Jets close to signing Logan Ryan?

16 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

If this is true, I would much rather they didn't use their last draft pick on a trade for a CB with the Colts. We could have my boy Kenny Willkas right now for Petes sake if this was the plan.  lol

I think we did a pretty good job addressing CB this offseason already and don't know if I'd want to sign LR for $10 mil at this point. Poole, Desir, Wilson, Hall and Lamar Jackson added to Bless Austin and Maulette seems like a pretty good group. I'd rather see the young guys get a shot at more playing time than giving LR the time on some one year deal or something.

Hell, we even got Javelin Guidry as an UDFA. He runs a 4.28 40 and could have a real shot to back up the slot. He seems like a good developmental player and could make Poole's 1 year deal a prophetic signing if all goes well. 

I'd rather spend 10-15M on Clowney since we haven't had a pass rush since Jesus was a baby.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Did we sign him yet?

Not sure if it’s happening after JD drafted Bryce Hall and Ashtyn Davis. They were talking before the draft. I haven’t heard anything in a week since Mehta threw this out there. 

12 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I'd rather spend 10-15M on Clowney since we haven't had a pass rush since Jesus was a baby.

I know I was alive when John Abraham was drafted, but it still feels like an eternity. Amazing that 15 years have passed since the Jets nailed an edge rusher in the draft. 

18 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

If this is true, I would much rather they didn't use their last draft pick on a trade for a CB with the Colts.

For the most part I just view that trade as a pick.  We added a 23-year old CB who will benefit from a change in systems.  I don't think that trade should have any influence on any additional moves we make at the position. 

Ryan will be our CB1 or starting FS if we add him.  The CB we traded for will be competing for a CB5/CB6 job.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

Do we even need him anymore? There seems to be a ton of young competition for those secondary spots

No matter how good the corners are that have been added this offseason, it would be nice to have a veteran to handle CB1 duties.  And no, this wouldn't be a Trumaine Johnson situation....

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JetFan20 said:

I don’t like Ryan for this team. If you sign him he’s the unquestioned starter opposite of Desir. I like the battle of unproven guys (Austin, Wilson, Maulet, Hairston, Hall) over older vets at CB. 

Injuries and demotions happen.  Just because Logan Ryan and Desir might open as the starting CB duo doesn't mean that's how it will finish.  

Add talent, ask questions later.  If we have "too many" quality corners that's a good problem to have, considering no one in the league can say that.

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, slimjasi said:

If they signed Ryan, I would actually feel pretty comfortable with their corners headed into the season. 

Not only that, but pass rush improves through better coverage.  It's muy simpatico.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UnknownJetFan said:

I don;'t see Clowney coming for $10 mil, but I get the point.  I think Ryan is going to be at least $5 mil cheaper and that may have a lot of sway in the Douglas era. I don't think Clowney is really made up of the type of Character JD is looking for either. Not saying he wont try and get Clowney, but I haven't really seen too much legit Jets interest other than the occasional mention that we are sniffing around. 

I thought the Logan Ryan stuff was fuel for the idea that Jamal Adams was getting traded with LR moving to safety. But who knows? He's a quality player and that's what we're in the market for so it could happen. I will say that Id rather just sign Markus Golden for $6 mil than Clowney for $18 mil  though. 

8 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

Chiefs used the fifth year option on Mahomes and are supposedly working on a contract that’s supposed to cross $200 million dollars, so Dallas needs to move on Dak’s deal with the quickness before the market goes nuclear. Here’s how I see it:

1. Dak re-signs, dropping that cap number to around $25 mil per.

2. Jets trade Jamal Adams to Cowboys for Tyrone Crawford (salary dump), Michael Gallup, 2021 first rounder, 2021 third rounder. A lot coming back from Dallas, bit the extra third is the vig for taking Crawford off their hands. 

3. Jets sign Logan Ryan to two year, $16,000,000 deal. Ryan, Maye, Davis are your safeties. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For the most part I just view that trade as a pick.  We added a 23-year old CB who will benefit from a change in systems.  I don't think that trade should have any influence on any additional moves we make at the position. 

Ryan will be our CB1 or starting FS if we add him.  The CB we traded for will be competing for a CB5/CB6 job.  

I don't disagree. Well I doubt he would take Maye's job but otherwise I do.  I'm just saying that I really wanted Kenny Willekas or Donovan Peoples-Jones at 211. More than Quincy Wilson anyway.  But I get the mentality behind it. It's just one of those deals where the Colts had a slew of players who fit a system. They altered the system and all of the sudden guys who were looking solid fell off a cliff. Desir falls into that category as well.  I question the wisdom of making such a large change outside of the strengths of the players I have on the roster but that's another story. 

I like the thought process behind flipping a late 6th rd pick for a 23 yr old guy with 3 years of NFL experience.  But man would Willekas be a great addition to this squad. MVP of the team twice after being a walk on.  Gotta love guys like that. 

11 hours ago, Prez33 said:

You guys are a lot more optimistic about Arthur Maulet and Nate Hairston than me. 

The quantity approach is a risky bet. Granted, I liked what I saw from Bless Austin in limited action. But handing him the keys to the car against AFC East WR’s is potentially a disaster. We have a lot of “yeah, that should be ok” at CB right now. Logan Ryan is better than everybody on our CB roster. Seems like an easy decision to me. 

Didn't they jus trade for Quincy Wilson?  Desir, Wilson, Austin,  Maulet, Hall, Jackson , Guidry,  Jackson....  plus Davis.  If we are going to sign anyone it should be another edge or pass rusher.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

Considering that we have considerable untapped potential at CB, would it be better to invest on a pass rusher, say Clowney?

Both.  But not Clowney.  Give me Logan Ryan and either Everson Griffen or Markus Golden.  

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Didn't they jus trade for Quincy Wilson?  Desir, Wilson, Austin,  Maulet, Hall, Jackson , Guidry,  Jackson....  plus Davis.  If we are going to sign anyone it should be another edge or pass rusher.  

That’s a lot of JAGS and UDFA’s. 

Quincy Wilson was a 2nd round pick who struggled in Indy. One might even use the dreaded “B” word. He’s on a 2nd chance to turn it around with us. 

Desir has been up and down in recent years. Sometimes he’s played well, other times he’s struggled. 

I am not fully confident in this unit, even if there are 20 of them. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I don't see Logan Ryan happening after the draft. I don't want Clowney. Big name, bigger pay day, production isn't that big though.

Clowney is not a JD type signing for that exact reason. He simply wants more than he’s worth. Mac, on the other hand, would be all over Clowney like white on rice. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Prez33 said:

I know I was alive when John Abraham was drafted, but it still feels like an eternity. Amazing that 15 years have passed since the Jets nailed an edge rusher in the draft. 

I remember how much he was reviled too for missing the Pittsburgh game. Hilarious how everyone thought oh wow we have Bryan Thomas to replace him... lol. Bryan Thomas. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Seriously? Adding an Desir, Davis and an injured Hall make them one of the most improved? Seems like a suspect conclusion.

I guess it’s a pretty big Improvement over tru and roberts, not saying much but still.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Both.  But not Clowney.  Give me Logan Ryan and either Everson Griffen or Markus Golden.  

So don’t sign the really good player, instead sign the guy with the outlier contract year and the guy with the most unblocked sacks in the league who sucks against the run?

I have nothing against Everson Griffin, I think he’s a good player even though he’s like actual mental illness. 

13 hours ago, Maxman said:

They have a cb1. Bless is cb2. I'd be shocked if they sign Ryan.

Who, Desir?  I don't trust him as a CB1.  

I wouldn't be shocked at all.  The rumors were strong with our interest in him pre-draft.  And even if you don't like him as a CB1, he has the alternative option of being our starting FS.  

12 hours ago, kdels62 said:

So don’t sign the really good player, instead sign the guy with the outlier contract year and the guy with the most unblocked sacks in the league who sucks against the run?

I have nothing against Everson Griffin, I think he’s a good player even though he’s like actual mental illness. 

I don't care if they suck against the run.  Pure pass rushers are what the team needs.  

Clowney may be a "really good player", but he's not worth $15M+, even on just a 1-year deal.  If he's willing to come down significantly on his asking price, sure.