Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Brown

Is Darnold the Best QB to come out in the Last 3 years?

There is nothing wrong with thinking that Darnold is the best of this group and has the highest ceiling of this group of QB's simply because he hasnt lived up his draft spot yet and/or produced stats like the other guys that are in the league.  So many factors go into the development of a QB and I dont think anyone would argue of the QB's he mentioned in the league, Sam has had by far bar none the worst situation to deal with as the youngest starting QB in the history of the NFL.   I look at Josh Allen, that guy is terrible and if you just look at the stats, he would appear to be head and shoulders better than Sam Darnold but anyone with a discerning interest can see that is just not the case.  

I know Lamar Jackson just blew everyone's mind with the season he had but of the dudes mentioned, I'd honestly argue the player most deserving is Kyler Murrary.  That kid can do everything Lamar does but is just a much better passer IMO.  As much as I love Darnold, I would have to think long and hard between him and Murrary in this exercise.

Situation just plays such a big factor and while I dont see Sam having a Lamar type season, I think the start of his career is 10x different if he landed somewhere else.  

I personally dont like Tua and Burrow.  Tua is a walking egg shell and I have zero confidence he'll ever stay healthy in the NFL and I think of Burrow as flash in the pan, Chris Winkie old man beating up kids, 1 year wonder on an all time team with an all time play caller...nothing about Joe Burrow before last season ever said first overall pick and while he does have great feel and anticipation and ball placement, I just cant help but wonder how much was system driven.  I think both bust but clearly the scouting community completely disagrees, so we shall see.

Gun to head, I'd probably take Darnold but it would hard to overlook Murrary and Jackson.   

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, hamat711 said:

What is this "best potential" that you speak of?

If you take Darnolds best games and compare them to Lamar, Allen and Mayfield, Darnold is the least impressive of the bunch.

If look back at their college careers, Mayfield and Lamar have shown substantially more potential.

I'm still waiting for Darnold to elevate the team around him.

Lamar took a average running team, and made them the best running team in NFL history. 

Baker gave hope to a 0-16 team.

Josh Allen was the rawest QB of the bunch and has still accomplished more than Darnold.

Don't tell me what he can do. What has Darnold done to make you think he has potential to be than Lamar who was MVP?

Other then Lamar, which isnt really something anyone can argue since he won the MVP, are  you really saying Allen and Bake are better because of "hope" and because the Bills team won?  Have you actually watched Josh Allen play?

I think the better way to frame the debate about these guys is - if you gave them all the exact same supporting cast, who of the bunch would you take to lead a 4th quarter, game winning drive?  That is what a team needs in a QB and its something that can't be hidden in team wins or rushing stats.

Lamar is awesome to watch and his stats alone put him in the top spot, whether its warranted or not.  But the fact that Josh Allen has some regular season wins, while sailing balls all over the field, doesn't make him a better QB then Sam.  Baker has also had more "success" but there is no way a sane person is taking him over Sam at this point in their careers.  Personally I think Baker should have a good season this year with the improvements they have made at OT, but again - what has he done to show hes better then Sam especially given the skill position guys he has around him?

Sam has to clean up the turnovers, and some of them are absolutely atrocious, but give Baker or Lamar last years Oline along with Crowder, Robby and Demaryious Thomas and see what happens.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Other then Lamar, which isnt really something anyone can argue since he won the MVP, are  you really saying Allen and Bake are better because of "hope" and because the Bills team won?  Have you actually watched Josh Allen play?

I think the better way to frame the debate about these guys is - if you gave them all the exact same supporting cast, who of the bunch would you take to lead a 4th quarter, game winning drive?  That is what a team needs in a QB and its something that can't be hidden in team wins or rushing stats.

Lamar is awesome to watch and his stats alone put him in the top spot, whether its warranted or not.  But the fact that Josh Allen has some regular season wins, while sailing balls all over the field, doesn't make him a better QB then Sam.  Baker has also had more "success" but there is no way a sane person is taking him over Sam at this point in their careers.  Personally I think Baker should have a good season this year with the improvements they have made at OT, but again - what has he done to show hes better then Sam especially given the skill position guys he has around him?

Sam has to clean up the turnovers, and some of them are absolutely atrocious, but give Baker or Lamar last years Oline along with Crowder, Robby and Demaryious Thomas and see what happens.

1. I never said Baker was better than Darnold. Baker does have a better resume but Darnold did more in 2019 with less.

2. Josh Allen had the most 4th quarter comebacks in 2019. He was also 4th in QB rating in the 4th quarter. The things you want are things Allen excelled in.

3. Robbie Anderson and Jamison Crowder have outperformed John Brown and Cole Beasley in every year they have been in the league besides for 2019. Many people on this board said the Jets weapons were better than the Bills weapons at this point last year. I understand the Jets O line is awful, but the Bills O-line is slightly below average.

let's see. it's espn, talking about a player in the major media market by a guy who went to uconn.  just who would he pick to be the top guy?  imo darnold is in the top 3 to 5 of the guys that came out from 2018 and that's not too shabby, especially since he missed about a third of last season with mono.

On 5/3/2020 at 5:07 PM, hamat711 said:

How many games has Jackson missed due to injuries? 0

How many games has Darnold missed due to injuries? 3

How many games has Wilson missed due to injuries? 0

Projecting career changing injuries is dumb. For all you know, by the time Lamar loses his athleticism, Darnold could already be out the league.

You know how many QBs missed a game rushing last year? 1 and it was Patrick Mahomes on a QB sneak.

Do you know how many QBs got injured passing last year? 5 - Brees, Big Ben, Stafford, Trubisky and Foles.

Talk to me in 5 years after Lamar has had several concussions and a torn ACL

On 5/3/2020 at 5:27 PM, Melly-Mel said:

Imo he has all the potential in the world, and hopefully with the new line and playmakers he will start making larger jumps with his talent and settle in as one of the best qbs in the league.  I see the potential, and hope he puts it all together!

The key is Perriman has to stay healthy