GreenBean breaks down the Jets draft

Great video Greenbean.  I agree I wasn’t a fan of the Morgan pick.  I actually loved the David pick.  Yes it’s not a need as of now but I think either mate or Adams is gone by next year.  I know a lot of fans wanted another receiver but to be honest other than Mims all the others guys I wanted were off the board.  I think DPJ has some red flags from what I’ve heard which is why he dropped so far 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Another great job bean and thank you.

I really liked People Jones too. Actually didn’t think he’d get past the 4th round and was disappointed when we didn’t grab him.

• Upvote 3

29 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Great video Greenbean.  I agree I wasn’t a fan of the Morgan pick.  I actually loved the Favid puck.  Yes it’s not a need as of now but I think either mate or Adams is gone by next year.  I know a lot of fans wanted another receiver but to be honest other than Mims all the others guys I wanted were off the board.  I think DPJ has some red flags from what I’ve heard which is why he stopped so far 

What's this Favid Puck thing youre talking about??  lol 

Yeah man it's all good. Honestly I'm leaning toward trusting Douglas so I'm not going to whine about it more than just expressing meh thoughts, but I just felt we could have done better at those picks. But Davis looks like a stud and even if both Maye and Adams remain Jets, it will still be good to have him. He's cheap and it's no big deal on that side of things.  Having ads many elite level athletes as we can is a positive. 

I thought the draft was immeasurably more positive than negative and when comparing it to last years draft feelings, it could not be more different. I felt deflated last year from the 3rd overall pick all the way through. I never understood what the hell the plan was. All those 4th rd trade downs just compounded the issue for me. haha 

I liked this draft a lot. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

What's this Favid Puck thing youre talking about??  lol 

Yeah man it's all good. Honestly I'm leaning toward trusting Douglas so I'm not going to whine about it more than just expressing meh thoughts, but I just felt we could have done better at those picks. But Davis looks like a stud and even if both Maye and Adams remain Jets, it will still be good to have him. He's cheap and it's no big deal on that side of things.  Having ads many elite level athletes as we can is a positive. 

I thought the draft was immeasurably more positive than negative and when comparing it to last years draft feelings, it could not be more different. I felt deflated last year from the 3rd overall pick all the way through. I never understood what the hell the plan was. All those 4th rd trade downs just compounded the issue for me. haha 

I liked this draft a lot. 

I meant Davis.  Sorry I’m typing from my phone and sometimes the words get jumbled ? 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Great Job Bean.  Of course I don't agree with ALL your views, just 90%.  :) 

Your presentation was top shelf.  By far my favorite Jets draft breakdown.

Good Job

EDIT:  I really want to put my kayak in and catch some bass in the pond behind you.  LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

It's amazing to me how well Douglas performed in his first draft .He accomplished more in one draft than Maccagnan did in his four years.Wow ,retooled the offensive line ,like he promised, unbelievable move trading down from 48 to 59 and Mims is there and walks away with a pick on top of that.I liked the Davis pick. He reminds me of a bigger and faster version of Leonard who the Jets signed from the Ravens in Ryan's first year. Clark no question goes inside and becomes a ?starting guard at one point or possible at the start. The Hall pick in round 5 is homerrun. Mann pick made our defense better. Zuriga and Perrine could make this total draft class one for the record books. My favorite UDFA is Cage who could turn out to be that second receiver people wanted. Overall they say you can't fix a mess in one draft but Douglas accomplished the unbelievable in my book. Bravo Joe Douglas. ?

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If that does not make a person want to dial 911 I don't know what will.

I think the same thing every time I walk into a store like that. 4 months ago this would have gotten me arrested. Now I'm being nodded at by other bandits walking around the store with All Bran and Alpo in their cart. It's a weird world these days.  I mean hell, we got Denzel Mims after a trade down! What the hell is going on? 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Great breakdown. 

I remember last year looking at this:

First Round, Pick #3: Quinnen Williams, Defensive Tackle, Alabama

Third Round, Pick #68: Jachai Polite, Edge, University of Florida

Third Round, Pick #93: Chuma Edoga, Offensive Tackle, USC

Fourth Round, Pick #121: Trevon Wesco, Tight End, West Virginia

Fifth Round, Pick #157: Blake Cashman, Linebacker, Minnesota

Sixth Round, Pick #196: Blessuan Austin, Cornerback, Rutgers

And thinking man we really didn't get better. a Leo clone and an unathletic edge that failed the entire draft process, an OT-but a reach at 3, then luxury picks of a blocking TE  an oft injured but promising linebacker and a VERY injured corner. So we essentially did nothing to upgrade the offense at all, not a single playmaker, and we have to hope our fifth and 6th rounders can come back. Cashman looked good but got injured again, Bless looks like a core player. Q Williams was outplayed by an UDFA and we all saw the results on offense.

But this year I look at our draft

Round 1, pick 11: Mekhi Becton, OT, Louisville

Round 2, pick 59: Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor

Round 3, pick 68: Ashtyn Davis, S, California

Round 3, pick 79: Jabari Zuniga, DE, Florida

Round 4, pick 120: Lamical Perine, RB, Florida

Round 4, pick 125: James Morgan, QB, Florida International

Round 4, pick 129 (from Patriots via Ravens): Cameron Clark, OT, UNC Charlotte

Round 5, pick 158: Bryce Hall, CB, Virginia

Round 6, pick 191: Braden Mann, P, Texas A&M

And I am like "WOW" we are really better A balanced draft that makes us better in all 3 phases of the game.

1. An elite OT prospect ( I admit I do not like this pick much, to me he has a pretty low floor and red flags but almost all analysts think his floor is a decent starter, which would be a big upgrade)

2. Greeenbean explained the Mims pick perfectly. I thought we would wind up with no WR when we traded down but wound up with one of the Top guys.

3. I like the Davis pick more than you. His positional flexibility will be a great asset to GW's defense

4. Zuniga -going in I thought he's be a mid 2nd guy, seems to have dropped too far for what is mainly a bad high ankle sprain. Could really contribure

5. Perine I think one of the most underrated players in the NFL is the consistent reliable 2nd back. Perine will be that

6. James Morgan - I LOVE this pick. As was mentioned in the video JD is creating a pipeline. No more important position than QB to have a pipeline. NE loved this guy and might have even made him their 2020 starter. Plus he is really good and could be a long term backup, flipped for draft picks, or replacement for Sam if something bad happens. I know a lot want the veteran guy but I prefer this approach

7. Cameron Clark Everyone loves this guy. Maybe one of the best guard prospects in entire draft but he dropped because viewed as a project LT. But he can possibly start there as well. At a minimum he is likely a solid starting guard and swing tackle. LOVE this pick

8 Bryce Hall If healthy he is a CB1 candidate. Might not be. Risky pick.

9. Mann We drafted the best punter in college and one of the best ever. He is CRAZY good. Like #1 punter in the NFL ALL PRO staple kind of good. I LOVE this pick as well

So I actually like the picks you don't like more than you. Outside of Mann, none of these are slam dunks, but the mixture of players, the quality athleticism and leadership (like 5 Captains?) is amazing. JD in the FA period and draft has been incredibly consistent in what a "Jet" looks like.

In addition our UDFA signings are just fantastic.

When I look at the Jets know I see a MUCH improved team

I mean the difference in athleticism alone between those two drafts is staggering. The only pick I liked last year was Edoga and like you said that was a reach, but he was an OL and I couldn’t complain. Should’ve drafted josh Allen, polite had the worst pre draft process imaginable. I hated the Wesco pick the most. Cash man and Bless injury prone. What an absolutely awful draft. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

32 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I mean the difference in athleticism alone between those two drafts is staggering. The only pick I liked last year was Edoga and like you said that was a reach, but he was an OL and I couldn’t complain. Should’ve drafted josh Allen, polite had the worst pre draft process imaginable. I hated the Wesco pick the most. Cash man and Bless injury prone. What an absolutely awful draft. 

Macloser's drafts sort of defied any sort of football logic whatsoever.  I hated the guy when he said he didn't believe in drafting OL and that was years ago

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

GW is too good of a coach for Gase/Douglas to ignore. I think JD had targeted someone who got taken B4 the Davis pick & JD looked at his board, saw a guy that was listed as the 33rd best Athlete in this draft, super high character guy, and basically said, OK Gregg, here you go buddy. 

A lot of guys Jets fans were targeting there fell pretty far, Baun, Anae, and 99% of Jet fans wanted another WR taken at that spot, but JD still ended up with Cager & Campbell as UDFAs + let's see how Huffs career goes compared to other pass rushers taken in this draft. 

I haven't felt this good about a Jet draft in YEARS. Plus, JD brings the pedigree that these UDFAs & their agents like. Guys WANTED to be New York Jets baby!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

Great job @GREENBEAN

I had the same feelings about Davis until I read more about him. FIrst, I needed to think of him as a "DB" and not a safety. Has Honey Badger skills. Didn't realize at the time that Maye's contract was up after this year (unlike Adams). Then I picked up a draft mag I had bought (Lindy's) that has 2 mock drafts in it. Both of them had Davis being drafted at the end of round 1. Count me in as sold.

I'm with you on the Morgan pick. I get the "why" but I don't like the idea of using a 4th round pick on a player we hope never plays meaningful snaps.

Cheers!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Great video!

I think the biggest difference is that Douglas makes moves that make sense, instead of making moves that are intended to make you look good.

I always felt like he needed to prove that he saw things others didn’t, the super scout quality.

Hackenberg when he was wildly overrated because he watched the Kollmam video.

Tevin Wesco for I have no idea how to draft OL. So I’ll draft a TE with the Route tree of a eligible receiver offensive lineman.

Nathan Shepard when he needs development with a coaching staff that couldn't build a Lego fort.

Jachai Polite: Talented but I'm not sure anyone had a worse pre-draft process than this guy, short of felony charges.

Then a bunch of picks that made no sense because it just didn't fit.

Justin Burris: a CB that lacks speed to stay with receivers, so he needs zone. Let's draft him to a man cover defense.

Ardarius Stewart because Chris Goodwin wasn't good enough.

Overall, he had too many moments where it was about "Belichekian" moments where people go "Wtf?" And then it works out. However, it doesn't even work for Bellicheck most of the time, let alone Todd Bowles.

Then his need to avoid actually areas of weakness like OL and WR.

This was why I was excited about the Becton pick even though there was a debate on which one to pick, he recognized a need and addressed it. He filled holes as he went along, and that's what a competent GM should do for a weak team.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

I'm usually not one to predict that we had a great draft but I'm legit feeling it this year.  I'm feeling we hit a home run this time around.  I can see almost all of these guys being on the team.

Even if this is a homerun btw, we have to remember that this was an unusual draft because doctors couldn't give proper tests for these guys.  If Bryce Hall is legit, it's likely we lucked into him being there (due to medicals).  I like that Joe D was aggressive in this way though, taking chance on high upside players.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Great Job Bean.  Of course I don't agree with ALL your views, just 90%.   
Your presentation was top shelf.  By far my favorite Jets draft breakdown.
Good Job

EDIT:  I really want to put my kayak in and catch some bass in the pond behind you.  LOL

I heard they were pulling some large mouth out of there.
I’m not much of a fisherman though. I keep thinking I will be but alas no poles

• Upvote 1

And just think. We actually traded UP a spot to grab Edoga. Macc panicked to reach. I know I supported that guy but man oh man was he terrible.
This draft, even with my disagreements was potentially the best we’ve ever had. Sure the players need to work out but just the way JD navigated it alone was beautiful.

I wanted OL so bad in last years draft and I was still disappointed when we grabbed Edoga. lol. That’s how bad that draft was for me.

I’m really excited by the way Douglas is building the team. If Darnold is the real deal, and I believe he is, this is the beginning of some real football for us. It’s been far too long.

• Sympathy 1

Macloser's drafts sort of defied any sort of football logic whatsoever.  I hated the guy when he said he didn't believe in drafting OL and that was years ago

Hey man. Thanks for the full breakdown in relation to the vid. I appreciate that. I feel really good about what has gone on this offseason.
The one real disappointment I have is that a few of the FA guys we had didn’t sign during the period that would count toward a comp pick. Guys like Beachum and Montgomery etc could have done well to affect the formula for us.
There are still a lot of our guys floating around out there. Is Rontez miles coming back ya think?

4 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Hey man. Thanks for the full breakdown in relation to the vid. I appreciate that. I feel really good about what has gone on this offseason.
The one real disappointment I have is that a few of the FA guys we had didn’t sign during the period that would count toward a comp pick. Guys like Beachum and Montgomery etc could have done well to affect the formula for us.
There are still a lot of our guys floating around out there. Is Rontez miles coming back ya think?

Welcome. It was a great video. Hope you do more.

• Upvote 1