Lack of OTAs Hurts the Jets

4 minutes ago, Jets0712 said:

Very good points. But same is true for all of the other 30 teams. Somewhere in Siberia is belichick and his group practicing as we speak

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It's worse for worse/rebuilding teams. So the Jets and the fish are really feeling it in the AFCe, but a team like the Chiefs returning 20/22 starters is well positioned to be a hot knife thru butter in the early part of the year. 

I do think the Jets have a slight advantage bringing their entire coaching staff back, though. Installing new systems in this environment would be another daunting task. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I think the only people it’s really going to affect our those with a poor work ethic and bad attitude. As far as the new players, if they have a superior work ethic, then they will commit to keeping in shape, and will learn the playbook.  If you come in good shape and mastered the playbook, then you should be fine.  I just listened to Bryce Huff on a podcast, and he will be ready to go when things kick off.  The fact that they can’t have OTAs gives them even more time to study.  And coaches don’t need ALL of OTAs to determine who can produce.  Some players will always be overlooked and cut or put on practice squad, and others who start will become busts.  Happens every year.  I know we have a lot of new players but every team in the NFL is going to be dealing with the same situation in someway or another. I actually think that this process will identify the cream of the crop sooner, meaning those who have great work ethics and are smart.  This will definitely have an impact on all teams but I don’t think it will make a huge difference.  Worst case scenario....the first few games are sloppy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Lil O said:

I know we have a lot of new players but every team in the NFL is going to be dealing with the same situation in someway or another. I actually think that this process will identify the cream of the crop sooner, meaning those who have great work ethics and are smart.

The Jets are completely revamping their OL, WRs, and secondary. I get what you're saying with the cream of the crop, but I don't necessarily agree. I think all those extra reps gives these kids those extra chances to make a "wow" play that gets the coaches' attention. Thinking specifically here of the UDFA WRs and CBs who could be diamonds in the rough, but need an opportunity to shine. 

Same with the OL. Lots of versatility there, and I'd think they'd like to try guys in different spots. Unfortunately, I suspect the Jets will be doing a lot of tinkering there in the regular season. 

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets roster was absolutely terrible last year and I like what Joe Douglas seems to be trying to do by improving the team's depth and raising the overall floor of talent. Taking a scatter-shot approach made a lot of sense here. A lot of mid-level FAs, a couple former first round picks, a couple interesting UDFAs. Unfortunately, the lack of a rookie camp or OTAs really limits their ability to assess all of these new additions. 

Rookie camp gives the rookies a chance to shine against their peers, and gives the coaching staff an idea of who might stick. Having that opportunity for guys like Cager, Campbell, Guidry, and Jackson on units that could really use a surprise free agent addition would've been extremely helpful. Then the OTAs with veterans and rookies alike all knowing that they're battling for spots on the roster. That's when they'd have more of a chance to shuffle all of their new versatile offensive linemen around in an effort to see which mix works best. 

It would've been great to see James Morgan and David Fales on the field together and start making the assessment as to whether they think either could be the #2 this year or if they need to bring in a veteran. 

And all of those practices would be on film that they'd break down over the next month, maybe seeing some things they didn't notice at first in person, giving them a much better idea of who they expect to stick and who they don't before training camp even begins. 

Instead, they'll be installing as many as five new starters on the OL and two WRs on offense in what will quite possibly be a condensed training camp. Gregg Williams could be starting a pair of new CBs, shuffling his pass-rushers, and figuring out how to employ a bunch of three-safety sets. All the work that Joe D did to bring in all these bodies, and many could simply get lost because of the significantly fewer practice reps the team has this year in total. Guys who could've managed to flash in those spring practices would've gotten more reps in training camp, now instead they'll be trying out with far fewer chances to demonstrate what they can do. It's a tough situation for the players and the team. 

The increased roster size this year helps, I guess, but I feel bad for all of these UDFAs and late picks across the league this year. 

Agree 100%.  I'm mostly concerned with the OL.  The whole line are going to be strangers a few weeks before the season.

Love what Douglas has done with the line, but this is a major concern 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

The Jets are completely revamping their OL, WRs, and secondary. I get what you're saying with the cream of the crop, but I don't necessarily agree. I think all those extra reps gives these kids those extra chances to make a "wow" play that gets the coaches' attention. Thinking specifically here of the UDFA WRs and CBs who could be diamonds in the rough, but need an opportunity to shine. 

Same with the OL. Lots of versatility there, and I'd think they'd like to try guys in different spots. Unfortunately, I suspect the Jets will be doing a lot of tinkering there in the regular season. 

I agee, it sucks.

Bring all the draft picks to Florham Park for 14 day quarantine and Zoom meetings for each side of the ball. Film work and responsibility assignments. Strength and conditioning training. I hope the NFLPA is working with the owners to make this season happen safely

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, slats said:

I do think the Jets have a slight advantage bringing their entire coaching staff back, though. Installing new systems in this environment would be another daunting task.

I also think that it helps that there are a lot of long established coaches on the staff that you would think in theory are set with their teachings and scheming.  Theyre not in a learning phase as lets say a Kingsbury.  

17 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Agree 100%.  I'm mostly concerned with the OL.  The whole line are going to be strangers a few weeks before the season.

Love what Douglas has done with the line, but this is a major concern 

So many variables there. Are they better off with McGovern at C with Lewis and Van Roten at guard, or maybe with Harrison at C with McGovern at G? Is Fant much better on the left than he is on the right? How does that effect where Becton starts his career? 

Obviously, more practice would've helped. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, slats said:

It will take longer, but it usually takes a full season for a new OL to gel.  So whether we have a regular training camp or not the jets will still be tinkering all season with the OL, or most of the season.  I’m not saying that this isn’t going to have an impact on our team and others. I’m saying that I don’t think it’s going to be that drastic for us compared to other teams. Yes we have a lot of new players but we’re not the only team that has a lot of new players. It will affect us but again I think everyone will be affected to some degree so to me it’s a bit of a wash.

28 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

I agee, it sucks.

Didnt some of our new DBs already play together in Indy?  If so I assume their chemistry will be fine.  I know we have for dB from the Colts, but I’m too lazy to look up if they play together

Just now, BROOKLYN JET said:

They played together but not in GWs system.

Right but they still know how to communicate with each other.  And isn’t that one of the most important things on Defense.  And they will be learning the system together.  In my profession I work with different people all the time, and some people on a regular basis. When working with new people it takes a few weeks to learn their likes and dislikes, and how to communicate with them. When I work with people I have worked with before there’s none of that. We just pick up where we left off, even with a new job or new challenge. It just makes it easier in the long run. You don’t have to worry about anyones feelings, or how you phrase something.  You develop a shorthand.  I think it’s going to be challenging but I don’t think it’s going to be that big of a deal.

1 minute ago, Lil O said:

Right but they still know how to communicate with each other.  And isn’t that one of the most important things on Defense.  And they will be learning the system together.  In my profession I work with different people all the time, and some people on a regular basis. When working with new people it takes a few weeks to learn their likes and dislikes, and how to communicate with them. When I work with people I have worked with before there’s none of that. We just pick up where we left off, even with a new job or new challenge. It just makes it easier in the long run. You don’t have to worry about anyones feelings, or how you phrase something.  You develop a shorthand.  I think it’s going to be challenging but I don’t think it’s going to be that big of a deal.

That will help players who have played together and are familiar with each other a bit, but having less time to practice is still going to be a disadvantage.

It's going to be challenging for the coaches and for anybody learning a new system and new teammates.

59 minutes ago, slats said:

It's worse for worse/rebuilding teams. So the Jets and the fish are really feeling it in the AFCe, but a team like the Chiefs returning 20/22 starters is well positioned to be a hot knife thru butter in the early part of the year. 

I can’t imagine, look at the giants for example. Nobody knew who joe judge was before the hiring, and I have a feeling the giants players still don’t know who he is lol

4 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

That will help players who have played together and are familiar with each other a bit, but having less time to practice is still going to be a disadvantage.

It's going to be challenging for the coaches and for anybody learning a new system and new teammates.

You’re right, but every rookie coming into the league this year has new teammates and a new system. So it doesn’t change anything for them when it comes to new teammates.  And our current DBs have all played together in some capacity.  I agree that this will be challenging, but it will be challenging for every team. Probably a little more for those who have more new players. But I don’t think it’s gonna have a big affect on our OL or secondary. It takes a long time for an OL to reach its potential so even with a full practice schedule, they would still have a lot of work to do.  I am also pretty confident that we’re not going to the Super Bowl this year, so I could care less what our record is this season as long as we start playing well together toward the 2nd half of the season.  I think 2021 or 2022 is our year. We may make the playoffs this season because they change the rules but this year is all about building a new culture. It’s the first year with our new GM calling the shots.  We might start off a little sloppy but I don’t think it’s going to change whether or not we go to the Super Bowl.

9 minutes ago, Lil O said:

You’re right, but every rookie coming into the league this year has new teammates and a new system. So it doesn’t change anything for them when it comes to new teammates.  And our current DBs have all played together in some capacity.  I agree that this will be challenging, but it will be challenging for every team. Probably a little more for those who have more new players. But I don’t think it’s gonna have a big affect on our OL or secondary. It takes a long time for an OL to reach its potential so even with a full practice schedule, they would still have a lot of work to do.  I am also pretty confident that we’re not going to the Super Bowl this year, so I could care less what our record is this season as long as we start playing well together toward the 2nd half of the season.  I think 2021 or 2022 is our year. We may make the playoffs this season because they change the rules but this year is all about building a new culture. It’s the first year with our new GM calling the shots.  We might start off a little sloppy but I don’t think it’s going to change whether or not we go to the Super Bowl.

I agree, and the limited time certainly doesn't help.

42 minutes ago, Lil O said:

I’m not saying that this isn’t going to have an impact on our team and others. I’m saying that I don’t think it’s going to be that drastic for us compared to other teams. Yes we have a lot of new players but we’re not the only team that has a lot of new players. It will affect us but again I think everyone will be affected to some degree so to me it’s a bit of a wash.

It's going to effect every team, and every team differently. Some more than others. I get that. 

Where it effects the Jets most, IMHO, is the WR and CB groups, which were very bad last year and Joe Douglas sought to improve largely by throwing a bunch of **** at the wall and seeing what sticks. When you look at the roster at those positions, those are places where their promising UDFAs should have a real chance to make the team. I think the lack of OTAs really hurts those players and, as a result, the Jets could miss out on guys that could've helped them. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

It's going to effect every team, and every team differently. Some more than others. I get that. 

Where it effects the Jets most, IMHO, is the WR and CB groups, which were very bad last year and Joe Douglas sought to improve largely by throwing a bunch of **** at the wall and seeing what sticks. When you look at the roster at those positions, those are places where their promising UDFAs should have a real chance to make the team. I think the lack of OTAs really hurts those players and, as a result, the Jets could miss out on guys that could've helped them. 

A bunch? Most of our DBs he is familiar with.  There aren’t a lot of starting slots open in the secondary. Desir, pool, Adams, May, bless Austin, Maulet will all most likely start, at least the beginning of the season.  If Hall or Davis take someone’s spot it will be later in the season, after seeing them in game mode.  So most of our new DBs are rookies, and I don’t see a rookie taking a starters position in practice.  So I agree with you , but we are not talking about a lot of guys, unless you think many of the UDFAs are going to replace players who have already shown potential, and have years of experience in the NFL.  And WR is probably one of the easiest position to learn on Offense.  That’s why rookie WR can make an immediate impact...same with RB.  Odell Beckham, AJ green, Jarvis Landry, etc ALL were major parts of their offenses.  Shoot Beckham had 91 rec/1300yds/12TDs in 12 games, and AJ green topped 1000yds his rookie season.  And the list goes on and on.  It’s not that ALL wide receivers make an impact their rookie year but most of the good ones do.

1 hour ago, slats said:

It also gives the coaching staff some time to coach the players up and see who responds and improves.  Coaches like coachable players but their chance to evaluate that part of the evaluation and improve their team will be limited this year.  
Does less TC time mean that Becton starts at RT and Fant at LT?

1 hour ago, slats said:

Teams with new head coaches and or new offensive/defensive coordinators and teams with new QBs (pats) are worse off than the Jets imo.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

The Jets roster was absolutely terrible last year and I like what Joe Douglas seems to be trying to do by improving the team's depth and raising the overall floor of talent. Taking a scatter-shot approach made a lot of sense here. A lot of mid-level FAs, a couple former first round picks, a couple interesting UDFAs. Unfortunately, the lack of a rookie camp or OTAs really limits their ability to assess all of these new additions. 

Rookie camp gives the rookies a chance to shine against their peers, and gives the coaching staff an idea of who might stick. Having that opportunity for guys like Cager, Campbell, Guidry, and Jackson on units that could really use a surprise free agent addition would've been extremely helpful. Then the OTAs with veterans and rookies alike all knowing that they're battling for spots on the roster. That's when they'd have more of a chance to shuffle all of their new versatile offensive linemen around in an effort to see which mix works best. 

It would've been great to see James Morgan and David Fales on the field together and start making the assessment as to whether they think either could be the #2 this year or if they need to bring in a veteran. 

And all of those practices would be on film that they'd break down over the next month, maybe seeing some things they didn't notice at first in person, giving them a much better idea of who they expect to stick and who they don't before training camp even begins. 

Instead, they'll be installing as many as five new starters on the OL and two WRs on offense in what will quite possibly be a condensed training camp. Gregg Williams could be starting a pair of new CBs, shuffling his pass-rushers, and figuring out how to employ a bunch of three-safety sets. All the work that Joe D did to bring in all these bodies, and many could simply get lost because of the significantly fewer practice reps the team has this year in total. Guys who could've managed to flash in those spring practices would've gotten more reps in training camp, now instead they'll be trying out with far fewer chances to demonstrate what they can do. It's a tough situation for the players and the team. 

The increased roster size this year helps, I guess, but I feel bad for all of these UDFAs and late picks across the league this year. 

Roster management will be of the utmost importance. We will have a 55 roster spot and 10 or more practice squad spots to keep the right players on and evaluate over the course of the season.

Sometimes just adding one or two players to the OL takes time and lots of practice to begin playing in unison and effectively.  Jets look like they'll have only one player in Lewis, that finished the season as a starter...and will continue as one this year.  This unit will definitely have difficulties under these pandemic conditions.  And this will definitely effect a rookie Beckton the most.  It may take several games before the OL starts to play well as a unit.

Same goes for the secondary as a unit with several new pieces.  Rookies Ashtyn Davis and Bryce Hall could be set back some without a normal period of OTAs and TC-preseason.  Plus you have Desir and Wilson additions to work into this unit.

The only saving grace...if you can call it one...ALL teams have to deal with this "new norm" caused by the pandemic. 

What could result from such a major disruption to the this offseason and preparations.  Is an increase in major injuries and poor-sloppy play.  When veteran players have disruptions to their normal offseason routines.  Messing with their "body clocks"...I expect nothing good to come out of this.

Lets face it...this sucks!  God bless this country...I just hope we all get our lives back.  And football is part of that.  

So...I'm hoping for the best.  For exciting football and no serious spike in major injuries.  

Carolina, Giants, Cowboys, Browns?
Who am I missing?
Redskins... but I think you have to count teams with new coordinators (unless promoted from within to run the same system)... so Miami/Gailey, Jax/Gruden, Denver/Shurmer, Rams/Staley (though IIRC he'll run a similar D to Phillips)

Don't think things will change much in the other places where systems will remain mostly the same.

I made this observation before.

the advantage will be with the teams that had fewer personnel and coaching changes. Not advantageous for us considering our personnel turnover.

I’m expecting mediocrity this season NFL wise and a repetition of our season last year sans mono.

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Bring all the draft picks to Florham Park for 14 day quarantine and Zoom meetings for each side of the ball. Film work and responsibility assignments. Strength and conditioning training. I hope the NFLPA is working with the owners to make this season happen safely

All team facilities are shut down.

I've read this whole thread and there's really only one conclusion.  We need to give Gase a pass this year and no playoff mandate.  It's only fair.  I look forward to him having a real opportunity in 2021 to show what he can do.

Embarrassed The Office GIF by Justin

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, slats said:

I think the coaching staff coming back is actually a really big advantage.

Have Sam Darnold in the new offense The Jets are basically getting alignment up to speed on blocking schemes and working in some new wide receivers.

Having the same offense same running back and same quarterback is a huge plus.

Just think up in foxboro they're not going to have time to teach the new quarterback how to cheat. 

• Haha 1