Did anyone see Orlovsky on Get Up this morning?

13 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Over the top, but his basic premise that Darnold's supporting cast has been abysmal is absolutely correct. To put it succinctly, Darnold has had a bottom 3 offensive line and bottom 3-5 WR corps since he has been a Jet (I'd be curious to know if anyone on this board would seriously argue with the bolded). Putting his performance in that context, I think it makes a lot of sense to be excited about Darnold's future. 

Capture.jpg

Preach it, brother.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

Darnold isn't even close to the most ridiculous selection on that list.

These ESPN talk-shows are a god damn cancer. The guys don't believe 10% of the sh*t they say. Just a bunch of provocateurs trying to say the most controversial things they can to get people to tune in. Sad to see genuinely knowledgeable dudes like Max Kellerman reduce themselves to this sh*t as well. 

Agree with everything Dan said in his piece... Sam has done more with all the crap this team (was)...  If the OL performs anywhere near the top 1/3 in the NFL this year, then I EXPECT Sam to up his game. I've been very impressed with his ability to read the defense, not key on one target, and to scramble for his life while having a very accurate pass while on the run. Some of the throws he makes under duress are a thing of beauty. Yes he also has thrown up a fair amount of stupid throws as well under duress. If he's got a few more seconds to process this year then he should be even better than he already is. What I won't stand for is if he has more time and doesn't use good footwork, then I'll be upset at the coaches for not drilling it into his head. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Darnold isn't even close to the most ridiculous selection on that list.

These ESPN talk-shows are a god damn cancer. The guys don't believe 10% of the sh*t they say. Just a bunch of provocateurs trying to say the most controversial things they can to get people to tune in. Sad to see genuinely knowledgeable dudes like Max Kellerman reduce themselves to this sh*t as well. 

Outside of his boxing analysis, Kellerman is garbage.

Kellerman/Smith and Skip/Shannon are the worst of the worst when it comes to these sports talk shows.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Outside of his boxing analysis, Kellerman is garbage.

Kellerman/Smith and Skip/Shannon are the worst of the worst when it comes to these sports talk shows.

That's what I mean - He was a great boxing analyst and now he's just joining in this grift. He was saying the other day that Carson Wentz should demand a trade, like ffs no way even he believes that bullsh*t.

It was Skip who started it all. He got the reactions and people kept tuning in for more. Since then they're all trying to emulate him. 

They give the game away when there's any sort of serious implications to their position - Suddenly they'll all agree when it's a real issue but when it's a debate about a team or athlete they take opposite positions for the sake of it. Trash. 

• Upvote 1

Reality is that looked at over a 12-15 year period he is likely very right. Most people will just look at last year and say that it is completely insane.  Some people will just look at Sam's numbers and think that he sucks and refuse to allow for any context.  Brady was behind a Top 10 OLs last year but with a diminished receiving corps and he was only slightly ahead of Darnold in QB rating, when Darnold was playing behind a bottom 3 OL (really the worst, Sam made them look better than they were) with exceedingly limited weapons, and was also in the Top 5 of all QBs when given time in the pocket. Reality is that Sam just does things that none of the other prospects over last 3 years can do. Orlovsky is correct that Sam and Joe are very similar but Sam just has a better arm. We have seen the Lamar Jackson show before. RGIII, Kapernick, Newton all looked unstoppable in similar systems but 2 things happened: 1. Defenses figured out how to neutralize them 2. Getting constantly hit made them break down (RGIII and Newton). Jackson has already been hit over 300 times in 2 years. His body long term will not hold up. Long term Sam is the best QB prospect over the last 3 years.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Daddy Wang Doodle said:

Darnold needs to get better. The talent around him was bad and needs to get better.

Both of these are true.

Making it a solely one or the other is disingenuous. Everyone would agree with the statements above, it's just a matter of which you're more inclined to lean towards that ultimately shapes your opinion

He needs to get better if we hope he becomes an elite level QB. This idea that he isn’t already good to very good is asinine. He elevated his team to respectability when they should have been the worst team in the NFL. The statistical conversation is so absurd, it includes the New England game- the greatest statistical outlier in NFL history. Sam Darnold could regress tenfold and never have a game that statistically bad again. It’s the equivalent of a player having a 7 sack game, ending up with 12 sacks and suddenly being considered an elite pass rusher. Context is everything, most of the world is too stupid to understand that. They have zero attention spans, demand instant gratification, surface level results, everything is binary, **** the world.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, PS17 said:

I like Orlovsky as an analyst. Pretty sure Get Up is designed to be “hot take”-y like First Take has always been but he clearly understands the QB position and football at large if you’ve heard his takes. 

QB analysis?  Yes, he's pretty good.

Spatial awareness?  Not so good.

tumblr_nw2u0sVnfT1rvn2ylo1_400.gifv

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2