Is JD Living in the Present?

This.
The Ravens are built the same way: Earl Thomas, Marlon Humphrey, Marcus Peters. They've got no true pass rusher.
The Titans are pretty good on the back end too: Adoree, Malcolm Butler, Kevin Byard. They don't have an elite rusher. Landry is solid. 
You can get creative with the front 7 and scheme pressure. It's far more difficult to mask bad secondary play. 

you can add SEA legion of boom as another recent era example.
  • Upvote 3

10 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Those seem to be the 2 picks that everyone has the most issue with, I can see why. Are you also unhappy about the rest of the draft? 

Some people on the board don't care for those picks, Imo mostly because they didn't know who those guys were.

The vast majority of the draft reviews I've seen love the Davis pick, and think he's a steal, and an immediate impact player.  Also most reviews I've seen think Morgan has a live NFL arm, extremely smart, great person with a strong work ethic.  Seen a lot of people say he has good potential to become a starter in the league, or trade bait in the future.

I'm a fan who believes, even if you have a QB, it's always a good idea to take another QB in the mid rounds who you think has starting potential.

I can honestly say for the first time in a very long time there is not a single pick in this draft I'm unhappy with.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Experts and fans in general seem to rave about the Jets draft, so why are we then projected to land at the bottom 8 this season? I know we have a tougher schedule with long road trips, but there is no Brady in our division, Patriots, for the first time appear beatable. Tua might not be ready to play for the Fins, Buffalo has a strong team but erratic at the Qb spot. True,we have a lot of new pieces that need to be molded together but still- why such a low ranking? The Gase factor??

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Because it’s the JETS. Personally I love being underrated. It does seem through the years the Jets seem to do better with ( no ) expectations so I’m good with it. Although at the same time I would love to hear good things said about the Jets. I think we may have something here, that is sustainable for say the next 10-15 years or so. THERE IS HOPE. Real hope that in the near future. We will all be parading Down the canyon of heroes and will get (earn) respect from throughout the league!!!

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Maybe. The NFL now is based on two simple factors: an-time offense and a great pass rush.

The only way you're defeating the AFC's best is with a 33ppg offense and an exemplary pass rush.

So I am unhappy JD drafting Davis 3rd, Morgan 4th.

Instead load up on offense and pass rushers on defense.

DWC is that you?

11 hours ago, JetsLife said:

Maybe. The NFL now is based on two simple factors: an-time offense and a great pass rush.

The only way you're defeating the AFC's best is with a 33ppg offense and an exemplary pass rush.

I'm unhappy that I am 15 pounds overweight and can't trust farts anymore like I used to.  Such is life.  You'll get over it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

You take guys like Jim Leonard & Bart Scott who were very smart with a great work ethic & we ended up in the AFCCG. 

Now you look at what GW has to work with in Adams, Maye & Davis + Mosely? Holy Sh*t! We now have a way more athletic group on defense all around. This defense will start out under the radar but won't stay that way. I think they'll be top 5 going up against an erratic Allen, young Stidham & Fitzy or Tua. Very exciting. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2020 at 11:56 PM, ljr said:

In real-time wasn't a fan of Davis or Morgan picks either.

I loved!!! everything else from the get-go.

---

after Beckton & then the Mims rollercoaster ride, I was ready to jump up and down yelling like a madman if we'd picked any WR or OL with that 3rd pick.  I was ready to be cool with any CB or OLB ... when I saw S my heart pulled a crash & burn.  ...  I can get onboard after hearing everything about him & positioning us for the future at the position etc ... but it was a punch to the gut when it happened.

Morgan is also a "best thing moving forward" pick rather than a "best thing now" ... I understand both ... and loved everything else so much, I'm cool  ... but if either of these guys had been a second WR this would have been my "oh $h*t my alarm clock's about to ring" dream draft 

I will say this again don’t sleep on Cager/Campbell and Huff could fill those needs.

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2020 at 8:30 PM, JetsLife said:

Offense - OT (1), WR (2), RB (4), QB (4), OT (4)

Pass rush - DE (3)

Most NFL teams average 7 Draft picks.  The Jets used 6 on exactly what you're asking for.  They also signed a WR (Perriman) and a bazillion OLinemen, and then post-draft signed one of the best pass rushing UDFA's in Bryce Huff.

Joe D did pretty much exactly what you wanted. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

the thing is, beefing up the offense and scoring points takes a ton of pressure off the defense and forcing the other team to be more one dimensional.  usually when teams go down a couple of scores they resort to passing to try and close the score since the clock becomes an enemy.  and when teams are one dimensional then the defenses can rear back and stop them easier.  this is where pass rushers come in but teams don't necessarily need a premier pass rusher.  they need good team rushing and that means using the dline to open rushing lanes to pressure the qb.  and it also means having a good enough secondary to keep receivers from coming free or disrupting their timing.

On 5/1/2020 at 8:30 PM, JetsLife said:

Tenn was doing it with a nasty O-line and run game a game manager at QB and a stout defense. I mean, they lost in the AFCCG, sure, but boy were they rolling before that and it was NOT a fluke. 

Meanwhile, Chiefs almost lost the SB to a run first, nasty defense, manager at QB team with a stud TE. You could argue if not for a blown PI and holding call the Chiefs SHOULD have lost. 

So spare me. 

There's a lot of different ways to get to the SB and once you're there, there's a lot of ways to win or lose it and the fact that JD made the selections he did at those spots is inconsequential right now and probably won't ever be.  

On 5/1/2020 at 11:30 PM, JetsLife said:

Is JD Living in the Present?

He lives in the year 2029.  

He was sent back in time to save Sam'eh Darnold.

He can't be reasoned with, he can't be bargained with...he doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear...and he absolutely will not stop.

Ever.

Until he wins a Super Bowl.  

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

His job isn't satisfying your immediate gratification. His job is to implement the short and long term success of the Jets. Davis is a FS with range, something you need, which the Jets didn't have, in a pass happy NFL. Davis is also a player who fell due to the lack of in person interviews this year. Morgan, probably the head scratch'er for most, fits a need that is often ignored but was glaring last year when we needed a good backup qb and didn't have one. We can't sign old retreads every year for 10 mill nor can we hope a talented young qb somehow shakes loose. They had to invest in the back up qb position like any other position through the draft as not every player starts their first year anyway. 

Another armchair GM that thinks he knows more about what it takes to win than an experienced, accomplished NFL professional. I'll take what Douglas is selling every time over your amateurish prognostication.

Can't score 30 a game w/o an elite QB.

The game isn't as complicated, or 'evolved', as people like to believe. You get a good QB, build around him, and you'll win games. Simple

We loaded up on offense during FA and early in the draft

32 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Another armchair GM that thinks he knows more about what it takes to win than an experienced, accomplished NFL professional. I'll take what Douglas is selling every time over your amateurish prognostication.

To be fair, john idsick and mike maccfungus were also 'experienced' NFL professionals.

Professionals are not beyond criticism.

4 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

To be fair, john idsick and mike maccfungus were also 'experienced' NFL professionals.

Professionals are not beyond criticism.

Didn't say they were. What I said was I'll take what Douglas is selling every time over his amateurish prognostication. I mean it.

Fun fact; the Chiefs, didnt have a single player with double digit sacks this season. Their 2 best pass rushers, Justin Houston and Dee Ford, were not brought back after the 18 season.    Their best pass rusher is an interior lineman, Chris Jones.  You also cant name me a single starting corner on their team but every single person who knows the NFL knows who their SS was last year.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, JiF said:

Fun fact; the Chiefs, didnt have a single player with double digit sacks this season. Their 2 best pass rushers, Justin Houston and Dee Ford, were not brought back after the 18 season.    Their best pass rusher is an interior lineman, Chris Jones.  You also cant name me a single starting corner on their team but every single person who knows the NFL knows who their SS was last year.

Mathieu certainly gets listed as the SS but he plays multiple different positions and does things you need a DB to do:  cause turnovers (4 INT) and break up passes (12 PD's).