Barry Bonds Update

faba

Updated: Mar. 22, 2005, 2:08 PM ET

Bonds on missing the season: "Maybe"ESPN.com news services

A dejected Barry Bonds said Tuesday that there's a chance he might not return this season because of multiple knee surgeries.

Bonds

"Right now I'm just going to try to rehab myself back to, I don't know, hopefully next season, hopefully middle of the season. I don't know," Bonds said. "Right now I'm just gonna take things slow. I feel bad for the guys because I want to be out there for them."

When asked directly if he said he might not be back until mid-season or next season, Bonds answered, "Maybe. I told you that before I left, remember? You thought I was joking."

Bonds arrived on crutches at spring camp Tuesday, bringing his son, Nikolai, to meet with members of the media.

While Bonds was defiant and confrontational during his first press conference of the spring Feb. 22, he was despondent Tuesday, using the word "tired" 14 times during his approximate 10-minutes session.

"I really don't have much to say anymore," Bonds said. "My son and I just going to enjoy life. My family's tired. You guys [the media] wanted to hurt me bad enough, you finally got there.

"You wanted me to jump off the bridge, I finally have jumped. You wanted the bring me down, you've finally brought me and my family down. Finally done it. From everybody, all of you. So now go pick a different person. I'm done. Do the best I can, that's about it."

Asked if there was something specific he was talking about Bonds said, "Inner hurt, physical, mentally. Done. I'm mentally drained. I'm tired of my kids crying. Tired."

Bonds originally underwent knee surgery on Jan. 31. Four days later he accidentally hit his knee on a table at SBC Park in San Francisco and the knee had periods of swelling. An MRI last week revealed further tears in the knee.

Conte said there was no way of knowing whether the incident on Feb. 4 caused further damage.

"And we don't care," Conte said. "We're starting with a clean slate. We'll try to get it right."

Bonds begins the season third on the career homers list with 703, trailing Babe Ruth (714) and Hank Aaron (755).

Seems like the mental and physical toll is getting to him

How great would it be if Bonds never played again? Never broke the record. That would be AWESOME.

Damn steroid freak.

He does not deserve that record agreed Max-maybe the baseball ghosts from above are working their magic.

Wow. the year I actually decide to draft him and he goes and does this. All the reason to hate him more.

Max, that hadnt even crossed my mind. I would be glad if he didn't break Aaron's record. Rather let someone who faced a slew of adversity than someone who's whined and complained all his career and has been about himself over team.

Giants | Bonds May Miss Half the Year - from www.KFFL.com

Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:27:19 -0800

ESPNews reports San Francisco Giants OF Barry Bonds (knee) may miss half of the 2005 season, or possibly the full season. Bonds had a second operation on his right knee last week and was scheduled to return to the team today to begin rehabilitation.

imagine how embarassed his son is going to be the next day in school

i mean your dads out there making an ass out of himself and your standing there right next to him not able to say a thing :lol:

everyone has their parents embarass them, but nobody has had it done over countless ESPNEWS and Sportscenter broadcasts :mrgreen:

Lets not forget Jason and Sheffield fellows.

Funny the blind eye turned in Yanks direction.

*Yanks 2004 ALCS.

jason giambi's and gary sheffield's career achievements pale in comparison to Bonds

Bonds, McGwire and Sosa were the 3 that touched history, the other 'roiders didnt

They said that McGwire's rookie card went down from 2500 bucks to only 600 because of the scandel. Better sell them while you can.

I used to think I had hit it big when I was younger when I got doubles of Ken Griffey Jr's RC. Now, I'll be lucky if the cards exceed 100 bucks. I still have some rookie cards that should be decent value. Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Manny Ramirez to name a few.

They said that McGwire's rookie card went down from 2500 bucks to only 600 because of the scandel. Better sell them while you can.

I used to think I had hit it big when I was younger when I got doubles of Ken Griffey Jr's RC. Now, I'll be lucky if the cards exceed 100 bucks. I still have some rookie cards that should be decent value. Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez, Derek Jeter, Manny Ramirez to name a few.

when my dad gave me his card collection, he had like 5 1987 Jose Canseco rookie cards, now I wonder what they'd be worth :lol:

I went through the trouble of getting a Ken griffy jr rookie card into one of those plastic plates that take forever to open with a screw-driver

now I look back at that and realized how much I wasted my time

when my dad gave me his card collection, he had like 5 1987 Jose Canseco rookie cards, now I wonder what they'd be worth :lol:

I went through the trouble of getting a Ken griffy jr rookie card into one of those plastic plates that take forever to open with a screw-driver

now I look back at that and realized how much I wasted my time

You think you wasted your time? I've got you beat.

Two words: David Justice.

I have a huge collection of him from back when he was a rookie in 1991. I liked the braves back before they got to be really good (I grew up liking Dale Murphy) and then Justice came up when Murphy was traded to the Phillies.

Anyway, I bought just about every Justice card that was out there. His 1991 Leaf rookie card used to book at about $50 (he won the NL Rookie of the Year in '91).I had it in one of those screw down protector cases like you had. In a matter of only a couple years it has dwindled down to a whopping $5.

Talk about wasted time.

the moment he is traded to the Yankees, and he would be a perfect fit on that team, all this hate will turn to love instantaneously.

By the way, cut him some slack, the man says he is "tired." It must be rather grueling to have to try to maintain that He-Man looking physique without steroids

Back in the day, card collecting was awesome. It was the same thing with comic books. Now? not so much. I can't even tell you about current card collecting situations. And it's so hard to collect cards too. When I was last into it, like around 96, they were just starting to expand into a thousand different card sets and special cards, this, that, and the other. It just got oversaturated. Just sad.

Archived