Cimini re: Quincy Wilson

AFJF

24 minutes ago, AFJF said:

We'll never know.  It could've been one of the guys who were drafted after that pick and they still grab Cager as an UDFA.  Also durability issues for both UDFA WR's.

Your 100% correct "We'll never know", but I got up at 5:30 this morning, lugged my kayack onto my truck, and it started lighting so i couldn't go fishing.  grrrrr

Might as well argue about a 6th round pick that didn't happen.  :)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

Your 100% correct "We'll never know", but I got up at 5:30 this morning, lugged my kayack onto my truck, and it started lighting so i couldn't go fishing.  grrrrr

Might as well argue about a 6th round pick that didn't happen.  :)

Hey, that's why us lunatics log on.  Anyone up for arguing about which uniform combination they should wear for the home opener even though the answer is obvioulsy all white?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Who isn't ?

good point.  it sounds like wilson has some good talent but maybe his head/attitude/desire just aren't there to take him to the next level.  still i guess he's on his contract year and that usually brings out the best in players.

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

To be fair, you should have posted the "Strengths" along with the WEAKNESSES:

Strengths
  • Former walk-on looking to show and prove each snap
  • Three straight years of production beyond the norm
  • Split low, providing needed balance playing through redirect blocks
  • Smart, tough and relentless with good hand usage
  • Almost never misses the mark as a tackler
  • Comes out low and quick from his first step as rusher
  • Quick to activate hands and clear the limbs
  • High motor and second effort gets the payoffs

I know, I wasn't posting this as a rating of the player, just thought the list was funny in that it was almost mean

Quincy Wilson’s struggles came when the Colts started playing more zone.

In 2018, he showed improvement. In his last 10 games (he only played 13 games that year), passer rating towards him was 65.2 which was 7th best during that stretch. Gregg is going have him do what he does best, play man. Even if he’s the 4th best outside corner behind Desir, Austin and Hall, there’s like a 5% chance you are getting someone better then him at 211. I thought it was a very good trade.

• Upvote 3

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-draft-history-grades-and-stats-for-every-first-and-second-round-pick-since-2015-afc-south-edition

I can’t copy and paste but if you go back one year, before the Colts switch to being more zone heavy, the outlook for Wilson was much different. I recall the Jets asking for him last year instead of Hairston and the Colts said no. 

3 hours ago, pdxgreen said:

I have always respected Cimini's print background but the tone of his tweets with stuff like this has always bugged me.  I get the feeling he enjoy some secret pleasure for being as dispassionate as possible with Jets fans.  Similar to a depressed office clerk who enjoys mentioning as much negative small talk to pas their demeanor onto to you.  Again.  I don't follow his show and have always tried to stay away from his articles.  But he's been on this news beat a long time and we all know it ain't exactly as prestigious as covering the '61 Yankees.  Cimini probably isn't after any personal gain.  But he sure loves telling us how bad the weather is.

Of course.  It's just an observation.

Cimini is a failed journalist. Imagine spending your entire career covering a mostly lousy team and having to write the same articles year after year. He's bitter that his ceiling is a beat writer covering a team he has grown to hate. I *almost* pity him.

He has more talent than a 6th round pick would. Plus, if he is not motivated by being traded for a 6th round pick and playing for Greg Williams, than he'll never be motivated and will likely be out of the NFL in short order. It's a wise gamble by JD, if you even consider giving up a 6th round pick a gamble. 

Another point is that they may have very well used that 6th round pick on a player they signed as an undrafted free agent, like Lamar Jackson, in which case, JD gave up absolutely nothing in the trade.

The Jets may very well have finally hit pay dirt on a GM. And, ironically, we have Adam Gase to thank for it. Gase's one truly great quality is he does not suffer fools well. 

• Upvote 3

True, but with close to zero at the WR position in terms of proven talent, a receiver would've made more sense there IMO.

Why do you think the quality of reciever at that pick is any better than the handful of guys who will be undrafted free agents? You are not picking guys who are likely to be all pros that far down the draft they are not even likely to be in the NFL long.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, JetFan20 said:

The Jets #2 personnel guy was with the Colts for years. I’m sure he knows more about Wilson than any of Ciminis sources. 

Contract year in 2020

13 hours ago, Jetster said:

Just shuffling cards at the end of the roster just trying to pull out an Ace.

Bingo!  Instead of drafting a player that they likely signed as a UDFA anyway (Cager, Huff, etc.) the Jets used a pick on a guy who is known to the front office (Rex Hogan) and who will have everything on the line during a contract year.  The Jets will wring out any effort and talent he has, and maybe he earns a $2M 1-year contract from Douglas for next year if Dougie is feeling generous.

What you get here is a guy with a known floor and some NFL experience.  There's very little upside but the CB position needs some bodies, some depth, and some guys who play through Training Camp while players like Bryce Hall sit on the shelf for a couple more months or even into the season.

I have no problem with this trade.  It was essentially a "pairs trade" like in the stock market..... Buy two companies in the same industry that have different outlooks and approaches and hope at least one works out.  Two CBs.... An established floor, low ceiling guy with NFL experience in Wilson.  A risky rookie with an injury but a huge upside in Hall.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

True, but with close to zero at the WR position in terms of proven talent, a receiver would've made more sense there IMO.

What proven talent would you get in the 6th round that is any better then the UDFAs they picked up... ridiculous hot-takes around here...

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Bingo!  Instead of drafting a player that they likely signed as a UDFA anyway (Cager, Huff, etc.) the Jets used a pick on a guy who is known to the front office (Rex Hogan) and who will have everything on the line during a contract year.  The Jets will wring out any effort and talent he has, and maybe he earns a $2M 1-year contract from Douglas for next year if Dougie is feeling generous.

What you get here is a guy with a known floor and some NFL experience.  There's very little upside but the CB position needs some bodies, some depth, and some guys who play through Training Camp while players like Bryce Hall sit on the shelf for a couple more months or even into the season.

I have no problem with this trade.  It was essentially a "pairs trade" like in the stock market..... Buy two companies in the same industry that have different outlooks and approaches and hope at least one works out.  Two CBs.... An established floor, low ceiling guy with NFL experience in Wilson.  A risky rookie with an injury but a huge upside in Hall.

So many irrational posters around here that think that magical end of the 6th rounder that the Jets gave up would have upgraded the WR so much more then the 2 WRs they picked up after the draft... Idiotic... 

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

To be fair, you should have posted the "Strengths" along with the WEAKNESSES:

Strengths
  • Former walk-on looking to show and prove each snap
  • Three straight years of production beyond the norm
  • Split low, providing needed balance playing through redirect blocks
  • Smart, tough and relentless with good hand usage
  • Almost never misses the mark as a tackler
  • Comes out low and quick from his first step as rusher
  • Quick to activate hands and clear the limbs
  • High motor and second effort gets the payoffs

Are you trying to be funny?   If that was a resume and weaknesses were listed first, I’d never get to the second page.

23 hours ago, slats said:

He doesn't have to sign a huge deal to be part of the equation. As long as he counts as a free agent lost, he could lead to a comp pick as long as the Jets lose more free agents than they sign next year. They have a lot of one year deals on the roster, and they could be playing that game this year. 

exactly.  People confuse two of the elements that go into the formula.  The first element is qualifying for a comp pick at all.  The only practical way of ever qualifying is to lose a greater number of Qualified UFA's than you gain.  So if/when Wilson is cut he could qualify as a qualified loss.  WIth respect to this element, salary doesn't matter, just the timing of the acquisitions and losses.  Once qualified for a comp pick, the value of the lost FA contracts are balanced with those acquired and the difference will usually determine the round. 

On 4/30/2020 at 5:12 AM, Dcat said:

they got their UDFA without drafting him: Cager.  They interviewed him twice and I knew they were going to get him one way or the other.  Might have had it set up the UDFA deal already in the event he went undrafted, so that could be the reason for the WIlson trade.

Yes. The difference between late round draft picks and some UDFA’s is minimal. Cager could’ve easily slid into the bottom of this draft according to a lot of draft analysis. 

I don’t sweat a GM trading a 6th round pick. Especially with all the picks he acquired in this draft moving down. And I say that as a person who’s not optimistic about Quincy Wilson.

On 4/30/2020 at 7:20 AM, JiF said:

Yes, I'm sure the 211th overall pick is really somethign we'll be looking back at in a few years like, how on earth did we trade away the chance "insert obligatory name that is out of the league in 3 years" in hopes that a former 2nd RD CB revitalized his career with the Jets.

Probably the decision that will cost JD his job, when you really think about it.  Those 200 range guys, lots of hidden talent in that range to sacrifice that for a former 2nd round pick? 

SHAME!!!!!!!!

Hopefully works out better than trading a 5 th to San Fran for Robinson

On 4/30/2020 at 8:23 PM, C Mart said:

Not sure if they overlapped but Wilson, Maye & Poole are all UF alums. So if the criticism coming from Indy of his poor attitude, bad practice habits are true he’ll have to answer to his fellow alum and ultimately Adams. 

I have never heard Maye, Adams or Poole’s practice habits questioned. 

For a 6th Rounder it’s worth a flyer. 

Wilson has played concurrently with Mayes and Poole at UF, Maulet, Hairston and Desir with the Colts.

• Upvote 1

I would guess that Gregg Williams had input into this trade. He must have seen something in Quincy that he thought he could work with. We need CB play and I don't see much risk in giving up the 211 pick.

• Upvote 1

Just listened to Cimini’s podcast and he said he wasn’t a fan of the Wilson trade after talking to personnel guys.
In a nutshell he said he was told the guy just isn’t a very good player and there are concerns about his work ethic/attitude.
Time will tell, but a WR at 211 was the way to go IMO.

Kenny willekas and DPJ were sitting there

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app