Mehta: CJ needs to institute Playoff Mandate

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

SAR:  I don't know if Gase is a good head coach or not.  I just know that based on what I saw last season he's not going anywhere and the staff and players all believe in him.  I'm impressed by the 6-2 finish after the 1-7 start that wasn't his fault at all.  I think he may be good.  Let's find out.

TNJ:  I predicted we would go 6-10 last year and we went 7-9 so fire his ass.  If I'm being honest, I don't care about his abilities as a coach.  I just wanted someone else and I'm grumpy we didn't get him.

SAR I

I predicted 9-7 last year. Could've happened with CJ and Sam available all season. This season I'm saying 6-10 until they prove me wrong. Thought I'd try to be less optimistic because I'm always over optimistic about our record.

Our draft gives me immense hope though. They nailed it. Best since 2006.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Again, thought that was pretty clear. It’d be tough not to fire him in that instance. Outside of losing Darnold and/or other major players for most of the year, I can’t imagine him saving his job under that circumstance. Even then, tough to imagine. 

I don’t know if you think I’m I huge Gase fan. I’m not. He’s here now, so I’m rooting for him. If he fails, he can go. I’m just not gonna whine about him with every post when I know he’s gonna be here for the whole season whether I bitch about him or not. 

Don't think anything, just wanted to get on the record that YOU either would or wouldn't fire Gase after 2020 if he finishes in the bottom ~5 of Team Offense.

In any event, I agree, he is here now, and we have to root for the best......with the caveat that predictions (what we think will happen) and rooting (what we hope happens) can and often are different.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Winner of the AFC East, yes.  Perhaps a playoff game.

I'm sure you're well aware that the winner of the AFC East by default gets a playoff game.  Yes to one and perhaps to the other sounds a little.....confused.

Beyond that we need to get hot at the right time.  We finish strong and Darnold is immune to foul weather so it's possible.

Hmmm, still sounds like backing off.  Best team in the AFC East with the 2nd best QB in the AFC east doesn't need to "get hot" and get lucky with weather in order to to make the playoffs.  

I'm saying that only fans who are bought-in that the Jets offense is rebuilt and ready to win now are allowed to issue mandates if they see fit.

Interestingly, I know you're well aware you don;t dictate what others can/can't do or say.

The rest who think the Jets are a mediocre middling team can't hold Coach Gase to a playoff standard because they don't believe the Jets are a playoff team.

Except they can.  And will.

Groovy.

SAR I

Indeed.

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Gase is terrible and never should have been hired.  Mehta one short year ago trumped this as a good hire now he is flip flopping as expected

You need to lighten up too. Between you and Fidelio, it's like a incessant drone. We'll talk at the end of the 2020 season. Then you might have something to say. Until then, it's all BS.

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

Sunday:  JD's draft wasn't enough!  This roster sucks!  The Johnson's are clueless!

Thursday:  There should be a playoff mandate for Adam Gase!

Only Jets fans.

SAR I

Well, we went "11-5" last year and missed the playoffs so I don't see why we shouldn't make the playoffs this year.

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

You need to lighten up too. Between you and Fidelio, it's like a incessant drone. We'll talk at the end of the 2020 season. Then you might have something to say. Until then, it's all BS.

Bullsh*t.

You find us annoying?  Know what i find annoying?  the same thing each year a total trust of this team to be awesome sauce and falling on our ass evrey single year.

How about for once the team actually shows really promise then we can pat them on the back.

Convince me and show all the data that supports Adam Gase being the answer as coach.  I'm waiting.

• Post of the Week 2

7 hours ago, Warfish said:

Why are Jets fans seemingly so averse these days to accountability and a demand for results?

We do WANT a playoff team in 2020, don't we? 

It's like Darnold and Gase are the Untouchables, for whom no pressure is ever needed nor desired according to many Jets Fans.

I honestly don't get it.

Yes we want a playoff team we just don't want the owner making useless headlines by declaring some kind of mandate.  That is counter productive and no good, non meddling owner does something like that.  It creates needless distractions and doesn't improve our chances.   Do you really think Gase or the team will try harder or be more successful because Chris Johnson makes some needless declaration during the off season?  That seems ridiculous to me.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Bullsh*t.

You find us annoying?  Know what i find annoying?  the same thing each year a total trust of this team to be awesome sauce and falling on our ass evrey single year.

How about for once the team actually shows really promise then we can pat them on the back.

Convince me and show all the data that supports Adam Gase being the answer as coach.  I'm waiting.

Like I said. We'll reconvene at the end of 2020 for the official evaluation. You and Fidelio seem absolutely desperate to see Gase fail. That's too bad. I think you will be disappointed. 

• Upvote 1

Douglas didn't build this team like a cokehead where he overpaid FA's to try to get to 9-7, just so he can save the HC's job.  

He built this team with a long-term vision in mind.  Thus its not at all fair to demand even a winning record out of this team, let alone the playoffs. 

A short-term, instant gratification approach is what has gotten this franchise in trouble time and time again, all because the owners think they constantly need to strive for 9-7 to keep the fans happy.  It's a stupid, nonsensical approach to building a perennial contender. 

A 6-7 win season is to be expected next year unless Darnold explodes.  And like it or not, Gase will probably be here thru 2021.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Second best from what Sam? Thst is a huge gap. Allen is only good becaise he can run.

Agreed. But he’s still the second best QB in the AFCE. Combine that with the best overall roster, and the Bills are the team to beat in the division.

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'm sure you're well aware that the winner of the AFC East by default gets a playoff game.  Yes to one and perhaps to the other sounds a little.....confused.

I said I feel we will win the division and perhaps win a playoff game.  I don't think we're capable of beating an elite team on the road in the playoffs right now.  Do you?

Hmmm, still sounds like backing off.  Best team in the AFC East with the 2nd best QB in the AFC east doesn't need to "get hot" and get lucky with weather in order to to make the playoffs.  

I said "beyond that" (playoff game at home) we would need things to break our way.  See above.

Interestingly, I know you're well aware you don;t dictate what others can/can't do or say.

You can't say that.

SAR I

6 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

AFCE is not up for grabs. The Bills are the prohibitive favorite. 

In your mind perhaps, but not in reality.

The Bills were the Jets in blue uniforms last season, except with the good fortune of being perfectly healthy. 

at Jets
Dolphins
Bengals

If the Jets won those 3 games, we get the wildcard, not the Bills.  That's how thin the margin of the playoff berth was.  If Darnold dosen't get mono and/or we don't lose 17 players to the IR, it happens.

A part of me likes the fact that the Bills are getting the predictable and pedestrian favoritism; it'll make it that much easier for their owner to fire McDermott and cut Allen at the end of their 7 9 season.

SAR I

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Well, we went "11-5" last year and missed the playoffs so I don't see why we shouldn't make the playoffs this year.

I have the right to give Adam Gase a mandate if I choose to because I believe we are a playoff team.

You don't because you don't.

SAR I

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I must be missing something.  I don't recall you giving me likes for my posts last year proclaiming that we were going to surprise and make the playoffs.  In fact, I recall you thinking we were going to suck. 

Trust?  You don't trust this team, at least not for the last 8 years you haven't.  You just like to hear yourself whine.  Yes, let's all pity Beerfish because he trusted the Jets when Christopher Johnson guaranteed 13 wins, is that it?  Or is it when you thought the Jets would be 4-12 last year and when we went 7-9 it somehow didn't exceed your expectations? 

This SOJF playbook shtick has to stop.  Hate the team for 8 months, announce how they suck all preseason, then joyously roll around in glee when we have a rough campaign, then tell everyone how hurt you are?  How diehard you are?  It's pathetic. 

SAR I

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Best overall talent snd 2d best QB makes the Bills the odds on favorite.

Yet Sam and the wounded Jets had them soundly beaten for 50 minutes in September and then beat them properly in December.

The Bills playoff implosion, particularly Josh Allen, doesn't just go away.  And fringe playoff teams have a brief window before they go belly-up again, we know how few teams actually return to the tournament the following year.  It's the Jets turn to rise while the Pats and Bills take steps back. 

SAR I

4 hours ago, docdhc said:

Yes we want a playoff team we just don't want the owner making useless headlines by declaring some kind of mandate.  That is counter productive and no good, non meddling owner does something like that.  It creates needless distractions and doesn't improve our chances.   Do you really think Gase or the team will try harder or be more successful because Chris Johnson makes some needless declaration during the off season?  That seems ridiculous to me.

Exactly.

Adam Gase, Le'Veon Bell, CJ Mosley, these guys make huge money whether we win or not.  In today's NFL you want to play hard and win for your owner because he treats you well.  If he treats you like dirt, you shut down, protect your body, take the money, and get ready for your next job elsewhere.

SAR I

16 minutes ago, Vader said:

How about an AFC East mandate.

Like, dont lose week one at home to buffalo with a 16-0 lead with 3 minutes left in the third quarter. Or your fired. Mosley or no Mosley. 

Gase didn't give the fans a mandate after they humiliated him with airplanes and newspaper hit pieces.  He just put his head down, did his job, and rallied the team.

And can you name a single time in team history that a mandate actually worked?  (Hint: Never)

Christopher Johnson is building something here and it began with fixing a broken Ryan/Bowles culture and now moves into the stage where Douglas and Gase are given time to take a young team, mold it in their image, add pieces, get experience, and eventually make a run a-la the Eagles.  Patience is in the air.  Not knee-jerk firings to appease ignorant fans, especially those who couldn't be bothered to show up when we were playing top teams like the Raiders, Steelers, Dolphins, and Giants enroute to a 6-2 finish.  The days of Johnson appeasing the imaginary loyal Jets fan who just likes to hear himself whine and can't be bothered to spend $30 on a Stubhub ticket is over.  Thank God.

SAR I

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

All I'm saying is, as fans, be consistent.

If you feel the Johnson's are the ruin of our team and the roster is 4-12 caliber, get off of Gase's back as there's no way to judge him unless he loses the team outright. 

If you feel the Johnson's and the roster are good to go and we're legitimately ready for a playoff run, then fine, go ahead and hold Gase accountable for (what would be) underachieving.

Its where you get SOJF Eyeore's screaming about how terrible the Jets are as a team and then holding Gase accountable that there is a disconnect.  He proved a great deal last year.  That kind of adversity was quite a pressure-test.

SAR I

Show me where I'm being inconsistent.  O-line matters in real football.  The Jets O-line should be better or equal in 5 of 5 spots.  This means Bell should have more holes and Darnold should have more time.  If Herndon and Griffin return, there are zero exuses for Adam Gase and his offense to continue to perform the way Adam Gase's offense always performs.

Top half of the NFL or call Peyton and see if he'll give you a job that has nothing to do with the Jets.

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

In your mind perhaps, but not in reality.

The Bills were the Jets in blue uniforms last season, except with the good fortune of being perfectly healthy. 

at Jets
Dolphins
Bengals

If the Jets won those 3 games, we get the wildcard, not the Bills.  That's how thin the margin of the playoff berth was.  If Darnold dosen't get mono and/or we don't lose 17 players to the IR, it happens.

A part of me likes the fact that the Bills are getting the predictable and pedestrian favoritism; it'll make it that much easier for their owner to fire McDermott and cut Allen at the end of their 7 9 season.

SAR I

TAKEAWAY: If the Jets had won enough games to be the wildcard last year, they would've been the wildcard.

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

Gase didn't give the fans a mandate after they humiliated him with airplanes and newspaper hit pieces.  He just put his head down, did his job, and rallied the team.

And can you name a single time in team history that a mandate actually worked?  (Hint: Never)

Christopher Johnson is building something here and it began with fixing a broken Ryan/Bowles culture and now moves into the stage where Douglas and Gase are given time to take a young team, mold it in their image, add pieces, get experience, and eventually make a run a-la the Eagles.  Patience is in the air.  Not knee-jerk firings to appease ignorant fans, especially those who couldn't be bothered to show up when we were playing top teams like the Raiders, Steelers, Dolphins, and Giants enroute to a 6-2 finish.  The days of Johnson appeasing the imaginary loyal Jets fan who just likes to hear himself whine and can't be bothered to spend $30 on a Stubhub ticket is over.  Thank God.

SAR I

Like the "imaginary loyal Jets fan" who bragged about how many views the "NY Jets Draft Blunders" video he uploaded to YouTube received?:

Like the "imaginary loyal Jets fan" who claims that he was the one who created the video as well?:

image.thumb.png.dab4acac2ba7df3f1f2a84d76ed4b03e.png

Like the "imaginary loyal Jets fan" who has this as his profile pic?:

image.png.2512299ec7eb7adfa377717c8ed55df9.png

• Post of the Week 1

11 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

Unless Allen shows a miraculous  improvement in his accuracy,  they are as capable  of losing as they are winning games. 

Yes. They played the same sh—ty schedule last year place.  And he we had a legitimate kicker last year on weak one. The Bills and Jets would be a game apart. 
Let’s not make them our to be some type of power house. 

imo - it’s still the Pats division until someone takes it from them.  Brady wasnt great last year and they still dominated the division. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes. They played the same sh—ty schedule last year place.  And he we had a legitimate kicker last year on weak one. The Bills and Jets would be a game apart. 
Let’s not make them our to be some type of power house. 

imo - it’s still the Pats division until someone takes it from them.  Brady wasnt great last year and they still dominated the division. 

It was a two team division.  I don't  have to recount how poorly the Jets played but we also had Miami tanking to take a QB. It was just the Pats and Bills and the Pats did not walk over the Bills but Allen imo prevented them from winning one of the two games. 

• Upvote 1