Rhg1084

Ira from Staten Island isn’t going to any Jets games

Until there is a vaccine. NFL should take note 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Ira is a true Jets fan, but I've noticed he always tends to take the side of the host he's calling.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm sure the NFL is re-thinking its entire plan after hearing from Ira in Staten Island.

I'm only being partially facetious here.  Governor Cuomo reported that something like 13.9% of New Yorkers tested positive for COVID antibodies.  This puts the mortality rate at around 0.75% right now for those who have gotten sick.  Let's hope data continues to confirm that the disease was MUCH more prevalent than originally believed because it will mean that it's much less lethal.

There are absolutely certain groups of susceptible people that shouldn't go to large gatherings, concerts, sporting events, etc. without truly adequate protections like a vaccine.  But I'm starting to be of the belief that there will be a smart, safe way to get large groups of people together again without undo risk.  Let's keep our fingers crossed.

NYC is at something like 25%. Westchester and LI are both right around 16%. It's a long time until September and with these antibody tests becoming prevelant we'll have a good idea of the amount of people that were truly infected. 

Hopefully that means they can open up on time and have fans, maybe not full capacity but it should be left up to people if they want to go. 

• Upvote 2

I wish he would stop calling WFAN.  One of the more annoying regulars they have.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Good he was so annoying as he used to have seats next to my brother in law in the old Meadowlands.   I wish he would have done it sooner.

• Thumb Down 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm sure the NFL is re-thinking its entire plan after hearing from Ira in Staten Island.

I'm only being partially facetious here.  Governor Cuomo reported that something like 13.9% of New Yorkers tested positive for COVID antibodies.  This puts the mortality rate at around 0.75% right now for those who have gotten sick.  Let's hope data continues to confirm that the disease was MUCH more prevalent than originally believed because it will mean that it's much less lethal.

There are absolutely certain groups of susceptible people that shouldn't go to large gatherings, concerts, sporting events, etc. without truly adequate protections like a vaccine.  But I'm starting to be of the belief that there will be a smart, safe way to get large groups of people together again without undo risk.  Let's keep our fingers crossed.

I certainly hope so.  However one of the issues when it started was we thought it was only affecting the elderly overweight and unhealthy(that’s what was being reported)But what we’ve learned now is it can affect anyone, maybe some more than others, but there are many people who are Young who are in serious trouble and some who are dying.  There is a Broadway actor named Nick Cordero.  He has had a leg amputated, and has holes in his lungs like a 50year smoker.  Dudes like 30 and was extremely fit.  I’m not a scientist or a doctor so I have no idea what’s going to happen, nor will I try to guess. I hope I am sitting in the stadium at some point this year, but I have already accepted it may not happen.

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, bgivs21 said:

NYC is at something like 25%. Westchester and LI are both right around 16%. It's a long time until September and with these antibody tests becoming prevelant we'll have a good idea of the amount of people that were truly infected. 

Hopefully that means they can open up on time and have fans, maybe not full capacity but it should be left up to people if they want to go. 

I think so and I hope so.  It's unfortunate that this whole pandemic has become a political debate, but we can still look at data and listen to medical professionals about what might/could/should happen.  This idea of "herd immunity" isn't without merit.  If a very large number of people are immune and can't spread the disease then that should help all of us.  If there's a potential treatment (ex. Gilead's remdesivir) then that makes people more comfortable that IF they do actually get sick they have a great chance at recovering.  And then the holy grail....if we eventually get a vaccine then that, for all intents and purposes, ends the risk completely.  But for now, staying away from others has been the smart, safe way to protect ourselves and those most susceptible as we continue to really learn about this disease and how it's operating.

My position has always been that we need to keep cases low enough that we don't overwhelm the healthcare system.  That was the primary concern and why the lockdown was necessary.  The last thing anyone wanted to see in America was people dying in parking lots and hospital lobbies because we didn't have beds to put them.  It was worth the expense and potential overreaction to stock the Javits Center with beds, to bring in the USNS Comfort, etc.  Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, right?

But I'm hopeful we're getting close to eliminating that risk.  We'll see how the numbers change as some states and localities begin to loosen restrictions..... my guess is that the needle will wobble a little bit, we'll see ups and downs from place to place as they try to figure this thing out.  I'm cautiously optimistic that with 4 months until football season we'll find a way to get some management around the entire situation.  We can only hope.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

IRA THE FECKLESS LIBERAL MORE LIKE

Is this your grenade to get the thread locked?

42 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I guess I need to find a new team to root for

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Isn't Ira in his 70's with diabetes and respiratory issues? 

Also not the biggest fan of arena rock , drunkenness and public urination, 

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

If you leave up to people and the owners, i guarantee  you the stadiums will be full. They will gove tickets away for free to fill up the stadiums. 

• Upvote 1

You guys talk crap about Ira however he’s a fan who goes to every game home or away including preseason. He’s a true fan 

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Standard weekend before the lock down?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, bitonti said:

without getting political this is a time where many people have to evaluate what they want vs what they need 

America is a giant Petrie dish. One can only sit back in amazement as the Darwin Awards are dispensed.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yeah and he shouldn’t if he is immune compromised, older, or has diabetes et al

• Upvote 2

I am not going to any sporting event until there is a vaccine 

Its a choice that many people will make 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

There are flu vaccines and people still die of the flu.

Viruses mutate. What works one flu season may not work at all against the next mutation. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Viruses mutate. What works one flu season may not work at all against the next mutation. 

Yet people think a vaccine is the end all be all, but it's not.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Hey!  I'm in my 50's, bro.

SAR I

20 minutes ago, Bugg said:

10 minutes ago, BROOKLYN JET said:

Yet people think a vaccine is the end all be all, but it's not.

The flu shot doesn't need to be 100% effective to be incredibly helpful during flu season. 

The same with a vaccine for COVID. It just needs to protect enough people to prevent an outbreak. 

The question is at what point is the risk minimal and therefore society can return to normal?

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Hey!  I'm in my 50's, bro.

SAR I

Ahead of your time and right on schedule. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The flu shot doesn't need to be 100% effective to be incredibly helpful during flu season. 

The same with a vaccine for COVID. It just needs to protect enough people to prevent an outbreak. 

The question is at what point is the risk minimal and therefore society can return to normal?

Vaccines have risks too, they could be more likely to do damage to you than actual virus.

You can do whatever you want, I'll take my chances without getting one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Isn't Ira in his 70's with diabetes and respiratory issues? 

He has lots of pre-existing conditions, not the least of which is being a Jets fan.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

You guys talk crap about Ira however he’s a fan who goes to every game home or away including preseason. He’s a true fan 

He put himself at more risk going to a Jets game in the Oakland Coliseum than he would spending a week in Wuhan!

:P

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2