5th Year Options for 2017 Draft Class

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The news has been coming in over the past week or so.  Not sure if we have a single thread to track it but here's news on Corey Davis, WR who the Titans DECLINED to pick up for the 5th year.

387281013_ScreenShot2020-05-01at10_36_41AM.png.525da07600a34c92f5e736568cba28e4.png

"Sign this Bust!"

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, themeangreenkillingmachine said:

You can make arguments about some of the players drafted after Adams, but the 4/5 players selected before him failed to live up to expectations. 

the middle of that 1st round was pretty solid

Adams' is probably the 3rd best player in that Top 10 behind Mahomes and McCaffrey.  I'd put Myles Garrett and Mike Williams just behind him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Adams' is probably the 3rd best player in that Top 10 behind Mahomes and McCaffrey.  I'd put Myles Garrett and Mike Williams just behind him.

I'd have Garrett well ahead of him tbh. He's a top 5 pass rusher. Just a psychopath. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

Here’s another one The 49ers will turn down Solomon Thomas‘ fifth-year option, as Tom Pelissero of NFL.com tweets. This was the expected move – Thomas has been a letdown for SF since being selected No. 3 overall back in 2017. 

#3 overall pick at a DLine position.  Let's hope ours works out much better.  I think it will!

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

1475217504_ScreenShot2020-05-01at10_53_18AM.thumb.png.f3cfab5cc3de7abb8cb6d4d677a9c7a2.png

Look at the difference between being a Top 10 pick and those outside.  This is another reason why Becton at #11 was a great get.  Mahomes and Watson have a ~ $7M difference.

:cool:

Good point.   5th year option on a player drafted in the top 10 is the average salary of the 10 highest paid players at that position, the rest of the first round selections are paid the average of the 3rd to 25th highest paid players at their position.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, sec101row23 said:

Good point.   5th year option on a player drafted in the top 10 is the average salary of the 10 highest paid players at that position, the rest of the first round selections are paid the average of the 3rd to 25th highest paid players at their position.  

Yes but that salary is only for 1 year. Generally if a team wants to keep the player, they will sign them to a large multi year contract before their final year of their rookie contract. 

but it does make a difference if a team is 50/50 on exercising the option because the player still hasn’t lived up to their potential. 

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

The news has been coming in over the past week or so.  Not sure if we have a single thread to track it but here's news on Corey Davis, WR who the Titans DECLINED to pick up for the 5th year.

387281013_ScreenShot2020-05-01at10_36_41AM.png.525da07600a34c92f5e736568cba28e4.png

good draft i have a felling that joe dougles could be the missin

Top 10 Players from this draft (Positional Value) 

1) Pat Mahomes

2) DeShaun Watson

3) Myles Garrett

4) TreDavious White 

5) TJ Watt 

6) Marshon Lattimore 

7) Christian McCaffrey  

8 ) Jamal Adams

9) Ryan Ramcyzk 

10) Marlon Humphrey 

2 hours ago, JetFan20 said:

Top 10 Players from this draft (Positional Value) 

1) Pat Mahomes

2) DeShaun Watson

3) Myles Garrett

4) TreDavious White 

5) TJ Watt 

6) Marshon Lattimore 

7) Christian McCaffrey  

8 ) Jamal Adams

9) Ryan Ramcyzk 

10) Marlon Humphrey 

Take Lattimore and Humphrey off.

Kamara needs to be on this list.  As well as either Eddie Jackson, Kareem Hunt, JuJu Smith-Schuster or George Kittle.  Take your pick.

What a loaded draft class this was.  And we took 2 Safeties.

6 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Mahomes>>>>>McCaffery>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Garrett > Adams >>>Williams

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Take Lattimore and Humphrey off.

Kamara needs to be on this list.  As well as either Eddie Jackson, Kareem Hunt, JuJu Smith-Schuster or George Kittle.  Take your pick.

What a loaded draft class this was.  And we took 2 Safeties.

I was only grading the first round. For a loaded draft class there were a lot of busts in the first round. 

Outside of the ten players I listed and Jonathan Allen not great.

Lattimore was the best CB in the game in 2018

On 5/1/2020 at 1:20 PM, Rhg1084 said:

So the guys whose options weren’t picked up will be free agents next year? 

Correct.  Unless they somehow get extended or tagged in some manner, which are both very unlikely since the team has already signaled it doesn't think they're as valuable as the slotted 5th year contract amounts.

If you want to extend a guy (ex. Jamal Adams) you exercise that 5th year option as leverage.  Adams, a two-time Pro Bowler, is now under contract for two more years at Cap hits of about $7.1M and $9.8M for the Jets in the 2020 and 2021 season.  But, the cash to Jamal this year is only about $3.6M (salary, roster bonus) because his signing bonus from 3 years ago is what brings up that 2020 Cap number to $7.1M.

The consensus is that Jamal should get a deal that puts him at the top of the Safety market, ballpark of $15M per year.  He would be the first Safety to average $15M a season and eclipse Eddie Jackson's (Bears)$14.6M per year.

Eddie Jackson signed a 4 year, $58,400,000 contract with the Chicago Bears, including a $12,000,000 signing bonus, $33,000,000 guaranteed

Adams should be supremely motivated to get a deal done now.  The Jets?  Not so much.  They have this guy at a very manageable, below market Cap hit for the next two years.  My guess is that the Jets start talking extension but don't really do anything until next Spring.  It would give them the option of trading Adams this coming Fall in-season.  He'd still be in Year 4 of 5, and the Jets traded Leo Williams in Year 5 of 5 for a 3rd rounder.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Damn. Atlanta probably came out of that draft thinking they were going to have two studs at edge. NOPE. 

Atlanta and their edge rushers have been like the Jets and our DTs.  We've run through a bunch of high draft pick DTs over the years but seeing both Vic Beasley and Takk McKinley not work out makes me feel like some other teams don't always get a position group right despite multiple attempts.  Reminds me of Detroit drafting WR something like 3 times in a row in Round 1 before they finally got it right with Calvin Johnson.