Mehta: CJ needs to institute Playoff Mandate

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why are Jets fans seemingly so averse these days to accountability and a demand for results?

We do WANT a playoff team in 2020, don't we? 

It's like Darnold and Gase are the Untouchables, for whom no pressure is ever needed nor desired according to many Jets Fans.

I honestly don't get it.

What??

You're one of the fans who thinks we are bereft of offensive talent and had a lukewarm draft.  You're one of the fans who thinks that the 6-2 finish was against weaklings and no indication of future performance.  You're one of the fans who thinks Sam Darnold may never live up to his potential.

So how can you demand a playoff berth in 2020?  According to you, we are miles away from even thinking of that.

Therefore, Adam Gase is a developmental head coach, his job is to take baby steps and get the team to show patient, year-over-year improvement.  Maybe he gets a 'mandate' in 2022 or 2023 when JD has done his job.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

An entirely false argument.

As you see it.  I see it differently.

You don't need to issue a mandate to hold someone accountable.

Nor does a statement of expectation by ownership really hurt anything either.  Unless you are worries our Coaches and players as so soft we might hurt their widdle feelings, of course.

Does anyone actually believe Gase will win more games with a mandate than he will without one?

I believe Gase will fail to make the playoffs again in 2020 no matter what the Owner says.  Because I believe Gase is a pretty bad NFL Head Coach, and so far, he's yet to prove me wrong.  

But there's literally no reason to say right now "make the playoffs or you're fired". It does not help you in any way. It can only hurt.

No need for "....or you're fired". 

A simple concise statement of "I expect this organization to make the playoffs in 2020." is perfectly acceptable, and does no harm whatsoever.  It says everything that needs to be said.

Setting expectations in advance, and holding people accountable after they fail to meet them, is not a bad way to run an organization.

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He was a high risk hire and I’m sure CJ knew that and I believe he almost certainly has him on a short leash.  Announcing a playoff mandate or not - he should be gone this year if this offense doesn’t heavily outperform last year.  

I could even understand not getting to playoffs but seeing a highly improved offense.  Something in the top 10 of league (that’s top 1/3, not exactly a major feat)

9 wins, miss the playoffs but top 1/3 of the league in offense.  I can live with that.  Anything short of that he should be gone and I think he will be.

I absolutely agree that the offense should show significant improvement, and that that should be the #1 criterion on which his fate is decided. 

I wouldn’t make an offensive ranking mandate anymore than I’d make a playoff mandate, though. Said it in another thread today, but I expect the Jets to have a slow start this year. They’re overturning as much as the entire OL and probably two starting receivers. Two of those new starters likely being rookies. There are no OTAs, and we don’t know what training camp or the preseason is going to look like. The Jets are doing a major overhaul with little practice time available to put it all together. If, like last year, Darnold and the team finish strong, I’m not gonna be too concerned with overall rankings. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

As you see it.  I see it differently.

Nor does a statement of expectation by ownership really hurt anything either.  Unless you are worries our Coaches and players as so soft we might hurt their widdle feelings, of course.

I believe Gase will fail to make the playoffs again in 2020 no matter what the Owner says.  Because I believe Gase is a pretty bad NFL Head Coach, and so far, he's yet to prove me wrong.  

No need for "....or you're fired". 

A simple concise statement of "I expect this organization to make the playoffs in 2020." is perfectly acceptable, and does no harm whatsoever.  It says everything that needs to be said.

Setting expectations in advance, and holding people accountable after they fail to meet them, is not a bad way to run an organization.

Then it's not a mandate. 

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

Why would you ever issue a 'mandate' on well, anything. Why 'lock' yourself into something? You can make your expectations known, but this just stupid mehta trash for clicks.

..and I think Gase should be fired right this instant

Exactly.

13 minutes ago, SAR I said:

You need to remember your Jets history.

We've had 11 winning or non-losing seasons out of the 20 the Johnson's have owned the team.  If Pennington weren't made of glass, it would have been 14 out of 20.

We've made the playoffs 6 times, played in 12 playoff games, and won 6 of them.  Compare that to the Bills and Dolphins who have 0 playoff wins since the Johnson's took Jets ownership combined.

And, most importantly, all that has really mattered in the AFC East the last decade has been to be the one team that's ready to take control of the division once Brady & Belichick broke up.  Well, we're the only team with a franchise quarterback and our GM looks to be the real deal.  The culture has been changed.  The team rallied behind their head coach.  It's the Jets division lose.

So stop with the Johnson's hate already.  They don't deserve it.

SAR I

I'm well aware of the Jets lack of success throughout history, including the clueless trust-fund baby Johnson tenure.

I'm also well of aware of the history of Jets message boards, where you have maybe 4 or 5 moronic talking points that you just keep copying and pasting in every thread with some minor tweaks for at least a decade. 

So stop already. We don't deserve it.

• Haha 1

Mandates are silly. You can make a decision at the end of the year regardless of if a coach makes the playoffs. Would backing into the playoffs after losing the final five games the season be reason to bring a coach back? Would you not bring a coach back if you started the season 0-5 and then went on a 11 game winning streak only to miss the playoffs? Yes, these are wacky and unlikely scenarios, but the point is the same. A playoff mandate is not a valuable tool to motivate a coach. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

So how can you demand a playoff berth in 2020?  According to you, we are miles away from even thinking of that.

And according to you SAR, we're the clear-cut  best team in the AFC East, with the best QB in the AFC East, and maybe 2nd best in the AFC, and a potential Super Bowl competitor in 2020.

Not already walking back that position, despite a very good hole-plugging draft, are you?

We were 7-9 last year.  Sam missed multiple games last year.  Our All-Pro MLB missed the entire season last year. 

Our roster is materially better at almost every position now than it was then.

I think expecting 9-7 and a Wildcard berth isn't asking too much of the "best team in the AFC East", is it SAR?

30 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Maybe he gets a 'mandate' in 2022 or 2023 when JD has done his job.

:-k

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And according to you SAR, we're the clear-cut  best team in the AFC East, with the best QB in the AFC East, and maybe 2nd best in the AFC, and a potential Super Bowl competitor in 2020.

Not already walking back that position, despite a very good hole-plugging draft, are you?

No.  What I'm saying is that if a fan who believes the Jets are winning the division decided to give Gase a mandate that's consistent with that poster's position.  But a non-believer who thinks the Jets are a 3rd or 4th place team at best can't hold Gase to a standard that he himself doesn't believe in. 

This happened a lot last year.  Every Gase hater to a man felt we were going to go 5-7 or 6-10.  So we go 7-9 under excruciating circumstances and they still couldn't give the guy his props.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

We were 7-9 last year.  Sam missed multiple games last year.  Our All-Pro MLB missed the entire season last year. 

Our roster is materially better at almost every position now than it was then.

I think expecting 9-7 and a Wildcard berth isn't asking too much of the "best team in the AFC East", is it SAR?

I think 9-7 is too low a bar but in the ballpark.  Are you saying you're a believer in 9-7?  Because you were a lot more down on the team during the draft.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

All I'm saying is, as fans, be consistent.

If you feel the Johnson's are the ruin of our team and the roster is 4-12 caliber, get off of Gase's back as there's no way to judge him unless he loses the team outright. 

If you feel the Johnson's and the roster are good to go and we're legitimately ready for a playoff run, then fine, go ahead and hold Gase accountable for (what would be) underachieving.

Its where you get SOJF Eyeore's screaming about how terrible the Jets are as a team and then holding Gase accountable that there is a disconnect.  He proved a great deal last year.  That kind of adversity was quite a pressure-test.

SAR I

I’m none of the above.

Gase is Just bad at his job.

There are two ways to look at this. 

1. Manish hates Gase, knows that Vince Lombardi could not coach this team to the playoffs and wants a playoff mandate so Gase gets fired.  We can all see through that.
  2. But CJ is a bit of a rube, and it would be nice if he held Gase accountable as opposed to guaranteeing him his job after just terrible coaching.  

The Johnsons hate to eat broken contract costs, but Gase has to do better.  Hopefully he has been seeing a therapist.   He is being handed an opportunity on a silver platter.   8 months from now, we can't be complaining about a poorly coached team with a bad offensive game plan.  

54 minutes ago, SAR I said:

No.

Good, so you do stand by your "best team in AFC East, 2nd best QB in the AFC East, Super Bowl Contender" posts.  Great!

What I'm saying is that if a fan who believes the Jets are winning the division decided to give Gase a mandate that's consistent with that poster's position.

If you think he's going to win the division, why would you think he needs a mandate?

But a non-believer...

This if football mate, not religion.

...who thinks the Jets are a 3rd or 4th place team at best can't hold Gase to a standard that he himself doesn't believe in.

Sure they can.  People are told all the time "get it done or else" despite the odds being they won't, in fact, get it done.  People are given difficult, if not impossible, mandates all the time in life.

With that said, I will repeat:  I don't want CJ to give a mandate (a "do this or else that" statement).

I want CJ to set the organizations expectations.  A "I expect us to be a playoff team in 2020."  Nothing beyond that needs said.  

This happened a lot last year.  Every Gase hater to a man felt we were going to go 5-7 or 6-10.

I didn't.  I predicted 9-7 in fact.  Despite being very much a critic of the Gase hire.  We had a VERY easy schedule.  And had Sam not gotten Mono, it's likely I'd been been spot on.

So we go 7-9 under excruciating circumstances and they still couldn't give the guy his props.

What do you want, me to give him a blowjob or something?  Somehow I don;t think my "props" mean much to him.

I think 9-7 is too low a bar but in the ballpark.  Are you saying you're a believer in 9-7?  Because you were a lot more down on the team during the draft.

I don't think you read what I wrote about the draft, during or after.  It was a very good draft IMO, plugged alot of holes and provided depth where needed.  And yes, at this still quite early juncture, I think an expectation of 9-7 from this roster as it is today should be reasonable.

Just now, slats said:

I don’t know. Maybe reread the first sentence of my post that you quoted.... ? 

This one?

I absolutely agree that the offense should show significant improvement, and that that should be the #1 criterion on which his fate is decided. 

So if he finished last or near last (say bottom 5) in Team Offense again, how would YOU decide his fate then?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Ok, and?

Isn't that what this article and entire thread are about? You created the (straw man) argument that those who disagree with the need for a playoff mandate don't want accountability. I pointed out there are other ways to hold one accountable. You asked that expectations be set. I absolutely agree with that. But that is entirely different than a mandate. 

Just now, Warfish said:

This one?

So if he finished last or near last (say bottom 5) in Team Offense again, how would YOU decide his fate then?

Again, thought that was pretty clear. It’d be tough not to fire him in that instance. Outside of losing Darnold and/or other major players for most of the year, I can’t imagine him saving his job under that circumstance. Even then, tough to imagine. 

I don’t know if you think I’m I huge Gase fan. I’m not. He’s here now, so I’m rooting for him. If he fails, he can go. I’m just not gonna whine about him with every post when I know he’s gonna be here for the whole season whether I bitch about him or not. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Good, so you do stand by your "best team in AFC East, 2nd best QB in the AFC East, Super Bowl Contender" posts.  Great!

Winner of the AFC East, yes.  Perhaps a playoff game.  Beyond that we need to get hot at the right time.  We finish strong and Darnold is immune to foul weather so it's possible.

If you think he's going to win the division, why would you think he needs a mandate?

I'm saying that only fans who are bought-in that the Jets offense is rebuilt and ready to win now are allowed to issue mandates if they see fit.  The rest who think the Jets are a mediocre middling team can't hold Coach Gase to a playoff standard because they don't believe the Jets are a playoff team.

It was a very good draft IMO, plugged alot of holes and provided depth where needed.  And yes, at this still quite early juncture, I think an expectation of 9-7 from this roster as it is today should be reasonable.

Groovy.

SAR I

5 minutes ago, TNJet said:

The Parcel's way of thinking. Works every time. Win or gtfo.

A coach can motivate a player in such a fashion; an owner cannot motivate a head coach that way. 

Adam Gase has a 4 year deal worth $20M.  He's "rich as fu-k" as they say.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, TNJet said:

SAR I: Gase is a genius offensive mind.

Me: Fire his asss.

SAR:  I don't know if Gase is a good head coach or not.  I just know that based on what I saw last season he's not going anywhere and the staff and players all believe in him.  I'm impressed by the 6-2 finish after the 1-7 start that wasn't his fault at all.  I think he may be good.  Let's find out.

TNJ:  I predicted we would go 6-10 last year and we went 7-9 so fire his ass.  If I'm being honest, I don't care about his abilities as a coach.  I just wanted someone else and I'm grumpy we didn't get him.

SAR I

• Haha 1