Jadeveon Clowney Interested In Jets

1 minute ago, GreenFish said:

1 Yr $15 million. Get it done Joe. He would complete our defense even if it’s for 1 year. With the shortened season, who the hell knows what could happen. Darnold could get hot for a few weeks. We may make a run for the big game. 

Yeah that the most I would do.  1 year 15 million is ok.  He will be playing for his next contract and we get a nice comp pick 

26 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

has his production been worth of $17mm or $15mm per year?

$15 sure. He’s been an elite run defender and a slightly above average pass rusher. If he stays healthy for 16 games, he’ll give 7-8 sacks and 15ish TFL.

Clowney is that Trey Flowers type edge rusher. How much were people willing to pay Flowers last year? Clowney is better than him, but comes with injury concerns.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

two wrongs don't make a right.

i get he was a first selection.  but he's averaged less than 6 sacks a year and has missed many games.   And for a 1 year rental what does that really get us - will it make us a playoff team?

We get all wrapped up in the name because he was a lottery pick. But the production hasn’t matched, especially sacks. This dude was paid to sack the QB, and we’re gonna pay him over 15 million a year? 

Pass. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

It's a buyer's market right now...How about 2 years for 28 mil, with half guaranteed, and with incentives could potentially make 6 million more.

I don’t even think you need to throw in the incentives. Maybe just a few more guaranteed $$$, but not many. 

• Thumb Down 1

I don't get this clowney obsession. He's a rotational player. Even as a rental at something like 15mill for 1 year...you're *hoping* he does better than he has for most of his career because he'll want a bigger contract..

This is like going six months without getting laid and porking someone you find repugnant. Sometimes, something isn't better than nothing. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

I don't get this clowney obsession. He's a rotational player. Even as a rental at something like 15mill for 1 year...you're *hoping* he does better than he has for most of his career because he'll want a bigger contract..

This is like going six months without getting laid and porking someone you find repugnant. Sometimes, something isn't better than nothing. 

I want him to be what he was his 3 seasons before he went to the Seahawks. Elite pressure and versatility and 8+ sacks a season. $15 million is a really good price for a guy that can play all over the front seven at a high level.

Just now, kdels62 said:

I want him to be what he was his 3 seasons before he went to the Seahawks. Elite pressure and versatility and 8+ sacks a season. $15 million is a really good price for a guy that can play all over the front seven at a high level.

We can save 7 million by cutting Winters.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He is not really a pash rusher and we are already STOUT against the run. He is just a name player. Would add very little to this team. Build from within

This

Signing the best corner available or going after big bad 91 on the Jaguars would be a better use of that money IMO, if we're looking to spend.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

43 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

$15 sure. He’s been an elite run defender and a slightly above average pass rusher. If he stays healthy for 16 games, he’ll give 7-8 sacks and 15ish TFL.

Clowney is that Trey Flowers type edge rusher. How much were people willing to pay Flowers last year? Clowney is better than him, but comes with injury concerns.

I think Flowers was overpaid but a solid player.   I think your description of him and injury concerns are spot on.   So basically we d be overpaying for a player similar to Flowers but with a much worse injury history .   Definitely an expensive gamble and especially when you cant examine the player.  We can find the money if we need to  .  But is he a solid team player and leader with intangibles that is worth all that dough?   

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Big bad 91 would also require giving up draft picks and a big long term contract.

I'd rather pay clowney for 1 year. 

I'd rather do neither but if I had to choose, I'd give up a draft pick for a proven pass rusher (but most definitely not a 1st), unless he's just been overrated due to all this. Sorry I just don't know how to spell his name so I am calling him 91.

Someone explain why he is an elite DE that warrants $15 million a year?  He has played a full season once in 6 years, has averaged 4 missed games a year, has never had 10 sacks and averages about 5-6 sacks a season and has had 40 solo tackles twice. This team does not need another overpaid run stuffer. Haven't we seen enough of this type of DL over the past few years.  Is there any wonder he is still on the street?  No thanks.  Let someone else pay him. There are reasons some players are repeatedly changing uniforms and it's not because they are performing at a high level or deserving of big money.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Jordan Jenkins gets 8 sacks a year, and is very good at setting the edge against the run. 

Jad Clowney might get eight sacks for the Jets, if he stays healthy, and is very good at setting the edge against the run. 

How much are each of these players going to make this season? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Jordan Jenkins gets 8 sacks a year, and is very good at setting the edge against the run. 

Jad Clowney might get eight sacks for the Jets, if he stays healthy, and is very good at setting the edge against the run. 

There’s a difference between setting the edge and blowing up RBs in the backfield though. Clowney is a much better run defender than Jenkins. Clowney in the 3 seasons prior to last averaged 18 TFL. Jenkins has 22 for his entire career. 

We got a good deal on Jenkins. He supposedly took a discount to stay with us. So it’s going to be hard to beat that value. I’m a Jenkins fan.

I wouldn’t be pro a long term deal because of the injuries. But there’s not much downside in a 1yr deal. Just opportunity cost really. We won’t be able to sign someone else like Logan Ryan. Not much out there any more.

1 hour ago, GreenFish said:

how many games does he miss per year on average?  

11 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

how did he do the last time he was playing for his contract?  

Look like I mean ruined before I’m not a fan of his and I’m not saying we should sign him.  I’m just saying if we did that’s my best case scenerio

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Difference is Clowney is capable of taking over games. He damn near singlehandedly beat San Fran late last season.

We’ve never seen Jenkins even remotely take over a game.

• Upvote 1

These types of rumors will die down over time. The league is used to shopping their overpriced merchandise in front of the Johnsons and their front office check writers who would have happily embraced the marketing gimmick for the next season. 

after this free agency and this draft, I think we finally have our own Tyrian Lannister keeping that bs out of the realm.