NY Jets had 2 of the Top 5 Trades of the NFL Draft per ESPN+

we almost had another trade down!

-At pick No. 83, the Broncos drafted center Lloyd Cushenberry. The starting snapper for national champion LSU is the early favorite to be Denver’s Week 1 center. However, he may well have been the Broncos’ second choice for this role. The Broncos had a deal in place to move up to No. 79, where they would have taken Temple center Matt Hennessy, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports. The Jets were set to drop from No. 79 to No. 83 and add a Day 3 pick from the Broncos to do so, Mehta notes. The Falcons, however, scuttled these plans by drafting Hennessy at No. 78. Instead of moving up for Cushenberry, the Broncos stood pat. Interestingly, the Jets’ signing of two-year Broncos starter Connor McGovern created a Denver need at center. With the Falcons interrupting a Jets trade-down maneuver, Gang Green took defensive end Jabari Zuniga at No. 79.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

-At pick No. 83, the Broncos drafted center Lloyd Cushenberry. The starting snapper for national champion LSU is the early favorite to be Denver’s Week 1 center. However, he may well have been the Broncos’ second choice for this role. The Broncos had a deal in place to move up to No. 79, where they would have taken Temple center Matt Hennessy, Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reports. The Jets were set to drop from No. 79 to No. 83 and add a Day 3 pick from the Broncos to do so, Mehta notes. The Falcons, however, scuttled these plans by drafting Hennessy at No. 78. Instead of moving up for Cushenberry, the Broncos stood pat. Interestingly, the Jets’ signing of two-year Broncos starter Connor McGovern created a Denver need at center. With the Falcons interrupting a Jets trade-down maneuver, Gang Green took defensive end Jabari Zuniga at No. 79.

LOVE these tidbits, thanks

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

Very interesting. Lots of speculation we wanted Hennessy but this would suggest not

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Very interesting. Lots of speculation we wanted Hennessy but this would suggest not

How does this suggest that?  He was gone before we picked.  Douglas probably didnt know why Denver wanted to move up.  He has shown that he isnt in love with a pick but is all about value when he moved down with Mims on the board, then took him later.

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

How does this suggest that?  He was gone before we picked.  Douglas probably didnt know why Denver wanted to move up.  He has shown that he isnt in love with a pick but is all about value when he moved down with Mims on the board, then took him later.

I think teams get an idea who their trade partners are trading up to get, especially when only moving down fewer slots like that. If we were dropping double digits - like when we moved down from 48 - then too many other things can happen so let chips fall where they may. But when someone is willing to get leapfrogging that little, yeah I think they ask which guy they're targeting. 

I agree with your latter point about blocks of players, and sure it's possible he'd have drafted him at 83. But IMO if he really wanted Hennessy I doubt he'd get that cute about it for what was probably their pick #178.

The Jets have a proven young starting center, signed for the next 3 seasons, at what's currently reasonable starter $. They also have an experienced backup signed for the year at very reasonable $. Neither Douglas nor Gase seems to undervalue OL importance (and after the Paradis and Kalil stories, not at center). So after signing McGovern and the remaining results that we didn't even take a shot in the dark late on a center prospect - says he probably wasn't targeting him, or wasn't targeting him unless he fell to an even later pick of ours. One doesn't like a center prospect on day 2 only if he also comes along with the #178 pick. JMO.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think teams get an idea who their trade partners are trading up to get, especially when only moving down fewer slots like that. If we were dropping double digits - like when we moved down from 48 - then too many other things can happen so let chips fall where they may. But when someone is willing to get leapfrogging that little, yeah I think they ask which guy they're targeting. 

I agree with your latter point about blocks of players, and sure it's possible he'd have drafted him at 83. But IMO if he really wanted Hennessy I doubt he'd get that cute about it for what was probably their pick #178.

The Jets have a proven young starting center, signed for the next 3 seasons, at what's currently reasonable starter $. They also have an experienced backup signed for the year at very reasonable $. Neither Douglas nor Gase seems to undervalue OL importance (and after the Paradis and Kalil stories, not at center). So after signing McGovern and the remaining results that we didn't even take a shot in the dark late on a center prospect - says he probably wasn't targeting him, or wasn't targeting him unless he fell to an even later pick of ours. One doesn't like a center prospect on day 2 only if he also comes along with the #178 pick. JMO.

Unless the trading team is only coming up one pick, asking who they want doesnt mean you still get the player you wanted with your pick.  Even if Denver had told him they wanted someone else, it wouldnt protect the player from other teams drafting him.

Anytime you drop back for more picks you need to have a block of players that youre happy selecting from.  At 83 Douglas probably had Zuniga and 3-4 or more players he found acceptable   Hennessey might have been one of them.   The jump down in the second was bigger but the concept is the same.  

The good thing about being so talent deprived is that you go bpa nearly all the time and improve your team.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, redlichtie said:

After the move for McGovern I got the sense the Jets would be less focused on Center in this year's Draft.  We know the OLine rebuild has been Priority 1 but the focus during this Draft seemed to be OT, as it should have been.  Wouldn't be surprised if Center is a Day 2 target either next year or the year following.

If I had to guess right now I think our "premium position" of focus for next year's Draft will be either CB or Edge rusher in Round 1.  Really need that true CB1 depending on how Desir, Hall and Austin look this season.  Ideally, I think each of those guys could be CB2 material.

• Upvote 2

The vibes on the team are so freaking positive. There’s always offseason hype and fluff pieces, and the Jets always seem to be the offseason champs, but for the first time in my life as a Jets fan, this franchise is finally coming together.

Darnold will have to take that next step in spite of the 5 year proven track record of incompetence at the head coaching spot, but at least he’s got a real GM to build this team. The GM is supplementing Darnold’s abilities by giving him a defense to take pressure off of him, an OL to protect him, and weapons to elevate him. It’s a work in progress but it really looks like they finally have 2 of the 3 most important pieces to football team locked up.

I truly believe that once we finally get a halfway decent offensive mind/competent head coach in here, we’ll be looking at a solid 10-12 years of competitive ball. That’s something that I’ve never felt with this team. Ever.

• Post of the Week 1

Any optimism about last year was centered on two big names, Le’Veon Bell and CJ Mosely.  The optimism this year is based on one big name.... Joe Douglas.  It's the confidence we're starting to build that there's a steady, capable hand on the steering wheel of this franchise.

Douglas isn't following Maccagnan's approach of trying to distract the owner and fans with shiny objects.  He's building a foundation and it's been really satisfying to watch this unfold the past few months.

7 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Unless the trading team is only coming up one pick, asking who they want doesnt mean you still get the player you wanted with your pick.  Even if Denver had told him they wanted someone else, it wouldnt protect the player from other teams drafting him.

Anytime you drop back for more picks you need to have a block of players that youre happy selecting from.  At 83 Douglas probably had Zuniga and 3-4 or more players he found acceptable   Hennessey might have been one of them.   The jump down in the second was bigger but the concept is the same.  

The good thing about being so talent deprived is that you go bpa nearly all the time and improve your team.

Lol no doubt