Will you attend games amid pandemic

Will you attend Jet Games amid Pandemic  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend games at Metlife should a season happen?

• YES! I don't miss games, will take my chances
    • Yes. Only if testing is available easily and everyone can be tested
    • Maybe. Let's see where we are at in September
    • No. My health is more important. Will watch on tv.

4 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

The public health and safety of the entire populace is a compelling government interest warranting these measures, no matter how tough you are.  Your 1st Amendment rights have not been violated.

LOL -- apparently .2% of the population is now known as "the entire populace" . . .

5 hours ago, MaxAF said:

I do not fear this virus. I haven’t feared it since day one. I haven’t missed a day of work since this all started. If I get it I get it. If I die I die. I’m 60 years old. I’m abiding by the social distancing rules and take necessary precautions but the flu virus season is over, Covid is a flu virus and a very bad and deadly one at that but I’ve had enough of this BS. Our liberties and constitutional rights have been shat on. You can disagree and it’s your right but I refuse to live in fear of this virus. I wear a mask in public to respect others who don’t have my mindset. And I’ve done a lot of research on this. Not every scientist, virologist or medical professional agrees with what Fauci and Birx has propagated. Heck they don’t even agree with what they said from month to month. 
Rant is over!

Damn man you are the toughest mofo ever. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MaxAF said:

While I can agree with your 1st sentence, I can’t agree with your second sentence and neither can the constitution.

The First Amendment guarantees freedoms concerning religion, expression, assembly, and the right to petition.  It forbids Congress from both promoting one religion over others and also restricting an individual’s religious practices .  It guarantees freedom of expression by prohibiting Congress from restricting the press or the rights of individuals to speak freely.

We are not free to assemble. We are not free to attend a church service.
And you can throw the 2nd Ammendment in there also as in some states as they have prohibited gun and ammunition sales as well.

You don't need church to practice religion. So there's that. 

24 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

It’s not shtick here in Texas. I don’t live in NY. Y’all can deal with it however you want, but if not affected the same then things shouldn’t be treated the same. My brother lives in NYC and he doesn’t see it the same as I do. Then again he disagrees with me on a lot of things. I knew I shouldn’t have replied because life is way different here in Texas. Always has been and always will be.

You're right only steers and queers come from texas

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

Lol ? it’s like kicking a FG on the opening drive and thinking you’ve won the a Super Bowl. It’s going to be a long long journey. They have to make sure through exhausting clinical trials that whatever vaccine they make won’t end up killing people or getting them severely ill.  In the very least, that’s another 18 months away if all goes right. And when do all things go right?  It could take years.  HIV doesn’t even have a vaccine and that’s been around since the 80’s. And if they develop a vaccine, the issue becomes distributing it to the WORLD. It’s freaking everywhere.  Of course, this is where social classes will come into play. This will be no quick fix. But hey go get a haircut down south.

Total U.S. death rate is below average, CDC says

By Allison Bell | April 17, 2020 at 08:34 AM | The original version of this story was published on ThinkAdvisor

Previous
2020-4-15-flu-like-illness-activity-week-ending-3-28_CDC-MMWR_MI.jpg

This CDC map shows “flu-like activity” hammering most of the United States in late March…

2020-4-15-flu-like-illness-activity-week-ending-4-4_CDC-MMWR_MI.jpg

this CDC map shows flu-like activity still hitting hard in much of the country in early April, and…

2020-4-15-flu-and-pneumonia-mortality-week-ending-3-28_CDC-MMWR_MI-1.jpg

this CDC chart shows deaths from flu-like illnesses and pneumonia spiking in the last week in March. A similar chart for early April is not yet available.

Next

The United States may have managed to keep the COVID-19 pandemic from becoming a major killer.

The virus that causes COVID-19 pneumonia and heart inflammation, severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), has infected about 644,000 people in the United States and killed about 29,000.

Public health officials worry the pandemic may just be starting to move into some communities.

But the National Center for Health Statistics, an arm of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, has released a weekly COVID-19 activity report with maps suggesting that the United States might be getting the pandemic under control, and that the country still has a chance to hold overall mortality within relatively normal levels.

Resources

The CDC bases some of its COVID-19 tracking charts and maps on data on confirmed cases of people with COVID-19.

The CDC bases other charts and maps on data on all kinds of cases of pneumonia and “influenza-like illnesses.”

Even if states had trouble keeping track of COVID-19 cases, a severe COVID-19 outbreak would lead to increases the number of people going to doctor for influenza-like illnesses, or dying from “pneumonia and influenza.”

A severe COVID-19 outbreak that killed people without causing pneumonia would show up in the CDC’s “deaths from all causes” data.

Deaths

The new weekly COVID-19 report shows that the percentage of all U.S. deaths caused by pneumonia and influenza spiked to epidemic levels in the week ending March 28 — the last week in the pneumonia and influenza chart.

But, even at the end of March, the percentage of all deaths recorded as being caused by pneumonia or influenza was still below the level recorded in late 2017.

A set of tables linked to that chart shows that states first began reporting a significant number of deaths caused by COVID-19 during the week ending March 21.  The percentage of all deaths classified as being caused by COVID-19 increased to 11 percent during the week ending April 11, from 1percent  during the week ending March 21.

The death count totals for the weeks ending April 4 and April 11 are still incomplete. The CDC death count tables for earlier weeks show that, from the week ending Feb. 1 through the week ending March 28, the average number of deaths was about 6 percent below the three-year average.

The influenza-like illness activity maps

The weekly COVID-19 report also includes two maps, for influenza-like illness activity, that suggest that efforts to close schools and get people to stay home might be slashing the overall level influenza-like illness activity.

The map for the week ending March 28 shows high or very high influenza-like illness activity in most of the country.

The map for the week ending April 4, after many states had imposed strict “shelter in place” rules, shows that the activity level in most states fell to a moderate level or lower.

The states that reported very high influenza-like illness activity levels for the week ending April 4 are Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Rhode Island, and South Carolina.

Office visits

The weekly COVID-19 report also includes a chart show trends in outpatient office visits for influenza-like illness as a percentage of all office visits.

The typical level is 2 percent.

The level for the week ending April 4 was 3.9 percent, but that’s down from a recent peak of about 6.4 percent during the week ending March 21.

CDC weekly COVID-19 death counts

Week ending date

COVID-19 Deaths

Deaths from All Causes

Percent of Expected Deaths

Feb. 1 0 56,557 95
Feb. 8 0 57,067 96
Feb. 15 0 56,079 95
Feb. 22 0 55,605 96
Feb. 29 5 54,900 96
March 7 19 54,222 94
March 14 44 52,187 91
March 21 447 51,428 91
March 28 2,205 51,602 92
April  4* 4,462 46,917 84
April 11* 2,499 22,012 40
* Reporting for these weeks is still incomplete.
Source: U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics, Provisional Death Counts for Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19).

9 hours ago, Ghost420 said:

True bro. But the right to assemble is a constitutional right. And it’s time to let people do that in a responsible way.

• Upvote 2

Yup. I'm 90% sure I already caught it and if not I'm not worried. I want to take this time to travel all over cheap, but sadly we've flatlined the econemy so I'll be working.

I'm in the middle camp. I don't think it's BS, but I don't think it's much worse than the flu for around 99% of us, so why aren't we focusing on them instead of breaking everything?

On 5/18/2020 at 2:15 PM, Prez33 said:

Useless? You’re telling me a properly fitted N95 on a healthy person going into the supermarket is no more safe than going in with nothing? A barrier vs no barrier with a virus that can be transmitted via droplets in the eyes and respiratory tract. 

Not trying to be confrontational about it. It’s a serious question. 

I’m not looking to get into the middle of this debate or be “confrontational about it” either, and I’m no expert on COVID-19, but I’ve been wearing quality masks for years to protect my eyes & lungs from woodworking sawdust. You should be aware your comment is often untrue in terms of stopping societal spread (putting aside the fact that few are wearing N95 masks).

As far as a healthy (uninfected/noncontagious) person, yes I’m sure you’re generally correct.

However if a properly-fitted N95 mask (or any mask) has an exhale valve, as many do, an unknowingly infected/contagious person wearing it will be exhaling unfiltered; spreading it onto supermarket food and anything else you’re buying/touching/wearing after at person passes by. A sick person can thus still infect you and things on you: any/all other surfaces like your clothing, your hair you’re going to unconsciously run your fingers through after you’re home after you’ve washed/sanitized your hands, or touching now-contaminated things then touching your eyes due to a lifetime of reflexive habit (especially during allergy seasons), etc. And few are in stores wearing virus-shielding eye protection (think water-tight swim goggles) anyway.

Such a high percentage of the sleeker-looking amazon.com masks I see people wearing - probably with questionable filtration quality in the first place - have these exhale valves. Hey it’s a great design for helping keep your glasses/goggles from fogging up, and clearing out CO2 so you’re not breathing it back in, but to the best of my knowledge there is no filtration when exhaling through them. 

Decide for yourself or do research how risky that is for you - we’re clearly not all equally susceptible - but know those mask designs are only protecting the wearer from others, not protecting others from the wearer.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Good post, a lot to read.  What’s the bottom line here?

the data is s--t in terms of what's needed to make a conclusion 

and Apr 11 was over a month ago 

Again no one knows what is going to happen,

it's going to be a crazy summer both good (miracles) and bad (obvious)

here's the optimistic viewpoint for NFL fans

maybe they rush a vaccine through in time for some kind of late season/playoff attendance and maybe they delay the season 2 weeks just to push everything out to Feb 28 SB

It's a fairly bleak opinion to believe the vaccine won't arrive because of HIV. it's also bleak to assume there will be 3 waves like 1918. these are all different viruses, and some or more complicated or wirey than others. This one seems to not be mutating and be relatively simple RNA wise.  

even after the vaccine is proven safe it's going to take time to ramp up to a billion doses

the supply chain problems would be in needles and glass or whatever they make these things out of

there's not a billion little syringes waiting to be filled that's the issue

not the science of whether the vaccine kills monkeys or not 

real bottom line there will be football but it's questionable how many fans can attend

like maybe if your son is Jamal Adams you can go but otherwise maybe 200-300 people or less (staff, security, coaches, players, owners, everything) in that building that can seat 80k when the game is played 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MaxAF said:

True bro. But the right to assemble is a constitutional right. And it’s time to let people do that in a responsible way.

I don't think "responsible" assembly was ever restricted.  It was when too many people gathered and weren't practicing social distancing that they got broken up, no?

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’m not looking to get into the middle of this debate or be “confrontational about it” either, and I’m no expert on COVID-19, but I’ve been wearing quality masks for years to protect my eyes & lungs from woodworking sawdust. You should be aware your comment is often untrue in terms of stopping societal spread (putting aside the fact that few are wearing N95 masks).

As far as a healthy (uninfected/noncontagious) person, yes I’m sure you’re generally correct.

However if a properly-fitted N95 mask (or any mask) has an exhale valve, as many do, an unknowingly infected/contagious person wearing it will be exhaling unfiltered; spreading it onto supermarket food and anything else you’re buying/touching/wearing after at person passes by. A sick person can thus still infect you and things on you: any/all other surfaces like your clothing, your hair you’re going to unconsciously run your fingers through after you’re home after you’ve washed/sanitized your hands, or touching now-contaminated things then touching your eyes due to a lifetime of reflexive habit (especially during allergy seasons), etc. And few are in stores wearing virus-shielding eye protection (think water-tight swim goggles) anyway.

Such a high percentage of the sleeker-looking amazon.com masks I see people wearing - probably with questionable filtration quality in the first place - have these exhale valves. Hey it’s a great design for helping keep your glasses/goggles from fogging up, and clearing out CO2 so you’re not breathing it back in, but to the best of my knowledge there is no filtration when exhaling through them. 

Decide for yourself or do research how risky that is for you - we’re clearly not all equally susceptible - but know those mask designs are only protecting the wearer from others, not protecting others from the wearer.

Spot on man. You’re probably one of those guys who actually reads the information and spec. sheet that came with the box of masks. ?

By the way I’m a woodworker too. Used to build custom furniture and had a side business.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Interesting. Thanks for the information. Makes sense. Mine doesn’t have an exhalation valve. I wear it for a week and replace it. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, MaxAF said:

The problem is ppl arent responsible. Im not disagreeing with opening places up but just letting it be a free for all is a recipe for disaster. 

On 5/19/2020 at 7:43 PM, DJF71 said:

It’s not shtick here in Texas. I don’t live in NY. Y’all can deal with it however you want, but if not affected the same then things shouldn’t be treated the same. My brother lives in NYC and he doesn’t see it the same as I do. Then again he disagrees with me on a lot of things. I knew I shouldn’t have replied because life is way different here in Texas. Always has been and always will be.

Here in Virginia they opened up stage 1 in all the state except for the three largest counties. We have to wait two more weeks. I think that’s a reasonable approach and speaks to the fact that area and population density is a major factor. 

On 5/19/2020 at 8:05 PM, Ghost420 said:

The point is  first amendment bars the government from telling you or anyone how where, where to practice their religion

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, talisaynon said:

Wouldn’t be opposed to them playing In Vietnam or something where it’s covid free. They could isolate the players and still have them play a complete 16 game season. I just want football idc

Think Florida might be more cost effective then Viet Nam.  But then again the parking permits will probably be cheaper so there's that.  

2 hours ago, 20andOut said:

The point is  first amendment bars the government from telling you or anyone how where, where to practice their religion

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Cry me  River. At least now they won't be having their money robbed from the baskets they pass around in church

• Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

Lots of politics in this thread its gonna get shut down if it creeps up any more than it already has.

Me? I was seriously concerned over Covid19 from the get go. I did everything right to be responsible. Now, my opinion has changed. Hell no I dont want to get it but if I do then I do. Right now, whether some of you want to hear this or not, the trend has CLEARLY tilted to positive news. Its not as deadly as first suspected, it doesnt linger on items for a long time, hospital beds are available and the numbers, or "rates" are skewed to make it look worse than it is. You cant count a guy that tests positive for covid as a covid death when he got hit by a train. The more you test, the more you will see that people had it and were asymptomatic and the death rate gets smaller and smaller. It cant get bigger

I think people, for the most part, are way more cautious. No more hugs and kisses to the secrectary you worked with in 1999 after a chance meeting in the grocery store. People arent in your face, people (like me) stopped chewing their nails, everyone washes their hands and few of us are going to mass gathering and yelling to one another over loud music.

Thats stopping it.

I think the one way you can catch this for the most part is being in someones face while they spray you with microscopic droplets. Im not getting it from my amazon package.

But yes, I will go to games if I can get tickets. You can easily have half capacity and an empty seat in between if your worried. 

And the constitutional question is an interesting one. I happen to be one that takes a literal interpretation of the constitution and it clearly says that govt cannot stop anyone from gathering so even though I think those that want to argue this are a bunch of suckers that are looking to stir up drama, the suckers are right.

People have a right to gather if they chose to

Tell you guys a funny story. Went to the beach a few days ago. Invited the sister in law and the wife of a friend of ours because she was nearby and furloughed. 

well, there we are all settled in and this crazy bitch went on and on and on in the most smug way imaginable claiming that the whole Covid thing was a planned scam. She claimed that she had information that NO hospitals in NYCV were overwhelmed, the meat trucks not real and that if we wanted to go to youtube and watch DR. XXXXX we would be "enlightened". Well it got uncomfortable because all we wanted to do was have some champagne, nibble on some legal weed gummies and listen to music.

This idiot would stop for a few, and then get right back to it. She told me she never understood how germans circa 1935 could follow Hitler but she now understand how an angry populace can become rebels. I told her thats odd because I "couldnt be any happier". So I let her steam in her own juice.

Finally she invited us to her block party stating that she and her husband are over it and WILL NO LONGER social distance. yea, right were gonna hang out again real soon lol

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

And the constitutional question is an interesting one. I happen to be one that takes a literal interpretation of the constitution and it clearly says that govt cannot stop anyone from gathering so even though I think those that want to argue this are a bunch of suckers that are looking to stir up drama, the suckers are right.

People have a right to gather if they chose to

I don't think people realize that anything these governors say are GUIDELINES, not LAWS.

They technically can't do anything if/when people break them (other than issuing summons that would get thrown out once they got to court).

Having said that, I'm not advocating mass rebellion, but I wouldn't call people who are about to lose their businesses "suckers" . . .

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

As of today with quite a few votes only 24% say they would def go to game. 

A more accurate poll would have included age/health.

Some people are flat-out paranoid and think the world should stop for a .2% mortality rate, while others have relevant concerns due to their own personal situation . . .

1 hour ago, OCCH23 said:

A more accurate poll would have included age/health.

Some people are flat-out paranoid and think the world should stop for a .2% mortality rate, while others have relevant concerns due to their own personal situation . . .

Maybe, the comments reflect many of the fans concerns themselves. Not everyone who said No is 70 +

On 5/20/2020 at 9:14 AM, Sperm Edwards said:

In the case of Covid like illnesses, it’s thought to be the  opposite.  Masks protect others more than they protect you.  Covid spreads via droplets, so when you cough or talk, those masks serve to catch some of the large discharges with a significant amount of viral load..  A little mist will penetrate and fall to the ground, but catching 75% of the viral load is a big deal.

on the other hand, if someone sneezes without a mask into the air, and you walk through it, your mask might only block a small fraction, as it’s already dispersed into the air.

Anyway, something is better than nothing so wearing one is always recommended.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Hael said:

In the case of Covid like illnesses, it’s thought to be the  opposite.  Masks protect others more than they protect you.  Covid spreads via droplets, so when you cough or talk, those masks serve to catch some of the large discharges with a significant amount of viral load..  A little mist will penetrate and fall to the ground, but catching 75% of the viral load is a big deal.

on the other hand, if someone sneezes without a mask into the air, and you walk through it, your mask might only block a small fraction, as it’s already dispersed into the air.

Anyway, something is better than nothing so wearing one is always recommended.

I didn't say there was no physical barrier at all, but you are not exhaling through a filter. 

Nope!

I live in a home where others are in the risk category, I do plan on getting gamepass this season and sitting on my ass with a bowl of chips and home made rotel dip by the Mrs watching this upcoming season though!

On 5/21/2020 at 9:44 AM, kevinc855 said:

As of today with quite a few votes only 24% say they would def go to game. 

And let me tell you something, Kevin, if a reliable sample reflective of the population exists out there to be polling on this subject, it's the membership of JetNation. Color me convinced.