Good Jetswire Piece on Becton

37 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Mostly stuff we've seen before, but some new detail

The underlined portions jumped out at me. The kid is very very motivated - not only did he stick to the plan after it was given to him, but the impetus was him reaching out on his own, not team directed. That's huge

Have you seen his basketball playing girlfriend?

I don't think it's a coincidence that Becton's "self motivated" concern for conditioning started at the same time he hooked up with her. 

57 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Mostly stuff we've seen before, but some new detail

The underlined portions jumped out at me. The kid is very very motivated - not only did he stick to the plan after it was given to him, but the impetus was him reaching out on his own, not team directed. That's huge

Let's hire this guy for Asst. Trainer ! Read the highlighted text below. This guy thinks thru how to help the player's body. Not how much you can lift but how to add strength without wearing down the body. 

Louisville’s philosophy in the weight room is all about bridging the gap between the gym and the field, according to Sirignano, meaning they try to focus less on heavy lifting and more on powerful movements. They did almost all their workouts on their feet instead of sitting down, which included jumps, cleans, cuts and Olympic lifts to mimic the force players apply to the ground.

Those types of moments can complicate things for a 360-pound human such as Becton, though. Even though he proved incredibly athletic for his frame, Becton was still exerting more than 1,000 pounds of force when he ran. That puts a lot of pressure on your body and leads to lots of wear and tear and ultimately injury if not monitored. Luckily for Becton, he missed only one game during his career at Louisville with an ankle injury, and a lot of that can be attributed to the work of Matt Summers’ athletic training team.

“We were able to be creative with him,” Summers said about Becton’s training. “It was truly a team approach and I think for him specifically, it was about monitoring his load but still getting great output from a conditioning standpoint.”

That meant reducing the force Becton exerted with different types of conditioning like underwater treadmills and the incorporation of exercises centered around strengthening the ankle and the shoulder – two areas of the body Summers said are highly-susceptible to injuries in young offensive linemen. 

“He bought into that,” Summers said. “He had a great trust, I think, in what we’re trying to do and had no issues with that for him.”

Ledford, Sirignano, Artner and Summers were all pieces of the puzzle that helped turn Becton into a 364-pound lineman with 17 percent body fat who could run a 5.11 40-yard dash. It was a lot of work, but Becton never shied away from doing anything and everything to become one of the best and strongest linemen in the 2020 draft.

• Upvote 4