Jump to content
maury77

10 most improved units after the 2020 NFL Draft and free agency

Recommended Posts

Really happy with what they did with the Cornerback position. Joe did very well there. 
 

Edge and WR is all we’re needing.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CurtMart said:

The impact Mosley will have on this D is highly underrated. He’s going to be all over the field making plays after plays when healthy. 

If this team can find an Edge Rusher & just 1 of these CBs develops into a #1 this can be a top 5 defense.

With Mosely back & QW getting even just a bit better, no one is consistently running on the Jets. I expect Shepard, Foley & Phillips to be even better with last years experience & they were #2 against the run. 

So, now GW has your offense one dimensional & schemes against 2nd & 3rd passing downs. We'll have playmakers at every level. Mosely & Adams will be a handful, Mosely was dominant in that Buffalo game B4 his injury. 

Adding Davis as a center fielder while these guys are pressuring up front will awesome. I'm expecting a lot more interceptions this season. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Jetster said:

If this team can find an Edge Rusher & just 1 of these CBs develops into a #1 this can be a top 5 defense.

With Mosely back & QW getting even just a bit better, no one is consistently running on the Jets. I expect Shepard, Foley & Phillips to be even better with last years experience & they were #2 against the run. 

So, now GW has your offense one dimensional & schemes against 2nd & 3rd passing downs. We'll have playmakers at every level. Mosely & Adams will be a handful, Mosely was dominant in that Buffalo game B4 his injury. 

Adding Davis as a center fielder while these guys are pressuring up front will awesome. I'm expecting a lot more interceptions this season. 

the defense did pretty well without mosely and limited amounts of qwill.  those guys can only help.  but the biggest need, corner, was addressed to a large degree.  if they add ryan that's just icing on the cake.  this could be a really exceptional defense.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, maury77 said:

Jets secondary makes the list. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-10-most-improved-units-after-the-2020-nfl-draft-and-free-agency

 

 

"The Jets’ secondary was by no means bad in 2019 … it was just a bit top-heavy. They had one of the best safety duos in the NFL in Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye — both of whom ranked among the top-20 highest-graded safeties in coverage last year — to go along with one of the league’s most underrated slot cornerbacks in Brian Poole. But it was murky other than that, and their coverage as a whole suffered as a result.

Luckily for them, they got Bryce Hall 158th overall in the draft. A Week 7 injury destroyed Hall’s stock somewhat, but he has the makings of a potential steal if his health is in order — he has some of the best ball skills we have ever seen and actually produced the highest forced incompletion percentage in the two seasons before he got hurt.

They also picked up Pierre Desir after the Colts released him. Desir has had an up-and-down career and is coming off a rough season that was hindered by injury, but he produced the 18th-highest grade at his position in 2018. This was a great low-risk, high-reward signing by the Jets.

And while safety wasn’t a huge need for the team, when a guy like Ashtyn Davis is available at pick No. 68, you take him. Davis was considered the best single-high safety in the class in our eyes — he is a rare athlete and former track star at Cal. If I were Gregg Williams, I’m tweaking the defense to ensure Adams, Maye and Davis are all on the field at the same time for the Jets, because that would be an absolute headache for opposing quarterbacks."

I posted this in another thread, but when you look at our defense last year, along with the personnel we added, I absolutely think Williams is going to play a lot more zone.

Here is the Desir scouting report:  Desir is at his best when playing in zone coverages or when he has safety support. Gregg Williams has favored man-to-man coverages with a single-high safety in the past but had success with a system primarily based on Cover-2 zone coverages with the Jets over the second half of last year.  Predictably, while Desir had his best ever season after the switch to a zone-based system with new defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus in 2018, Hairston - who is better off in man coverage - struggled more than he had in the previous season. That’s why he ended up with the Jets in the first place, so it would be ironic if they now became more of a zone-based team and he was no longer a fit for them either.

Here is the scouting report on Bryce Hall:

Hall is a long and physical corner with exceptional ball skills, but his quickness and agility are only average making him best suited for a zone heavy scheme in the NFL. While he isn’t a universal scheme fit, Hall profiles as a plus starter in the right role and his ability to make game-changing plays on the football certainly increase his appeal.

Then you add someone like Ashytn Davis who is really a hybrid CB/S who we dont need at safety in 2020 and can either take Maye's spot in 2021 or fill more of a big nickel DB role in 2020 and use his speed to cover underneath if we use zone concepts, it seems like that is how we are building our defense.  If we can hit on a pass rusher that would be great, but it seems like this is a smarter use of our personnel.

GW can play Adams closer to the LOS and allow him or Poole to blitz, while letting Maye play center field and let Davis have a situational role where he can use his speed to cover ground and help protect Desir, Austin or Hall. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More than 1 of you guys said it, so I'm not going to quote, but the cover 3 zones the team will be able to run while allowing these long CBs to press at the line then drop into zones is going to be a tough D. Jets really are only 1 pass rusher away from making this a scary defense. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, rangerous said:

the defense did pretty well without mosely and limited amounts of qwill.  those guys can only help.  but the biggest need, corner, was addressed to a large degree.  if they add ryan that's just icing on the cake.  this could be a really exceptional defense.

Still need one more Pass Rusher. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, maury77 said:

If I were Gregg Williams, I’m tweaking the defense to ensure Adams, Maye and Davis are all on the field at the same time for the Jets, because that would be an absolute headache for opposing quarterbacks."

Left Outside Safety --------------------------- Right Outside Safety

---------------------Middle Strong Safety--------------------------

Cornerback ----------------------------------------------Cornerback

Left Outside Linebacker-----------------Right Outside Linebacker

D-End ------------- D-Tackle --------- D-Tackle ----------- D-End

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Left Outside Safety --------------------------- Right Outside Safety

---------------------Middle Strong Safety--------------------------

Cornerback ----------------------------------------------Cornerback

Left Outside Linebacker-----------------Right Outside Linebacker

D-End ------------- D-Tackle --------- D-Tackle ----------- D-End

 

Works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Still need one more Pass Rusher. 

if qwill plays to his hype he will be able to crush the oline pocket and free up some rushing lanes.  i know people are clamoring for an edge rusher and those players are valuable but at the same time the pass rush can be manufactured by using various schemes. and beefing up the corners should take some pressure off the dline to rush hard on every play.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, rangerous said:

if qwill plays to his hype he will be able to crush the oline pocket and free up some rushing lanes.  i know people are clamoring for an edge rusher and those players are valuable but at the same time the pass rush can be manufactured by using various schemes. and beefing up the corners should take some pressure off the dline to rush hard on every play.

I won't believe JD will go into the season without adding a pass rusher (prefer Griffin but he's got mental issues I believe). 

Interesting that those guys are still on the market. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Left Outside Safety --------------------------- Right Outside Safety

---------------------Middle Strong Safety--------------------------

Cornerback ----------------------------------------------Cornerback

Left Outside Linebacker-----------------Right Outside Linebacker

D-End ------------- D-Tackle --------- D-Tackle ----------- D-End

 

Where does Moseley fit into this scheme?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All you say is true.  If we have vastly improved the OL like most of us think, we should be able to extend drives, increase time of possession and field position.  Those things benefit a defense greatly.   

  • Post of the Week 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Left Outside Safety --------------------------- Right Outside Safety

---------------------Middle Strong Safety--------------------------

Cornerback ----------------------------------------------Cornerback

Left Outside Linebacker-------Middle Linebacker----------Right Outside Linebacker

                       D-End ------------- D-Tackle --------- D-Tackle

That, or a 3-3-5 version of the same thing.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Where does Moseley fit into this scheme?

You tell me, I have no idea what a Three-Safety system looks like, lol.

Here are the two items I've heard repeated alot in recent weeks:

1. We're gonna find a way to play three safeties.

2. We're going to run alot more 4 Lineman D-Fronts.

Presuming we still choose to play 2x Cornerbacks (and who knows!), that leaves two spots for LB'ers.

I'm not overly worries, Williams is a good D-Co, and I am sure he will find ample room to play our 2nd best Defensive player on most downs, lol.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, chirorob said:

That, or a 3-3-5 version of the same thing.

I think the 3-3-5 is what gives us flexibility to be able to cover without having an elite CB - but the true versatility that Adams and Q/Fatuski give us is the ability to play nickel on early downs and still not leave the team susceptible to getting gashed on a run.

On any 2nd and 3+ yards we can play

"DL" of Henry Anderson-Q-Fatuski-Jenkins

"LBS" of Mosley and Adams

DBs of  Maye, Poole, Desir and CB2 (or sub in Davis if he can handle it) over Poole.  

This group can morph int a "Big Dime" on 3rd and Long with 

DT in Anderson-Q

LBs of Jenkins and Mosley

"Safeties" of Adams (close to the LOS), Maye and Davis

CBs of Poole, Desir and CB2.  

This dime lineup can play Jenkins as an edge rusher and Adams, Mosley and Poole all near the LOS with as each is a good blitzer.  We can end up with a minimum of 3 and a combination of, 4, 5, or 6 rushers coming from different spots all while having a ton of speed on the field to cover, even in the event we rush 5 or 6.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, maury77 said:

Jets secondary makes the list. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-10-most-improved-units-after-the-2020-nfl-draft-and-free-agency

 

 

"The Jets’ secondary was by no means bad in 2019 … it was just a bit top-heavy. They had one of the best safety duos in the NFL in Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye — both of whom ranked among the top-20 highest-graded safeties in coverage last year — to go along with one of the league’s most underrated slot cornerbacks in Brian Poole. But it was murky other than that, and their coverage as a whole suffered as a result.

Luckily for them, they got Bryce Hall 158th overall in the draft. A Week 7 injury destroyed Hall’s stock somewhat, but he has the makings of a potential steal if his health is in order — he has some of the best ball skills we have ever seen and actually produced the highest forced incompletion percentage in the two seasons before he got hurt.

They also picked up Pierre Desir after the Colts released him. Desir has had an up-and-down career and is coming off a rough season that was hindered by injury, but he produced the 18th-highest grade at his position in 2018. This was a great low-risk, high-reward signing by the Jets.

And while safety wasn’t a huge need for the team, when a guy like Ashtyn Davis is available at pick No. 68, you take him. Davis was considered the best single-high safety in the class in our eyes — he is a rare athlete and former track star at Cal. If I were Gregg Williams, I’m tweaking the defense to ensure Adams, Maye and Davis are all on the field at the same time for the Jets, because that would be an absolute headache for opposing quarterbacks."

 

Those are pretty bold statements.  I know PFF is a largely data/analytics driven group so I'd be interested in seeing what supports these two statements.  A little context might help..... Did Bryce Hall have the highest forced incompletion % in those two seasons out of every CB in the NCAA?

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, maury77 said:

"...And while safety wasn’t a huge need for the team, when a guy like Ashtyn Davis is available at pick No. 68, you take him. Davis was considered the best single-high safety in the class in our eyes — he is a rare athlete and former track star at Cal. If I were Gregg Williams, I’m tweaking the defense to ensure Adams, Maye and Davis are all on the field at the same time for the Jets, because that would be an absolute headache for opposing quarterbacks."

Animated GIF

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

The OL got upgraded more than the secondary...

Depends how you look at it.  Some of the OL we got are just temp fixes.  McGovern and Van Roten won’t be on the team in 3 years(maybe Roten), and Fant...please!  He is not that good, maybe in our system and with our coaches that will change.  I love me some Becton and Carter looks promising, and they most likely will play for years to come.  Whereas all the DBs we got have talent.  Desir was great in 2018 and has to prove it this year, Davis is one of the best pure athletes in the entire draft, Hall was considered one of the best lockdown corners in college football until his injury, and let’s not forget Lamar Jackson.  I think more of our new DBs are going to produce more than the new OL.  If anything it is six of one half dozen of another.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lil O said:

Depends how you look at it.  Some of the OL we got are just temp fixes.  McGovern and Van Roten won’t be on the team in 3 years(maybe Roten), and Fant...please!  He is not that good, maybe in our system and with our coaches that will change.  I love me some Becton and Carter looks promising, and they most likely will play for years to come.  Whereas all the DBs we got have talent.  Desir was great in 2018 and has to prove it this year, Davis is one of the best pure athletes in the entire draft, Hall was considered one of the best lockdown corners in college football until his injury, and let’s not forget Lamar Jackson.  I think more of our new DBs are going to produce more than the new OL.  If anything it is six of one half dozen of another.

I hear you.  But I'm just looking at the word "upgrade" and thinking of the performance in 2019.  The secondary did okay. The guys we signed and drafted are hopefully an upgrade.  But the OL was the league's worst. So in comparing 2019 to 2020 I feel the upgrade there is bigger.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I hear you.  But I'm just looking at the word "upgrade" and thinking of the performance in 2019.  The secondary did okay. The guys we signed and drafted are hopefully an upgrade.  But the OL was the league's worst. So in comparing 2019 to 2020 I feel the upgrade there is bigger.

Good point.  OL has a much longer way to go!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jetster said:

QW getting even just a bit better, no one is consistently running on the Jets. I expect Shepard, Foley & Phillips to be even better

people make this assumption...   that players just get better and better...  Bilal Powell eg is teh same player he ever was....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2020 at 6:31 PM, Bungaman said:

Put this together with the upgrades to the edge (the guy from Baltimore and our draft pick from FL,) and our best ILB's coming back from injury, I expect a top ten D this season. No less. And we didn't even need to draft a DL!! ;) 

Jamal was only out for a couple games dude.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Left Outside Safety --------------------------- Right Outside Safety

---------------------Middle Strong Safety--------------------------

Cornerback ----------------------------------------------Cornerback

Left Outside Linebacker-----------------Right Outside Linebacker

D-End ------------- D-Tackle --------- D-Tackle ----------- D-End

 

Do we actually have two D ends on this roster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Left Outside Safety --------------------------- Right Outside Safety

---------------------Middle Strong Safety--------------------------

Cornerback ----------------------------------------------Cornerback

Left Outside Linebacker-----------------Right Outside Linebacker

D-End ------------- D-Tackle --------- D-Tackle ----------- D-End

 

So....... you’re putting CJ Mosely on the bench?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

So....... you’re putting CJ Mosely on the bench?

People sure love the idea of the Jets shifting to a 4-3, 4-2-5, or whatever other creative fronts as our base package.  And those will indeed be fun looks for a few snaps a game.  But the reality is our best defensive player is a 3-4 ILB who makes $17.5M per season. 

This is a 3-4 defense until the moment Mosley comes off the roster.

DL:  QW, McLendon, Anderson

OLB/EDGE:  Jenkins, Zuniga/Huff

ILB:  Mosley, Adams

CB:  Desir, Austin

FS:  Davis

SS:  Maye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CurtMart said:

The impact Mosley will have on this D is highly underrated. He’s going to be all over the field making plays after plays when healthy. 

Super bowl!

 

 

 

i mean tecmo bowl!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

So....... you’re putting CJ Mosely on the bench?

I'm not putting anyone anywhere, i was having a lol trying to sort out what a 3-Safety Defense would look like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2020 at 6:26 PM, peekskill68 said:

The OL got upgraded more than the secondary...

PFF pretty much took a dump on our OL additions during free agency. They also had Becton rated pretty low. Still don't think they are huge fans of our OL honestly lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Content Partnership

Yes Network

Site Sponsor

MILE-Social - NJ Social Media & SEO company
×
×
  • Create New...