Jump to content

To the Rest of the NFL: “The Jets Are Open For Business”!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Jets got good value from their trades. Looking forward to see how JD handles trading  Avery Williamson for a vet WR or future pick, 2nd draft when Camp cut-downs happen, and the Adams extension/trade. 

 

one of the things that jumped out when I looked into Ozzy Newsome's drafts/trades etc ... was that they made a ton of moves for both players and picks outside of the draft week itself.

so, whether anything happens specifically with A Williamson or Adams or not ... I would expect more moves (large or small) than normally occur, will still happen before and during the season

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Willams trade was "Gold". I actually wish JD ran the 2019 draft..... we would be that much further ahead than where we are now. The OL would have been better last year and we probably would have traded RA to the Eagles during that draft. Would have had another rd. 1 or 2 WR on our team going into his 2nd year.

The Johnson boys once again procrastinating and losing us another year in yr. 8 of the rebuild.

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 11 minutes ago, MindOverMatter said:

    I wonder how JD would have handled the 2019 draft. Something tells me that neither Q.Williams or Polite would be Jets. 

    I don't think Trevon Wesco would be a Jet. JD probably would have been able to make a trade down from the #3 pick.
  • Bless Austin? I don't think so, but he did flash last year.
  •  
  • (3) Round 1, Pick 3 (3) Quinnen Williams. ...
  • (68) Round 3, Pick 4 (68) Jachai Polite. ...
  • (93) Round 3, Pick 29 (93) Chuma Edoga. ...
  • (122) Round 4, Pick 19 (122) Trevon Wesco. ...
  • (158) Round 5, Pick 19 (158) Blake Cashman. ...
  • (198) Round 6, Pick 24 (198) Blessuan Austin.
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could you imagine if Maccagnan was the GM this year? I’d wondered if Epenesa was high enough on the board to be the guy at 48 but they knew it made absolutely no sense and were happy to move down for a reasonable offer.

“Mike, why another defensive lineman with the 48th pick? Did you consider another position or perhaps trading down?”

”Well a Rich, we did have some conversations with other teams that were interested in moving up. But we had the Iowa kid really high up on our board....there were scenarios we would have considered him in the first round actually. And so when you value a player that highly...no one came to the table with enough of an offer for us to give up the opportunity to draft someone of that caliber, and so we’re really happy with the player we got there.”

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft/rounds/_/round/2

 

Look at the rankings and descriptions of each player. 

Shenault, Hamler, Claypool, Van Jefferson. All taken before Mims but all ranked considerably below him. He was the next best receiver, by ranking, behind Pittman and for what we need in a WR I would have taken Mims skill set over Pittman.

 

Ranked higher than Reagor taken at pick 21. 

104228.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop

6'3"207 lbsBaylor
8POS RK      46OVR RK     85GRADE
 

dm_200417_nfl_mims_draft_reel.jpgplay

0:39

Denzel Mims' NFL draft profile

Former Baylor WR Denzel Mims' highlights show a terrific athlete who is a dangerous deep threat.

Pre-Draft Analysis

Mims has a rare blend of size, top-end speed and length. He has the second gear to take the top off the coverage and does a nice job of stacking defenders on vertical routes. He runs hard and flashes the ability to break tackles after the catch. His frame and body control make him a threat in the red zone. -- Steve Muench

Watch: Mims thinks he has always been underrated

Post-Draft Analysis

Robby Anderson signed with Carolina and Quincy Enunwa is coming off his second major neck injury. Free-agent addition Breshad Perriman is coming off his best season and Jamison Crowder is a good slot receiver, but Perriman's ability to have continued success remains to be seen. Mims gives the Jets a receiver with the talent to improve a passing attack that finished 29th in the league in yardage. QB Sam Darnold should be pleased with what general manager Joe Douglas has done with his first two picks. -- Steve Muench

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MindOverMatter said:

I wonder how JD would have handled the 2019 draft. Something tells me that neither Q.Williams or Polite would be Jets. 

 

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:
  • I don't think Trevon Wesco would be a Jet. JD probably would have been able to make a trade down from the #3 pick.
  • Bless Austin? I don't think so, but he did flash last year.
  •  
  • (3) Round 1, Pick 3 (3) Quinnen Williams. ...
  • (68) Round 3, Pick 4 (68) Jachai Polite. ...
  • (93) Round 3, Pick 29 (93) Chuma Edoga. ...
  • (122) Round 4, Pick 19 (122) Trevon Wesco. ...
  • (158) Round 5, Pick 19 (158) Blake Cashman. ...
  • (198) Round 6, Pick 24 (198) Blessuan Austin.

I think it's pretty clear he'd have drafted Josh Allen or Jonah Williams ahead of Quinnen; positional need plays a much bigger role in Douglas' approach to the early rounds of the draft than it did for Mac. Also unlikely that he'd have taken Wesco. At that point in the draft who knows who the pick would've been, been there no way Douglas drafts a TE who had run a 4.89. If TE was the pick there, maybe Moreau? But there's really no way to tell

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Some would argue that the value of a future pick should be depreciated by one round per year. So since the 2021 Patriots sixth rounder is one year away, it has the value of a seventh round pick. I don’t really agree with that so we will value it the same as New England’s sixth rounder this year.

I liked the article, but that bit cracked me up....  "let me just explain here how I'm fudging a bit to make the Jets look better." Lol. 

I do, however, agree with the premise that the Jimmy Johnson chart is top heavy, and that teams trading down generally do better value-wise than teams trading up. That probably becomes more true as you get out of the very top picks where the separation between prospects is often much greater. 

The thing with both trades is that I don't see any players anyone was "banging the table for," between #48 and #59, or #101 and #125. In the second round, I liked Mims better than Van Jefferson or Claypool. I don't think any of the guys who came off between #101 and #120 were on anyone's radar that I recall. For those two trades, they got Morgan, Clark, a future sixth round pick, and really didn't miss out on much. 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, slats said:

I liked the article, but that bit cracked me up....  "let me just explain here how I'm fudging a bit to make the Jets look better." Lol. 

I do, however, agree with the premise that the Jimmy Johnson chart is top heavy, and that teams trading down generally do better value-wise than teams trading up. That probably becomes more true as you get out of the very top picks where the separation between prospects is often much greater. 

The thing with both trades is that I don't see any players anyone was "banging the table for," between #48 and #59, or #101 and #125. In the second round, I liked Mims better than Van Jefferson or Claypool. I don't think any of the guys who came off between #101 and #120 were on anyone's radar that I recall. For those two trades, they got Morgan, Clark, a future sixth round pick, and really didn't miss out on much. 

Agreed on Mims assessment and at #101 and #129 it all comes down to that player that fits your system or locker-room best.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

the actual draft position value doesn't matter as much as the value of the player they picked with it.  it seems like douglas did a good job in selecting players. he filled a bunch of team needs and got guys who can play and want to play.  i suppose you can what if his picks to death.  wirfs and becton are going to be tied together as far as performance is concerned.  but there are some very good reasons why becton was picked and now we just have to see how he does.  on the downside 3 of the picks are coming off injuries that may or may not affect the way they play.  we all hope these have been evaluated properly.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

 

I think it's pretty clear he'd have drafted Josh Allen or Jonah Williams ahead of Quinnen;

He would have probably traded down from 3, is my guess.  Macc had offers to do just that and didn't pull the trigger.  

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it’s always questionable to speculate what a GM would’ve done had he been the GM at the time. For all the praise we’re heaping on Douglas, let’s not forget that the cake just went into the oven. We don’t know yet. 
 

Furthermore, as much as I like JD, his involvement with the Eagles drafts in recent years have been mixed. Some good picks, some bad picks. I know we all want to anoint this guy our savior, but let’s pump the brakes a little. Jets fans have a long history of praising a GM hiring before they throw rocks at him on the way out the door. The same could be said for HC’s and OC’s. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

I think it’s always questionable to speculate what a GM would’ve done had he been the GM at the time. For all the praise we’re heaping on Douglas, let’s not forget that the cake just went into the oven. We don’t know yet. 
 

Furthermore, as much as I like JD, his involvement with the Eagles drafts in recent years have been mixed. Some good picks, some bad picks. I know we all want to anoint this guy our savior, but let’s pump the brakes a little. Jets fans have a long history of praising a GM hiring before they throw rocks at him on the way out the door. The same could be said for HC’s and OC’s. 

Yes and no. Yes, nobody is going to know the true outcome for a while. But I can't remember a draft from this team, since 2006, where I was happier with the process and the overall selections immediately after the draft. Does that mean Douglas is guaranteed to be a great GM? No. Oddly, "does things Doggin94it likes" isn't necessarily the most useful metric, that 2006 draft included relatively poor second and third round picks and, unfortunately, was Tannenbaum's high-water mark as a drafter, in his first ever draft. 

But here's what I'm seeing from Douglas that makes me less inclined to pump the breaks:

1) Great bloodlines: he learned under two of the best general managers in NFL history, including very possibly the best of all time in Ozzie Newsome. And he came into the job ready, not as an over promotion skipping necessary experiences. That's a big deal

2) Good feel for the market: both in free agency and the draft, Douglas has shown but he understands what the market will support and what it won't. He didn't overpay for free agents, correctly judging the markets for guys like Poole and Jenkins (who people expected to get more money) and making trades that were, at worst fair value for the Jets. And lining up and then backing away from the jaguars trade is a terrific sign. 

3) Good processes: The new grading system, which focuses on traits and scheme fit rather than overall "talent", the new approach of running multiple worst-case scenario drills to prepare for changing circumstances in the draft, the prioritization of upside over floor at the back end of the draft, the post-draft self-scout - it's all important and all correct. 

Basically, yeah, the good outcome is great. But what really has me excited is all the environmental stuff that strongly suggests the good outcome wasn't a fluke

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

Jets fans have a long history of praising a GM hiring before they throw rocks at him on the way out the door. 

Our praise or criticism of a GM has zero to do with whether he succeeds or fails.  He's done things Macc would never do and targeted the types of players Macc would never target, with an emphasis on athleticism and versatility.  That's good enough for me for now.

Either way, he's in Year 1 of a 6-year deal.  He's not going anywhere any time soon.  Might as well be optimistic.  What does it hurt?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Doggin94it said:

Yes and no. Yes, nobody is going to know the true outcome for a while. But I can't remember a draft from this team, since 2006, where I was happier with the process and the overall selections immediately after the draft.

This, especially.  The PROCESS by which Douglas has been making moves has made a ton of logical sense.  So at least if he misses on even half of the swings he's taken so far, at least he's been taking calculated risks that have some rationale behind them.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Look JD addressed the OL situation in an intelligent manner something neither of the previous GMs even remotely tried to do!  That alone separates JD from the recent past!

To act like Idzik or Mac would have done the same thing is preposterous in my opinion. 

  • Post of the Week 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...