Cimini re: Quincy Wilson

AFJF

Wilson probably sucks, but maybe he will improve in a GW system that would appear to be a better fit for his skill set. I understand people wanting to take a WR in round 6, but the likelihood that there is a WR that was selected in the 6th round that was going to make an impact on the team is low. Most 6th round WRs end up getting cut in their first training camp. We trade a very low pick for a guy who will be on the roster, barring injury, and provide depth at a need position. This isn't the thing to be getting upset about...

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Not if the guy sucks and isn’t signed to a big contract.  

He doesn't have to sign a huge deal to be part of the equation. As long as he counts as a free agent lost, he could lead to a comp pick as long as the Jets lose more free agents than they sign next year. They have a lot of one year deals on the roster, and they could be playing that game this year. 

• Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Not really.  When it's one of the most glaring needs on your roster and there are starting caliber players sitting there in almost every round, the expectation should be multiple WR's.  Prominent analsyts and beat writers have all been asking the same question.  May not matter in the end, but it reminds me of Maccagnan not taking any CB's a few years ago in a very deep class when the Jets had a huge need at the position.

Eh...I don't get all the whining. 

The Jets got a steal with Mims in the 2nd round and had a really solid draft all around that checked a lot of boxes for long-term needs that have been ignored for far too long. By all accounts, they got one of the best receivers in the draft, so this is nothing like the Mac draft you mentioned. JD already has managed to build a stable of young guys like Berrios, Smith, and made WR a priority in the UDFA group. I appreciate him taking a swing at another corner who has the potential to be a starter as opposed to a redundancy.

For the first time in years, I actually see the logic behind each pick so I can't split hairs over how JD used this very late 6th rounder. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

23 minutes ago, slats said:

At the time of the pick, I was in the draft thread saying, "this is the time to grab the WR you like who you think you won't be able to sign as a UDFA and be done with it," so I get your sentiment. But that's also the talent level you're looking at with pick #211. The time to take another WR was in the third/fourth rounds where they had five picks. 

That late, I'm not gonna sweat it. If Wilson has a good year the Jets either resign him or he becomes a part of the comp pick equation. If he doesn't, it was pick #211. It's not like the CB position didn't need help, too. 

Maybe they think he has potential at safety?   Maybe he’s good on special teams?   Maybe they thought he had more athletic skills than anybody available on their board.  Maybe they thought he was in the wrong defensive scheme at Indy?   Maybe all of them?  

At this point Douglas has earned my trust to see how these moves work out.   Getting upset over this trade shows how little we have to do with our lives.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

The risk for Wilson at 23 isn’t any different for any other 6th or 7th rd pick. He was very highly thought off till he ran his 40 4.54 . And that caused him to slide to the 2nd rd.. just put him in press coverage he will prove his worth.. 

Thank you most 6th or 7th round draft picks don’t normally make the team and he is young so it isn’t crazy 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Probably 5-6 prospects I'd personal take a shot at were available instead of that trade. Kenny wilekes, jauan Jennings, kj hill, eno Benjamin, dezmon Patten to name a few. I'm not crying over passing up any of these guys, however, wilekes does intrigue me

I would have liked Jennings.  Wilekes got no interest despite playing a premium position.  I doubt we missed anything big there

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

True, but with close to zero at the WR position in terms of proven talent, a receiver would've made more sense there IMO.

So let me get this straight,, instead of Wilson, you would have wanted another "close to zero WR position in terms of proven talent,?" I think I will trust JD over your opinion. IMHO

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Just listened to Cimini’s podcast and he said he wasn’t a fan of the Wilson trade after talking to personnel guys.

In a nutshell he said he was told the guy just isn’t a very good player and there are concerns about his work ethic/attitude.

Time will tell, but a WR at 211 was the way to go IMO.

100% agree. There were a bunch of players that were enticing at that point:

KJ Hill

Juan Jennings

Eno benjamin

Carter Coughlin

Kenny Willekes

I would have been happier with any of these than Wilson.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AFJF said:

But the team that had him as an NFL player for 3 years was happy to take the 211th pick that you're mocking for its lack of value.  

Kinda' shows why some of us are questioning it.  Why not use the pick on a guy who nobody has worked with in the NFL and wants to throw away as a result?

If they took a WR thereit probably would have been Cager who they got as an UDFA.

They want to look at the 23 YO in camp, I'm good with it.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

100% agree. There were a bunch of players that were enticing at that point:

KJ Hill

Juan Jennings

Eno benjamin

Carter Coughlin

Kenny Willekes

I would have been happier with any of these than Wilson.

I dont ever expect a player like these to ever have an impact in any way on a roster, I dont see a reason not to make the trade

I admit, I knew nothing about Kenny Willekes so looked him up, pretty funny, dont think I've read this kind of list for a player, lol.  

• Below-average athlete with plodding foot quickness
  • Movements are slow-twitch and lack suddenness
  • Lacks tackling range to play stand-up linebacker
  • Very little pressure against Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Wisconsin
  • Conversion of speed to power is absent
  • Below-average rush counters
  • Tries to survive against downhill blockers at point of attack
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I dont ever expect a player like these to ever have an impact in any way on a roster, I dont see a reason not to make the trade

I admit, I knew nothing about Kenny Willekes so looked him up, pretty funny, dont think I've read this kind of list for a player, lol.  

What's not to like?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Not really.  When it's one of the most glaring needs on your roster and there are starting caliber players sitting there in almost every round, the expectation should be multiple WR's.  Prominent analsyts and beat writers have all been asking the same question.  May not matter in the end, but it reminds me of Maccagnan not taking any CB's a few years ago in a very deep class when the Jets had a huge need at the position.

How many WRs can you draft? They signed 2 vets in Perriman & Doctson, say what you will but they are experienced & way ahead of guys you draft later. They already have Crowder, are grooming Berrios (who Pats fans loved & BB liked) but couldn't keep when you have Edelman in the slot. They drafted Mims & targeted 2 more guys as UDFAs in Cager & Campbell. 

• Upvote 4

30 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If they took a WR thereit probably would have been Cager who they got as an UDFA.

They want to look at the 23 YO in camp, I'm good with it.

We'll never know.  It could've been one of the guys who were drafted after that pick and they still grab Cager as an UDFA.  Also durability issues for both UDFA WR's.

Edited by AFJF
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

How many WRs can you draft? They signed 2 vets in Perriman & Doctson, say what you will but they are experienced & way ahead of guys you draft later. They already have Crowder, are grooming Berrios (who Pats fans loved & BB liked) but couldn't keep when you have Edelman in the slot. They drafted Mims & targeted 2 more guys as UDFAs in Cager & Campbell. 

Perriman is on a one-year deal and Doctson has proven nothing as a pro.  These aren't guys that lead you to pass on a receiver in the draft IMO.  

However, we can't rule out the possibility that Joe D wasn't lying when he said he likes Smith and Berrios.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, GaryM said:

So let me get this straight,, instead of Wilson, you would have wanted another "close to zero WR position in terms of proven talent,?" I think I will trust JD over your opinion. IMHO

Yes, the best way to improve a position with little depth is to not bring in other players to compete.  When a position is depleted, the smartest thing to do is leave it be.

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Don't love Quincy Wilson as a player, but for the cost of a 6, it is worth the roll of the dice imo.

Wilson will be out of the league inside 2 years. Quote me.

Also that's not always reflective of quality. Teams tend to hold on to the guys they've invested more in. We'd have kicked Gholston, Hackenberg, Milliner etc. even sooner had we not used such high picks. 

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

Are the receivers we would have in the 6 or 7 th rd obviously better than the one we picked up as udfa?

I would say yes.  Neither UDFA has been able to stay on the field and neither had more than a quick flash of production.  They may very well turn out to be the next Duper and Clayton, but I would've preferred a durable/productive reciever to go along with the two long shots.

• WTF? 1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

LOL, I was just imagining him or a family member reading that list.  Ouch

To be fair, you should have posted the "Strengths" along with the WEAKNESSES:

Strengths
  • Former walk-on looking to show and prove each snap
  • Three straight years of production beyond the norm
  • Split low, providing needed balance playing through redirect blocks
  • Smart, tough and relentless with good hand usage
  • Almost never misses the mark as a tackler
  • Comes out low and quick from his first step as rusher
  • Quick to activate hands and clear the limbs
  • High motor and second effort gets the payoffs
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Scoop24 said:

The risk for Wilson at 23 isn’t any different for any other 6th or 7th rd pick. He was very highly thought off till he ran his 40 4.54 . And that caused him to slide to the 2nd rd.. just put him in press coverage he will prove his worth.. 

You nailed it.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Yeah, I'm not super upset about it, but my first thought when they made the deal was "how good can he be if he plays a premium position and Indy basically gave him away"?

Hope they struck gold, but the 1 WR thing was a head scratcher to me.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here.   He has done pretty well so far with the couple of late round pick for scrap heap player trades he's made so far.   Agree with the overall context though....needed to walk away with a second WR.   This was too deep of a class and our depth chart too devoid of talent not to take another shot somewhere.

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

he does backflips though lol

• Haha 1