Jets have engaged In trade talks about Marcus Maye

I think Maye is a good player, but not somebody who’s that much of a difference maker at FS. I think this team really believes they got a steal in Ashtyn Davis and think he’s plug in and play.  

I’d prefer a player for player trade for Maye if any of this is true. Like others have mentioned, a WR, an Edge, a CB. Throw in a mid round pick if the player’s a little better than Maye. 

Yeah I’m done listening to this guy, according to his presumptions the Jets would’ve had Logan Ryan by now, traded back with the eagles and traded Williamson and henry Anderson. He’s been way way way off, more than usual! He has nobody in that front office. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Didn’t teams come looking to trade for Maye a few times before? I seem to remember so. IMO, he’s underrated by fans.

he's a good player, i hesitate to say he's an upper tier FS though, you saw it several times this year where he was able to get over and just got beat out for the ball.  The Washington game immediately comes to mind.  That being said he is a good player just not exactly a TRUE FS.  IMO we're forcing him into a centerfield role he's not exactly suited for, in reality he is a rangy SS who offers more coverage flexibility.  While I do think the davis acquisition makes him expendable in the future, I believe he'll be here through the end of this year, and if they can retain him for a fair price they will keep him.  

Having him and Davis being able to play half field coverage gives greg a lot of interesting options defensively.  Alot has been made since the Davis drafting about the 3 safety packages, essentially this is what most people call a big nickle package.  What it will allow Greg to do is have 2 better half field coverage guys back deep and keep Adams in the box as a coverage LB which he will absolutely excel in.  You can also deploy a lot of flexible coverages with Davis having Deep middle then rotating Maye down to the flat with Adams as both are good against the run and short passes. Jets are way better suited for nickle and dime packages now then they were before the draft, which is important because with the way offenses are now in the NFL, your base defense is essentially a nickle. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

LOL

Mehta is doing what he always does.  Same as we do here.  See's the Jets draft a S, already have two good S'.  Aha, the speculation begins.  What's the hidden agenda?  We have already speculated on here about Maye, and or Adams.

Difference is, Mehta is presenting it as "an inside scoop"  It's just a guess on his part.

I'd be willing to bet, at this point, Mehta has 0 inside connections on the Jets.  Not anybody that wants to keep his job anyway.  What Mehta did with Gase's kids name put a new definition to the word Sleez

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I mean we just drafted a replacement. I think the common consensus was Davis meant either Adams or Maye were on their way out. 

If it were for a WR or OL around the same level then I think it's a pretty decent trade off. May explain why we didn't double down at WR.

I can understand the initial concern that only one Wr was drafted however Lawrence Cager and George Cambell  are two undrafted fee agents we signed look real encouraging. Both were expected to be drafted so I don't think we are as bad off as some are stating 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

Why would anyone believe Mehta about anything?  Do we have another source to back it  up?  

It should be a board-requirement to have a corroborating source before we post any Mehta proclamations. 

Dearest Mehta, Are we trading him for Dillard?  

I don't like Mehta, wouldn't shock me if there is no real source. That said I 100% believe this to be true. The moment we took Davis in the 3rd meant Maye's days in NY were numbered. I fully expect him to be traded

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetlife33 said:

Yeah I’m done listening to this guy, according to his presumptions the Jets would’ve had Logan Ryan by now, traded back with the eagles and traded Williamson and henry Anderson. He’s been way way way off, more than usual! He has nobody in that front office. 

Connor Hughes also said the jets are in on Ryan and he easily have the best sources of the group . 

23 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

I can understand the initial concern that only one Wr was drafted however Lawrence Cager and George Cambell  are two undrafted fee agents we signed look real encouraging. Both were expected to be drafted so I don't think we are as bad off as some are stating 

this was a multi year rebuild, you take chances on guys like this in UDFA and give them a chance to shine in the hopes that if they hit it speeds up the process.

I think what fans are upset about is 2 things: 

1) Some are blind to the fact that this would take multiple years to rebuild and expected every position significantly upgraded immediately.

2) With the draft being loaded at WR and OL most thought these would be the two most impacted in this years rebuild.  For whatever reason that did not happen at the WR position in the way they envisioned. 

In reality the jets added a FA with upside, a premiere draft pick, and some high upside UDFA/UFA.  If these guys hit, the jets are in great shape.. If they dont then you have a solid foundation with mims and crowder that you can add to next season since this is again a multi year rebuild.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

If true, the only way I’d be okay with this is if we get a player on offense for this year. Curtis Samuel, JuJu, etc. and I don’t know who in their right mind would do that. If we trade maye for a 4th or 5th like some are suggesting on Twitter that’s a major L. I feel like if that was the case though they would’ve done it during/before the draft.

Maye would have to be pretty cheap unless the deal was done in-season to a playoff caliber team hurting at FS.  He's a good, not great starter, but he'd be a rental for the 2020 season and would enter FA at the end of the year.  What do you give up for that, maybe a 5th round pick?  If you're Gettleman, maybe a 3rd? :P

18 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

If true, the only way I’d be okay with this is if we get a player on offense for this year. Curtis Samuel, JuJu, etc. and I don’t know who in their right mind would do that. If we trade maye for a 4th or 5th like some are suggesting on Twitter that’s a major L. I feel like if that was the case though they would’ve done it during/before the draft.

I tend to think that is where this is coming from.  I imagine that they shopped him during the draft for pick(s).  Now that the press caught wind of it, they are going to act like it is something new.  I am not that high on Maye, but he is good enough that I can understand some team liking him enough to want to make a play for him, I think his value is probably higher than Lewis, Hairston, Demaryius Thomas and Quincy Wilson. 

Got to give Manish credit..  Seems like he finds new and different ways to take shots at Adam Gase every few days.  First, it was the playoff mandate article.  Then the misuse of Le;Veion Bell article a few days later.  And now, from the Maye article:

Adam Gase wanted to trade Maye upon getting hired last year before level-headed voices convinced him that it would be a mistake (because he’s a very good player), team sources said.

General manager Joe Douglas has fielded trade inquiries and engaged in discussions about Maye in the past year, but chose to keep the free safety (because he’s a very good player).

Can't wait to see how he weaves his anti-Gase agenda into a new article by Wed or Thursday of this week.

If this is the case, why wasn't Maye traded during or before the draft.  The Davis pick would have made much more sense then. I like Maye. He is a quiet leader. Doesn't complain or throw fits unlike other safeties on the team. Yes he's been hurt here and there. It's part of the game. When healthy, he's been effective.  And he's not that expensive to retain.  

Marcus Maye signed a 4 year, $6,554,039 contract with the New York Jets, including a $2,906,574 signing bonus, $3,669,485 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $1,638,510. In 2020, Maye will earn a base salary of $1,358,733, while carrying a cap hit of $2,085,378 and a dead cap value of $726,645.

But lets pay another safety 15-18 M who averages  .7 INT's a year.  Yea economics.  

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I would be a bit shocked here.  Unless it’s for a legitimate starting corner of Maye’s talent level or a quality starting caliber guard, allowing us to cut Winters.

makes little sense to trade him otherwise.

We have plenty OL...we need edge rushers & WR’s

if you really want yet another OL then Justin Britt is about to become available 

1 hour ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

this was a multi year rebuild, you take chances on guys like this in UDFA and give them a chance to shine in the hopes that if they hit it speeds up the process.

I think what fans are upset about is 2 things: 

1) Some are blind to the fact that this would take multiple years to rebuild and expected every position significantly upgraded immediately.

2) With the draft being loaded at WR and OL most thought these would be the two most impacted in this years rebuild.  For whatever reason that did not happen at the WR position in the way they envisioned. 

In reality the jets added a FA with upside, a premiere draft pick, and some high upside UDFA/UFA.  If these guys hit, the jets are in great shape.. If they dont then you have a solid foundation with mims and crowder that you can add to next season since this is again a multi year rebuild.

I've been thinking about your #2 a lot because Joe D had multiple opportunities to address WR and really seemed to demonstrate patience almost to the point of disinterest in the position.  We all know the Jets have been needy at WR (even Joe's signals during the season showed this with his acquisitions of Demaryius Thomas and Vyncent Smith).  But here are the facts SINCE the season ended...

1. Showed no urgency with Robby Anderson and let him walk for less than what everyone thought he might get.  Robby's very reasonable deal in Carolina was still something Joe Douglas didn't have an appetite for.

2. QUICKLY pivoted to a low $$ deal for Breshad Perriman (close to a Robby clone)

3. Made very few other moves at WR (we can count Doctson from several months ago)

4. Had the choice of any WR in the entire Draft at #11 and he passed (understandable selection of OT).  Had the choice of very good WRs at #48 (including Denzel Mims) and passed, taking a risk of trading down to #59.  Again, a team with an apparent dire need at WR took a chance that a Top 8 WR who seemed to slip to them would be there later.

5. Had multiple other opportunities to take WRs in the Draft.  Passed at #79 only to watch Oakland take WRs TWICE at 80 and 81 (Edwards and Bowden).  Passed again in the late rounds where guys like Donovan Peoples-Jones, AGG, Proche and others were available to him multiple times in Rounds 4, 5, and 6.

So the question becomes....WHY? I've presented a bunch of data points showing that Joe D time and time again during both FA and the Draft seems to have been actively ignoring a position that most fans feel is a real need.

To me, the answer is simply longterm positional supply and demand in the NFL.  I think Joe D is playing the long game and sees a wave of WR availability coming his way over the next one to two years.  Is WR the next RB position where we're seeing quality guys like Todd Gurley get released and guys like Melvin Gordon get $8M a year?  I posted this in other threads...

With the influx of new WRs to the League during the Draft I can see a lot of quality Tier 2 WRs hitting the market, players that may be expensive to their current teams.  I'm starting to see why Joe D potentially didn't go to the well more often for WRs during the Draft.  He got his guy in Mims....and then hit pause.  I think he wanted to use valuable Draft capital on positions that may not have the oversupply that WR seems like it will have in the next year or so.  Perhaps Joe D has been playing chess here while others (ex. Raiders) were playing checkers? That epic 2014 Draft class of WRs is hitting its prime now, all guys in the 26-28 year range.  And we just added a bunch of new WR talent... 

1094412185_ScreenShot2020-05-03at9_11_47AM.png.4a85fbf3c5fada6c41cccabd5bc3baf3.png

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Veteran wr to come. 

I know he was injured, but a straight up trade of Maye for AJ Green?. Kinda would like a WR younger and not damaged goods, Heck Dallas wants a safety so bad why not trade us Cooper for Maye and like a 3rd rounder next year. That seems somewhat fair.

• WTF? 1

Guys.  I just heard that we drafted James Morgan because Joe Douglas is talking to Chicago about trading Sam.  Totally believable and makes sense.  We should discuss this potential eventuality for the next few pages.  You can totally trust that I am not lying. 

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Someone mentioned the Titans Cory Davis? I think that would be a pretty fair trade & help both teams. 

Corey Davis and John Ross (Bengals) were the two WRs from the 2017 Draft 1st Round who didn't have their 5th year options picked up.  (Mike Williams -Chargers did)

Incidentally, Jamal Adams and Myles Garrett were the only 2 of the Top 6 picks to have their options picked up.

41 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I've been thinking about your #2 a lot because Joe D had multiple opportunities to address WR and really seemed to demonstrate patience almost to the point of disinterest in the position.  We all know the Jets have been needy at WR (even Joe's signals during the season showed this with his acquisitions of Demaryius Thomas and Vyncent Smith).  But here are the facts SINCE the season ended...

1. Showed no urgency with Robby Anderson and let him walk for less than what everyone thought he might get.  Robby's very reasonable deal in Carolina was still something Joe Douglas didn't have an appetite for.

2. QUICKLY pivoted to a low $$ deal for Breshad Perriman (close to a Robby clone)

3. Made very few other moves at WR (we can count Doctson from several months ago)

4. Had the choice of any WR in the entire Draft at #11 and he passed (understandable selection of OT).  Had the choice of very good WRs at #48 (including Denzel Mims) and passed, taking a risk of trading down to #59.  Again, a team with an apparent dire need at WR took a chance that a Top 8 WR who seemed to slip to them would be there later.

5. Had multiple other opportunities to take WRs in the Draft.  Passed at #79 only to watch Oakland take WRs TWICE at 80 and 81 (Edwards and Bowden).  Passed again in the late rounds where guys like Donovan Peoples-Jones, AGG, Proche and others were available to him multiple times in Rounds 4, 5, and 6.

So the question becomes....WHY? I've presented a bunch of data points showing that Joe D time and time again during both FA and the Draft seems to have been actively ignoring a position that most fans feel is a real need.

To me, the answer is simply longterm positional supply and demand in the NFL.  I think Joe D is playing the long game and sees a wave of WR availability coming his way over the next one to two years.  Is WR the next RB position where we're seeing quality guys like Todd Gurley get released and guys like Melvin Gordon get $8M a year?  I posted this in other threads...

You make a great point, first and foremost like I've said before this is a multi year rebuild, and WR's have shown to be something you can add to a team in multiple ways so overpaying for guys doesn't seem to be the model.  If you have a truly dominant WR you pay him, otherwise, it's a position that like you said seems to be increasing in depth around the league.  In fact I believe some teams really believe in the idea of having multiple good WR's instead of focusing on a truly dominant number 1, and feel that it benefits the offensive flow. 

37 WR's drafted.  Just by that sheer volume alone, quality players will be cut this offseason that the jets can add for cheaper than market average deals.  Factor in that next year is also another talented group of WR in the draft, there are just too many opportunities to add good talent at the position without having to seemingly rush like its a fire sale.  I think JD has put together a decent group that has upside.  There is a foundational piece in place hopefully with Mims, and I believe they are playing a wait and see with how Perriman develops. Is it a locked and loaded position group? no, but I believe overall its more talented than last years group, and there is a good deal of upward potential with the players signed already, with the probability that even more quality players can be signed later in the offseason. These players cut may not be foundational pieces, but can hold the fort for another year or two while JD drafts another few good WR's eventually building a very solid foundation at the position. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I would be a bit shocked here.  Unless it’s for a legitimate starting corner of Maye’s talent level or a quality starting caliber guard, allowing us to cut Winters.
makes little sense to trade him otherwise.

Could be something going on behind closed doors? Maybe he made a big thing out of us drafting davis

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using JetNation.com mobile app

56 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Corey Davis and John Ross (Bengals) were the two WRs from the 2017 Draft 1st Round who didn't have their 5th year options picked up.  (Mike Williams -Chargers did)

Incidentally, Jamal Adams and Myles Garrett were the only 2 of the Top 6 picks to have their options picked up.

John ross is exactly the type of low cost value FA i would like to bring in and he fits the speed we are looking for in the offense.