Becton quote at combine

17 minutes ago, Dcat said:

“Before all this stuff was shut down, we got to sit down in Indy and go through some film with him. One of the first plays [offensive line coach] Frank [Pollack] had on, it was a run play and he’s pushing this guy. I mean, they’re 20 yards down the field. He might have given him a little late shove there … and Frank was kind of like, ‘a pretty good finish but a little late here.’ He goes, ‘Well, he should have thought about going down.’ I was like, ‘I like this guy.’ This guy has something to him. This guy has some nastiness to him. He’s the type of guy you want to be around.”

Personal Foul, Unsportsmanlike Conduct, Number 73.  Fifteen Yard Penalty.  First Down! 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

These are ridiculous.  The defender getting pushed almost completely off the left side of the screen as the RB runs to the right (Play 7). lol

Plays 2 and 5 show his ability to head out to the 2nd and even 3rd level and pick off defenders.  This was something I was concerned about until @RobR convinced me Becton was suitable for this.  An important ability in a ZBS.

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

These are ridiculous.  The defender getting pushed almost completely off the left side of the screen as the RB runs to the right (Play 7). lol

Plays 2 and 5 show his ability to head out to the 2nd and even 3rd level and pick off defenders.  This was something I was concerned about until @RobR convinced me Becton was suitable for this.  An important ability in a ZBS.

I don't know.  I was somewhat underwhelmed with most of the highlights I saw.  I'm sure he will be fine.  I'm no Oline expert and I haven't watched much, but they seemed to cover him with the TE most of the time and he doesn't seem the most aware to me.  He seems like he locks on his assignment okay, but he doesn't generally look like he knows what's going on beyond that.  Maybe that is intentional though.

• WTF? 1

28 minutes ago, Paradis said:

"Sometimes you gotta let 'em know..."

Is what a Linebacker told me when I asked him why he BLEW UP the Running Back when he was about to step out of bounds. 

This is that kind of quote, and I love it. 

Ha.  Dominator got in trouble for that in non-contact DB drills in college.  You were supposed to string the RB out and he would step out of bounds.  I was young and undersized and I wrecked the kid.  Man, I got an earful.  I saw the kid in the dining hall later in the week and he admitted he was trying to lower his shoulder on me.  No hard feelings.  I think the coaches were mostly bothered that I was all red in the face pointing and repeatedly screaming "NOW YOU KNOW!" at him when they grabbed my facemask to discipline me. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Ha.  Dominator got in trouble for that in non-contact DB drills in college.  You were supposed to string the RB out and he would step out of bounds.  I was young and undersized and I wrecked the kid.  Man, I got an earful.  I saw the kid in the dining hall later in the week and he admitted he was trying to lower his shoulder on me.  No hard feelings.  I think the coaches were mostly bothered that I was all red in the face pointing and repeatedly screaming "NOW YOU KNOW!" at him when they grabbed my facemask to discipline me. 

lol, awesome.... i played DB too, and got mostly lit up.... but damn, 5'8 and 170 never looked so good ;)

A mammoth sized tackle who plays nasty through the whistle.  Pushes them backwards...punishes them until they go down.  This will get into the heads of defenders...who have to line up against a Beast like Becton.  Mentally...they'll be waving a white flag...as timidity and defeatism seeps in.

I'm loving this player more now...as I envision his mean nasty demeaner on that football field.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I don't get the question.  O-linemen get called for late hits.  And wear #73.  What am I missing brosef?

It's the first down part.  But it could result in a 1st and 25 for the offense if its a unnecessary roughness on a 1st & 10.  

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

We've heard a lot about culture with Joe D lately.  "Culture" can be a bit of a vague term and there are hundreds of adjectives that can be used to fit with a good culture.  But the quote above speaks specifically to competitiveness.  The guys we seem to be getting are competitors who don't stop until (and sometimes after) the whistle.  We got a little sense of this with the post-pick call to Denzel Mims by Douglas when Mims talked about the chip on his shoulder and "making teams pay."  This dude wants to exact some revenge on teams that passed on him.  Becton just wants to f*cking kill people. lol  I love the attitude we're looking for these days.

all true but it was a Gase quote.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, GreenReaper said:

A mammoth sized tackle who plays nasty through the whistle.  Pushes them backwards...punishes them until they go down.  This will get into the heads of defenders...who have to line up against a Beast like Becton.  Mentally...they'll be waving a white flag...as timidity and defeatism seeps in.

I'm loving this player more now...as I envision his mean nasty demeaner on that football field.

Easy there!  There have been many great Offensive Linemen over the years, but I can only think of one who owned the minds and souls of defenders who faced him and I am not going to invoke his name at this time.  I love the idea of Becton becoming that, and he certainly has the mass and demeanor, but I'd like to see him play a few downs before I get THAT excited.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

competitiveness

Good observation, I believe you are right it’s definitely something they look for.

And it should be, we have all seen the guy who could grab nickel off the top of the backboard flake out after HS while the 6th man worked his ass off to get to any college to keep playing and compete for everything every step of the way.

Guys who should never have played a pro sport, David Eckstein, but damn that man worked harder then everyone.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Easy there!  There have been many great Offensive Linemen over the years, but I can only think of one who owned the minds and souls of defenders who faced him and I am not going to invoke his name at this time.  I love the idea of Becton becoming that, and he certainly has the mass and demeanor, but I'd like to see him play a few downs before I get THAT excited.

Lol...you're probably right.  Locked up in quarantine gets me kind of hyper-excited.

Guess I just feel...Jets are over due to finally hit it out of the park at the OL position.

Becton certainly has the talent to be special.  Hope he lives up to that potential.

2 hours ago, Dcat said:

“Before all this stuff was shut down, we got to sit down in Indy and go through some film with him. One of the first plays [offensive line coach] Frank [Pollack] had on, it was a run play and he’s pushing this guy. I mean, they’re 20 yards down the field. He might have given him a little late shove there … and Frank was kind of like, ‘a pretty good finish but a little late here.’ He goes, ‘Well, he should have thought about going down.’ I was like, ‘I like this guy.’ This guy has something to him. This guy has some nastiness to him. He’s the type of guy you want to be around.”

I think JN should accomodate @Dcat  a VIP meeting with Becton, you deserve his autograph as his numero #1 fan. 

16 minutes ago, 82nd Airborne said:

I think JN should accomodate @Dcat  a VIP meeting with Becton, you deserve his autograph as his numero #1 fan. 

I can't.  I wanted them to draft Cee Dee.  Of course, I do see the error of my ways after the fact.  It's why I am not a candidate to run an NFL team

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know.  I was somewhat underwhelmed with most of the highlights I saw.  I'm sure he will be fine.  I'm no Oline expert and I haven't watched much, but they seemed to cover him with the TE most of the time and he doesn't seem the most aware to me.  He seems like he locks on his assignment okay, but he doesn't generally look like he knows what's going on beyond that.  Maybe that is intentional though.

Agreed. I've seen a few plays where he is so intent on dominating his opponent that he overblocks to the sideline, taking away a potential running lane. Of course, the RB and other OL share some responsibility there

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Pride of Sonoma State

Clark plays with a similar edge and also works until the end of the play and them some.  He's more of a project but has enough upside that he could turn out to be a bit of a steal when all is said and done.  Coincidentally, he and Becton work out together and are reportedly very close.

• Upvote 1