Douglas Interview (WFAN)

KRL

He said they were quite surprised that Mims lasted until 59.  Sounds like he expected Mims to be taken. He was very willing to let Mims go elsewhere for the extra picks. He said Mims could have easily gone in the first 5 picks of round 2 (pittman, higgins).

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

He said they were quite surprised that Mims lasted until 59.  Sounds like he expected Mims to be taken. He was very willing to let Mims go elsewhere for the extra picks. He said Mims could have easily gone in the first 5 picks of round 2 (pittman, higgins).

Heard that too. Really makes me wonder what their plan for WR was had he been taken.

He said a few times they were "sweating" when they moved down. My thought is: then why do it if there was a guy or 2 available that you really liked and risk having them taken ahead of you?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Who did the interview? Haven't listened to the FAN is 6 weeks. My brain cell count is way up, by the way.?

LOL. You aren't missing much. I feel a lot less aggravated having cut my listenership  by about 90%.

Boomer & Gio did the interview

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Gee I just got flayed in that other thread for saying this very thing.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

We can't blame the pessimistic mentally of most Jets fans with early 2021 silly mock drafts and trading scenarios dumping assets which is not in line with Douglas' vision.

Trust in Douglas, let the season play and have faith that we will be a solid team for years to come.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, CTJetsFan said:

Heard that too. Really makes me wonder what their plan for WR was had he been taken.

He said a few times they were "sweating" when they moved down. My thought is: then why do it if there was a guy or 2 available that you really liked and risk having them taken ahead of you?

yeah, that was not very good of him, as much as I like this draft I was mind blown when he moved down in the 2nd. He better thank his lucky stars it turned out the way it did, and I like JD, and think the JETS future can be bright with him as our GM.

10 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

yeah, that was not very good of him, as much as I like this draft I was mind blown when he moved down in the 2nd. He better thank his lucky stars it turned out the way it did, and I like JD, and think the JETS future can be bright with him as our GM.

Agreed. I got nauseous when I saw they were off the clock. First thought was "Here we go again'.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gee I just got flayed in that other thread for saying this very thing.

but it is what he said.  They "were on edge" waiting for 59, but he expected that Mims could go before 59.  He was fine passing on Mims but this board won't accept it for some reason.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

A little off topic but I liked how he just didn't want to talk about the tip

incident with the restaurant

Yeah, that was rare.

I was expecting him to say something along the lines of, "you know...i'm just paying it forward, blah blah blah...", <some statement displaying a very public self-aggrandizing>, but he seemed almost embarrassed by it.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Alka said:

Isn't it obvious?  Van Jefferson is the son of Jets receivers coach Shawn Jefferson.  Due to the fact that Van Jefferson was injured, didn't have a pro day, didn't go to the combine, their wasn't a lot of information on him, except with the knowledge that his dad has with the Jets.

They probably figured that Mims would be taken, and they would have Van Jefferson to pick at 59, but he was gone at 57.

I'm sure Joe thought that Jefferson would continue to slide to round 3, and it didn't.  The Jets already have a speed burner in Perriman, and they were looking to Jefferson as a big possession type receiver that could compliment Perriman.  

I'm confident that the Jets liked Mims as well, but because they had their hearts set on Jefferson, picking him at their spot of 48 was too high, and getting the extra draft pick was right in their wheelhouse.

Of course this is all assumptions on my part, but I can see it.

Nah. Jefferson isn't a joe douglas kind of guy. He doesn't have exceptional speed or size. Not in line with his principles.

Joe probably had 2 WRs in mind: Michael pittman and denzel mims. He had no shot at pittman, so he took Mims.

4 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

After Mims was taken at #59 the next WR didn't go until #80 with the Raiders. There was a big drop-off.  In fact, the Raiders had both #80 and #81 and took two WRs (Lynn Bowden, Bryan Edwards).

There was a clear drop-off after Mims.  In fact, he was the 13th WR taken..... He got jumped by guys like Claypool, Hamler, and even Van Jefferson (who many see as a very high floor but lower ceiling guy).

My guess (pure speculation) is that if Mims had been taken prior to #59 the Jets would have waited on WR until Round 3.  Guys like Bowden, Edwards, Duvernay are good but none of them were worth a 2nd round pick IMO.

I think the Jets would have gone with a player at either Edge or DB at #59, especially given that they went with a DB and Edge rusher with their very next picks in Round 3.  Pure guess here but I think it would have been Edge Julian Okwara or Josh Uche, or it would have been CB Kristian Fulton.

1459681711_ScreenShot2020-04-30at10_49_50AM.png.7c29dc4dc8fb0007d03300eaf6873cd3.png

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

Nah. Jefferson isn't a joe douglas kind of guy. He doesn't have exceptional speed or size. Not in line with his principles.

Joe probably had 2 WRs in mind: Michael pittman and denzel mims. He had no shot at pittman, so he took Mims.

Pittman was gone by 48.  If it was between those 2, there would not have been a trade down.  

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

After Mims was taken at #59 the next WR didn't go until #80 with the Raiders. There was a big drop-off.  In fact, the Raiders had both #80 and #81 and took two WRs (Lynn Bowden, Bryan Edwards).

There was a clear drop-off after Mims.  In fact, he was the 13th WR taken..... He got jumped by guys like Claypool, Hamler, and even Van Jefferson (who many see as a very high floor but lower ceiling guy).

My guess (pure speculation) is that if Mims had been taken prior to #59 the Jets would have waited on WR until Round 3.  Guys like Bowden, Edwards, Duvernay are good but none of them were worth a 2nd round pick IMO.

I think the Jets would have gone with a player at either Edge or DB at #59, especially given that they went with a DB and Edge rusher with their very next picks in Round 3.  Pure guess here but I think it would have been Edge Julian Okwara or Josh Uche, or it would have been CB Kristian Fulton.

It would have been Davis at 59 most likely and a WR where Davis was picked.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, nico002 said:

He is giddy about Becton

"manimal"

"profile of ogden/pace"

"old school giant of a man tackle"

"there is a lot of excitement about our OL right now"

I know the feeling.

We're all ecstatic about Mims, and I agree - but there's definitely something up behind the scenes that had him fall.  It's not like teams took other positions - they took other receivers!  With DJ Metcalf last year, he dropped because of concerns he was a workout warrior, his 3 cone was bad, he was stiff, not a good route runner, etc.  I don't even know what the criticism of Mims is.  He dropped some passes as a junior?

I feel like there must be something else.  Failed drug test maybe?

• Upvote 2

That was very cool. I think when JD came in he came off a little goofy with the media but he seems to be getting more comfortable now. Can't really tell if he's made the Right Moves yet as we have to see how this all works out. Most of us seem to agree that he is recognizing and addressing obvious needs. That's a good sign.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

Could also be his way of pumping up Mims.  

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Boomer is probably the only one on that station the Jets would allow people to speak with.

Except Boomer asked that stupid question about comparing Zuniga to Polite. 

That’s such a weak, amateur, hackish comparison - Boomer should know better than to have even brought that up.  I like Boomer but not his best moment.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, nico002 said:

He is giddy about Becton

"manimal"

"profile of ogden/pace"

"old school giant of a man tackle"

"there is a lot of excitement about our OL right now"

I would love to have seen what their T board looked like.  We’ll never know but it would be interesting.  I agree, he was effusive in his praise.

50 minutes ago, thshadow said:

With DJ Metcalf last year, he dropped because of concerns he was a workout warrior, his 3 cone was bad, he was stiff, not a good route runner, etc

I dont remember Metcalf being a top prospect who fell.  I think he was a kid who's body and athleticism helped him fly up the charts.  And then the concerns came in with regards got comp and some of his results at the combine

25 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Could also be his way of pumping up Mims.  

Exactly what I was thinking.  He gave it the we never expected him to be there, wow were we lucky line.  He said he was surprised that he was available at 59, he also made it apparent he didn't think he'd be there at 48.  

Doesnt mean that he didnt think he would lose Mims somewhere in those 11 picks.

• Upvote 1