Is Darnold the Best QB to come out in the Last 3 years?

He's consistent..... I have to give him that.  Orlovsky has always been on the Darnold train.

Sam should finally have an opportunity to prove Dan right after getting an upgraded Line, an additional weapon or two and, most importantly in my opinion, playing consecutive seasons in the SAME offensive system for the first time in 3 years (USC, Bates, Gase...and now Gase again).

As important as the offensive line upgrades have been I think we've underestimated the challenge of transitioning to a new system, truly absorbing it and finally being comfortable with it.

• Upvote 4

I mean its really really hard not to go with Lamar Jackson after what he did last year. Those numbers were just absurd, especially when you consider the fact that he rushed for over 1,000yrds. 

But Darnold is probably next. And if Lamar has a down year for whatever reason and Darnold continues to improve or has a 'breakout' year, he's gonna be the better QB to come out of that draft until further notice. 

But Allen, Mayfield, K.Murray, Daniel Jones, maybe even Drew Lock can all vault themselves with great seasons next year.  

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

I mean its really really hard not to go with Lamar Jackson after what he did last year. Those numbers were just absurd, especially when you consider the fact that he rushed for over 1,000yrds. 

But Darnold is probably next. And if Lamar has a down year for whatever reason and Darnold continues to improve or has a 'breakout' year, he's gonna be the better QB to come out of that draft until further notice. 

But Allen, Mayfield, K.Murray, Daniel Jones, maybe even Drew Lock can all vault themselves with great seasons next year.  

I'd still take Darnold over Lamar Jackson.  But if Pat Mahomes is within that timeframe (I can't remember but I think he is) then obviously he's the winner.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, playtowinthegame said:

295113611_JetsKoolAid.jpg.8714d58e3dea997046140d9633207a55.jpg

19 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

No

Ok. I mean I get the knee-jerk negativity that embodies every Jet fan but other than Lamar Jackson who had an MVP season last year who else comes to mind to be so head and shoulders better than Darnold since the 2018 draft? 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

But if Pat Mahomes is within that timeframe (I can't remember but I think he is) then obviously he's the winner.

My understanding is that the timeframe starts from when Darnold was drafted? If not then (apart from Lamar Jackson) its CLEARLY Mahomes...and Watson would also have to be ahead of Darnold at this point in his career. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

28 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

He's consistent..... I have to give him that.  Orlovsky has always been on the Darnold train.

Sam should finally have an opportunity to prove Dan right after getting an upgraded Line, an additional weapon or two and, most importantly in my opinion, playing consecutive seasons in the SAME offensive system for the first time in 3 years (USC, Bates, Gase...and now Gase again).

As important as the offensive line upgrades have been I think we've underestimated the challenge of transitioning to a new system, truly absorbing it and finally being comfortable with it.

Agreed. The jets have done this to quarterbacks time and time again. Pretty sure Sanchez was in three different offenses three consecutive years. Sam was for two. Hopefully some consistency will breed better production.

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

He’s the best QB to come out of college since 2012.

I’m assuming you’re talking about them solely as prospects. Because I love Sam and would take him over anyone in the last three years*; but if we’re projecting NFL careers today for QBs dating back to 2012, at Mahomes’ current trajectory, he’ll go down as the GOAT. 

*that’s including LJax who won me lots of bets and 3 different fantasy leagues this year because I targeted him early and often because he’s an amazing football player, but can’t project him long term because of obvious injury concerns.

56 minutes ago, predator_05 said:

He is.

But he's got the toughest gig. Hard to turn things around at a perpetually re-building ball club that's forgotten how to win consistently

Considering we just rebuilt the Jets roster last week his odds are looking up.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, New York Mick said:

1. Jackson - for now

2. Allen - for now

3a - Mayfield 

3b - Darnold 

Jackson and Allen are both better then Darnold at this moment but probably won’t be in a few years. Darnold and Mayfield look like they could be the best two out of this draft but they need to prove it. 

I just hope Darnold is still a Jet when this happens.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I’m assuming you’re talking about them solely as prospects. Because I love Sam and would take him over anyone in the last three years*; but if we’re projecting NFL careers today for QBs dating back to 2012, at Mahomes’ current trajectory, he’ll go down as the GOAT. 

*that’s including LJax who won me lots of bets and 3 different fantasy leagues this year because I targeted him early and often because he’s an amazing football player, but can’t project him long term because of obvious injury concerns.

I'd argue that there shouldn't be any huge injury concerns for Jackson. He absorbs contact in such a manner that a lot of the force is spread out across his body. Basically, he moves his body in a way so as to where he doesn't take lots of really hard hits.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I'd argue that there shouldn't be any huge injury concerns for Jackson. He absorbs contact in such a manner that a lot of the force is spread out across his body. Basically, he moves his body in a way so as to where he doesn't take lots of really hard hits.

It's fair to question the sustainability of Jackson's workload at QB. He can protect himself 99% of the time until he needs to stretch out to get another six inches. Is expecting half of your team's rushing production coming from the QB gonna be your offensive model going forward? 

I think if he can develop into more of a traditional QB, no one in this class will top him. 

Some of you aren't going to like this, but in what world is Darnold better than Kyler? Kyler has better numbers as both a passer and a runner.

Kyler averages more passing yards per game

Kyler averages more rushing yards per game

Kyler averages less turnovers per game.

Kyler has a higer completion % than Darnold

Kyler has a higher QB rating

Kyler has a higher PFF grade

Kyler is younger than Darnold

Kyler won OROY

Some people will point to coaching, but Kyler did it with a rookie head coach.

Some people will point to weapons, but Robbie Anderson and Jamison Crowder have outperformed Larry Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk in 2018 and 2019. Leveon Bell is also better than David Johnson and Kenyan Drake.

For the projected 2020 starters, If you are basing this off 2019 production it goes..........

1. Lamar

2. Allen

3. Murray

4. Minshew (He was statistically better than Darnold at everything also)

5. Darnold

6. Baker

7. Jones

8. Lock

9. Haskins

10. Stidham

• Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

I think he's had the most thrown at him at the youngest age.  Jackson got to sit a year.  Baker got a better supporting cast.  Darnold probably is the best QB if he realizes his potential though.  

What is this "best potential" that you speak of?

If you take Darnolds best games and compare them to Lamar, Allen and Mayfield, Darnold is the least impressive of the bunch.

If look back at their college careers, Mayfield and Lamar have shown substantially more potential.

I'm still waiting for Darnold to elevate the team around him.

Lamar took a average running team, and made them the best running team in NFL history. 

Baker gave hope to a 0-16 team.

Josh Allen was the rawest QB of the bunch and has still accomplished more than Darnold.

Don't tell me what he can do. What has Darnold done to make you think he has potential to be than Lamar who was MVP?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, hamat711 said:

What is this "best potential" that you speak of?

If you take Darnolds best games and compare them to Lamar, Allen and Mayfield, Darnold is the least impressive of the bunch.

If look back at their college careers, Mayfield and Lamar have shown substantially more potential.

Allen has always had 

I'm still waiting for Darnold to elevate the team around him. Lamar took a average running team, and made them the best running team ever. 

Baker gave hope to a 0-16 team.

Josh Allen was the rawest QB of the bunch and has still accomplished more.

Don't tell me what he can do. What has Darnold done to make you think he has potential to be than Lamar who was MVP?

When you saddle him with one of the worst OC's in the NFL and absolutely no offensive line... is it right to have any expectations for him other than failure?  Lamar was given John Harbaugh to play for and the best organization in the NFL.  What is Darnold supposed to do with no help?  The last time he had any he won a Rose Bowl.  Kind of makes a difference.

• Upvote 1

Sam Darnold was the 31st ranked passer in 2018 and the 27th ranked passer in 2019. So - he's been one of the least efficient QB's in the league so far. He's a lot closer to Mason Rudolph than Lamar Jackson in terms of efficiency. A lot of potential - needed more help around him, but certainly hasn't looked like the best QB drafted in the last 3 years yet. 

This is super homerific.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1