Would you trade..

12 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

14 was a minimum. I'm sure juju will sell himself at a higher number.

Either way, it's more sensible to draft good rookies and reap the rewards of quality production at low cost.

Get a good scouting department and look for good WRs. The Rams aren't gonna pay Cooper kupp, but they already drafted his replacement in Van jefferson. they sent a 1200 yard receiver in brandin cooks to Houston without a 2nd thought because they had a cheap replacement lined up in josh reynolds, who'll probably be a cheap renewal.

If your team is in transition and re-building, which the Jets currently are, I like that approach a lot better.

the big contracts for WR/RB make sense only if you are a SB contender, and in 'win-now' mode. the jets aren't the 2018 rams, we don't have a playoff calibre team that is one or 2 players away from contending. we can't afford $14 million on a luxury position when D-line and o-line are mediocre.

But most aren't paying them the big money. KC is getting elite QB play for peanuts. When Mahomes gets his blockbuster deal, that roster is getting re-built. because there's only so much money to go around.

So its $14-$18 mil.  Its what star WRs earn.  What are we so loaded with WR talent we can snub our noses to what they make and just continue to struggle with bottom of the league offenses to make a point? 

Its more sensible to draft stars to every position and then dump them before their 2nd contracts, draft their replacements, rinse and repeat.  

Except it doesn't work that way.  Are you saying you hope Mims became s real number on threat and then we'll just dump him to the curb if he wants $14 per or more?  Good luck with that and the dream that a drafted WR will just step in the shoes of a top of the league WR and the team won't miss a step.  Doesnt always work out that way.  And Cooper Kupp had one decent year, is not a JuJu Smith Shuster. 

23 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Its more sensible to draft stars to every position and then dump them before their 2nd contracts, draft their replacements, rinse and repeat.  

Except it doesn't work that way.  Are you saying you hope Mims became s real number on threat and then we'll just dump him to the curb if he wants $14 per or more?  Good luck with that and the dream that a drafted WR will just step in the shoes of a top of the league WR and the team won't miss a step.  Doesnt always work out that way.  And Cooper Kupp had one decent year, is not a JuJu Smith Shuster. 

It works out that way, IF and only IF you have an elite QB. Which i believe Darnold could become.

Its what i said in an another thread; the QB makes the WR. If darnold becomes an elite QB, he can win with decent WRs. Broncos replaced decker with sanders and didn't miss a beat. Chargers replaced vincent jackson with keenan allen. Brady didn't miss a beat when he lost Welker and replaced him with edelman, amendola and vereen. Why are the steelers reluctant to pay juju?

It doesn't have to be a rookie WR, it could be another free agent like Perriman. you could get a veteran on a team-friendly deal. Remember when we got Eric decker for under 8 million? you always have those options.

All I'm saying is, you can't pay WR when some of your more important position groups, like o-line and d-line are mediocre. I see WRs and RBs as a luxury, I don't value them very highly.

Juju smith schuster also had one decent year, btw.

31 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

It works out that way, IF and only IF you have an elite QB. Which i believe Darnold could become.

Its what i said in an another thread; the QB makes the WR. If darnold becomes an elite QB, he can win with decent WRs. Broncos replaced decker with sanders and didn't miss a beat. Chargers replaced vincent jackson with keenan allen. Brady didn't miss a beat when he lost Welker and replaced him with edelman, amendola and vereen. Why are the steelers reluctant to pay juju?

It doesn't have to be a rookie WR, it could be another free agent like Perriman. you could get a veteran on a team-friendly deal. Remember when we got Eric decker for under 8 million? you always have those options.

All I'm saying is, you can't pay WR when some of your more important position groups, like o-line and d-line are mediocre. I see WRs and RBs as a luxury, I don't value them very highly.

Juju smith schuster also had one decent year, btw.

I dont agree that a QB can make any WR good.  He can help the WR put up gaudy numbers but that's where it ends.  

I remember that when we signed Decker everyone said that Decker was a product of Manning.  Then he came here and put up similar number with Fitzpatrick as he did with Manning.  So who makes who?  

Sanders was already on the Broncos, had 1400 yards in 2014, his numbers went down after Decker left.

Youre underestimating how important a good, top WR is to an offense

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

You do realize smith played on a bad knee most of the year and had a concussion to deal with?

So Juju is injury prone on top of not being good without an all pro wideout lined up opposite of him?

Where do I sign up for this?

2 hours ago, Il Mostro said:

Co-sign.  Really good #2 receiver when he plays alongside a strong #1.  Trade proposal is too rich.

For a middle round pick.  But holy cow the man crush people have on this guy you would think he was Marvin Harrison 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If the argument is you need to pay for WR, then IMO Robbie Anderson + 2nd round pick > JuJu Smith-Schuster.

Its the same discussion we have for running backs.

Is Christian mccaffrey worth 16 million a year?

On performance alone, he probably is.

But would you rather have CMC @ 16 or Mostert, breida and coleman @ less than half that amount?

San fran got 2000+ yards out of their 3-man committee, and reached the superbowl.

RB and WR will always be luxury items. We already have one luxury in Bell, we don't need another.

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Its the same discussion we have for running backs.

Is Christian mccaffrey worth 16 million a year?

On performance alone, he probably is.

But would you rather have CMC @ 16 or Mostert, breida and coleman @ less than half that amount?

San fran got 2000+ yards out of their 3-man committee, and reached the superbowl.

RB and WR will always be luxury items. We already have one luxury in Bell, we don't need another.

I am actually more concerned with the picks than the money.  Picks are how you get cheap talent.  If you spend your money, you need cheap talent.  Money is for FAs and keeping yours.  Giving up draft picks for the privilege requires the guy to be super awesome or a perfect fit.  Smith-Schuster is neither IMO.  My feeling about coughing up some cash for him in 2021 might  be different.

• Upvote 2

I'd take that deal in a heartbeat. He's a great receiver who's still incredibly young. 

Darnold and the offense need weapons. I think we're a star receiver away from putting together a Good Offense. JuJu and him were college teammates, and the guy put up 1400 yards at 22 with AB to compete with in terms of targets. 

I'm not the biggest on trading picks, but you'd hope to get a guy like him with your 2nd round pick. Also take into account that our rival (Buffalo) just picked up Diggs for more than that. Diggs is also much older than JuJu, and has never put up the single season yardage that he has.

@Philc1, your argument isn’t good enough.  The year before juju came into the league, the Steelers leading receiver was Eli Rogers.  He had 594 yds.  Juju had almost double that his rookie year, same team, same offense.

@Adoni Beast at some point, money has to be put into the WR position.  Everyone loved Robbie (not me) and the team still didn’t invest in him.  Juju is MUCH better than Robbie, so yes, I’d invest 15-16M in him.  Sam can’t keep throwing to guys like Vyncent Smith, Josh Bellamy and Braxton Berrios and us to expect him and the offense to make strides.  Juju, Mims, Crowder, Perriman and Herndon would give him a solid group of pass catchers - sprinkle in Bell and that’s a good offense.

Adding him would mean we have two #2’s (Ju Ju and Perriman), a #3 (Crowder), and a developmental #4 at this point (Mims- who’s gonna need time in 2020 to develop his route tree). 

What’s missing? A true #1.  No way JD gives up a 2 round pick for a #2 receiver. GM’s value those high picks way more than fans, who throw draft picks around like candy corn. 

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Adding him would mean we have two #2’s (Ju Ju and Perriman), a #3 (Crowder), and a developmental #4 at this point (Mims- who’s gonna need time in 2020 to develop his route tree). 

What’s missing? A true #1.  No way JD gives up a 2 round pick for a #2 receiver. GM’s value those high picks way more than fans, who throw draft picks around like candy corn. 

So continue to suffer with little to nothing at WR?

On second thought, I’ll have to agree with those that are arguing against trading high draft picks for a WR. If Darnold blows up, we have to pay him soon. With Jamal’s contract coming soon as well, we will need those cheap players to keep the party rocking. Let’s not repeat the Rams debacle. Wait to see who gets cut. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Gastineau Lives said:

The way people overvalue draft picks is a ****n mazing to me.

Well this yrs 2nd and 5th got us Mims and Hall so... Yeah...  I'd say that picks have some Value. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Well this yrs 2nd and 5th got us Mims and Hall so... Yeah...  I'd say that picks have some Value. 

And the Leo trade gave us added flexibility so we could grab back to back defensive players in the 3rd round.  

I don't think anyone will end up thinking the Giants got the better end of that deal.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Philc1 said:

So Juju is injury prone on top of not being good without an all pro wideout lined up opposite of him?

Where do I sign up for this?

And youre flailing, sound doubly dumb now

7 hours ago, Prez33 said:

Ju Ju is 1 #1, who knows what Perriman really is...

18 hours ago, heymangold said:

I love when guys downplay receivers like this.  Trading for juju would bring a receiver here that is probably the best the jets have had since the braylon edwards, santonio holmes days.  
This team doesn’t ever have talent the likes of juju, everyone seems fine with a good slot guy and middling talents like robbie anderson and breshad perriman.   Look at the bills, they made moves.  The Eagles, they made moves. The cardinals, they made moves.  The Broncos draft 2 highly regarded WRs to go with their already good WR in courtland sutton. Time to surround darnold with some weapons and see what he can do.

Brandon  Marshall was a Jet

4 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Also got us Hackenberg, Alex Van Dyke, Stephen Hill, Jace Amaro. I'm going to go on a limb and assume my list is longer than yours. 

We could be fans of any team in the NFL and my list will always be longer than yours.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And the Leo trade gave us added flexibility so we could grab back to back defensive players in the 3rd round.  

I don't think anyone will end up thinking the Giants got the better end of that deal.

Unless Leo comes out and has an 8 sack+ season.  But I doubt that. We will be seeing a lot to do about pressures and hurries and the like. 

1 hour ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Also got us Hackenberg, Alex Van Dyke, Stephen Hill, Jace Amaro. I'm going to go on a limb and assume my list is longer than yours. 

We could be fans of any team in the NFL and my list will always be longer than yours.

Hey!  My wife says the size of my list doesn't matter. 

Outlining the Jets failures wont remove the value of draft picks. We could do the same thing with FA signings. The Jets have just sucked at team building for a long time. We could do this with the Ravens or Steelers draft picks and we will be telling a different story. 

16 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Hey!  My wife says the size of my list doesn't matter. 

Outlining the Jets failures wont remove the value of draft picks. We could do the same thing with FA signings. The Jets have just sucked at team building for a long time. We could do this with the Ravens or Steelers draft picks and we will be telling a different story. 

You mean like Ju ju?

On 4/30/2020 at 6:29 AM, JiF said:

Yes, I would.  Built in chemistry with Sam, hit the ground running the second he gets here.  Sam gets to grow and build with a former college teammate and Mims.  WIth Crowder/Perriman the RB's who can catch and the TE's?

For a 2nd RD pick, your offense is legitimately set with a few tweaks here and there in the future. 

So yeah, I would. 

Yeah count me in on JuJu.  Last year he was dealing with injuries including mediocre QB play, he is a good player that still can become a great player given his age.