JuJu Smith Schuster might be free after next season.

Suprisingly, there are stories coming out of Pittsburgh that the Steelers probably won't resign JJSS, who is a free agent after this year:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/05/02/options-for-pittsburgh-steelers-wr-juju-smith-schuster/

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/news/256579/juju-smith-schuster-beat-writer-considers-it-unlikely-pit-re-signs-him.php

If you weren't aware, Darnold & JJSS were teammates for 2 years at USC. JJSS is a big fan of Darnold (and apparently of Jamal Adams): https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/pro-bowl-wr-juju-smith-schuster-sam-darnold-is-a-great-locker-room-guy

I would love to see Darnold throwing to JJSS and Mims for the next 5-6 years. Something to file away and keep an eye on. 

I fixed the title so some of you would not be so butt hurt. 

• Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1

Juju had a great season as a #2 to one of the best WR’s in a decade. Once Brown was gone JuJu has been pedestrian. He’s a nice guy, does a lot of funny light hearted stuff that gets him attention, but much like Jamal Adams I think his social media presence gives him the national attention that makes people think he’s a lot better than he is. He can be a serviceable #2 but he’ll never duplicate his past performance.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Very interesting. Seeing Hopkins traded makes me think sometimes having that #1 guy upsets the overall balance of the team. 
Sure, having them opens up other options but GOING to those other options seems to always upset these prima donnas & next thing you know their in the QBs ear. 
You win in this league with selfless play & everyone on board that winning is what matters forget individual statistics. 
I think it’s better to have 3 above average WRs instead of that 1 top guy. 
While Jet fans are not high on Perriman & Doctson, having the pressure alleviated by Mims taking on the #1 role could really catapult these guys. Plus we have Crowder in the slot & Herndon/Griffin at TE & Bell is insanely adept at catching balls out of the backfield. 
Again it’s the idea of the SUM OF ALL PARTS. 
Mims is like a bigger Steve Smith, Perriman is a much stronger Robbie, we already know Crowder just gets open & now as a domino Doctson working against 3rd & 4th CBs, Safeties, or abusing LBs trying to cover him. 
Sam should have plenty of weapons & none of them so special that their screaming for the ball. Just a group of good players encouraging each other, wanting to win & hopefully celebrating a lot of TDs spread out through the entire group. 

• Upvote 4

Nah if we’re gonna trade significant draft capital/spend big money on a WR I’d rather spend it on a proven WR1. I like JuJu but the drop off in his production post Brown is alarming 

• Upvote 3

100% on board for JuJu. His down year can be attributed to injuries and the QBs he had to play with. Guy is a gamer, pure and simple.

Can see the argument for not wanting to give up a bunch of draft capital to get him though, but if he ends up as a free agent, definitely want the Jets to pursue him.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm getting a better sense about Joe Douglas that he really has some foresight for position availability in the coming years.

It sounds like WRs are becoming similar to RBs and there could be some oversupply.  Sure, the truly great ones will always be in high demand and make big $$, but Joe saw the market for Robby Anderson was less than people thought....yet still too rich for him.  He threw $5M at Perriman.  And then, in a Draft loaded with WRs, he plucked the one guy he wanted while some other teams went to the well over and over (ex. Raiders).  Seeing Deandre Hopkins get traded for less than we thought was another indication of what is happening in the WR market I believe.

WRs are going to hit the street soon.  If not this year, then next year, as the NFL is absorbing multiple years of heavy WR draft classes.  That large, talented 2014 WR group is now in the 26-28 year old range....right in their primes.  Joe sees what's coming!  He'll be ready once again to pay 70 cents on the $1 for very good WRs.

230822746_ScreenShot2020-05-03at9_11_47AM.png.875ca4105cf5f2bf348dc2e0cfd2e7ba.png 

We know they won't all work out but that's a big number!  Essentially every single NFL team could have found a WR1, 2 or 3 in this most recent Draft.  That pushes out some players.

I agree. Daniel Jeremiah said in an interview that he did before the draft, how the Jets are set up to make a big push in the next off season and see them really taking off next year.. Skip to 9:16

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Marshmello said:

I agree. Daniel Jeremiah said in an interview that he did before the draft, how the Jets are set up to make a big push in the next off season and see them really taking off next year.. Skip to 9:16

Nice!  Joe really does have a plan.  It's great to see.  We're heading into Darnold's 3rd year.  He's cheap this season and next.  It's really during the 5th year option that his price would spike (if the Jets haven't extended him, although I'd expect they would have by then).  2021 feels like the year they might really try to go for it.

Why would the Steelers let juJu walk. makes no sense. They have no one to replace him and Antonio Brown is long gone and aint coming back.  JuJU is one of the finest young wr's in the NFL.  It would be asinine to let him leave.

4 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Why would the Steelers let juJu walk. makes no sense. They have no one to replace him and Antonio Brown is long gone and aint coming back.  JuJU is one of the finest young wr's in the NFL.  It would be asinine to let him leave.

One of their best writers reported Pittsburgh is “unlikely to resign” him. If he hits the market you’d have to think Jets heavily pursue him. He had 1500 receiving yards two years ago.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Snell41 said:

Juju had a great season as a #2 to one of the best WR’s in a decade. Once Brown was gone JuJu has been pedestrian. He’s a nice guy, does a lot of funny light hearted stuff that gets him attention, but much like Jamal Adams I think his social media presence gives him the national attention that makes people think he’s a lot better than he is. He can be a serviceable #2 but he’ll never duplicate his past performance.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Or you could say once his QB was gone he was pedestrian.  He went from a Hall of Fame QB to 2 different backups.

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

Because they see him every day and know he's a #2 that will want to be paid like a #1?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

He is a good wr2. Steelers fans thought he was as good as Brown hahahaha

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

He is a good wr2.  Steelers fans thought he was as good as Brown hahahaha

Brown opened things up for him. No doubt. But JuJu had some impressive plays and is still just a kid.  JuJu or Robbie. LOL  Robbie got 10 M per year -- 2 years.  JuJu would be even more expensive.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

They love Diontae Johnson and think James Washington is ready to break out. They also drafted Chase Claypool, and supposedly Deon Cain has looked good for them.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

They love Diontae Johnson and think James Washington is ready to break out. They also drafted Chase Claypool, and supposedly Deon Cain has looked good for them.

Good. Let them go with those guys. JuJu knows Darnold. Darnold knows Juju.  They'd be like green eggs and ham again. Darnold has a good rapport with Herndon and Crowder.  He needs a go to WR. For all his speed, Robbie was a one trick  pony. and never totally rhymed with  Darnold.  Juju has all the tools, speed, hands, YAC, is shifty, good route runner.  And he's proved he can play in the NFL and put up numbers.  He'd be a great addition to our WR corp.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Good. Let them go with those guys. JuJu knows Darnold. Darnold knows Juju.  They'd be like green eggs and ham again. Darnold has a good rapport with Herndon and Crowder.  He needs a go to WR. For all his speed, Robbie was a one trick  pony. and never totally rhymed with  Darnold.  Juju has all the tools, speed, hands, YAC, is shifty, good route runner.  And he's proved he can play in the NFL and put up numbers.  He'd be a great addition to our WR corp.  

So... really Douglas needs to get on the horn with Arizona to get Dan Arnold. Because he rhymes with Darnold.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m with you. Call em up. See what they want. Can’t be too much if they’re going to let him walk anyway.

Called. They want Adams. Deal and had them throw in their 3rd rounder.  But I insisted on a no hands clause on our mascot.