Will you attend games amid pandemic

Will you attend Jet Games amid Pandemic  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend games at Metlife should a season happen?

• YES! I don't miss games, will take my chances
    • Yes. Only if testing is available easily and everyone can be tested
    • Maybe. Let's see where we are at in September
    • No. My health is more important. Will watch on tv.

31 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Posted above that the results were for Phase 1 of the trial.   Encouraging news but still a ways to go.

Agreed.  The article linked says Moderna tested on 8 humans with good results.  Oxford tested on monkeys.  It takes extra time because it is presumed that they need to dose it once and again a month later.  @Philc1 says that they are limiting it to Brit citizens, but that is probably no big deal because Moderna seems further ahead.  They are from Cambridge, but it's Cambridge Mass, not the UK. 

• Sympathy 1

I do not fear this virus. I haven’t feared it since day one. I haven’t missed a day of work since this all started. If I get it I get it. If I die I die. I’m 60 years old. I’m abiding by the social distancing rules and take necessary precautions but the flu virus season is over, Covid is a flu virus and a very bad and deadly one at that but I’ve had enough of this BS. Our liberties and constitutional rights have been shat on. You can disagree and it’s your right but I refuse to live in fear of this virus. I wear a mask in public to respect others who don’t have my mindset. And I’ve done a lot of research on this. Not every scientist, virologist or medical professional agrees with what Fauci and Birx has propagated. Heck they don’t even agree with what they said from month to month. 
Rant is over!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

I do not fear this virus. I haven’t feared it since day one. I haven’t missed a day of work since this all started. If I get it I get it. If I die I die. I’m 60 years old. I’m abiding by the social distancing rules and take necessary precautions but the flu virus season is over, Covid is a flu virus and a very bad and deadly one at that but I’ve had enough of this BS. Our liberties and constitutional rights have been shat on. You can disagree and it’s your right but I refuse to live in fear of this virus. I wear a mask in public to respect others who don’t have my mindset. And I’ve done a lot of research on this. Not every scientist, virologist or medical professional agrees with what Fauci and Birx has propagated. Heck they don’t even agree with what they said from month to month. 
Rant is over!

All of this is fair except COVID is definitely not a flu virus.  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Rant is over!

Curious which of your constitutional rights has been shat on

I don't feel comfortable until a vaccine is in place, it will take time but rest assured I am sure we will come back to normalcy eventually though it can not be rushed. 

I rather watch this upcoming season from my home safely with a nice clear TV image of any sporting events...with a big ole bag of chips and some french onion dip!

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

All of this is fair except COVID is definitely not a flu virus.  

Right?  No disrespect to the person, but how many times does this disinformation get promoted in various media.  The COVID-19 virus is not influenza.  It is a NOVEL (new) coronavirus for which we have no immunity (unlike influenza).  It is in the family of the deadly SARS virus, which is another coronavirus.  The official name of COVID-19 is SARS-CoV-2.

• Upvote 2

52 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Rant is over!

I disagree with much in your post.  You can view my correction to your opinion of Covid being influenza above.

But I wanted to applaud you for how you are respecting others by wearing a mask and abiding social distancing rules.  That says a lot about you as a person.  Again, I might disagree with you, but respect you immensely.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

The public health and safety of the entire populace is a compelling government interest warranting these measures, no matter how tough you are.  Your 1st Amendment rights have not been violated.

Funny how people don't care about rights when people of color or other minority/oppressed groups actually do have their rights taken from them.  

The minute white people can't get a haircut everybody flips out.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I disagree with much in your post.  You can view my correction to your opinion of Covid being influenza above.

But I wanted to applaud you for how you are respecting others by wearing a mask and abiding social distancing rules.  That says a lot about you as a person.  Again, I might disagree with you, but respect you immensely.

Yep, all of this.  

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Right?  No disrespect to the person, but how many times does this disinformation get promoted in various media.  The COVID-19 virus is not influenza.  It is a NOVEL (new) coronavirus for which we have no immunity (unlike influenza).  It is in the family of the deadly SARS virus, which is another coronavirus.  The official name of COVID-19 is SARS-CoV-2.

People who get flu shots still get the flu, hell we aren't immune from the common cold either..

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

People who get flu shots still get the flu, hell we aren't immune from the common cold either..

Yes, we know.  And people die of influenza every year.  Difference is that a SARS-type coronavirus is particularly deadly.  This thing has gone around the world in light speed.  

Right now, John's Hopkins is reporting almost 4.9 million cases worldwide with about 322K deaths (in reality, probably much higher).  The US totals are 1.52 million cases with 91K deaths.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

17 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

The public health and safety of the entire populace is a compelling government interest warranting these measures, no matter how tough you are.  Your 1st Amendment rights have not been violated.

While I can agree with your 1st sentence, I can’t agree with your second sentence and neither can the constitution.

The First Amendment guarantees freedoms concerning religion, expression, assembly, and the right to petition.  It forbids Congress from both promoting one religion over others and also restricting an individual’s religious practices .  It guarantees freedom of expression by prohibiting Congress from restricting the press or the rights of individuals to speak freely.

We are not free to assemble. We are not free to attend a church service.
And you can throw the 2nd Ammendment in there also as in some states as they have prohibited gun and ammunition sales as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

Yes, we know.  And people die of influenza every year.  Difference is that a SARS-type coronavirus is particularly deadly.  This thing has gone around the world in light speed.  

Right now, John's Hopkins is reporting almost 4.9 million cases worldwide with about 322K deaths (in reality, probably much higher).  The US totals are 1.52 million cases with 91K deaths.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

There are also some states revising the cause of some deaths, giving hospitals another 1200 bucks if they report a death due to the virus was probably not a great idea in hindsight..   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

And you can throw the 2nd Ammendment in there also as in some states as they have prohibited gun and ammunition sales as well.

Sure you are.  The pastors/reverends who wish to protect their flock are having church services online.  

It's not ideal at all.  But it's something.  

Moreover, courts have been upholding the 1st Amendment and overturning some of these stay at home orders.  So its not like we're dealing with a military state here.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

While I can agree with your 1st sentence, I can’t agree with your second sentence and neither can the constitution.

The First Amendment guarantees freedoms concerning religion, expression, assembly, and the right to petition.  It forbids Congress from both promoting one religion over others and also restricting an individual’s religious practices .  It guarantees freedom of expression by prohibiting Congress from restricting the press or the rights of individuals to speak freely.

Problem is that public health takes precedence, especially when it is at the level of a pandemic.  Here's one example of many which illustrates what can happen when folks are allowed to assemble in church, etc.:

Two people infected with COVID-19 spread the virus to more than 30 people during church gatherings in Arkansas in early March, before the first case was ever diagnosed in that state, according to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published Tuesday.

The cases illustrate how rapidly the virus can spread to others involved in faith-based organizations, and may have implications for places of worship as churches nationwide figure out how to reopen safely.

The CDC investigation focuses on an outbreak of COVID-19 at an unnamed church in rural Arkansas. According to the report, two people with symptoms of the virus attended children's events at the church from March 6 to 8.

Neither of those two people, who later tested positive for COVID-19, reported traveling outside of the area, and had no known contact with other confirmed cases.

The pastor of the church, along with his wife, developed similar symptoms a few days later, on March 10 and 11.

But before the pastor started feeling ill on March 11, he attended a Bible study group, unknowingly exposing dozens of people to the virus.

Of 92 people identified to have attended one of the church gatherings from March 6 to March 11, 35 later tested positive, including the pastor and his wife. Three people died.

Two children also tested positive, but did not get very sick.

As soon as the church discovered the infections, in-person activities were canceled and the church was closed, the report said. But widespread transmission within the church and in the community had already occurred.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-19-spread-silently-through-rural-arkansas-church-march-cdc-n1210391

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Problem is that public health takes precedence, especially when it is at the level of a pandemic.  Here's one example of many which illustrates what can happen when folks are allowed to assemble in church, etc.:

Two people infected with COVID-19 spread the virus to more than 30 people during church gatherings in Arkansas in early March, before the first case was ever diagnosed in that state, according to a report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published Tuesday.

The cases illustrate how rapidly the virus can spread to others involved in faith-based organizations, and may have implications for places of worship as churches nationwide figure out how to reopen safely.

The CDC investigation focuses on an outbreak of COVID-19 at an unnamed church in rural Arkansas. According to the report, two people with symptoms of the virus attended children's events at the church from March 6 to 8.

Neither of those two people, who later tested positive for COVID-19, reported traveling outside of the area, and had no known contact with other confirmed cases.

The pastor of the church, along with his wife, developed similar symptoms a few days later, on March 10 and 11.

But before the pastor started feeling ill on March 11, he attended a Bible study group, unknowingly exposing dozens of people to the virus.

Of 92 people identified to have attended one of the church gatherings from March 6 to March 11, 35 later tested positive, including the pastor and his wife. Three people died.

Two children also tested positive, but did not get very sick.

As soon as the church discovered the infections, in-person activities were canceled and the church was closed, the report said. But widespread transmission within the church and in the community had already occurred.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/covid-19-spread-silently-through-rural-arkansas-church-march-cdc-n1210391

Yes I saw that article. If assemblies were to mitigate in a proper manner I don’t see a problem going to church.
I work at a chemical company in upstate NY with 1,000 employees and we are deemed an essential business because we make products for many healthcare companies. We have not had 1 case ( so far) in the plant since this started and we have aggressive mitigation practices in place. Everyone has an opinion and many people are living in fear and I’m not saying just go out and be ignorant about what’s happening but let people in common sense and safe ways live their lives. I know people who have died because they were afraid to go to a hospital because they didn’t want to get the virus in a hospital and die. I would like to know how many people who have died because they are not getting medical treatment for strokes and heart attacks and other illnesses that could have been prevented. Nobody seems to be tracking that.  Stroke clinics and elective surgeries are down more than 50% in many areas of the country. Not to mention businesses that will never open again. This solution to the virus is devastating to many people and many people are also dying because of a virus they didn’t get.. And no one is talking about that. My wife works at a hospital and they furloughed a third of their workforce including her. How is it we can stuff a subway full of people and that’s OK but we can’t go to a Sunday church service. 
I guess in the end my friend we can agree to disagree.

And by the way “ GO JETS”

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, MaxAF said:

My first sentence and the Supreme Court's interpretation of the First Amendment over the past 200 years are linked.  Given that your support is a copy and paste job from "quizlet.com" I am going to assume that you're not a lawyer...

Anyway, there arguably is a constitutional discussion to have here! (i.e., is the interest at hand "legitimate," "substantial" or "compelling," are the measures the least restrictive means possible, what standard of judicial review should be applied, etc. etc.).  But for some reason I don't think that's the road we're going down ...

15 minutes ago, MaxAF said:

Yes I saw that article. If assemblies were to mitigate in a proper manner I don’t see a problem going to church.
I work at a chemical company in upstate NY with 1,000 employees and we are deemed an essential business because we make products for many healthcare companies. We have not had 1 case ( so far) in the plant since this started and we have aggressive mitigation practices in place. Everyone has an opinion and many people are living in fear and I’m not saying just go out and be ignorant about what’s happening but let people in common sense and safe ways live their lives. I know people who have died because they were afraid to go to a hospital because they didn’t want to get the virus in a hospital and die. I would like to know how many people who have died because they are not getting medical treatment for strokes and heart attacks and other illnesses that could have been prevented. Nobody seems to be tracking that.  Stroke clinics and elective surgeries are down more than 50% in many areas of the country. Not to mention businesses that will never open again. This solution to the virus is devastating to many people and many people are also dying because of a virus they didn’t get.. And no one is talking about that. My wife works at a hospital and they furloughed a third of their workforce including her. How is it we can stuff a subway full of people and that’s OK but we can’t go to a Sunday church service. 
I guess in the end my friend we can agree to disagree.

And by the way “ GO JETS”

The practical considerations of re-opening areas and industries that are less affected than others is a conversation we should be having all the time.  I live in NYC in  one of those areas where we live literally on top of each other, and do stuff ourselves into subway cars every morning.  Your part of NY should fortunately be opening up a lot faster (and I am jealous of you).

(Also: while I am not discounting that people are truly and seriously affected by being socially distant, I am convinced that the sentence I bolded above is a completely overstated, nonsense talking point pushed by certain individuals I won't name because I respect Max and love posting here)

4 hours ago, Wonderboy said:

90,000 who have died, probably way more from this already, beg to differ.

Dr. Deborah Birx Pops Off in White House Task Force Meeting: ‘There Is Nothing From the CDC That I Can Trust’

TENSION
Published May. 09, 2020 9:30PM ET 

GettyImages-1207526470_htcbec

Drew Angerer/Getty

The White House’s coronavirus task force has been facing mounting tension between members, The Washington Post reports. During a meeting Wednesday, Dr. Deborah Birx, who heads the group, reportedly said to Robert Redfield, the director of the Center for Disease Control, “There is nothing from the CDC that I can trust.” Birx and others in the task force reportedly believed that the CDC methods for tracking the virus’ fatality rate and confirmed cases had inflated the statistics by up to 25 percent. Contrary to data from Johns Hopkins, which shows daily coronavirus deaths in the U.S. staying steady at 2,000 per day for several weeks, Birx said in a statement to the Post, “Mortality is slowly declining each day.”

• Thumb Down 1

There are also reports out of Florida and Georgia that stats reported were fudged (to lower the curve and make reopening look good) and the head of statistics in Florida was fired https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2020/05/18/censorship-covid-19-data-researcher-removed-florida-moves-re-open-state/5212398002/ for what she claims was being too honest. In Georgia the Atlanta Journal-Constitution exposed tactics used (to make the curve look flatter they changed the dates) and finally the state gov (only after they were caught) admitted it. https://www.salon.com/2020/05/19/brian-kemp-apologizes-after-georgia-website-incorrectly-shows-downward-trend-in-covid-19-infections_partner/  I mean come on man, just give the public the facts. Is this a trend in faking the counts. If so where does it stop. Labor stats, economy, etc. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I would go. I live in Dallas and have not changed one thing about my life. If I lived in a nursing home I might be nervous. Otherwise its a part of life and I'm not going to give up my lifestyle or ability to earn a living. 

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Well you won't get immunity staying inside.

38 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

There are also reports out of Florida and Georgia that stats reported were fudged (to lower the curve and make reopening look good) and the head of statistics in Florida was fired https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2020/05/18/censorship-covid-19-data-researcher-removed-florida-moves-re-open-state/5212398002/ for what she claims was being too honest. In Georgia the Atlanta Journal-Constitution exposed tactics used (to make the curve look flatter they changed the dates) and finally the state gov (only after they were caught) admitted it. https://www.salon.com/2020/05/19/brian-kemp-apologizes-after-georgia-website-incorrectly-shows-downward-trend-in-covid-19-infections_partner/  I mean come on man, just give the public the facts. Is this a trend in faking the counts. If so where does it stop. Labor stats, economy, etc. 

Do you honestly think this is the first time state/federal governments have fudged numbers? 

If I had to guess the Covid death toll has been miscounted and mismeasured in both directions. Some of it to fit an agenda and some of it as a product of the chaos. If a person in hospice who is on the verge of death from Cancer gets covid and dies, they aren't doing an autopsy to figure out exactly what killed that person, covid or the cancer. One hospital may list it as a covid death while another lists it as non-covid. 

39 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

I would go. I live in Dallas and have not changed one thing about my life. If I lived in a nursing home I might be nervous. Otherwise its a part of life and I'm not going to give up my lifestyle for something that is not that contagious in the real world. 

Your outcome may have been different if you pulled the "I ain't changing my lifestyle" shtick while living in Brooklyn and needing to use the subway system to get to work.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, MaxAF said:

Rant is over!

tumblr_me86j8fsUR1qedb29o1_r1_500.gif

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Do you honestly think this is the first time state/federal governments have fudged numbers? 

If I had to guess the Covid death toll has been miscounted and mismeasured in both directions. Some of it to fit an agenda and some of it as a product of the chaos. If a person in hospice who is on the verge of death from Cancer gets covid and dies, they aren't doing an autopsy to figure out exactly what killed that person, covid or the cancer. One hospital may list it as a covid death while another lists it as non-covid. 

There is no political plot to overcount deaths. 

On 5/18/2020 at 2:11 PM, bitonti said:

it's here broseph

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/05/18/coronavirus-vaccine-moderna-oxford-covid-19-positive-antibodies/5213337002/

as for attending the games The Jets have been so crappy they'd have to pay me to go, and that was before the virus 

Lol ? it’s like kicking a FG on the opening drive and thinking you’ve won the a Super Bowl. It’s going to be a long long journey. They have to make sure through exhausting clinical trials that whatever vaccine they make won’t end up killing people or getting them severely ill.  In the very least, that’s another 18 months away if all goes right. And when do all things go right?  It could take years.  HIV doesn’t even have a vaccine and that’s been around since the 80’s. And if they develop a vaccine, the issue becomes distributing it to the WORLD. It’s freaking everywhere.  Of course, this is where social classes will come into play. This will be no quick fix. But hey go get a haircut down south.

• Upvote 1

Your outcome may have been different if you pulled the "I ain't changing my lifestyle" shtick while living in Brooklyn and needing to use the subway system to get to work.  

It’s not shtick here in Texas. I don’t live in NY. Y’all can deal with it however you want, but if not affected the same then things shouldn’t be treated the same. My brother lives in NYC and he doesn’t see it the same as I do. Then again he disagrees with me on a lot of things. I knew I shouldn’t have replied because life is way different here in Texas. Always has been and always will be.