Jadeveon Clowney Interested In Jets

Linked to several teams during what’s been a much longer free agency process than anticipated, Jadeveon Clowney may still be interested in a New York agreement. Weeks after he was believed to be open to a Giants deal, the free agent edge defender would give the Jets a good chance — if they were interested in signing him, Tony Pauline of ProFootballNetwork.com notes.

Jadeveon-Clowney-200x300.jpgRegarding the Jets’ potential interest, Pauline writes they are “fishing around” the former No. 1 overall pick, adding that a big-market team like the Jets intrigues Clowney. The Jets re-signed Jordan Jenkins in March and drafted an edge player in the third round (Florida’s Jabari Zuniga), but this still should be considered a need position.

With the deadline for 2020 free agent signings to count toward the 2021 compensatory formula passing earlier this week, Clowney would have a better chance of landing somewhere. But teams are still in a holding pattern of sorts with certain free agents — with the COVID-19 pandemic preventing them from having their medical personnel examine them.

Titans GM Jon Robinson said he would like to have his team’s medical staff clear Clowney before agreeing to terms (Twitter link via TitanInsider.com’s Terry McCormick). Clowney has dealt with persistent knee issues and battled a core muscle injury last season.

Clowney has been linked to the Seahawks, Titans and Browns this month. But no steam has picked up on a deal with any of these teams since the draft. The Jets hold just more than $18MM in cap space. Among potential Clowney suitors, the Browns’ NFL-leading $38MM-plus in cap room would give them the edge. Though, Clowney lowered his asking price weeks ago. He may have to accept a one-year deal and try his luck at free agency again next year.

6 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I think both he and his agent over played their hand this offseason.

Pride goeth before the fall...

Covid 19 and the inability for teams to look at him is why he isn’t signed nothing else.  It’s the hand he got dealt.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Covid 19 and the inability for teams to look at him is why he isn’t signed nothing else.  It’s the hand he got dealt.

Meh.

If you believe the part about teams wanting to have their own doctors examine him, you might be right.

To me, it reeks of agent fed BS. Plenty of guys with injury issues have signed or been traded this offseason. Look at Trent Williams for example.

You’re free to believe what you want, I’ll believe what I’ve seen.

• Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Winters is wet hot trash and expensive trash at that who yells at Sam on the sidelines.  Let him hit the street

The nerve of him!!! Yelling at Sammy...

he probably didn’t like the steak knives that Sammy gave him last year either. Total ingrate.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

It’s better then Leo’s who is getting that for one year from the Giants if not more.

two wrongs don't make a right.

i get he was a first selection.  but he's averaged less than 6 sacks a year and has missed many games.   And for a 1 year rental what does that really get us - will it make us a playoff team?

• Upvote 3