Cimini re: Quincy Wilson

AFJF

Just listened to Cimini’s podcast and he said he wasn’t a fan of the Wilson trade after talking to personnel guys.

In a nutshell he said he was told the guy just isn’t a very good player and there are concerns about his work ethic/attitude.

Time will tell, but a WR at 211 was the way to go IMO.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

Yeah, I wasn't sure about the trade either. Wilson was likely to be cut after the draft if he wasn't traded.

I understand getting a jump ahead of him being cut if you like him, which the Jets clearly do, but I would have preferred a 6th for Wilson plus a lower 6th or 7th type of deal.

Time will tell, but this definitely wasn't the draft move I liked the best.

7 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

The risk for Wilson at 23 isn’t any different for any other 6th or 7th rd pick. He very highly thought off till he ran his 40 4.54 . And that caused his draft slide to the 2nd rd.. just put him in press coverage he will prove his worth.. 

True, but with close to zero at the WR position in terms of proven talent, a receiver would've made more sense there IMO.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

True, but with close to zero at the WR position in terms of proven talent, a receiver would've made more sense there IMO.

I banged the table for DPJ from pick 79 till 211 so I feel you. But im not bothered the move . You took a shot at position of need it is what it is.  If Wilson hits you won’t even think about that 6th rd pick . If he doesn’t hits your still not gonna think about that 6th rd pick lol 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

I banged the table for DPJ from pick 79 till 211 so I feel you. But im not bothered the move . You took a shot at position of need it is what it is.  If Wilson hits you won’t even think about that 6th rd pick . If he doesn’t hits your still not gonna think about that 6th rd pick lol 

Yeah, I'm not super upset about it, but my first thought when they made the deal was "how good can he be if he plays a premium position and Indy basically gave him away"?

Hope they struck gold, but the 1 WR thing was a head scratcher to me.

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

40 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think this was a comp pick play. 

You don’t get comp pick if the player signs a minimum salary contract. And if Wilson is as bad as advertised, no one will pay more than min next year. Shot in the dark but that’s what most 6th rounders are anyways. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Sorry.  I am goiing to trust Rex Hogan's opinion over Cimini's.

To be fair, he was repeating what he was told about him by other executives.  I don't think Cimini is looking for any personal gain by saying he's heard a guy insn't good and has poor practice habits.   Getting him for pick 211 kinda confirms the suggestion that he's not very good.  At least as far as Indy is concerned.

Hopefully the people he spoke to are wrong.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes, I'm sure the 211th overall pick is really somethign we'll be looking back at in a few years like, how on earth did we trade away the chance "insert obligatory name that is out of the league in 3 years" in hopes that a former 2nd RD CB revitalized his career with the Jets.

Probably the decision that will cost JD his job, when you really think about it.  Those 200 range guys, lots of hidden talent in that range to sacrifice that for a former 2nd round pick? 

SHAME!!!!!!!!

But the team that had him as an NFL player for 3 years was happy to take the 211th pick that you're mocking for its lack of value.  

Kinda' shows why some of us are questioning it.  Why not use the pick on a guy who nobody has worked with in the NFL and wants to throw away as a result?

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, JetFan20 said:

The same team traded the Jets Henry Anderson for a 7th round pick. Henry turned out to be one of the best defensive players on the roster in 2018.

Perhaps the Jets think they can get a good season from him on a contract year. 

How would you rate the positional value of an interior D-lineman vs Cornerback?

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

But the team that had him as an NFL player for 3 years was happy to take the 211th pick that you're mocking for its lack of value.  

Kinda' shows why some of us are questioning it.  Why not use the pick on a guy who nobody has worked with in the NFL and wants to throw away as a result?

My assumption is Rex Hogan has a different opinion of Wilson than Cimini's "sources".  Pretty clear JD values Rex's opinion of the talent that comes from the Colts, so I think he probably weighed out his options ie; take a guy at 211 that has a 5% chance staying in the league past 2 years or trade that pick for a former 2nd rounder who maybe just needs a change of scenery and has showed promise at times when given the opportunity/healthy.   He's a 6'2 corner who can play man press.  There is talent in there, probably 50x more than a 6th round pick, maybe JD/Hogan feel Williams can bring it out in him.  

And fwiw, what I've read on him is that he had very strong 2018 campaign and felt he was trending to justifying the pick only to lose favor over other CB's as he battled injury and some other guys started stepping up. 

From a Gators perspective, Wilson/Tabor might be the best combo of corners they've rolled out since Haden/Jenkins - just clearly these dudes werent in that class of talent as Haden/Jenkins but it wouldnt shock me if a change of scenery did him good. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

My assumption is Rex Hogan has a different opinion of Wilson than Cimini's "sources".  Pretty clear JD values Rex's opinion of the talent that comes from the Colts, so I think he probably weighed out his options ie; take a guy at 211 that has a 5% chance staying in the league past 2 years or trade that pick for a former 2nd rounder who maybe just needs a change of scenery and has showed promise at times when given the opportunity/healthy.   He's a 6'2 corner who can play man press.  There is talent in there, probably 50x more than a 6th round pick, maybe JD/Hogan feel Williams can bring it out in him.  

And fwiw, what I've read on him is that he had very strong 2018 campaign and felt he was trending to justifying the pick only to lose favor over other CB's as he battled injury and some other guys started stepping up. 

From a Gators perspective, Wilson/Tabor might be the best combo of corners they've rolled out since Haden/Jenkins - just clearly these dudes werent in that class of talent as Haden/Jenkins but it wouldnt shock me if a change of scenery did him good. 

I wouldn't dispute any of that.  All valid points.  But as others have said since the trade, teams don't give starting cornerbacks away.  In this case, I hope this deal leads to Indy being laughed at in a few years.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I wouldn't dispute any of that.  All valid points.  But as others have said since the trade, teams don't give starting cornerbacks away.  In this case, I hope this deal leads to Indy being laughed at in a few years.

Sure but he wasnt a starter for the Colts so they thought he was expendable.  Ironically one of the guys that started taking snaps away from him was Desire.  IDK - I'm not guaranteeing anything here, Im just saying I totally can follow the logic.  I dont think the Jets traded him with intentions that he's a D1 starter, it's probably more so, he's on a contract year, lets see if he can earn himself a spot in the line up and a chance at a 2nd contract and the likelihood of  Wilson figuring it out under new tutelage is probably higher than hitting at 211.  

Assumptions here but if that was the thought process, it's pretty sound from my perspective. 

59 minutes ago, AFJF said:

To be fair, he was repeating what he was told about him by other executives.  I don't think Cimini is looking for any personal gain by saying he's heard a guy insn't good and has poor practice habits.   Getting him for pick 211 kinda confirms the suggestion that he's not very good.  At least as far as Indy is concerned.

Hopefully the people he spoke to are wrong.

I have always respected Cimini's print background but the tone of his tweets with stuff like this has always bugged me.  I get the feeling he enjoy some secret pleasure for being as dispassionate as possible with Jets fans.  Similar to a depressed office clerk who enjoys mentioning as much negative small talk to pas their demeanor onto to you.  Again.  I don't follow his show and have always tried to stay away from his articles.  But he's been on this news beat a long time and we all know it ain't exactly as prestigious as covering the '61 Yankees.  Cimini probably isn't after any personal gain.  But he sure loves telling us how bad the weather is.

Of course.  It's just an observation.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Sure but he wasnt a starter for the Colts so they thought he was expendable.  Ironically one of the guys that started taking snaps away from him was Desire.  IDK - I'm not guaranteeing anything here, Im just saying I totally can follow the logic.  I dont think the Jets traded him with intentions that he's a D1 starter, it's probably more so, he's on a contract year, lets see if he can earn himself a spot in the line up and a chance at a 2nd contract and the likelihood of  Wilson figuring it out under new tutelage is probably higher than hitting at 211.  

Assumptions here but if that was the thought process, it's pretty sound from my perspective. 

I said as much on the JN podcast the other day.  There's just as good a chance (if not better) that Wilson will be a better option thatn the pick at 211.  However, looking at the value of a good CB, which is certainly higher than pick 211, and Cimini claiming there are character isses, I figured it was worth sharing/discussing.

Reasons for optimism, but also some red flags.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Time will tell, but a WR at 211 was the way to go IMO.

At the time of the pick, I was in the draft thread saying, "this is the time to grab the WR you like who you think you won't be able to sign as a UDFA and be done with it," so I get your sentiment. But that's also the talent level you're looking at with pick #211. The time to take another WR was in the third/fourth rounds where they had five picks. 

That late, I'm not gonna sweat it. If Wilson has a good year the Jets either resign him or he becomes a part of the comp pick equation. If he doesn't, it was pick #211. It's not like the CB position didn't need help, too. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, slats said:

At the time of the pick, I was in the draft thread saying, "this is the time to grab the WR you like who you think you won't be able to sign as a UDFA and be done with it," so I get your sentiment. But that's also the talent level you're looking at with pick #211. The time to take another WR was in the third/fourth rounds where they had five picks. 

That late, I'm not gonna sweat it. If Wilson has a good year the Jets either resign him or he becomes a part of the comp pick equation. If he doesn't, it was pick #211. It's not like the CB position didn't need help, too. 

they got their UDFA without drafting him: Cager.  They interviewed him twice and I knew they were going to get him one way or the other.  Might have had it set up the UDFA deal already in the event he went undrafted, so that could be the reason for the WIlson trade.

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, slats said:

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

they got their UDFA without drafting him: Cager.  They interviewed him twice and I knew they were going to get him one way or the other.  Might have had it set up the UDFA deal already in the event he went undrafted, so that could be the reason for the WIlson trade.

That's the other part of the equation; they clearly thought Cager and Campbell were draft worthy talent who just didnt get picked because they swooped in pretty quick to make those 2 part of the team.  They probably had Cager ranked over anyone left in the draft at that time.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

All very true.   People need to look at all the moves JD has made regarding the secondary as a whole.  There seems to be a plan in place.  He’s bringing in long, tall corners who’s strengths appear to be in press man.  Then he drafts the best free safety in the draft that can cover a lot of ground in the back end of the defense.  It appears that Greg Williams wants to play a lot of press man with the CBs and have Davis and Maye over the top, keep Adams in the same role as last season roving around the LOS.   

if you look at OL, defensive secondary in particular you see the totality and strategy of the moves douglas has made this offseason.

regarding wr, it's more interesting, and the lone selection of mims and the swap of perriman for anderson suggests they are VERY particular about the types of athletes they are willing to pay for.  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Dcat said:

That's very likely. They start making those calls around the sixth round. The "priority" guys actually get a little better money than the last picks of the draft. 

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

The "they only took 1 WR!" crew is getting weird now. 

Not really.  When it's one of the most glaring needs on your roster and there are starting caliber players sitting there in almost every round, the expectation should be multiple WR's.  Prominent analsyts and beat writers have all been asking the same question.  May not matter in the end, but it reminds me of Maccagnan not taking any CB's a few years ago in a very deep class when the Jets had a huge need at the position.