Jadeveon Clowney Interested In Jets

17 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I think both he and his agent over played their hand this offseason.

Pride goeth before the fall...

Especially given the questions around his health, combined with his fall off in production a year ago.  Throw in the problems with getting clearances from medical staffs due to COVID-19 and it was the wrong year for Clowney to hit FA and want to be as highly paid as he wanted to be

17 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Winters is wet hot trash and expensive trash at that who yells at Sam on the sidelines.  Let him hit the street

His performance has been poor, but I still give him respect for playing through painful injury.  The Jets doctors told Osemele he could play with no risk of further damage to his shoulder.  Despite that, he didn't try to gut it out.  There is also some indication he may have already known about the injury and harbored the plan that he wasn't planning on playing.  He took the cash and puss'ed out.  At least Winters did what most of us do when we are not 100 %.  He still came to work... Anyway... With the manpower the Jets have now, it would be smart business to let Winters go in order to save that 7.5 million even if we was playing at an average level. 

14 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I believe it to be the exact opposite.  He’s actually a very good, disruptive player.  

He didn’t live up to the hype surrounding him so everyone thinks he just stinks.  He’s one of the better defensive players a in the league, certainly not what was expected of him, but I’m not sure anyone could have lived up to that.  Watch him play, he lives in the backfield.   

He would absolutely make this team better.  Isn’t that what matters?  Bringing in good players to make the team better?

You nailed it here.  He is incredibly disruptive.  Would be an immediate boost to this defense to get him.  He's got to be the guy here.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I'd rather take my chances with Huff and Zuniga to tell you the truth.  

It would help them and the Jets to bring him in.  Those guys are not going to be ready from day 1 and they are raw.  Relying exclusively on them in 2020 isn't very wise.  A 1yr or 2 yr deal for Clowney is perfect for us.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Some other no name non verified twitter account says the titans are officially out on Clowney. No idea what’s real or not, but if Seattle is out and now Tennessee (if true) who else besides the jets have been linked to this guy? He might have 0 market and fall into our laps dirt cheap. 

cheap 1 year coming right up, sir!  Good for Huff and Zuniga to have him here for a yr or 2.

long money? Short would be better but OK.

Long years? No that would be a mistake given his injury history.  This franchise is not the AFLAC of the NFL, particularly for players who come from other teams.  We have enough problems managing to avoid making this mistake with our own players when their skill set is already in decline or in serious question. 

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Our fans are hilarious. Just addicted to shiny new toys.

Signing Clowney on this kind of money makes no sense for a team who aren’t looking to win now. He’s still a free agent precisely because he’s not an elite pass rusher looking elite pass rusher money. Every team in the league would take him “on the cheap”. He’s a good player but more of a glorified Calvin Pace than a John Abraham. We already have our own defensive player asking for more than he’s worth and people want to go chasing another. If it came down to Clowney or Adams it’s the latter and it’s not really close. And I’m not an Adams fanboy at all.

What does signing Clowney give us exactly? An elite defence for a year to maybe get us 9 wins? Then what? It would be an irresponsible signing on so many levels. I would lose just about all faith in Douglas if he went and blew our cap space on a guy teams are actively avoiding - well managed teams with more to gain than us.

Do not want for $20m per or $15m per. Just let him move on elsewhere and stick to the rebuild. 

I believe we can be better than a 9 win team this year with the right tools.  If we have the cap space for a 1-2 yr deal, then his presence will boost this defense and it would be good to have him here with the new shiny toys because he is a very good team mate and club house guy from what I read.  What is not to like?  Unless all you do is count sacks and totally ignore defensive disruption.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Especially given the questions around his health, combined with his fall off in production a year ago.  Throw in the problems with getting clearances from medical staffs due to COVID-19 and it was the wrong year for Clowney to hit FA and want to be as highly paid as he wanted to be

And if the Jets can cash in and take advantage of all that and get him on a cheap 1 - 2yr deal...  make it so,  JD!!!!  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Our fans are hilarious. Just addicted to shiny new toys.

Signing Clowney on this kind of money makes no sense for a team who aren’t looking to win now. He’s still a free agent precisely because he’s not an elite pass rusher looking elite pass rusher money. Every team in the league would take him “on the cheap”. He’s a good player but more of a glorified Calvin Pace than a John Abraham. We already have our own defensive player asking for more than he’s worth and people want to go chasing another. If it came down to Clowney or Adams it’s the latter and it’s not really close. And I’m not an Adams fanboy at all.

What does signing Clowney give us exactly? An elite defence for a year to maybe get us 9 wins? Then what? It would be an irresponsible signing on so many levels. I would lose just about all faith in Douglas if he went and blew our cap space on a guy teams are actively avoiding - well managed teams with more to gain than us.

Do not want for $20m per or $15m per. Just let him move on elsewhere and stick to the rebuild. 

This is nonsense.

I admire your optimism and your selective memory of last season but the reality is that we’re not a good team. The amount of ifs and buts that you have to use to qualify your optimism is quite revealing. If Quinnen Williams steps up, ff Mims/Perriman steps up, if Darnold gets protected, if Gase stops being trash – All these things would be great but there’s as much chance that they don’t happen and little chance they all happen. It’s the Jets – When do these things ever work out? Osemele and Kalil were supposed to be upgrades too. This is exactly the sort of bullsh*t we’ve been doing over the last 10 years, Revis being the most obvious example.  

Clowney is not the elite pass rusher his demands would suggest or anything close. If he was he’d be signed. He’s not the missing piece to an otherwise dominant Jets defence or anything like that. He would be an upgrade but we’ll still have problems, enough problems to stop us being a great team. The goal is not to make the playoffs now at all costs – it’s to build a good team for a period of time that can contend for the Superbowl, something Douglas thankfully seems to realise. Why do you think a successful organisation like Seattle let Clowney walk in the first place? 

The Jets are rebuilding. We still have one of the worst offensive lines and WR units until we see otherwise. There’s as many questions as there are answers with this team. It’s not the time to out and commit insane money to a good but not great defensive player. If we start to show signs this year that we’re close, if some of the uncertain players show they’re legit then you can entertain making the short term moves that may put you over the top. Absolutely not now. 

14 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I believe we can be better than a 9 win team this year with the right tools.  If we have the cap space for a 1-2 yr deal, then his presence will boost this defense and it would be good to have him here with the new shiny toys because he is a very good team mate and club house guy from what I read.  What is not to like?  Unless all you do is count sacks and totally ignore defensive disruption.

I believe we can be a 9 win team if everything clicks and people over perform. I also think we could have the first overall pick if they don't. 

I assume you're going to let Adams walk then? Because I can't imagine he will be happy to see the Jets invest $17-$20m a year in another player while he's in contract limbo playing for peanuts. He'd probably holdout. So to give him what he wants you would have a ridiculous amount of money tied up in two players. Neither of whom are proving the indispensable role that money would suggest. 

I'm not ignoring his disruptive qualities, although you're grossly overstating them. There is reason two teams have decided not to pay him in as many years. Teams who know him better than your or I. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

wow... so now we must consider the Adams consequeces to every single NY Jets transaction?  LOL.  Adams is going to be Adams whether the Jets sign Clowney and pay him or not. 

I sure hope JD doesn't make his personnel decisions thinking "How will Jamal react?" That would indeed be a sad state of affairs and circus like.

If JD is smart he considers what his moves do to impact the top 10 players on the team.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

wow... so now we must consider the Adams consequeces to every single NY Jets transaction?  LOL.  Adams is going to be Adams whether the Jets sign Clowney and pay him or not. 

I sure hope JD doesn't make his personnel decisions thinking "How will Jamal react?" That would indeed be a sad state of affairs and circus like.

Literally every big signing effects the others. That’s how a salary cap works. It’s allocation of resources.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ECURB said:

If JD is smart he considers what his moves do to impact the top 10 players on the team.

I don't disagree, but let's not let the first concern be "How will Jamal feel?"  LOL

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Literally every big signing effects the others. That’s how a salary cap works. It’s allocation of resources.

Talking about "How will Jamal react" is more than just a cap convo.  We are now on the analyst's couch diving into the psychology of Jamal.  Good topic for a book or a psych class research paper. Not so much for JD.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

I keep reading this BS & im thinking, why don't we want to win now? The Jets played right with Buffalo last year, THE 2nd BEST TEAM IN THE AFC EAST & a team that went to the playoffs! And we did it with holes all over the roster that were patched up this offseason.

With Miami rebuilding & Brady moving on for Stidham, I'm trying to figure out why Jet fans don't think we'll be trying to win, or are not ready to win? 

There are just a few Elite teams in the NFL & a bunch of also rans, I want this team to get in the Playoffs again! I want Sam Darnold to get PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE! That's how careers are made!

The Jets in the playoffs are no walk over if Darnold gets protected & gets hot, the Cowboys I'm positive didn't think they were leaving Metlife last year as losers. 

Clowney adds that other level of pressure you need to disrupt an offense. Poo poo his sacks all you want but whenever I've watched games with Clowney on the field he's been in the backfield DISRUPTING. 

IF Quinnen Williams steps it up, you add Clowney to other disruptors like Mosely & Adams that's a lot for opposing defenses to worry about. The Texans NEVER had a group of LBs as good as the Jets should be this year. Mosely healthy is 1 of the 5 best defensive players in the entire league. 

JD added huge depth at CB (youth), added Davis (a incredible athlete with great range), we already have a developing youthful interior Dline with Shepard, Foley & Phillips. 

F*ck this not ready BS, let's go out & take this damn division! 

Hell yah. This is exactly how I feel. If Darnold balls out we can make noise. Clowney makes our defense playoff caliber. 

I say this to those Jets fans who want to wait to win

image.gif.b6c96a930533340573ec89e94693ca6e.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Jets should cut Winters (saving $7.5 million in cap space), extend Jamal, and sign Clowney.  Should be enough cap space to do that.

I am losing my mind but when I read this I thought you were saying get rid of Williams. I was like why would we fire the DC. 

Anyhow back to isolation for me.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ECURB said:

We will have to see how the new draft picks play out but before that they didn't have ten top players lol.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jetster said:

I keep reading this BS & im thinking, why don't we want to win now?

I'd love to win now, but not at the risk of mortgaging the future.

If you're talking about a 3+ year deal for Clowney, I'm out.  If you're talking about a 1-year deal and a compensatory pick, OK. 

Odds are Clowney isn't putting this team over the top.  Vegas has us as a 6-7 win team and finishing 3rd.  Darnold would have to really explode for Vegas to be off by 3+ wins.  They don't get this stuff way wrong very often.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

This is nonsense.

I admire your optimism and your selective memory of last season but the reality is that we’re not a good team. The amount of ifs and buts that you have to use to qualify your optimism is quite revealing. If Quinnen Williams steps up, ff Mims/Perriman steps up, if Darnold gets protected, if Gase stops being trash – All these things would be great but there’s as much chance that they don’t happen and little chance they all happen. It’s the Jets – When do these things ever work out? Osemele and Kalil were supposed to be upgrades too. This is exactly the sort of bullsh*t we’ve been doing over the last 10 years, Revis being the most obvious example.  

Clowney is not the elite pass rusher his demands would suggest or anything close. If he was he’d be signed. He’s not the missing piece to an otherwise dominant Jets defence or anything like that. He would be an upgrade but we’ll still have problems, enough problems to stop us being a great team. The goal is not to make the playoffs now at all costs – it’s to build a good team for a period of time that can contend for the Superbowl, something Douglas thankfully seems to realise. Why do you think a successful organisation like Seattle let Clowney walk in the first place? 

The Jets are rebuilding. We still have one of the worst offensive lines and WR units until we see otherwise. There’s as many questions as there are answers with this team. It’s not the time to out and commit insane money to a good but not great defensive player. If we start to show signs this year that we’re close, if some of the uncertain players show they’re legit then you can entertain making the short term moves that may put you over the top. Absolutely not now. 

The goal for any team should be to be competitive year to year while building for the future.  You do that by drafting well and bringing in veteran stop gaps to fill holes. You can't go all veteran and you can't go all young guys.  There has to be a happy medium.  And nobody would've said the Bills were a playoff team prior to last season.  So you never really know. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you're talking about a 3+ year deal for Clowney, I'm out.  If you're talking about a 1-year deal and a compensatory pick, OK. 

Odds are Clowney isn't putting this team over the top.  Vegas has us as a 6-7 win team and finishing 3rd.  Darnold would have to really explode for Vegas to be off by 3+ wins.  They don't get this stuff way wrong very often.

Last year Vegas was off in the by at least 2.5 games for the following teams.

Bengals, Redskins, Lions, Charger, Panthers, Browns, Bills, Seahawks, Packers, 49ers, Saints, Ravens. 

Vegas measures hype based on national consensus. It has value but it’s not even close to fool proof. This team if the OL gels has a real chance to make the playoffs.

99 RAMS

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

For me, if it's affordable and to our terms i'm in.

But he's wanting the money, but the Draft didn't help him. Gregg Williams would help him.

But he's not coming here, I think (rightly so) that Joe will take his time and make this franchise change from the Macc "throw your money at any JAG", and try to be methodical in spending.

On 4/30/2020 at 3:18 PM, jetsons said:

15m per... I'll take him... If Clowney really wants to up his game he'll have no better coach than Gregg Williams.

I wouldnt pay him 10m.  Dude is 5yr old hype and nothing else.  Jets are supposed to lock up significant cap space for a pass rusher who had half as many sacks as our safety last year?  

If Williams can make a that jabroni a stud pass rusher, then he can take a $3mill/yr DE and make him a stud.

• Thumb Down 1

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Were you serious with this post?

You can’t possibly believe we shouldn’t try and win because Vegas said we don’t have a good chance.  Truthfully, do you believe that?

We should absolutely try and win.  I mean just last year a team went from the first overall pick to the Super Bowl.

We have our QB, a #1 WR, a new Oline (that needs to gel) and young fresh legs  as a RB.

The defense is solid as is right now - add Clowney and it can be a top 5 unit - at worst I would expect top 10.  

With a bit of luck staying healthy and a couple of draft picks contribute, this team can for sure sneak into the playoffs.  Get in the playoffs and who knows what happens once you’re there.

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2020 at 10:21 AM, Dcat said:

Jamal:  "We need more dawgs!"

*** Jets sign a dawg ***

Jamal:  "Oh HELL no they paid him WHAT???"

• Post of the Week 1