlights and a few games, but I have a bad feeling about him.

Nothing to do with his immense talent,  just a problematic vibe I get.

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We traded down when he was on the board 2 WRs were taken between the time we traded down and when we got mims.

Douglas was lucky on this one.

The day the Jets have a perfect draft is the day i will heap praise on them for a whole draft.

Isn't the narrative on JD that he is looking at groups of players and placing certain values on them.  He is not focused on a particular player.  He works the draft in term of how to best maximize that value with our picks.  I would assume those evaluations are fluid, not set in stone no matter what.  Therefore, once Becton went off the board I would guess others in the OT position would not then have quite as high of a value as they would if we'd have picked the WR in round 1.  I'm not sure of any of those details, ... just spit-balling ... but the point is that JD does not draft for a particular player

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, ljr said:

Isn't the narrative on JD that he is looking at groups of players and placing certain values on them.  He is not focused on a particular player.  He works the draft in term of how to best maximize that value with our picks.  I would assume those evaluations are fluid, not set in stone no matter what.  Therefore, once Becton went off the board I would guess others in the OT position would not then have quite as high of a value as they would if we'd have picked the WR in round 1.  I'm not sure of any of those details, ... just spit-balling ... but the point is that JD does not draft for a particular player

Completely agree that once they pull the trigger on that position their draft board would and should turn dramatically. IE After Becton went in the first you would have to believe they dropped all of the OT's down several notches.......and that is the way our draft played out.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, tdoublee said:

Good point about the lack of separation. I noticed it too with Mims.

Still happy we got him just based on his natural ability. 

Mims is going to be a Star, other great resent Receivers fell to round 2. 
In hindsight the receivers below would be 1st rounders if re-drafted.:-

JuJu Smith-Schuster 2017 taken 62nd.

Michael Thomas 2026 taken 47th.

Davante Adams 2014 taken 53rd.

Jarvis Landry 2014 taken 63rd.

Jordy Nelson 2007 taken 36th.

In resent history, seems there’s a sweet spot from late 40’s to early 60’s for great receivers taken. I think Mims is next on that list.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

At the same time Jalen Reagor went 21st overall to the Eagles also out of the big 12 (TCU)  give me Mims over Reagor all day twice a day for days 

To be fair Reagor is electrifying and I think will be one of the best out of this class and he’s also a top returner. Reagor being good to great doesn’t diminish the fact that Mims could be an outrageous steal. They might both end up being the guys when we look back at this class

5 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Yes, that’s the most applicable comp I see as well.  Very similar players.

Hate player comps, but why not so here goes:

Hands: A.J. Green
Body Positioning vs defender: Terrell Owens
Speed: Really no need to comp to anyone, but Randy Moss
Routes: Nobody I would like. But way better than Metcalf last year.

That was fun.  He'll be on his way to Canton before you know it.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

This. He was a second round pick BEFORE the combine. We was a second round pick AFTER the combine. 

The only people who moved him up their boards are sitting at their computers discussing why he dropped. The reality is a lot of WRs went in unexpected slots. Who REALLY thought Ruggs would go first? Or, Lamb would go third (and to DAL at that?!), or that DEN/PHI wouldn’t trade up but SF would?

12. Ruggs

15. Jeudy

17. Lamb

21. Raegor

22. Jefferson

25. Aiyuk (traded up for)

33. Higgins

34. Pittman

42. Shenault

46. Hamler 

49. Claypool

57. V Jefferson

59. Mims

——

Truth is we may wanted YAC monsters like Aiyuk/Hamler and when they left the board, the remaining guys (Claypool, Jefferson, and Mims) were very closely ranked together for their skill set, and we took the calculated risk of getting ONE of them, and at the upside of gaining more picks. It’s why teams trade down. 

I understand the strategy, but damn that was risky given the gaping hole we had at the position.

18 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Much like mcgagnan was a genius for getting darnold by trade up to #3 even though he could have been stuck with any of about 4 QBs.

Hey i said this very thing at the time, Douglas is a genius but he would have been a gnius with two or three other Wrs he could have had at that point in the draft.

He easily could have drafted Ashtyn Davis at 59 had Mims been taken.  There would have been a nukular explosion here if that happened.  He was quite willing to let Mims go somewhere else.  There is no "genius" in this.  He had a list of fairly equally valued players for the Jets and saw the opportunity to get another 3rd round pick and still get one of them, and took it.  Fact: the new third round pick was more valuable than locking in Mims at 48.  It was worth the gamble to him.  Genius or not (I lean not) I'm happy Mims is a Jet.  But to anyone who truly believes that Douglas somehow knew he'd be at 59... come on... get real.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, JetsLife said:

New York Jets

Steal: Denzel Mims was described to me as the most complete package at the receiver position. If he develops into a starter, this will be one of the finest selections by the Jets in a long, long time.

if he plays more than 3 seasons for the jets he will be one their finest 2nd round selections in a long long time.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Dcat said:

He easily could have drafted Ashtyn Davis at 59 had Mims been taken.  There would have been a nukular explosion here if that happened.  He was quite willing to let Mims go somewhere else.  There is no "genius" in this.  He had a list of fairly equally valued players for the Jets and saw the opportunity to get another 3rd round pick and still get one of them, and took it.  Fact: the new third round pick was more valuable than locking in Mims at 48.  It was worth the gamble to him.  Genius or not (I lean not) I'm happy Mims is a Jet.  But to anyone who truly believes that Douglas somehow knew he'd be at 59... come on... get real.

douglas may not be a genius but he did something mac wouldn't have even dreamed of doing.  it's still a good move.

• Upvote 3