JuJu Smith Schuster might be free after next season.

I think it can’t be understated that Sam and JuJu have a relationship and have been successful together. A top 3 of JuJu, Mims, and crowder with Perriman possibly building off of the last 5 weeks of last year is solid. Rebuilding the line and throwing in Mims and JuJu, with Herndon coming back and possibly Bell on his last year, possibly playing for another contract Could really elevate the offense.

The asking price for JuJu will be high..... THAT BEING SAID, if he has another tough start to the season, and they really like the young guys they have, maybe a mid season trade can open up.  Say JuJu has a multiple drop start to the season, throw in some fumbles, loses favor with the staff, perhaps you can grab him for a 2nd? 3rd? 

last year in 12 games (missed 4) he posted his career lows in almost all relevant statistical categories, if that continues over the course of the season then its possible the steelers may be open to moving him. 

51 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You brought up the importance of teh rhymez ;)

You must be a Maccagnan plant.

Actually I was one of the first to expose this fool.  And was thrown rocks at for it.  And I hate eggplant.

I think it’s possible that the Jets pursue JuJu but I don’t think the timelines quite add up. He’s played way better in the slot - the Claypool addition I think further shows that they want him there. He’s a free agent next year and Crowder is blocking him.

I do think that the NFL is moving in a direction that you’re going to play on high volume through your slot and/or tight end. It’s easier to attack with guys who can work from the middle of the field and passing just earns more yards on a per play basis than running. The Jets do that with Crowder now - who is solid and did well getting peppered with targets.

I also think the Jets are kind of attempting to build an offense that’s extra effective working the middle of the field by stretching the field vertically with the outside receivers. Focus too much on stopping our slot and tight end? Our outside guys can burn you deep for a big play.

Two big questions and one small one moving forward.

Small question - who’s the outside receiver after Perriman? Are the Jets able to find a long-term guy in Smith, Doctson, or a UDFA who fits the mold they want, is that addressed next offseason, or is Perriman a fit who gets extended?

Is Herndon the guy at tight end? I know the Jets were really excited about him and he was rock solid as a rookie. That being said, he fell in the draft due to injury issues at Miami and had injury issues last season. If next year is more of the same...it’s early but the 2021 tight end draft class looks quite good.

And as for the third receiver, what is the long term goal in the slot? Gase has Crowder now, had Landry in the last, but also has had those little jitterbug YAC guys who are explosive. Douglas has mentioned how he wants explosive players as well. My guess is that they want a really explosive but smaller player in the slot and to work the tight end(s) for volume. Darnold loves throwing to tight ends, attacking vertically from the slot is challenging to defend and would add another dimension to the speed creates pressure, pressure bursts pipes narrative.

It’s possible to get a slot guy who’s going to be the long-term centerpiece of the offense. We’ll see what Waddle does at Alabama, I clearly like Rondale Moore. Get a guy who can make plays in space and stretch the field vertically, put him in the slot, create touches - and those touches are likely in space because you’re pressuring the other team down the field.

Also want to touch on the narrative of WR’s I tend to see which is looking for #1’s, etc. First of all, I love the old Packers model from the early Rodgers days where you get a bunch of guys who can play and then spread the ball and continue to have a pipeline of dudes. Greg Jennings was the dude until Nelson was until Adams was...they lost it but it’s easier for the top guys there when the guys below them are capable of growing into that role. So I think the elite #1 is overrated and generally not cap effective either.

Additionally, think the slot gets a #3 label too often. Crowder eats up targets for the Jets. He’s the #1 right now. Maybe not best suited there but he’s the top target in the passing game. The Jets are probably going to have an outside receiver who’s their #3 for the foreseeable future, IMO. And I think that’s fine, possibly ideal. Guy will get less volume but keep the field spread and create some big plays.

On 5/3/2020 at 1:34 PM, Jetster said:

Very interesting. Seeing Hopkins traded makes me think sometimes having that #1 guy upsets the overall balance of the team. 
Sure, having them opens up other options but GOING to those other options seems to always upset these prima donnas & next thing you know their in the QBs ear. 
You win in this league with selfless play & everyone on board that winning is what matters forget individual statistics. 
I think it’s better to have 3 above average WRs instead of that 1 top guy
While Jet fans are not high on Perriman & Doctson, having the pressure alleviated by Mims taking on the #1 role could really catapult these guys. Plus we have Crowder in the slot & Herndon/Griffin at TE & Bell is insanely adept at catching balls out of the backfield. 
Again it’s the idea of the SUM OF ALL PARTS
Mims is like a bigger Steve Smith, Perriman is a much stronger Robbie, we already know Crowder just gets open & now as a domino Doctson working against 3rd & 4th CBs, Safeties, or abusing LBs trying to cover him. 
Sam should have plenty of weapons & none of them so special that their screaming for the ball. Just a group of good players encouraging each other, wanting to win & hopefully celebrating a lot of TDs spread out through the entire group. 

I'm also a firm believer in..."the whole is greater then the sum of its parts".  Spraying the ball around to as many capable receivers...is a better way of keeping defenses on their toes guessing.  Then having one guy catching 100+ balls.  What happens when that 100 catch player gets injured?  Or is focused on by a good defense in the playoffs.  Intent on taking him out of the action.  Challenging an offense to "Go ahead and beat us without your #1 guy's production".

Jets have balance now with Mims added to the receiving unit.  Yes...he will help Perriman and Doctson.   And Ryan Griffin gets teamed up with returning TE Herndon...who should  continue his chemistry development with Darnold.  Then add a quality depth receiving back like Perrine, to Bell's elite receiving skills. 

Mims-Perriman-Crowder-Herndon-Bell...that's a good bunch of catchers for defenses to contend with.

Jets now have a lot of balance of weapons in the passing game...for Gase to gameplan with...and Darnold to utilize.

Also...

I don't see JD getting into bidding wars over receivers.  LOS players will always be the top priority.  The only chance I see JD aggressively going all out for a particular player....would be if that guy is the final piece for Jets becoming a legit Supe contender.  Unfortunately...that's not happening next year.  Maybe in two years though...I hope.