Mehta: CJ needs to institute Playoff Mandate

Here's a link to the article: https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-jets-adam-gase-playoff-mandate-20200429-zxin4ju5p5a6dbfg762go4beay-story.html

Here's a quote: "So, the time is now to hold the head coach accountable: Make the playoffs or make way for someone who can.

Basically, Mehta still hates Gase. Big news. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, KRL said:

Such nonsense by people who just want things to write.  So if Johnson did issue a mandate,
what do these geniuses think would happen???  Nothing but confusion and controversy once
the facilities open up:

- Every time Gase gave a presser he would be quizzed on it

- Every time Douglas interacts with the media he'll be asked about it.  And of course
they'll ask him the criteria for Gase to keep his job

- Of course there would be countless "leaks" of who Douglas may be looking at to be
the next HC

- Every player interview would have them being asked about Gase's job security

Words mean nothing, give me actions and results that's all I care about.  Not some fake
tough guy playoff mandate

Well said. Agree with you.

• Upvote 1

if cj is to say anything he needs to say the team has to show some significant improvement.  right now i'm guessing he's looking back on last season and thinking about how the injury bug really impacted the win total.  so now , with douglas clearing out the old and bringing in the new, he's probably thinking playoffs or even div championship.

Are the players and coaches on our team such snowflakes that they can't accept the fact that it's time to make the playoffs? We haven't been to the playoff since the 2010 season (see below).  Yes, it's time.  If now is not the time to place some expectations then when is?

image.png.e829011ac331948b7c69174f7ee3e15f.png

• Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

In 2020 the AFC East is WIDE OPEN and there needs to be a PLAYOFF MANDATE for the Jets.

Sunday:  JD's draft wasn't enough!  This roster sucks!  The Johnson's are clueless!

Thursday:  There should be a playoff mandate for Adam Gase!

Only Jets fans.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, WowOhWow said:

Are the players and coaches on our team such snowflakes that they can't accept the fact that it's time to make the playoffs? We haven't been to the playoff since the 2010 season (see below).  Yes, it's time.  If now is not the time to place some expectations then when is?

image.png.e829011ac331948b7c69174f7ee3e15f.png

There is no need for Johnson to issue a mandate through the media.  What he should do is

the first time the team gets together he should let everyone know he wants/expects to make

the playoffs.  But that would be for the ears of everyone in the organization not the media and

fans who want to "act/talk tough"

• Upvote 4

52 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Why hasn’t the Jets done away with mannish already? Guy does nothing for the team. Cut him off 

As much as wed all like to, how do they do away with him exactly? 

You cant just cut off media members

6 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

I've been saying PLAYOFF MANDATE IN 2020 since the conclusion of the 6-2 second half finish by Adam Gase

Hey, I believe the Jets are going to win the division this year, so you don't need to convince me that we're a playoff team.

The hypocrisy of the typical Jets eyeore is what I'm talking about.  If you believe Darnold sucks, he can't make the playoffs.  If you believe the roster sucks, they can't make the playoffs.  If you think 6-2 was against an easy schedule, they can't make the playoffs.  So there should be no mandate on the head coach.  Comprende?

SAR I

41 minutes ago, rangerous said:

if cj is to say anything he needs to say the team has to show some significant improvement.  right now i'm guessing he's looking back on last season and thinking about how the injury bug really impacted the win total.  so now , with douglas clearing out the old and bringing in the new, he's probably thinking playoffs or even div championship.

The Pandemic will like make the upcoming season a wash. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Gase should be under pressure to make the playoffs. Way too many excuses are made for him and a lot of problems the Jets had last season were either of his own making or at least exacerbated by him. 

Darnold should be under pressure to show improvement. Still don't think we have nearly good enough pieces around him but there's only so long you can make excuses. He doesn't have a win mandate or even TD:INT mandate - Just show significant progress - Cut down the stupid mistakes, improve his downfield accuracy, better pocket awareness etc.

The former will be replaced if we at least don't compete. Another pathetic start like last season and he wont last until Week 8. Sam wont be replaced barring a total disaster next season but if he doesn't improve I can definitely see us bringing in someone to compete with him and 2021 being a last chance to prove himself. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Disagree with a playoff mandate, but there should be a "finish in the top half of league on offense" mandate.  That's rare territory for Gase without Manning by his side.  Not even sure he's ever done it.

So last week we had "the worst offense in the NFL" and then we have a draft where we select a single player that one could call a legitimate offensive weapon who only replaces the weapon we lost to free agency and now you think we should finish in the Top 16 of the entire league?

There can't be a Gase mandate if you believe the offense hasn't improved much over last year.  Gase isn't the problem.  Players are.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

a mandate is nothing more than a threat.  like gase or hate gase, he went 7-9 with a crappy roster and darnold's mono.  this isn't close to fireable territory.

Exactly.  Gase could suck or Gase could be great, who knows?

What we know is that he held the team together in 2019 during tough times and they responded.  The QB took steps forward with a terrible roster.  Mission accomplished.

The chances that Gase gets fired this year are slim.  Only happens if he loses the team.  Nothing to do with the record.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

Mehta He’s mostly tough but fair.  For sure, sometimes he gets a little vindictive but for the most part he’s solid.

Of course there should be a playoff mandate - I can’t believe we have fans that don’t think that.

We’re not talking about some superstar HC that has been so good in the past that he deserves time.

This is an offensive minded coach that has put up consistency some of the worst offenses in the league and has gotten worse each year he’s coached. 24th, 25th, 31st and last year was the worst offense in the NFL.

Scary that’s who’s leading this team and has Sam’s future in his hands.

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

So last week we had "the worst offense in the NFL" and then we have a draft where we select a single player that one could call a legitimate offensive weapon who only replaces the weapon we lost to free agency and now you think we should finish in the Top 16 of the entire league?

There can't be a Gase mandate if you believe the offense hasn't improved much over last year.  Gase isn't the problem.  Players are.

SAR I

i don't believe in any mandate but this offense should be in the top half of the league.  they did more than just draft a good wr.  they also pulled in a guy like perriman and will have herndon back and possibly enunwa.  not to mention what they might pick up during the cut downs.  and the oline was the main obstacle to having a good offense and that's been upgraded.  there's every reason to believe they'll be much improved across the board.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Remember when Manish was caught with the Wyatt account and literally every sports writer on the planet celebrated Manish’s imminent demise? 

He is still here though..... considering people keep clicking on his nonsense and NYDN refuses to can him the question remains how do get rid of him once and for all?

pandawhale GIF

CJ is not going to put a playoff mandate.

It’s pretty obvious that Douglas is moving this organization in a certain direction. Let it play out.

The reality is that Douglas took this job having worked with Gase before and knowing we just hired Gase. He also took this job knowing the organization had just made a big investment in Darnold. The 6 year deal helped. But he didn’t come here thinking I need to get my coach or I need to draft my QB. 

• Upvote 2