Jets have engaged In trade talks about Marcus Maye

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Start with Maye isnt a very good player, he struggled last season. 

Again, where did Gase say this, who's talking for him here.  

DUHHHHH!!!!!...”sources”

• Haha 1

Hard to imagine the third round pick wasn't meant to allow the team to lose Maye or Adams and move on. As pretty much everybody has said Mehta isn't reliable and the pick could have easily been a way for the team to avoid Adams holding the team hostage in negotiations or because they know one of them definitely intends not to re-sign with the team. There are a lot of other reasons why they drafted that have to do with the future of the position over the next year or two. It seems among the probable reasons that getting rid of Maye before even a single day of training camp for a new draft pick is among the least likely. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

Hard to imagine the third round pick wasn't meant to allow the team to lose Maye or Adams and move on. As pretty much everybody has said Mehta isn't reliable and the pick could have easily been a way for the team to avoid Adams holding the team hostage in negotiations or because they know one of them definitely intends not to re-sign with the team. There are a lot of other reasons why they drafted that have to do with the future of the position over the next year or two. It seems among the probable reasons that getting rid of Maye before even a single day of training camp for a new draft pick is among the least likely. 

Depends on what someone offers you for the player.  I think nearly anybody is available for the right price

• Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Thats not the same as he didnt like him. 

A line like I didnt realize how good he was doesnt mean he didnt like him.  

and I bet you think he actually like Le’Veon bell too right ?  He could of gave glowing review of Maye like he did with Adams and darnold . He didn’t . A year later a FS drafted 

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Didn’t teams come looking to trade for Maye a few times before? I seem to remember so. IMO, he’s underrated by fans.

Yes. Mehta literally built this article around this piece of presumably accurate information:

General manager Joe Douglas has fielded trade inquiries and engaged in discussions about Maye in the past year, but chose to keep the free safety (because he’s a very good player).

And then message-board level speculation about Davis and the contracts of Maye and Adams. "Teams Called the Jets About Trading For Marcus Maye Last Year, Were Rebuffed" would be a more accurate headline, but a less exciting one

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Should not trade him for the most part because we have not great depth at safety.  Trading him for a Wr would be stupid unless it is a very good one.  (see the smith schuster thread).

As for the player?  He is a meh player.  He is not all that good, he is not terrible

The first thing Maye should do is fire off some whiny tweets.

Then he should refuse to talk to the coaches or the gm.

Then he should call CJ and cry like a baby to him.

Unfortunately no one would care . Just like no one cared about Quincy complaints 

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Trading him for a Wr would be stupid unless it is a very good one.  (see the smith schuster thread).

The Steelers don’t need either of our safeties, unfortunately. The other team with a glut at receiver, the Broncos, don’t either. Pity.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

The Jets just picked up Adams' nearly $10M fifth-year option. Maye's contract is up after this year. There was never any way the Jets were going to pay both Adams and Maye in 2021. Getting Ashtyn Davis this year gives them the flexibility to move one of those guys this year, if that's what they want to do. 

As has been frequently discussed in these parts, the safety position is a low-value position in the NFL. If the Jets can flip the decent starting caliber Maye for a similar level starter at WR, CB, or interior OL, that would be a big win for Joe Douglas and the Jets that would pay immediate returns this year. Even if they were to get back a player also in the last year of their contract; getting a player at a position that they'd consider extending is better than having a player in Maye who they know today they will be letting walk at the end of the year. That's a move they can make right now if the right offer presents itself. 

Ah, the safety trio....  we barely knew ya! 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Adam Gase wanted to trade Maye upon getting hired last year before level-headed voices convinced him that it would be a mistake (because he’s a very good player), team sources said.

General manager Joe Douglas has fielded trade inquiries and engaged in discussions about Maye in the past year, but chose to keep the free safety (because he’s a very good player).

Only Manish writes like this. To make it perfectly clear to everyone that Gase is the bad guy here. It’s so pathetic. 

Or...it’s accurate and Gase is a lunatic that has no right being an NFL HC.

My guess, it’s likely the latter.

37 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

and I bet you think he actually like Le’Veon bell too right ?  He could of gave glowing review of Maye like he did with Adams and darnold . He didn’t . A year later a FS drafted 

Those are two different players and we can look at how Gase uses Bell.  Maye is used by Willians.  
Maye doesn’t deserve glowing reviews, he struggled last year.  

7 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Those are two different players and we can look at how Gase uses Bell.  Maye is used by Willians.  
Maye doesn’t deserve glowing reviews, he struggled last year.  

This may be the Case.  But Gase has pretty strong track record. if he doesn’t like you . You tend not stick around. Maye is literally in his contract year . And Douglas has not mentioned him once in terms Of resigning him .

where Macc viewed Maye as one of his successful picks and never missed a opportunity to bring him up on interviews. 

• Sympathy 1

Maye is a good starter, but he is up for a new contract after the season. If the Jets have determined that they can't pay both him and Adams, it makes sense to consider moving him now if you can strengthen another position or land a good pick.

If the Jets can land a starting WR, CB or edge for Maye, or acquire a 3rd round pick for next year, then this would be a move worth making - much as I like Maye as a player.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Trading Maye makes sense. The Jets still have quality depth concerns at WR, CB and Edge. Maye is a starting caliber player on the last year of his deal.  If he can bring back a similar talent at either of those positions it would help the overall team more.  I expect Williamson and Winters to be on there way out at some point as well. 

Some WRs who are on the last year of their deals that MAY be available are:

Keenan Allen

TY Hilton

Marvin Jones

Curtis Samuel

56 minutes ago, slats said:

If the Jets can flip the decent starting caliber Maye for a similar level starter at WR, CB, or interior OL, that would be a big win for Joe Douglas and the Jets that would pay immediate returns this year.

the sober person speaks

25 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

This may be the Case.  But Gase has pretty strong track record. if he doesn’t like you . You tend not stick around. Maye is literally in his contract year . And Douglas has not mentioned him once in terms Of resigning him .

where Macc viewed Maye as one of his successful picks and never missed a opportunity to bring him up on interviews. 

Gase doesn’t have a strong record of not liking players.  Every coach trades or cuts players.  
Macc pimping a player he drafted isn’t surprising.  And of course he was fired for those draft picks, wasn’t he? 

• Upvote 1

I like Maye as a player and think his injury history is overstated. He's a FS who provides decent coverage and run stopping ability. If Adams is around next year the three safety idea is something GW could use to good effect.

I don't want to trade him for low value and that's all we'll get with him entering his last year of his rookie contract. Let him play out his contract and hit FA in 2021 and the market will set his value. Re-sign him if the price is right.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

If this is the case we're definitely paying Adams. Also shows they're very high on Davis.

I liked Maye - Think he's a very good player and I'd have been happy to keep him. I'd want something significant in return. 

It's Manish though so he could have made this up over breakfast. 

Maye is a very talented player. I'd want something decent in return for him as well.

Davis is more of a true center field safety which might fit better with Adams who freelances more. 

55 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Curtis Samuel? Juju Smith Schuster? 

I thought Curtis Samuel too but they have Tre Boston and just drafted a talented box safety in Chinn. I don;t think the Steelers would give up Juju for Maye and they have Edmunds and Minkah.