Dalton to Dallas

9 hours ago, King P said:

And this is a problem why?

Is a QB being surrounded by weapons not a good thing?

90% of this board would kill to give Darnold the weapons Dak has. And if Sam threw for almost 5K yards with 30 TDs and only 11 INTs, we'd be ready to crown him.

Who said it’s a problem? It’s a great thing. Problem is it’s hard to pay your qb 35m and have all those other pieces. If you pay your qb 35m he has to be able to thrive without having Everything . IMO Dak has not shown to be that type of qb. He’s good, he’s not top level IMO.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I think the Goff and Dak situation is analogous because of these reasons and should perhaps serve as a cautionary tale for teams signing young QBs to Russell Wilson money. Goff, by every statistical measure, was a middling-to-lower half QB this year, and much of that is attributable to the downturn of Gurley, which also impacted the OL. Teams get stuck handing out massive contracts to QBs and have to cut corners everywhere else, and that expensive QB suffers for it. The Seahawks just cut their offensive line this year and replaced them with Brandon Shell. I’ve said forever that the league should allow you to exempt one QB salary from counting against the cap, because it’s a drag watching teams have the promising young superstar QB get killed behind a pack of bargain-bin interior OL because they can’t afford to hold on to talent. Jerry can sign Dak, but then he’s got a, maybe, two year window before he has to take an axe to every other position group to accommodate that salary...and only then do you get to see how talented Dak really is. 

I think the Gurley/OL chicken & egg may be at least partially backwards here. He was a healthy 22 year-old in his 2nd year yet put forth a 2019 Bell like season when the OL wasn’t good. Not coincidentally, Goff looked like a bust. 

I do agree these QB contracts for the also-rans is ridiculous, and just because so many teams do it doesn’t make it any smarter. I think they’ve just accepted it as a necessary evil.

But it highlights the stupidity of a slow, methodical build (“the smart way” as it’s put here) after drafting a QB. Teams that get hold of a young QB on his rookie deal should be using the extra $30MM/year and picks on help around him instead of worrying about being well-balanced. I’ll give that to Carroll out in Seattle, that he did just that while Russell Wilson was making basically veteran-minimum dollars for his first 4 seasons.

It’s one of the more infuriating parts of Darnold’s management that the team that was preparing for a big splash QB in 2018 saw fit to see the OL and WR groups as an afterthought the season before (and FA period of 2018 as well), letting Darnold walk into an offense where we’d ideally want to make upgrades at all 10 starting positions around him -- which provided him with 2 years of excuses so far. It’s a delusional GM mentality that presumes they can just draft players that fit as needed, and even worse that they’ll all start performing as rookies despite the regime’s spotty-at-best draft record to begin with. 

What were we talking about again? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, heymangold said:

that was 5 years ago....

to both these - i also don't understand how we're devaluing his performance based on the team around him.  all we say on this board is how good sam would be if he was given an o-line and weapons.  so now that it's dak and the cowboys and he's on a team that was built around him to help him succeed, he's just lucky to be there?

Did I miss something? Did Dallas win anything last year?

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

That would be awesome. Dak be like,” they paid Brady wut?” LOL 

amazingly a startup company called AD14 suddenly begins doing business in the vitamin supplement industry

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Did I miss something? Did Dallas win anything last year?

the argument isn't whether or not dallas won anything last year. 

the argument is that you're devaluing dak and his ability by saying he is only doing it because he has a good o-line and weapons. 

in the same breath, everyone says how good sam could be IF he had an o-line and weapons.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I think the Gurley/OL chicken & egg may be at least partially backwards here. He was a healthy 22 year-old in his 2nd year yet put forth a 2019 Bell like season when the OL wasn’t good. Not coincidentally, Goff looked like a bust. 

I do agree these QB contracts for the also-rans is ridiculous, and just because so many teams do it doesn’t make it any smarter. I think they’ve just accepted it as a necessary evil.

But it highlights the stupidity of a slow, methodical build (“the smart way” as it’s put here) after drafting a QB. Teams that get hold of a young QB on his rookie deal should be using the extra $30MM/year on help around him instead of worrying about being well-balanced. I’ll give that to Carroll out in Seattle, that he did just that while Russell Wilson was making basically veteran-minimum dollars for his first 4 seasons. It’s one of the more infuriating parts of Darnold’s management that the team that was preparing for a big splash QB in 2018 saw fit to see the OL and WR groups as an afterthought the season before (and FA period of 2018 as well), letting Darnold walk into an offense where we’d ideally want to make upgrades at all 10 starting positions around him. It’s a delusional mentality that presumes they can just draft players that fit as needed, and even worse that they’ll all start performing as rookies despite the regime’s spotty-at-best draft record to begin with. 

Great post, and I agree with 98% of it, but I think the chicken in this scenario was Gurley’s knee falling apart for good. Goff was exposed, imo

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

A lot of guys here have a hard time giving credit to other team's QB's. Especially the younger ones. I think they're afraid that if they do, it will be a knock on our guy. The only one they give credit is Mahomes and they even qualify that by saying Darnold would be just as good in that offense.

According to them, every QB in the league under 30 pales in comparison to our redhead.

I Thought I band him? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

A lot of guys here have a hard time giving credit to other team's QB's. Especially the younger ones. I think they're afraid that if they do, it will be a knock on our guy. The only one they give credit is Mahomes and they even qualify that by saying Darnold would be just as good in that offense.

According to them, every QB in the league under 30 pales in comparison to our redhead.

Danny Dimes isn’t a redhead is he? 

26 minutes ago, heymangold said:

the argument isn't whether or not dallas won anything last year. 

the argument is that you're devaluing dak and his ability by saying he is only doing it because he has a good o-line and weapons. 

in the same breath, everyone says how good sam could be IF he had an o-line and weapons.

Well, hopefully we’ll see this year. 

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Great post, and I agree with 98% of it, but I think the chicken in this scenario was Gurley’s knee falling apart for good. Goff was exposed, imo

I don't think he's a top 5 QB or anything like that, but in a terrible down season Goff threw for almost 5000 yards and had 3 separate receivers with exceptional catch rates. That doesn't happen only because of Gurley. JMO. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, King P said:

if Sam threw for almost 5K yards with 30 TDs and only 11 INTs, we'd be ready to crown him.

@TeddEY  already said it, Jetnation has crowned Darnold as a guy with a Rivers floor tho he has been one of the worst QBs in the league for 2 yrs....

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think he's a top 5 QB or anything like that, but in a terrible down season Goff threw for almost 5000 yards and had 3 separate receivers with exceptional catch rates. That doesn't happen only because of Gurley. JMO. 

and then NE showed how to defend them by never chasing the guy in motion across the field...

16 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

There are a lot of people here. What you just described would better be summed up by saying, some people here.

The majority of people do not fit into what you said.

A lot of guys here disagree with your post.

• Upvote 3

On 5/2/2020 at 10:01 PM, T0mShane said:

Brutal for Dak. That offense is loaded up the ass. You’d think they’d be alright with Dalton. It’d eat me alive as an owner to have to pay Dak Prescott $35 million dollars per year. 

Dak is actually pretty good but I don't know that I'd pay him $35M.  I think there's a chance they could get by with Dalton, considering how good the weapons they have are.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But it highlights the stupidity of a slow, methodical build (“the smart way” as it’s put here) after drafting a QB. Teams that get hold of a young QB on his rookie deal should be using the extra $30MM/year and picks on help around him instead of worrying about being well-balanced. I’ll give that to Carroll out in Seattle, that he did just that while Russell Wilson was making basically veteran-minimum dollars for his first 4 seasons.

It’s one of the more infuriating parts of Darnold’s management that the team that was preparing for a big splash QB in 2018 saw fit to see the OL and WR groups as an afterthought the season before (and FA period of 2018 as well), letting Darnold walk into an offense where we’d ideally want to make upgrades at all 10 starting positions around him -- which provided him with 2 years of excuses so far. It’s a delusional GM mentality that presumes they can just draft players that fit as needed, and even worse that they’ll all start performing as rookies despite the regime’s spotty-at-best draft record to begin with. 

excellent points about mac not getting ready for drafting darnold in 2018.  imagine if he used a couple of the first round picks on oline or  wr and traded back for more picks.  and even if he thought hack was going to be good, he should have been building up the oline.  the thing too is that the oline comes together slower than the dline so it's easier to pick a guy and stick him in and have success.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, rangerous said:

excellent points about mac not getting ready for drafting darnold in 2018.  imagine if he used a couple of the first round picks on oline or  wr and traded back for more picks.  and even if he thought hack was going to be good, he should have been building up the oline.  the thing too is that the oline comes together slower than the dline so it's easier to pick a guy and stick him in and have success.

Geez I'm really hating reliving how badly Mac did.  It's all so fking true.  Idzik >> Mac.  

On 5/2/2020 at 9:24 PM, Jetstimeisnow said:

Dalton is at least as good as Dak, Dak is so overrated it’s crazy

Finally some reality. Dak is incredibly overrated He can be phenomenal one game and below pedestrian the next. His decision making has not matured the way it should have and at times, does not have a sense of where the rush is coming from. Sorry, I do NOT see overpaying for him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

Geez I'm really hating reliving how badly Mac did.  It's all so fking true.  Idzik >> Mac.  

i know how you feel.  it's like waking up after a long drunk and finding a donkey in bed.  not to belabor the point too much, but until he realized his qb wasn't a hack he should've kept trying to draft one. he had his choice of watson or mahommes and decided hack was the guy????  and even if hack was the guy mac needed to straighten out the oline and wr's once it was clear brick and mangold were leaving.

• Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, DonCorleone said:

Finally some reality. Dak is incredibly overrated He can be phenomenal one game and below pedestrian the next. His decision making has not matured the way it should have and at times, does not have a sense of where the rush is coming from. Sorry, I do NOT see overpaying for him.

Dak is the most overrated player in the nfl after Baker

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Wrong again.

The Jets have beaten Dak. 0-2 vs Baker.

0-2 against the Browns.

Mayfield was absolutely awful in last year’s game. Worst player on their team by some distance.

Any member of this forum QB’s the browns to victory in that game.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

0-2 against the Browns.

Mayfield was absolutely awful in last year’s game. Worst player on their team by some distance.

Any member of this forum QB’s the browns to victory in that game.

14 in Green is still clinging to ‘18

On 5/2/2020 at 10:16 PM, JetFan20 said:

I think fans are making more of this than it is.

Dalton has made plenty of $ in his career. He’s obviously perfectly happy going back to Texas as a backup.

For the cowboys it gives them a great insurance policy for Dak.

And if Dak holds out, even better for him.