Cimini - Becton

I love the pick. He looks like Jonathan Ogden to me. If he’s even 75% of that, we’re good. 

I will say this, though. Parcells once said “the kid’s a big fella at 370, but he’s one biscuit away from 400”.  Becton carries a big frame and has the unfortunate propensity to gain a lot more weight. I hope that’s not the case. I hope we have a nutritionist on his hip the first couple of years to keep him on the right path moving forward. It’s the only thing that can ruin him. 
His strength coach said he carried 17% body fat last season. He has over 300lbs of lean muscle mass, which explains his 40 time among other things. The kid is just different on many levels.
  • Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I give him a year at RT unless Fant struggles and Becton shows ability and smarts.
No reason to put him in the fire coming straight out of the ACC. If it were SEC then yeah, he had good preparation at the Pro level. 

If Fant struggles and Becton not ready I’d have Beachum in the bullpen warming up 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

"The guy moves people like furniture," Jets assistant general manager Rex Hogan said.

This is just a fun quote 

32 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:
[Becton] adapted nicely to the Cardinals' wide-zone blocking scheme, one that requires the linemen to be athletic because they have to make second-level blocks and cut off backside defenders.

This sounds exactly like Gase's scheme. 

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Prez33 said:

I love the pick. He looks like Jonathan Ogden to me. If he’s even 75% of that, we’re good. 

I will say this, though. Parcells once said “the kid’s a big fella at 370, but he’s one biscuit away from 400”.  Becton carries a big frame and has the unfortunate propensity to gain a lot more weight. I hope that’s not the case. I hope we have a nutritionist on his hip the first couple of years to keep him on the right path moving forward. It’s the only thing that can ruin him. 

Yeah, but even when he was his heaviest in college at 389lbs, he had only 20% body fat.  Muscle weighs more than fat.  A 389 lbs human being with 20% body fat is not just a monster....friggin super Hero!  389 with 30-40 % fat is a fatty.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

I think the only things that will likely prevent him from becoming a top level player are potential injuries, which no one can control, and his work ethic, which he certainly does.  Obviously it's just a small window, but everything I've read about him the past 2-3 months indicate he has the desire and is not afraid to out in the work to be great.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Lil O said:

Yeah, but even when he was his heaviest in college at 389lbs, he had only 20% body fat.  Muscle weighs more than fat.  A 389 lbs human being with 20% body fat is not just a monster....friggin super Hero!  389 with 30-40 % fat is a fatty.

He was 363 last weigh in.  Trent Brown is 358

Just now, Philc1 said:

He was 363 last weigh in.  Trent Brown is 358

Wait until he can get in an NFL weight training program!!  He is only going to get stronger and stronger.  Man I can’t wait to see how good he gets once he reaches is potential.

• Upvote 1

I just had a thought about this kid with his speed and ability to get off the line. I hope Gase tries some plays perhaps in the redzone. He wanted to play TE so let him catch a ball, nobody's stopping this guy. It would be fun to watch.

Like I said on zoom during draft night, my only concern for a man his size are issues that come with just being that tall and strong. Joint issues/injuries, etc. He's super athletic and not fat at all. So those should help. Outside of maintaining his already good body fat they should be trying to strengthen areas of potential injury which I hope they are doing anyway (hamstrings to protect the back/knee, etc.)

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

This part should reassure some of the folks who thought the Jets were swayed by the combine into drafting a workout warrior

Finally the Jets have a real organizational plan with a GM who seems to know what he is doing!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Becton improved his leverage by learning how to play out of a three-point stance, something he didn't have to do under the previous staff.

He also adapted nicely to the Cardinals' wide-zone blocking scheme, one that requires the linemen to be athletic because they have to make second-level blocks and cut off backside defenders. Initially, Ledford had doubts about whether Becton was too big to get where he needed to be. Those were erased after one practice.

"We've got nothing to worry about," Ledford told Cardinals coach Scott Satterfield afterward.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Ken Schroy said:

I just had a thought about this kid with his speed and ability to get off the line. I hope Gase tries some plays perhaps in the redzone. He wanted to play TE so let him catch a ball, nobody's stopping this guy. It would be fun to watch.

I don't know. Seems like they would go for the legs. That;s the thing that scares me about this guy.  His legs holding up for the long haul. Id hate to see 255 lb. LB's heading straight for his knees with a head full of steam. 

The improvement in his play last year is what stands out.

I found his earlier performances in Lamar Jackson's vids and it was pretty rough. He was getting beaten by basic moves and looking lost on some plays (Jackson didn't always help in this regard). The 2019 vids though that @RobR was posting in the draft forum are of a different player. Just an animal who's dominating his opponent from start to finish. You can see the difference in confidence - he's a guy who looks to take the initiative and attack the defence. 

I do think he'll struggle with the NFL early on and this is why the improvement is encouraging. I still have vivid memories of D'Brick being called a bust after 4 games because he couldn't handle Dwight Freeney right away. I think putting him at right tackle is a nice idea but not sure either Fant or Edoga are up to playing on the left. I wouldn't be shocked if Beachum is brought in the second we get a good look at these guys.

21 hours ago, Lil O said:

Wait until he can get in an NFL weight training program!!  He is only going to get stronger and stronger.  Man I can’t wait to see how good he gets once he reaches is potential.

i hope they don't make him musclebound.  they will need to condition him and improve his agility and stamina but i don't think stregth should be the prime directive.

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i hope they don't make him musclebound.  they will need to condition him and improve his agility and stamina but i don't think stregth should be the prime directive.

I trust professional NFL Trainers to know what they are doing.  I was a personal trainer in my youth, and some of the greatest strength and conditioning trainers in the world work for the NFL.  Strength is only a “prime directive” if that is a weak point for the player and they NEED to gain weight and/or strength.  Becton’s strength is his greatest asset right now, and they will make technique his “prime directive”, but that doesn’t change the fact that most all NFL rookies get stronger after their first NFL weight training.  They will focus on his weaknesses, BUT he is going to be even stronger than he is now, because of better technique and NFL strength training.

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Musclebound?  Is it 1946?  I don't think that is really a thing now.

yeah i guess when ed hochelee shows off his "guns" he's not trying to be musclebound.  or gholston?  it shouldn't be a thing now because the musclebound guys just aren't very good players.

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yeah i guess when ed hochelee shows off his "guns" he's not trying to be musclebound.  or gholston?  it shouldn't be a thing now because the musclebound guys just aren't very good players.

If J.J. Watt sucked you'd say he is musclebound.  I used to workout with a kicker that spent some time on NFL rosters.  He was as jacked as  you can imagine.  Most of these guys are.  Go look at some pictures of Derrick Henry, Laron Landry, Josh Gordon, almost any of these guys are jacked more than body builders from the 70's.  They can still play and still have their flexibility.

20 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

If J.J. Watt sucked you'd say he is musclebound.  I used to workout with a kicker that spent some time on NFL rosters.  He was as jacked as  you can imagine.  Most of these guys are.  Go look at some pictures of Derrick Henry, Laron Landry, Josh Gordon, almost any of these guys are jacked more than body builders from the 70's.  They can still play and still have their flexibility.

frankly i'm thinking of the guys who want to look like arnold.

On 5/3/2020 at 10:32 AM, Prez33 said:

Looked often that under Bowles/Macagnan, there wasn't much in the way of guidance for rookies here. Think this regime has to be smarter just showing up.