Mehta: CJ needs to institute Playoff Mandate

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mehta's hatred for Gase is reaching Fatal Attraction type levels of obsession. He's one year into the job, having won 7 games last year with a talent deprived roster riddled with injuries to key

Such nonsense by people who just want things to write.  So if Johnson did issue a mandate, what do these geniuses think would happen???  Nothing but confusion and controversy once the facilities o

Remember when Manish was caught with the Wyatt account and literally every sports writer on the planet celebrated Manish’s imminent demise? 

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, SAR I said:

So last week we had "the worst offense in the NFL" and then we have a draft where we select a single player that one could call a legitimate offensive weapon who only replaces the weapon we lost to free agency and now you think we should finish in the Top 16 of the entire league?

There can't be a Gase mandate if you believe the offense hasn't improved much over last year.  Gase isn't the problem.  Players are.

SAR I

Can't have a fantasy football outlook and just stare at the WR depth chart.  Offensive line matters quite a bit in the NFL.  Every single spot on the OL should be better with the exception of Lewis where they remain the same.  Better line means more time for Sam and more holes for Bell.  Add to that a healhty Herndon and there's no reason why a "top offensive mind" shouldn't be able to get a top 16 offense.  

Gase can't keep being Gase and expect more free passes.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Remember when Manish was caught with the Wyatt account and literally every sports writer on the planet celebrated Manish’s imminent demise? 

I mean, I know it's fun to poke at him and all, but that wasn't his account.  Somebody actually did some digging and linked the account back to a Jets employee which I believe he later deleted, which was a good thing.  Not entirely sure it wasn't an intern who may have been doing it as a favor to somebody ranked a bit higher in the orgnization.

• Upvote 1

Chris Johnson is in no position to demand success from anyone until he proves he's capable of it himself.

The Johnsons are not owners of this team because of anything they did, but only because of what they inherited. They have literally accomplished nothing on their own, ever.

If there's a mandate, it should be to them. Make the playoffs, or sell to someone who can build a successful organization.

• Upvote 2
52 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As much as wed all like to, how do they do away with him exactly? 

You cant just cut off media members

I understand. However it would be quite Easy if it was collective effort. If we the fans/readers demanded. We do not read the Daily News unless they get rid of him.  The coaches/management can refuse to speak to him. I highly doubt the News would stand by the little Wiesel if we really wanted it. Unless some on here really like him. I highly doubt that is the case. More like just everyone is barely tolerating him. 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

a mandate is nothing more than a threat.  like gase or hate gase, he went 7-9 with a crappy roster and darnold's mono.  this isn't close to fireable territory.

Sadly 6-10 was for Pete Carroll after one year.

31 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Wish the NYDN would issue a mandate that this bum has to write at least 1 decent article a year.

Or better yet, just fold.  

He wrote a fantastic one a couple weeks ago about Jets new grading scale for draft prospects.

21 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Mehta flip flops every offseason. Last year  after they hired Gase Mehta was practically licking his balls and even said there should be no mandate.  Now of course he changes his tune lol

Manish’s old source (Mac) had Manish write puff pieces about the new big hired HC.

Once Mac was fired and Gase slapped Manish around in a presser, then Manish started his anti-Gase brigade.

• Upvote 3
34 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I understand. However it would be quite Easy if it was collective effort. If we the fans/readers demanded. We do not read the Daily News unless they get rid of him.  The coaches/management can refuse to speak to him. I highly doubt the News would stand by the little Wiesel if we really wanted it. Unless some on here really like him. I highly doubt that is the case. More like just everyone is barely tolerating him. 

We can boycott him or the paper, that's on is though, not the Jets

The Jets, coaches/management cant refuse to speak to him.  If the Jets tried to do that to one of their writers the News would never let a team dictate who they send to cover the team and would fight it to the bitter end. The Jets would come out losers and look bad unfortunately 

39 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Playoff Mandates are stupid.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

As if Gase doesnt really want to make the playoffs.  Now with a mandate he'll actually try to get there?  Does he need a mandate to win a playoff game or more too?

As if telling him something new, his job is rated by wins/loses and playoffs?  Really? 

• Upvote 1

How long do you guys want to waste Sam on this guy?

I think you all know he’s a bad coach, but are sticking with your classic homerism. 

From the moment he got hired it was just a matter of time before he got fired...the sooner he’s gone the sooner we can move on.

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

As if Gase doesnt really want to make the playoffs.  Now with a mandate he'll actually try to get there?  Does he need a mandate to win a playoff game or more?

As if telling him something new, his job is rated by wins/loses and playoffs?  Really? 

Meanwhile, what kind of threat is it anyway?  If you fail, I'll fire you with 2 years left on your deal and give you around 5M per year, each of those two years... So, shape up, mister!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

Anybody check out the Ones Jets Drive episodes?  CJ's working out with the players and grinning at Gase like a fan boy finally getting to hang out with the cool kids?

Demand a playoff spot.  Hnnmm. 

Go assert yourself, little man!

4 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Indeed, it's the folks who aren't calling for a playoff mandate that are the homers, not the ones who are calling Sam Darnold, presently, a top 10 QB, despite him never finishing outside of bottom 5 statistically, and never playing a full season.  No, not taking a measured, "I see a lot of potential and I'm hoping he elevates his play as the team around him improves," but rather declaring that he is already great, and can only be "ruined" by the Jets and Gase/Bowles.  Indeed, the later, is definitely not a homer.  The former, who's position is generally that the team isn't good enough yet, is the homer.

The Jets are not a playoff team. They will need 1 more offseason. However, if Gase does not improve offensive ranking to around middle of the pack and Darnold doesn’t stay healthy or improve his metrics to a similar level, start planning for a new QB and head coach. Use them as a bridge while we build the roster so the next coach/QB can come to a somewhat decent situation. 

12 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Meanwhile, what kind of threat is it anyway?  If you fail, I'll fire you with 2 years left on your deal and give you around 5M per year, each of those two years... So, shape up, mister!

Exactly, its pointless in so many ways

25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think you all know he’s a bad coach, but are sticking with your classic homerism. 

From the moment he got hired it was just a matter of time before he got fired...the sooner he’s gone the sooner we can move on.

Again. The same mantra. It's really, really tiresome.

• Upvote 4
20 minutes ago, Creepy Lurker said:

The Jets are not a playoff team. They will need 1 more offseason. However, if Gase does not improve offensive ranking to around middle of the pack and Darnold doesn’t stay healthy or improve his metrics to a similar level, start planning for a new QB and head coach. Use them as a bridge while we build the roster so the next coach/QB can come to a somewhat decent situation. 

I am not a Gase basher.  But if he can't get this roster into the playoffs after six years of experience as a head coach... he doesn't deserve to be in the league.  There are coaches out there more than capable of doing what he does and getting better results.  This is a results based game...  you're paid to overcome adverse situations.  Not provide excuses.  He was honestly lucky to get another year with the Johnsons backing. 

33 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So wanting to see what Gase does with some players this year equates to homerism?

WTF...... Please stop

And 90% of all coaches are on a "matter of time till they're fired" deal. Great insight.....

• Upvote 2

Why are Jets fans seemingly so averse these days to accountability and a demand for results?

We do WANT a playoff team in 2020, don't we? 

It's like Darnold and Gase are the Untouchables, for whom no pressure is ever needed nor desired according to many Jets Fans.

I honestly don't get it.

• Upvote 1
56 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Gase is currently the head coach of my favorite football team. I’d like for my favorite football team to win football games. Therefore, I’m rooting for Gase to succeed. 

I thought he did a decent job last year with a terrible roster built by an organization that’s been ignoring the offensive side of the ball for decades. And then that roster got further decimated by illness and injury. I went into last season expecting Herndon and Enunwa to be two of the team’s three leading receivers, how did that work out? 

If he sucks as hard as you believe, that’ll reveal itself pretty clearly. Barring another injury epidemic, he has far fewer excuses this year. 

If, however, the team does well. I’ll probably be happy to keep him around. 

Playoff mandates are stupid, though. That’s impetuous owner bull****, and I have enough problems with the Jets’ ownership without adding something else. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why are Jets fans seemingly so averse these days to accountability and a demand for results?

We do WANT a playoff team in 2020, don't we? 

It's like Darnold and Gase are the Untouchables, for whom no pressure is ever needed nor desired according to many Jets Fans.

I honestly don't get it.

An entirely false argument. You don't need to issue a mandate to hold someone accountable.

Does anyone actually believe Gase will win more games with a mandate than he will without one?

At the end of the season, you asses the job he did. If you decide then that it's time to go in a different direction, fine. But there's literally no reason to say right now "make the playoffs or you're fired". It does not help you in any way. It can only hurt.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, AFJF said:

Can't have a fantasy football outlook and just stare at the WR depth chart.  Offensive line matters quite a bit in the NFL.  Every single spot on the OL should be better with the exception of Lewis where they remain the same.  Better line means more time for Sam and more holes for Bell.  Add to that a healhty Herndon and there's no reason why a "top offensive mind" shouldn't be able to get a top 16 offense.  

Gase can't keep being Gase and expect more free passes.

All I'm saying is, as fans, be consistent.

If you feel the Johnson's are the ruin of our team and the roster is 4-12 caliber, get off of Gase's back as there's no way to judge him unless he loses the team outright. 

If you feel the Johnson's and the roster are good to go and we're legitimately ready for a playoff run, then fine, go ahead and hold Gase accountable for (what would be) underachieving.

Its where you get SOJF Eyeore's screaming about how terrible the Jets are as a team and then holding Gase accountable that there is a disconnect.  He proved a great deal last year.  That kind of adversity was quite a pressure-test.

SAR I

Just now, slats said:

Gase is currently the head coach of my favorite football team. I’d like for my favorite football team to win football games. Therefore, I’m rooting for Gase to succeed. 

I thought he did a decent job last year with a terrible roster built by an organization that’s been ignoring the offensive side of the ball for decades. And then that roster got further decimated by illness and injury. I went into last season expecting Herndon and Enunwa to be two of the team’s three leading receivers, how did that work out? 

If he sucks as hard as you believe, that’ll reveal itself pretty clearly. Barring another injury epidemic, he has far fewer excuses this year. 

If, however, the team does well. I’ll probably be happy to keep him around. 

Playoff mandates are stupid, though. That’s impetuous owner bull****, and I have enough problems with the Jets’ ownership without adding something else. 

I agree with much of what you said here....Except for the playoff mandate and that he did a decent job last year.  Williams did a good job and we know Gase has nothing to do with the defense. - this is a person that has failed for 4 years and consistently caused conflict in both Miami and here.

With that said, I am absolutely pulling for him to succeed.  I would like nothing more than to eat crow on this one.  And will happily do so if he shows even a semblance of competence  

To date I haven’t seen it.  I truly hope I’m wrong.

He was a high risk hire and I’m sure CJ knew that and I believe he almost certainly has him on a short leash.  Announcing a playoff mandate or not - he should be gone this year if this offense doesn’t heavily outperform last year.  

I could even understand not getting to playoffs but seeing a highly improved offense.  Something in the top 10 of league (that’s top 1/3, not exactly a major feat)

9 wins, miss the playoffs but top 1/3 of the league in offense.  I can live with that.  Anything short of that he should be gone and I think he will be.

2 hours ago, JetPotato said:

Chris Johnson is in no position to demand success from anyone until he proves he's capable of it himself.

The Johnsons are not owners of this team because of anything they did, but only because of what they inherited. They have literally accomplished nothing on their own, ever.

If there's a mandate, it should be to them. Make the playoffs, or sell to someone who can build a successful organization.

You need to remember your Jets history.

We've had 11 winning or non-losing seasons out of the 20 the Johnson's have owned the team.  If Pennington weren't made of glass, it would have been 14 out of 20.

We've made the playoffs 6 times, played in 12 playoff games, and won 6 of them.  Compare that to the Bills and Dolphins who have 0 playoff wins since the Johnson's took Jets ownership combined.

And, most importantly, all that has really mattered in the AFC East the last decade has been to be the one team that's ready to take control of the division once Brady & Belichick broke up.  Well, we're the only team with a franchise quarterback and our GM looks to be the real deal.  The culture has been changed.  The team rallied behind their head coach.  It's the Jets division lose.

So stop with the Johnson's hate already.  They don't deserve it.

SAR I

I said it back then during the pre draft period and I’ll say it again. Sam Darnold is Peyton Manning-lite or to put it another way, a poor man’s Peyton Manning . It’s probably why Adam Gase thinks he can do something great with him . The thing the Jets coaching staff have to figure out is who’s the poor man’s cheating combination that’s Darnold will have to overcome.
Is it the combo in Buffalo, the new combo in Miami or is it the establishment in Kansas City .

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1