Sign of the apocalypse: people are praising the Jets draft

Was just going to post this- feels good. I like this guy, yes I know he was a Hackenberg fan. 

Ashtyn Davis seems like a dude who was simply too damn good to pass up.  Ceiling of the best free safety in the league, unclear what his floor is. Ashtyn is a different kind of cat, an individual but also a good soldier. crazy good in meetings, Pete Caroll said he knows as much as the coaches do. Krazy athlete. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 3

I feel pretty much like this guy does.  This is a damn good draft by JD. 

So yea...it must be the apocalypse for sure.  Like...you need to pinch yourself...to make sure what's been accomplished is real...and you're not delusional.

I just said in another thread.  This draft makes you think.  At least it did for me.  The more I focus on these picks...the more I like them.  Really like them.  An A draft grade for me.

JD got players that are as close to  BPA as possible...that happen to fill immediate holes.  As well as  future ones...as he moves on from some current players (ie: Bell and Maye).    Between this draft + FA-UDFA...JD just about covered the needs of every unit on this team.  He's establishing a solid foundation to build on over the next couple of years. 

He's reshaping the Jets into his vision.  With his type of players.  Smart...good character...speedy and athletic.  

IMO...this team can compete...now...for the wide open AFCE.  

Apocalypse be damned.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

5 hours ago, David Harris said:

Was just going to post this- feels good. I like this guy, yes I know he was a Hackenberg fan. 

Ashtyn Davis seems like a dude who was simply too damn good to pass up.  Ceiling of the best free safety in the league, unclear what his floor is. Ashtyn is a different kind of cat, an individual but also a good soldier. crazy good in meetings, Pete Caroll said he knows as much as the coaches do. Krazy athlete. 

The Davis pick is getting accolades everywhere.  Just one homerun after another in this draft.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, David Harris said:

I don’t trust Kollman talking about QBs but his opinions regarding the other positions I do respect

• Sympathy 2

The only pick I don't really like is a QB in round 4.  For now, get even more help for Sam with that pick: another young, talented WR or OL at that spot. Hedge a bit against either of the top two picks being a disappointment. Maybe next year draft a developmental backup QB.

Still, lots of scouts like the pick, so I'm hoping that I'm wrong about it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Of course we have a great draft right as the apocalypse is about to hit.  

SOJ

Don't worry, we have not run out of history just yet. Got that line from Captain Kirk in his very last full Star Trek 6 movie. But, we will come out of this pandemic/economic tragedy and build back again.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, TheClashFan said:

The only pick I don't really like is a QB in round 4.  For now, get even more help for Sam with that pick: another young, talented WR or OL at that spot. Hedge a bit against either of the top two picks being a disappointment. Maybe next year draft a developmental backup QB.

Hey, if Morgan can show enough to be the backup than it was worth it. There is just not worthy backup QB vets worth the $ they get. Winston was the exception not the norm. Heck teams have paid 5-10M for backup QBs and they come in and can't win even 1 out of 3-4 games.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I don’t believe in grading a draft until the season is over, and even then you don’t really know on some players. I like the approach JD had: take need, value and character into consideration. He did that, and it’s the right way. But until I see these players show something in games, I’m withholding all judgment on the success of this draft. I’ve been following this team for far too long to do otherwise. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Still trying to figure out how Mims fell all the way to 59

I really love the Mims pick.  Didn't think there was a chance in the world he would be there at 59.

Only reason I can think of that he might have fallen that far came to me after I had seen the phone call from Douglas.  Perhaps he didn't interview so well.  There has to be a reason and that's all I've got

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Boy, you would hope so for $Billion franchises. The quality of their product is essential.

I’m hoping the scouting on Mims was lazy

-Baylor WR

-Route Tree

-Doesn’t play as fast as his 40 

Why wasn’t Mahomes picked first overall?

-Texas Tech QB

-Air Raid offense

-Sloppy footwork

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, De-Jet-Erate/Duane said:

Everyone seems to be loving the draft JD has had with the Jets but back in Philly without him Howie Roseman didn't seem to do as well. 

That’s why I thought the narrative about Douglas and the Eagles bad drafts were completely misguided (Manish). It’s Rosemans show over there

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2020 at 8:58 AM, TheClashFan said:

Problem is backup QBs is a need and guys like Dalton cost too much money

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

23 hours ago, flgreen said:

I really love the Mims pick.  Didn't think there was a chance in the world he would be there at 59.

Only reason I can think of that he might have fallen that far came to me after I had seen the phone call from Douglas.  Perhaps he didn't interview so well.  There has to be a reason and that's all I've got

I thought Mims was going first round.  The guy is a prototype nfl WR and was very productive in college

• Upvote 2

On 5/2/2020 at 8:58 AM, TheClashFan said:

the Morgan pick was delicious because it was the Jets using the pick NE traded to take the QB NE wanted

it's gambling with house money 

also Sam has yet to make it through 16 games healthy so they need a plan when he (and several make-out buddies TBD) creates COVID-21 in a hoboken bar next offseason 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, LRJets said:

I was glad JD took a tackle in Rd 1 instead of the traditional "Jets sexy picks" of the past.

Where did that get the Jets?  Golf in January.

Becton truck AAA.jpg

Mac and Idzik didn’t make sexy picks they just made dumb picks like Pryor, Amaro and Hackenberg 

• Upvote 1

On 5/2/2020 at 6:50 AM, The Crusher said:

I’m enjoying being wrong about this pick. Hated it when it happen. Feels so good to be dumb. 

Yes but if you were the GM in charge of finding all you can eat buffets no one would come close..B)

• Post of the Week 1